• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
The game seems to already include a framerate limiter or am I missing something
The game's limiter is garbage. You need to set it above your target and then go grab software that competently limits framerate.

44D847B39ACC55CE846D1D8C750C0F392AB29ADC

That is the quality frame pacing you can expect if the game enforces a 60 FPS limit. Setting the game's limit to 120 and then limiting with Special K produces a flat 60 FPS, 1% low = 60 FPS, 0.1% low = 60 FPS.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is with a 2070 Super + Ryzen 3600. 2560x1080 res.

Game runs somewhat smooth when you cap the frame rate in RTSS and set Effects to Low. There is definitely some intermittent micro stutter, but Nioh 1 was the same. I am very sensitive to micro stutter btw.

I set the in-game frame rate cap to 120 and capped it to 60 fps via RTSS. Effects quality on LOW. Shadows on Low. Everything else maxed.

Here's a vid I just recorded. Near the end of the vid I slowly pan the camera across the map from up high and you can see there's basically zero micro stutter. I'm happy!!! Loving the game.

edit: after playing for a few more hours I've decided to drop my resolution down to 1920x1080 for a more solid 60 fps. I was getting a tad too much micro stutter at 2560x1080.

Nvidia frame limiter at 60 fps works as well for me i also forced vsync and enabled low latency mode, frame pacing looks perfect apart from minor stutters here and there.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Ultrawide 3440x1440 with a 2080ti + ryzen 7 3700x. Everything is running fine for me at Max settings , 98- 104 FPS in the first level. My only issue is some microstutter when sprinting around. Does anyone know how to reduce the microstutter?

Have it on ps5 too, it looks better to me on PC, the 4k mode on ps5 still has a bunch of jaggies for some reason and 30fps menus.
Prefer the PS5 UI buttons, PC version shows PS4 ones.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
9l8k675j46h35g57j4g.png

So apparently this is using Epic Online Services for the multiplayer.

RayFoxII

Oct 25, 2017
California
Ultrawide 3440x1440 with a 2080ti + ryzen 7 3700x. Everything is running fine for me at Max settings , 98- 104 FPS in the first level. My only issue is some microstutter when sprinting around. Does anyone know how to reduce the microstutter?

Have it on ps5 too, it looks better to me on PC, the 4k mode on ps5 still has a bunch of jaggies for some reason and 30fps menus.
Prefer the PS5 UI buttons, PC version shows PS4 ones.

I'm running a very similar setup, just a 2080 Super instead and I'm seeing drops down to 30~ FPS occasionally in combat. Usually when a big guy is using some special move. I don't have the microstutter though. I am using RTTS to cap my framerate to 60 though so I'm not sure if that's fixing it or if it's something else.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Legit don't see the issues with this port, playing it on a GTX 960 at the moment at low settings/1440p scaled to 1080p, runs fine at 30fps, PS4 level card with PS4 performance really.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The game's limiter is garbage. You need to set it above your target and then go grab software that competently limits framerate.

44D847B39ACC55CE846D1D8C750C0F392AB29ADC

That is the quality frame pacing you can expect if the game enforces a 60 FPS limit. Setting the game's limit to 120 and then limiting with Special K produces a flat 60 FPS, 1% low = 60 FPS, 0.1% low = 60 FPS.
Interesting thanks will have to do this

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Tried setting effects to high just to see.

And holy shit is it broken. Some effects drop the framerate by almost half.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Once I found the RTSS settings to get it working with the game without crashing during the intro movie, I've basically had 0 problems with the technical aspects of the game. Running 2160p max settings except for effects, virtually locked 60 fps with consistent frametimes, on a 2080ti/8700k machine. 0 crashes since getting RTSS to work, and the game looks surprisingly much, much better in HDR mode with tweaks to brightness and contrast. Also, unlike most HDR games on PC, HDR just works in this game. Turn it on in Windows and then launch the game, and everything is good to go (as it should be). So yeah, having a great experience so far.

YonderOne

Nov 29, 2018
Perth, Australia
For folks using a non-standard aspect ratio (i.e. above 21:9 ultrawide) someone's piggy-backed off of the resolution patcher for the first PC port and made it compatible with Nioh 2, which you can find here.

unknown.png

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm running a very similar setup, just a 2080 Super instead and I'm seeing drops down to 30~ FPS occasionally in combat. Usually when a big guy is using some special move. I don't have the microstutter though. I am using RTTS to cap my framerate to 60 though so I'm not sure if that's fixing it or if it's something else.

Set effects to low and you won't get those drops in combat.

Damn, seems like a 6900 XT is wrecking the game at 4k.

bildschirmfoto2021-021rkx1.png

gamegpu.com

Nioh 2 The Complete Edition тест GPU/CPU(обновлено с DLSS) | RPG/Ролевые | Тест GPU

В этом беспощадном ролевом приключении вас ждут захватывающие смертельные битвы против полчищ ёкай. Вам пре

I wonder if the game benefits from SAM? If so Nvidia needs to hurry up with their resizable BAR support.

Nah, this is a result of the effects setting being bugged when set to high on Nvidia GPUs. With effects at low I imagine the performance of Nvidia cards would be where you expect.

I had a weird issue last night. I installed the game on my second machine to try out ultrawide/120 fps and when I went back to my 3080 machine in the living room I was getting a hard crash just before the main menu every time I booted the game. Sometimes it would even reboot my PC. I had to disable cloud sync and get rid of my save completely for it to stop. I'm guessing swapping between PCs corrupted the save data or something.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
So is it confirmed that this game will have DLSS support later on? If so then this is the first game that will support DLSS without TAA support. Unless they are also adding TAA support later down the line along with DLSS. I mean it's overdue for dev that want to make next gen games, TAA should be a standard now.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
does the game allow full KB/M remapping (including full 5 button mouse remapping)?...I'm a huge Dark Souls/Sekiro fan but never played the first Nioh as I heard the maps were bland, enemies were very repetitive and it didn't have an interconnected world (you need to use the world map to access the different areas)...does Nioh 2 improve upon these things?

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
does the game allow full KB/M remapping (including full 5 button mouse remapping)?...I'm a huge Dark Souls/Sekiro fan but never played the first Nioh as I heard the maps were bland, enemies were very repetitive and it didn't have an interconnected world (you need to use the world map to access the different areas)...does Nioh 2 improve upon these things?

No. In fact you revist many maps from the first game and new maps are generally very bland affairs.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Diablo but a Souls like; this is Nioh. If you go in expecting Dark Souls you're gonna be disappointed, but if you go in expecting to get some sublime(and better than) Souls combat while having that same loop of a loot based fighter like a Diablo you'll be in hog heaven.

Engaging in the core loop is what Nioh does best but it cant compare to a typical Souls game, outside of some similarities they are both completely different experiences.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
if you go in expecting to get some sublime(and better than) Souls combat while having that same loop of a loot based fighter like a Diablo you'll be in hog heaven.

that's the main reason why I want to try Nioh- I hear the combat is best in class...being that Nioh 2 is a prequel it sounds like playing Nioh 2 first (before the first game) would be a good thing

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
that's the main reason why I want to try Nioh- I hear the combat is best in class...being that Nioh 2 is a prequel it sounds like playing Nioh 2 first (before the first game) would be a good thing
I think its perfectly fine to jump in here, you're gonna have quite a bit of ctacthing up to do to get a grip of all the mechanics but you'll get it eventually. Also Nioh 2 seems to have a better difficulty curve from what people are saying, Nioh 1 was brutal right out the gate.

These games are more mechanics focused so its just better to start with the latest game cause there will be nothing worth going back to for previous entries and trying to fit both games in is gonna make you burnout faster. The story in Nioh 1 was dogshit anyway so its not like you're missing much.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

The controls are fully remappable for kb/m however I have not tried mouse4/5 buttons. Left/right/middle clicks for sure though.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The controls are fully remappable for kb/m however I have not tried mouse4/5 buttons. Left/right/middle clicks for sure though.

with Dark Souls keyboard mapping was pretty straight forward but with Nioh I hear there are a lot of combos which require multiple keys...any issues with combat using KB/M?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
with Dark Souls keyboard mapping was pretty straight forward but with Nioh I hear there are a lot of combos which require multiple keys...any issues with combat using KB/M?

The default bindings are kind of strange, using the mouse wheel to shift stances for example, but since everything is remappable it's not really an issue for me. It also detects multikey assignments for your own modifiers (ie: stance change being shift+mouse button for example)

The big issue people seem to have is that the bindings aren't reflected in-game with the button prompts which uses controller button icons. They've said they are going to add m/kb icons in a patch later.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The big issue people seem to have is that the bindings aren't reflected in-game with the button prompts which uses controller button icons. They've said they are going to add m/kb icons in a patch later.

I never understood those complaints...it might matter very early in the game but once you get used to the button layouts you shouldn't really have to depend on the on-screen prompts to guide you...it should come naturally in combat

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
Holy crap this game becomes unplayable for me after a few minutes, like this is a bad issue I hope they fix soon.

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm too old for this sort of game. I found the whole thing incredibly frustrating, getting one- or two-shot over and over by everything in the game for hours on end. In the end I quit at the second boss (Enenra?) because if I'm struggling to enjoy that basic loop I won't be able to enjoy the later bosses that became much harder... it just felt cheap. Grinding for summon support (and healing items... wtf?) was the alternative I guess but that just seems so aggressively anti-player to discourage their use. This is also coming off the back of a recent DS3 run too where the game was always hard but never felt truly cheap.

It didn't help that the framerate on my shiny new RTX3090 didn't hold up too well, even dropping into the 20's when things got really hectic. It's a shame - I was so pumped for this one for months.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So should I consider getting this on PS5 instead of PC? My PC is top spec with a 5950X, RTX 3090 and 64GB RAM, but if it's a better experience on PS5 I'd rather get it on there.
It didn't help that the framerate on my shiny new RTX3090 didn't hold up too well, even dropping into the 20's when things got really hectic. It's a shame - I was so pumped for this one for months.
y i k e s

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Everything in this damn game looks way too dark ?

Like I can't see shit at first I thought it was the starting area to maybe use the light in the distance to guide me but nope...first mission and...looks like shit can only see the whatever big demon thing is walking around in darkness.

HDR doesn't work. Brightness doesn't work.

What is going on

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
I think I'm too old for this sort of game. I found the whole thing incredibly frustrating, getting one- or two-shot over and over by everything in the game for hours on end. In the end I quit at the second boss (Enenra?) because if I'm struggling to enjoy that basic loop I won't be able to enjoy the later bosses that became much harder... it just felt cheap. Grinding for summon support (and healing items... wtf?) was the alternative I guess but that just seems so aggressively anti-player to discourage their use. This is also coming off the back of a recent DS3 run too where the game was always hard but never felt truly cheap.

Wait even the mighty 3090 couldn't hold a stable framerate?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
For some wack reason, am not having a problem with the effects so far (just finished the second lvl8 area), I didn't notice much difference with low vs high, it's a still stutter heavy on both but the fps is almost the same.

Am playing on 3090/x3700 combo and getting everywhere from 80ish to 110ish fps with effects on high, with dips to high 70s a couple of times.
And almost the same thing with effects to low, am not gaining any boost from turning it low, so I can't tell if changing effects works because everything looks the same/preform the same.

Last edited:

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Everything in this damn game looks way too dark ?

Like I can't see shit at first I thought it was the starting area to maybe use the light in the distance to guide me but nope...first mission and...looks like shit can only see the whatever big demon thing is walking around in darkness.

HDR doesn't work. Brightness doesn't work.

What is going on
For me HDR did fix it. I had the exact same problem on my PC monitor before I enabled HDR in Windows which made it detectable in game. I could barely see anything at all and would have stopped playing because of it.

Looks real good with HDR on too

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
For me HDR did fix it. I had the exact same problem on my PC monitor before I enabled HDR in Windows which made it detectable in game. I could barely see anything at all and would have stopped playing because of it.

Looks real good with HDR on too

Yeah I wish HDR fixed it on my end.

Only game for me to have this issue with so it's very odd ..wonder if there's something I'm missing I'll try to tinker with it tomorrow

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Sometimes in-game frame limiters have less input lag than with RTSS depends on game I guess

Special K's framepacing widget has a latency graph, it's unfortunate that RTSS doesn't also. Validating RTSS's latency using other software that's also a limiter is a bit weird ;)

SK 60 FPS Limit

h8iUZ8E.jpg

Game 60 FPS Limit

Rn32gdA.jpg

In the case of this game's limiter, not only does it prevent you from actually reaching 60 FPS, it's also ~1 ms higher latency on average. Average is a bit skewed though as a result of constant stuttering caused by the limiter; worst-case latency is an extra 16 ms from frames the limiter is causing to drop.

----
Unfortunately, the game's tick rate is tied to the limiter. Meaning, if you set the limiter high and use a third-party limiter, then the game's internal clock runs at the wrong rate (slow mo). I need to patch their limiter out completely.

Last edited:

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
First impressions weren't too hot when I couldn't find my monitors native resolution in the graphics menu and the game dropped under 30 fps when the first big dude threw some rocks at you on RTX 3080 @ 3440x1440.

After fixing the resolution problem with Nioh2Resolution and lowering effects to low everything seems to work fine now. Game seems to run around 90 - 120 fps @ 3840x1600.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
For folks using a non-standard aspect ratio (i.e. above 21:9 ultrawide) someone's piggy-backed off of the resolution patcher for the first PC port and made it compatible with Nioh 2, which you can find here.

unknown.png
I knew it! The game handles it perfectly fine and the devs are just incompetent.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Unfortunately, the game's tick rate is tied to the limiter. Meaning, if you set the limiter high and use a third-party limiter, then the game's internal clock runs at the wrong rate (slow mo). I need to patch their limiter out completely.

What kind of issues does the mismatched tick rate cause?

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
What kind of issues does the mismatched tick rate cause?
Well, technically, this game has fixed time. It only supports 120/60/30 FPS. There's some code to try and compensate for reduction of framerate, it doesn't work well.

If the limit is set to 120, and your framerate drops to less than 60, the game runs at half speed. If it hits 30 FPS, that's 1/4 speed, 15 FPS is 1/8, and so forth.

Speed hacking, basically.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, technically, this game has fixed time. It only supports 120/60/30 FPS. There's some code to try and compensate for reduction of framerate, it doesn't work well.

If the limit is set to 120, and your framerate drops to less than 60, the game runs at half speed. If it hits 30 FPS, that's 1/4 speed, 15 FPS is 1/8, and so forth.

Speed hacking, basically.

Wow, this is weird.
What if the game is running at low FPS purely due to hardware performance, does that slow down the game clock too?

Sep 7, 2020
how come everytime I try to use xbox controller in pc games, the fps dips frequently to like 4fps and becomes unplayable .. when i turn off the controller the game runs fine

edit I've had nothing but problems using an xbox wireless controller on PC. you would think they would make it seemless. probably gona chuck this piece of shit tbh. Never stays connected, and when it does, there's always fucking problems. I had less problems rigging a playstation controller with community mods, sadly

Last edited:

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Wow, this is weird.
What if the game is running at low FPS purely due to hardware performance, does that slow down the game clock too?
Yes. This is a common problem among Japanese console games. They time everything assuming each frame is precisely a fixed amount of time. It's why arbitrary framerate support is rare and you have 1 or 2 choices of framerate limit.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually experiencing significantly less stutter when using the in-game 60 fps lock while also using the RTSS lock at 60 fps. Very smooth. Not sure why that works or if it even makes sense, but it seems to have really helped. I'll report back later when I play more. This is with a 60 hz monitor and using the in-game v-sync btw.

edit: yeah, I can confirm this is working WAY better than the 120 fps in-game lock trick. As smooth as Nioh 1 now.

Last edited:

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Both of those limiters stutter.

If you're using RTSS with the intention of making things smooth, you'll probably want the recent Beta release. It has a new front-edge mode that offers framerate consistency instead of just attempting to reduce latency (default mode).

As an example:

67cf68d886aa782e18b8bde640ef446db0b38831_2_1152x481.png

7eb622f1ea5690966731c77bd1584a14c52f42be.png

Async is RTSS's default mode, it's anything but smooth.

Last edited:

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

If you're using RTSS with the intention of making things smooth, you'll probably want the recent Beta release. It has a new front-edge mode that offers framerate consistency instead of just attempting to reduce latency (default mode).

As an example:

This is somewhat off-topic, but is there more extensive write-up on what front-edge mode does in the RTSS beta than what the readme provides? You're showing Death Stranding there and that has been my single game I cannot get good frame pacing with any tool (including yours), including just trying the front-edge sync with scanline sync set to 1 now after I read your post (just on a 60hz display). Would even accept 30fps but can't get that stable either (scanline sync x/2 works well in most games for that not not here), rtss's graphs report a smooth line but I always get constant stutter.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

As an example:

Damn, didn't know RTSS was so poor in that regard.

P.S. bless you for your NieR: Automata mod.