• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Yep that is Nioh allright. I don't mind the asset reuse( Yakuza fan here lol) but all I am asking for is atleast triple the enemy variety and so far it looks good in that regard.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does look mostly the same, but I don't mind too much. It looks fun.

That new skill tree is beautiful.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its still an absolute joke since they said they were putting more effort into this game...only to use all the exact same enemies/buildings etc that people were fed up of in the first game.

Just looks like dlc
It does look identical pretty much yes. Slightly disappointed by that but can't really complain at the same time either. I mean... it's more Nioh!

(still need to start and finish the DLC myself, fuck!)

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Got a code in the mail.. liked the first game a lot. Will try it some time in the weekend.

redfiend

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people complaining it looks the same? It has some similar stuff but it clearly looks better and has new things. Even if it did look the same it's more Nioh and that's a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with more of the same if they add more content to what was present in Nioh1, especially more weapons.
What has me worried is that the skill menu only features 4 weapons right now with no place for more weapons, which is hopefully just a placeholder for the alpha-version. Won't buy if not all of Nioh's weapons including DLC are in the sequel but sold later as DLC.

What's the red bar underneath

Yokai trigger aka transformation

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
OG skill tree

bNW28tG.jpg

Nioh 2

DvyCNgS.jpg
...Final Fantasy XIII's Crystarium skill tree?

Kidding, but it at least looks a bit more interesting.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck apart from the skill tree men the UI is exactly the same.

This might as well be DLC?

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck apart from the skill tree men the UI is exactly the same.

This might as well be DLC?
This could be placeholder. The Bloodborne Network Test has a vastly different UI from the final game, for example. But this being a sequel, Team Ninja had no reason to waste time implementing anything that isn't final since they have a perfectly functional UI to test the game with.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I don't want to be Mr. Negative based on watching some minutes of a Stream but...

What the hell, this looks nearly identical starting at damage numbers to the environment, including the water tank gimmick, and even down to enemy types, skins, attack patterns and animations. Fucking hell, the level I'm watching even looks near identical to Nioh's first stage :/

Only thing different I'm even seeing at all is the messy, worse-looking skill menu. Already saw a bunch of the exact same skills as well.

This is the exact opposite of what I wanted to see from a Nioh 2 so far honestly. The last thing Nioh needed was simply more as far as I'm concerned. Of course I'll reserve my ultimate judgment seeing how my hype levels were 11/10 but this is looking pretty damn disappointing on first glance.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit he is definitely NOT ki-pulsing and it is physically hurting me I cant watch this

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Yep that is Nioh allright. I don't mind the asset reuse( Yakuza fan here lol) but all I am asking for is atleast triple the enemy variety and so far it looks good in that regard.
This please. When you have to add a blue version of a cyclops in The dlc as a new enemy you know the game is lacking them. Better environments too please.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Why are people complaining it looks the same? It has some similar stuff but it clearly looks better and has new things. Even if it did look the same it's more Nioh and that's a good thing.
People over value graphics as a huge example of significant change on this forum all the time. The game looks fine and has killer mechanics. It needs more enemies, bosses, better levels and less shit loot stuff.

Could even lean more into the action part of action rpg.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As a BIG fan of Nioh, I still wanted a PS5 Nioh 2 instead with a better/newer engine overall. This looks so similar, but with some upgrades. That is understandable since it is bound by the regular PS4 hardware. Still gonna play the shit out of it and have fun. But we just gotta accept that it's more of the same, yet with more mechanics etc.

Koei tecmo would never allow that. They are the very definition of penny pinchers when it comes to engine and asset usage.

As long as the enemy variety and level variety is improved along with the gameplay(and story). it should be fine

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This could be placeholder. The Bloodborne Network Test has a vastly different UI from the final game, for example. But this being a sequel, Team Ninja had no reason to waste time implementing anything that isn't final since they have a perfectly functional UI to test the game with.
I mean as someone who plays a lot of different games and doesn't just rinse one game for hundreds of hours I'll feel right at home but the amount of identical elements I've seen so far is kind of crazy. You really have to squint to spot any sort of difference.

That's not a bad thing perse and It's still early days of course.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rather surprised by how similar it looks to the first title. Could easily pass for a DLC

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
looooved the first one. hope they improve it in the right ways, the combat was so perfect I hope they don't make it worse just to add changes.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Koei tecmo would never allow that. They are the very definition of penny pinchers when it comes to engine and asset usage.

As long as the enemy variety and level variety is improved along with the gameplay(and story). it should be fine

Didn't they recently make a new engine for the new Dynasty Warriors that they are using for their games now? That being said they really do like to pinch those pennies.

I'm honestly think reusing assets smartly is more of a good thing than a bad thing. That way they can focus more on enemies, weapons, and gameplay.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The important part is how they handle the re-usage of maps/enemies/bosses within the game itself, not what carried over from the first game. Mechanics and systems that aren't broken, why fix them? Look at Ubisoft and their franchises.

What they need to do is trim some of the fat from the first game, execute on the pacing and highlight the new Yokai stuff that seems to be pretty cool.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
While I would've loved for prettier graphics, all that really matters to me is the gameplay. And, the gameplay in the first was pure zen

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Didn't they recently make a new engine for the new Dynasty Warriors that they are using for their games now? That being said they really do like to pinch those pennies.

It was the same engine, they just expanded it to allow for larger spaces and called it a new engine. But it was a disaster anyways

Same way dOA6 was called a new engine but with a differnt lighting system and a little bit more advanced polygons

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
It was the same engine, they just expanded it to allow for larger spaces and called it a new engine. But it was a disaster anyways

Same way dOA6 was called a new engine but with a differnt lighting system and a little bit more advanced polygons

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

That reminds me, I bought DOA6 on launch, the least you could do for me TN is give me a Nioh2 code for the lack of day one lobbies!

What kind of worked for me is holding my controller while watching a stream...I'm desperate

I'm literally playing Nioh right now! What else could they want! Perhaps I should be playing my PS4 copy, not Steam.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be Mr. Negative based on watching some minutes of a Stream but...

What the hell, this looks nearly identical starting at damage numbers to the environment, including the water tank gimmick, and even down to enemy types, skins, attack patterns and animations. Fucking hell, the level I'm watching even looks near identical to Nioh's first stage :/

Only thing different I'm even seeing at all is the messy, worse-looking skill menu. Already saw a bunch of the exact same skills as well.

This is the exact opposite of what I wanted to see from a Nioh 2 so far honestly. The last thing Nioh needed was simply more as far as I'm concerned. Of course I'll reserve my ultimate judgment seeing how my hype levels were 11/10 but this is looking pretty damn disappointing on first glance.
Yeah....kinda feel the same way.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Its still an absolute joke since they said they were putting more effort into this game...only to use all the exact same enemies/buildings etc that people were fed up of in the first game.

Just looks like dlc

You either don't remember Nioh properly or are being disingenuous. Most of the enemies we saw in there were brand new, including the environments and the equipment. What are you talking about?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A huge amount of assest reuse...eh not feeling it. I'm still hopeful they'll take the horrible equipment system (the diablo loot *shudder*) and the poor level design.