• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I have a 3090 and with effects on low it averages about 80 with dips to 65. With effects on high I was getting dips to low 40s from an average about 74. This is at a 4k resolution.

That is 100% not the case.

Are the first three areas not indicative of the overall game performance or something? Because I was above 100 fps a vast majority of the time on an undervolted 3080. The lowest I've seen is 97 fps. 4k, everything maxed except for effects at low.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Are the first three areas not indicative of the overall game performance or something? Because I was above 100 fps a vast majority of the time on an undervolted 3080. The lowest I've seen is 97 fps. 4k, everything maxed except for effects at low.
I don't know what to tell you. Tutorial area I was getting high 90s but first area I was getting the numbers I mentioned previously. I'm running an overclocked 10900k and overclocked EVGA Hybrid 3090. My numbers match the Russian benchmarks to a tee.

It's a shit port so I guess a lot of variance is to be expected.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Upto the first boss, 100+ fps

7700k @ 5GHz, EVGA 3090 FTW3, 32GB RAM, (2) 3440 x 1440 monitors

Everything maxed out

I keep an eye on the FPS counter as much as I can without dyin, but not a scientific measurement by any standards.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I don't know what to tell you. Tutorial area I was getting high 90s but first area I was getting the numbers I mentioned previously. I'm running an overclocked 10900k and overclocked EVGA Hybrid 3090. My numbers match the Russian benchmarks to a tee.

It's a shit port so I guess a lot of variance is to be expected.

By tutorial area do you mean the place where you pick your weapons or the Village of the Cursed Blossoms?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The two areas I tested were where you pick your weapons (which isn't really representative of anything) and the village.

Yeah I'm at a pretty solid ~105 fps average in the village. I just ran around the area again to double check. Honestly I'm impressed at how consistent the framerate is. It's really locked into that 100-110 fps range and rarely goes above or below. I was hitting 120 on the first side mission, but it's a small area. So from my point of view it's a pretty great port minus the ultrawide resolution shenanigans. I can push 4x the pixels and higher settings relative to PS5's 120 fps mode and get a similar average framerate with none of the big 30-40 fps dips.

I wonder what would cause a performance discrepancy like that though. You have a good CPU and I assume good RAM so it wouldn't be that. Driver version? Borderless vs fullscreen? NVCP settings (Mine are all default)? Gsync vs vsync? I'm curious what Dictator will uncover assuming he's doing a PC video.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. This is a common problem among Japanese console games. They time everything assuming each frame is precisely a fixed amount of time. It's why arbitrary framerate support is rare and you have 1 or 2 choices of framerate limit.
ugh I wish Japanese devs (all devs for that matter) would stop tying game logic to frame rate, especially in the year of our lord 2021 for fuck's sake

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
[...]

I keep an eye on the FPS counter as much as I can without dyin, but not a scientific measurement by any standards.
https://www.capframex.com/ is awesome for that.

bf6a5152-f42a-4cab-ad0b-048589d2a2d6

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. This is a common problem among Japanese console games. They time everything assuming each frame is precisely a fixed amount of time. It's why arbitrary framerate support is rare and you have 1 or 2 choices of framerate limit.

It's the secret sauce to all my unexplainable cool slow motion moments during set pieces in the ps2 games of my childhood.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

They're fixing some issues, adding DLSS (dunno if it's there already) and added Mouse/KB support (also dunno if it's there).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DLSS was known as a future patch and it also already has KBAM support. Their tweet is about adding icons so it doesn't say "pretty RT + B to burst counter" but instead "shift + e" or w/e you weirdos playing this on kbam bind it to.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Patch is out. Anyone noticed improvements when setting Effects to High?

store.steampowered.com

Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition - Steam News Hub

Updates, events, and news from the developers of Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition.

Yeah, I no longer see big fps drops during combat with effects on high. It's still a performance-intensive setting though, at least for Nvidia GPUs. I'm seeing a ~12% reduction in average fps on a 3080 with little to no visual difference. You're still better off leaving it at low if you're going for higher fps imo.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
With the new patch can't down sampling anymore, no Nvidia DSR or via the config.xml is working for me.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Yeah, I no longer see big fps drops during combat with effects on high. It's still a performance-intensive setting though, at least for Nvidia GPUs. I'm seeing a ~12% reduction in average fps on a 3080 with little to no visual difference. You're still better off leaving it at low if you're going for higher fps imo.
Do you notice any difference in quality with Effects on High?

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
With the new patch can't down sampling anymore, no Nvidia DSR or via the config.xml is working for me.
you tried this?

steamcommunity.com

Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition General Discussions :: Steam Community

Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition - Nioh: Complete Editionhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/485510/Wo Long: Fallen Dynastyhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1448440/About the GameUNLEASH YOUR DARKNESSExperience the thrill of taking on hordes of fearsome yokai in a battle to the death in this brutal...

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
you tried this?

steamcommunity.com

Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition General Discussions :: Steam Community

Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition - Nioh: Complete Editionhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/485510/Wo Long: Fallen Dynastyhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1448440/About the GameUNLEASH YOUR DARKNESSExperience the thrill of taking on hordes of fearsome yokai in a battle to the death in this brutal...

Same thing, now every time i change the graphics with the config.xml the game reset the configuration.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
No, that's what I meant by "little to no visual difference". I'm not comparing screenshots or anything, but I don't notice any difference switching back and forth.
Ah sorry, my reading comprehension is not with me today.

I'm not able to try it out for myself yet, but it would be interesting to see a direct comparison between the different Effects settings. I hope Digital Foundry has something in store for us!

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
they still haven't fixed the mouse cursor remaining on screen bug?

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
via Special K discord:
Code:
========
+ Nioh 2 needs "Sleepless Window Thread" turned on in SK's framerate limiter to fix its framepacing with "Effects: High"; option enabled by default now.
+ 32-bit version of SK now built with same compiler version as used in 21.02.05+

Can someone explain what the hell is the correct place to download the Special K mods? Are they game specific or a general release? I have always been very confused by that when there's old versions on Github, Gitlab, Steam community etc. Where's the latest?

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain what the hell is the correct place to download the Special K mods? Are they game specific or a general release? I have always been very confused by that when there's old versions on Github, Gitlab, Steam community etc. Where's the latest?
Current release is always here: https://sk-data.special-k.info/SpecialK.7z (via https://discourse.differentk.fyi/)
Test releases are linked in the discord via the releases channel: https://discord.com/invite/ER4EDBJPTa

If you want to use the test release (for Nioh 2) you just replace the SpecialK64.dll and/or SpecialK32.dll in your SpecialK folder or put them directly next to the Nioh2.exe (read here: https://wiki.special-k.info/SpecialK/Local and see "Rename the DLL file to match the API used by the game").

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Is this playable/enjoyable on m/kb? Asking for a friend that is interested in the game but does not like playing games with a controller. I feel like it might not work very well on a m/kb due to all the stance/weapon switching mid-combos...

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is this playable/enjoyable on m/kb? Asking for a friend that is interested in the game but does not like playing games with a controller. I feel like it might not work very well on a m/kb due to all the stance/weapon switching mid-combos...

It's not a good way to play the game. It functions in a literal sense but it's not intuitive or fun to play that way.

Not to talk shit about your friend but I have no idea why some people are so against using controllers for games designed around controller on PC. I see people absolutely struggling to force themselves to play certain games on kb/m in the PC community all the time and I'm always left asking why people put themselves through that.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Current release is always here: https://sk-data.special-k.info/SpecialK.7z (via https://discourse.differentk.fyi/)
Test releases are linked in the discord via the releases channel: https://discord.com/invite/ER4EDBJPTa

If you want to use the test release (for Nioh 2) you just replace the SpecialK64.dll and/or SpecialK32.dll in your SpecialK folder or put them directly next to the Nioh2.exe (read here: https://wiki.special-k.info/SpecialK/Local and see "Rename the DLL file to match the API used by the game").
What api is Nioh 2 using?
No worries its ok I found it.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It's not a good way to play the game. It functions in a literal sense but it's not intuitive or fun to play that way.

Not to talk shit about your friend but I have no idea why some people are so against using controllers for games designed around controller on PC. I see people absolutely struggling to force themselves to play certain games on kb/m in the PC community all the time and I'm always left asking why people put themselves through that.

Eh, it's less about elitism and more that he does not really know how to play with a controller, since he has never owned a console.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
DX11.

Edit: FWIW, the Special K plugin didn't really help too much. Frame pacing was better but my overall frame rate was lower with effects set to high. I ended up just leaving it on low and removing SpecialK.
Damn ok.
I've been getting a weird stutter running around levels that seems to be related to assets loading in.
Very annoying.
Has the lastest patch addressed that at all?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Has he played games like Sekiro and Dark Souls? If he has and he knows what he is getting into then I say go for it. He can just use a build that does not rely too much on stance switching mid combo.

Higher tier strats dont come into play until late game anyway, he can try and acclimatize to the controls till then. Cant really say if it would be enjoyable though......never tried it myself.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Has he played games like Sekiro and Dark Souls? If he has and he knows what he is getting into then I say go for it. He can just use a build that does not rely too much on stance switching mid combo.

Higher tier strats dont come into play until late game anyway, he can try and acclimatize to the controls till then. Cant really say if it would be enjoyable though......never tried it myself.

He has tried both Sekiro and DSIII and did not enjoy them. He finished and liked Code Vein. The more in-depth combat, loot and better co-op are what he was looking forward to in Nioh2.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I get awful stuttering in this game. It's not constant, but crops up in chunks in certain areas, where it just becomes a stuttery mess for a while, almost like you have to 'outrun' it, literally. It's really ruining my enjoyment.
Happening at 120 or 60fps caps. I'm on all AMD.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I get awful stuttering in this game. It's not constant, but crops up in chunks in certain areas, where it just becomes a stuttery mess for a while, almost like you have to 'outrun' it, literally. It's really ruining my enjoyment.
Happening at 120 or 60fps caps. I'm on all AMD.
I have this and it was the same in Nioh 1. Frame drops/loading stutter in certain parts of the maps.
At least its not just me then.
It doesn't ruin the game for me but its pretty bad.
Sometimes it will happen in the middle of a fight and completely fuck you.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
He has tried both Sekiro and DSIII and did not enjoy them. He finished and liked Code Vein. The more in-depth combat, loot and better co-op are what he was looking forward to in Nioh2.
Are you guys looking to co op together? If you are then maybe it will be easier to deal with any issues that might come up.

I think someone saying they did not like DS3 or Sekiro makes me thing there is a higher likelyhood of them not gelling with Nioh 2, Code vein seems a bit on the casual side whereas Nioh shares more similarities with the former. But if the game ticks all the boxes for what yall looking for then go for it, or wait for a slight price drop to be safe. Im sure the kbm stuff you can figure out along the way.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Have Digital Foundry looked at Nioh 2?
There is lots of weird performance stuff happing in this game.
Hm - so far it seems very similar to performance I have seen in this engine on the consoles. Small stutters ocasionally when running around the levels. PS5 - PS4Pro - Base PS4 have it. Other than that, it seems like a very average release for performance. Nothing sticks out to me as being really bad or anything. There is enough performance GPU wise here for nearly 4K 120 even.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Hm - so far it seems very similar to performance I have seen in this engine on the consoles. Small stutters ocasionally when running around the levels. PS5 - PS4Pro - Base PS4 have it. Other than that, it seems like a very average release for performance. Nothing sticks out to me as being really bad or anything. There is enough performance GPU wise here for nearly 4K 120 even.
Ah ok. I didn't realise the problem existed on all platforms.
Thanks.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I think most games (outside of car and flight sim types) can easily be played on KB/M...too many people think you must have a controller to play Dark Souls or Nioh on PC which is not true...the important thing is to remap keys...once you take the time to get used it then it'll become just as good or better then a controller...Dark Souls PC is often criticized for its KB/M controls but I found it to be excellent (after remapping) and I'm pretty good at the game

yes certain games may be designed with controllers in mind but that doesn't mean that they cannot be played just as well with KB/M

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Are you guys looking to co op together? If you are then maybe it will be easier to deal with any issues that might come up.

I think someone saying they did not like DS3 or Sekiro makes me thing there is a higher likelyhood of them not gelling with Nioh 2, Code vein seems a bit on the casual side whereas Nioh shares more similarities with the former. But if the game ticks all the boxes for what yall looking for then go for it, or wait for a slight price drop to be safe. Im sure the kbm stuff you can figure out along the way.

Yes, that's the plan. I was mostly just asking because I don't feel like the two hour refund limit is enough to get a good grasp if m/kb are serviceable, but I'll Family Share the game with him.