• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Is this playable/enjoyable on m/kb? Asking for a friend that is interested in the game but does not like playing games with a controller. I feel like it might not work very well on a m/kb due to all the stance/weapon switching mid-combos...

Everything is remappable and it's perfectly playable with m/kb. If your friend has played any of the souls games or sekiro with m/kb then they'll be fine.

It's not a good way to play the game. It functions in a literal sense but it's not intuitive or fun to play that way.

Not to talk shit about your friend but I have no idea why some people are so against using controllers for games designed around controller on PC. I see people absolutely struggling to force themselves to play certain games on kb/m in the PC community all the time and I'm always left asking why people put themselves through that.

On the other side I also don't get why people think playing a third person action game with m/kb is bad by default. All you are doing is moving around and pointing a camera, which is better on a mouse than a stick. You can also do things like sprint around while looking and not have to use claw grip stuff that you would on a pad. Even back to Arkham Asylum and City on PC the m/kb controls have worked great for third person action games.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
All you are doing is moving around and pointing a camera, which is better on a mouse than a stick. You can also do things like sprint around while looking and not have to use claw grip stuff that you would on a pad.
Positioning your character is really important in 3rd person melee games, so analog movement helps more than fast, precise camera placement IMO. If you have a controller with paddles you can use one of them for sprinting too.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Performance is great with the latest patch and everything maxed out at 4k on my 3080. Really smooth.

Only annoyance is I wish they'd let you increase the geometry and shadow LoDs further because they seem to be stuck pretty low around console quality causing noticeable pop-in. Needs some ultra settings.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Do you use the default settings or have you remapped a few keys? If so, can you share your config?

I can't quite remember what I changed but I would just say to take the stuff that is on button combinations and put it on singular buttons if that's your preference. The stance switch for example.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Performance is great with the latest patch and everything maxed out at 4k on my 3080. Really smooth.

Only annoyance is I wish they'd let you increase the geometry and shadow LoDs further because they seem to be stuck pretty low around console quality causing noticeable pop-in. Needs some ultra settings.
It is actually distracting.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Damn ok.
I've been getting a weird stutter running around levels that seems to be related to assets loading in.
Very annoying.
Has the lastest patch addressed that at all?

If by stutter you mean, a framerate drop then back to normal running around, yes that is happening in Nioh 2 PC. Nioh 1 PC has the same issue, how they didn't fix that between the two I dunno, but it's annoying. Anyone saying they don't have that issue, just doesn't notice it, since it's easily repeatable in the same locations on maps. Similar to how load stutters happen in Jedi Fallen Order, which were always repeatable in the same locations.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If by stutter you mean, a framerate drop then back to normal running around, yes that is happening in Nioh 2 PC. Nioh 1 PC has the same issue, how they didn't fix that between the two I dunno, but it's annoying. Anyone saying they don't have that issue, just doesn't notice it, since it's easily repeatable in the same locations on maps. Similar to how load stutters happen in Jedi Fallen Order, which were always repeatable in the same locations.
Yes that it.
Its really annoying and offputting.
As you say it always happens in the same points of the level.
Sometimes during fights by chance. Which in this game can literally kill you.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Yes that it.
Its really annoying and offputting.
As you say it always happens in the same points of the level.
Sometimes during fights by chance. Which in this game can literally kill you.

I assume the severity of that stutter varies by hardware (probably CPU and/or storage?) because for me it's the tiniest of blips. I notice it from time to time, but it's about the same as a very minor framepacing hitch. Certainly nothing that would get me killed during combat. Since it happens on all platforms it's definitely an engine-level issue related to asset streaming.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
If I wanted to jump in, do I need to play Nioh, or can I skip it? Basically which is the better game?

LatscherGnu

Apr 23, 2018
If I wanted to jump in, do I need to play Nioh, or can I skip it? Basically which is the better game?

Nioh 2 reuses a lot from Nioh 1 and is generally considered the improved/expanded/better game. The story is a collection of scenes from alt history yokai infested japan and only really makes sense if you know japanese history of the era and if you do you already know what happens and the order doesn't really matter. Add starting as a prequel to all that... feel free to go right into Nioh 2 if you want.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Nioh 2 reuses a lot from Nioh 1 and is generally considered the improved/expanded/better game. The story is a collection of scenes from alt history yokai infested japan and only really makes sense if you know japanese history of the era and if you do you already know what happens and the order doesn't really matter. Add starting as a prequel to all that... feel free to go right into Nioh 2 if you want.
Cool, perfect for what I am looking for. Sekira has left a void and Jedi FO is nowhere near that. This has the aesthetic and seems to have fast combat (doesn't have to be like Sekiro, as long as responsive). And I'm pretty familiar with that era of Japanese history so all good.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good HDR setup guide somewhere?

Maybe something that gives the best settings for a specific tv model?

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

If you've not already grabbed it, I'll add that I never played the first one and I'm having a good time. There's enough tutorial sections to get you into how everything works.

My beginner tip that I found out: Use the gunpowder bombs you pick up to increase your Ninjutsu stat enough to get your first point. Then you can get reusable items to keep levelling it up.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having trouble doing co-op due to "room status change" and steam won't seem to sync with cloud saves
I just alt-tab when I'm looking for co-op play, my experience so far is that at some point you will get a match. There's a distinctive sound when you match up to someone, so that's when you tab back in.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So huh... Can you actually switch the game to offline mode on PC?

Looking online I see people saying R3 or L3 on the map screen or on the shrine screen but that might just be on console cause I'm not seeing it and it's not doing anything?

Also... Any tricks to make the game look better in general? It's not a bad looking game of course but I'm seeing a lot of shadows pop-in and some lighting stuff that I wish looked better.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
Am I going to miss out on any cool bosses if I don't do the side missions? I've just been doing the main missions so far and those are long enough as it is. I hesitant to do many side missions if they're going to add a lot of length to my playthrough.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing with an Xb1 controller and it's showing me dualshock 4 button prompts. Anyway to switch it?

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Here's how the game looks after injecting both SMAA and FXAA via ReShade (2560x1080). Looks decent. Pretty smooth.

popopjjj8i.jpg

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone getting black screens at random while playing? It's been happening to me intermittently and it's pretty annoying.

I did some looking and it seems to be something that affects 30XX cards at random, but I only seem to trigger them in this. I'm running a 3070 fwiw. Tried a few different solutions ranging from software (rolling back to old drivers) to hardware (different cables, etc) and I'm stumped.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm playing with an Xb1 controller and it's showing me dualshock 4 button prompts. Anyway to switch it?

Yeah, in the controls options.

Is anyone getting black screens at random while playing? It's been happening to me intermittently and it's pretty annoying.

I did some looking and it seems to be something that affects 30XX cards at random, but I only seem to trigger them in this. I'm running a 3070 fwiw. Tried a few different solutions ranging from software (rolling back to old drivers) to hardware (different cables, etc) and I'm stumped.

Haven't had that in any game on a 3080.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in the controls options.

Haven't had that in any game on a 3080.
It's pretty inconsistent from what I've seen, but there's been a trend of it.

Seemed to be related to Chrome in any event. I closed it out while playing today and problem stopped so huzzah. Good to keep in mind for anyone on one of these cards running into this issue.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Hey, if I meet the minimum requirements for this game—got a 970 and an i5-4750—would I be able to get OK performance at 1080 with everything set to low?

Edit: A cursory search suggests that the game would only hit 30fps at 720p, so I'm gonna put a pin in this one for a while

Last edited:

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

I have this on my 3080 if playing on my OLED (in 4k), but no issues on my desktop monitor (1440p). No clue.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if I meet the minimum requirements for this game—got a 970 and an i5-4750—would I be able to get OK performance at 1080 with everything set to low?

Edit: A cursory search suggests that the game would only hit 30fps at 720p, so I'm gonna put a pin in this one for a while
I have a 970 and play at mostly 60 fps. There have been areas that have hovered between 50-60, and some very rare actual frame drops. Whatever info you found is way exaggerated. I play at 1080p but internal resolution set to 80% to losen the pressure, but I'm not sure how necessary it actually is. Shadows at medium, reflections disabled.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I have this on my 3080 if playing on my OLED (in 4k), but no issues on my desktop monitor (1440p). No clue.
Weird. Is it a g-sync monitor? I had to disable it since I had some issues with a few titles on my main monitor but not my secondary and that cleaned up some. Besides that, if you have chrome or another browser up try closing them to see if it makes a difference like it did for me here. I got to play for several hours last night and didn't get a black screen once finally.

I'm running the latest hot fix drivers as well

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

Are the drivers crashing? Can check in the EventViewer under Warnings and Display.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Are the drivers crashing? Can check in the EventViewer under Warnings and Display.
Yeah, I checked when it was occurring and it showed that at the proper timestamps. I did see a lot of reports of it on Reddit/Nvidia forums and their hot fix also references it, so hopefully they can get it fully sorted for everyone soon. It's definitely a driver issue.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason since the update I can't downsample anymore.
Also the fps seems to be capped at 100.
What's happening?

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Is it a g-sync monitor? I had to disable it since I had some issues with a few titles on my main monitor but not my secondary and that cleaned up some. Besides that, if you have chrome or another browser up try closing them to see if it makes a difference like it did for me here. I got to play for several hours last night and didn't get a black screen once finally.

I'm running the latest hot fix drivers as well
Desktop is gsync, OLED is not. I sometimes have chrome open for music, so maybe, thanks for the hint.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I have a 970 and play at mostly 60 fps. There have been areas that have hovered between 50-60, and some very rare actual frame drops. Whatever info you found is way exaggerated. I play at 1080p but internal resolution set to 80% to losen the pressure, but I'm not sure how necessary it actually is. Shadows at medium, reflections disabled.
Hmmm, all right. What kind of processor you got in there?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

Are they TDRs? Check Event Viewer and see if the driver is crashing

EDIT: ignore, I see someone already mentioned this and you replied :S

I recently rolled back to 460.89 because the latest was causing shitty G-SYNC flicker for me, might be worth a shot depending on how far you rolled back

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
i7-3820
It's a year older than yours, but a bit more powerful, on paper at least. FWIW I ran around a bit in the area I'm averaging 55% CPU load.
All right, then! Doesn't seem like the CPU will be too bad a problem, then. Well, a bit in the future I'll give the game a shot, then; if I can play it at a decent framerate with everything cranked to low at 1080p, I'll be satisfied

Thank you for all the answers you've given

Oct 28, 2017
Both of those limiters stutter.

If you're using RTSS with the intention of making things smooth, you'll probably want the recent Beta release. It has a new front-edge mode that offers framerate consistency instead of just attempting to reduce latency (default mode).

As an example:

67cf68d886aa782e18b8bde640ef446db0b38831_2_1152x481.png

7eb622f1ea5690966731c77bd1584a14c52f42be.png

Async is RTSS's default mode, it's anything but smooth.

Kaldaien, is there anyway you can look at seeing if there is a way to fix the terrible LOD implementation?

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
So huh... Can you actually switch the game to offline mode on PC?

Looking online I see people saying R3 or L3 on the map screen or on the shrine screen but that might just be on console cause I'm not seeing it and it's not doing anything?

Not a great solution for your problem, but I was using Cheat Engine to give myself 999 elixirs. I disabled my ethernet on my Desktop before attaching Cheat Engine. This put me in offline mode. Afterwards, I re-enabled my ethernet, and my game stayed in offline mode until I manually re-connected.

So makeshift, you could turn your internet off and back on again and it should stay offline.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Not a great solution for your problem, but I was using Cheat Engine to give myself 999 elixirs. I disabled my ethernet on my Desktop before attaching Cheat Engine. This put me in offline mode. Afterwards, I re-enabled my ethernet, and my game stayed in offline mode until I manually re-connected.

So makeshift, you could turn your internet off and back on again and it should stay offline.

Easier way would be to simply use a firewall to block the game from connecting. Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control is free and works very well.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

After watching this DF video I am still on the fence if I want to buy the game or wait it to come to Gamepass or go on an even heftier sale than the 46% from CDkeys. The CDkeys price is within reason to make me consider it again.

It has just so many things that are not difficult to do and are literally standard features. PC games should not need 3rd party patchers to support uncommon resolutions (Remedy deserves shit for this as well!), resolution should be changeable during gameplay and Vsync on/off is an expected feature. So are keyboard/mouse button prompts.

It makes me wonder if the developers spent all their effort on the PS5/Xbox Series X port and the PC version was left for some junior developer. It seems like they wanted all three out at the same time while the PC was still missing a lot of things.

The DLSS 2.x update is at least a promising development but really they need to fix the basics. Team Ninja deserves a swift kick in the ass for doing a bad job with PC ports for so many years as this has a lot of the same issues that I remember from DoA 5 from 2015.