• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It isn't just the Switch, we are so lucky to have so many free and easily accessible game development tools available today. There are more and more varied games available almost every single year, and it allows folks to develop experiences big and small. Indie games can focus on a single gameplay element and execute it well, and nit worry about feature creep that AAA experiences.

Glad you've found some great game experiences out there OP.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, BOTW is my favourite open world game, it really felt like they put gameplay first and spent a lot of time on perfecting that, whereas other open world games rely too much on story.

BOTW is a sandbox open world game, the focus is on the gameplay above anything else.
The vast majority of open world games are either aiming for graphics, storytelling or a big and dense open world game, the gameplay needs to be good enough to sustain X hours of gameplay and that's about it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Threads like these always make me wonder if the person making them is trying to convince themselves.
That's pretty much it. It's similar to someone making a "I only had an Xbox One this gen and I don't feel like I missed out on games".

On topic: A fun game for someone is a fun game for someone, so good for you, but to be honest I'm glad I'm able to enjoy different kinds of games on different consoles. The only thing I hate is not having the time to play everything I want.

Edit: Oh and BotW, while a great game, is totally a commitment. Your usual playthrough will last longer than 100 hours, how is that not a commitment? Not to mention some crazy people out there actually bothered collecting all 900 (?) Korok seeds. Stay away from those people.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want enough hearts and stamina to deal with Ganon without cheesing the game you need to grind out the shrines.
Yeah no lol. "Grind out" the shrines is certainly one way to put it. You could also just explore the world liek it's meant to and stumble on enough shrines to make it work. Not once did I explicitly seek out shrines because I needed more of anything.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think perhaps what the OP is getting at is that Nintendo really focuses on gameplay, originality, and simplicity over high-end graphics and movie-like experiences or complex experiences that many other big budget games shoot for. And that indy developers also do this. And Switch is home to both Nintendo games and lots of indies and therefore the majority of experiences tend to be centered around gameplay and simplicity and fun rather than a home theater experience, and the OP likes this.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
In an age where Switch gets more PC centric ports than your iterative yearly games, I think the issue goes beyond gameplay

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
AAA sucks, but I've found Nintendo's Switch lineup to be pretty disappointing too. BOTW is awful and Mario Odyssey/Yoshi/Fire Emblem Warriors/Pokemon Let's Go were all mediocre. Mario+Rabbids is the only standout title I've enjoyed on the system.
Living up to your username I see.

Just joking of course, but seems to me your taste is pretty defined with opinions like that.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Amen. The big AAA industry games can go fuck themselves, they just don't appeal to me anymore. I hadn't had as much fun playing a game as Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night in a loooong while. Traditional game, no bullshit, no lootboxes, no forced online components, no monetizing, standard fully-optional DLC, perfect 20-ish hour length for game completion. Bliss. As long as these little indies keep pushing out these types of games, I'll be a happy man.

Forced online. The hyperbole y'all use to get your point across makes my eye roll.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Forced online. The hyperbole y'all use to get your point across makes my eye roll.

No seriously. It's great that I can boot up a game and not be bombarded with prompts to create/login to an account, to have advertised DLCs and news tickers on the main menu, time-limited events, and all that other fidelity bullshit that's meant to make you stick around and pay and make you play the game longer than you ever would.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
As a person not interested in nearly every single "nintendo-centric" exclusives. The switch is seriously lacking in anything worthwhile to play. And nothing I cant play somewhere else.

It's lacking in alot of things honestly. I have a switch and my Vita gets more play than the switch these days.

There's really nothing For Me to draw me in and keep me engaged.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
No seriously. It's great that I can boot up a game and not be bombarded with prompts to create/login to an account, to have advertised DLCs and news tickers on the main menu, time-limited events, and all that other fidelity bullshit that's meant to make you stick around and pay and make you play the game longer than you ever would.
Could you imagine if every aaa game actually that this stuff that doesn't actually happen for every aaa game? Ironically, smash also has this stuff.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Ragging on developers for making components that keep you engaged with a title they most likely spent ridiculous hours making is wild. You want to point out actual messed up situations then cool cause I know they exist.

But complaining about substantial content is crazy.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your point OP but boTW is definitely an AAA game target at the "hardcore" fanbase
Mario Odyssey is an AAA game too, but I feel it targets a a more diverse public so I think it isn't comparable to other AAA games tho

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I don't know OP, but having to collect some really easy to get moons to proceed to the next level in Super Mario Odyssey felt like busywork to me. That happened in a couple of worlds in which I didn't gather enough moons to proceed when I just played the story parts.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017

This is arguing in bad faith, your comparisons dont make much sense when there are many AAA titles that dont do any of that in any shape or form whatsoever.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Same. Games like Assassin's Creed, etc. are absolutely awful and boring/tedious to me. I vastly prefer Nintendo's output, Indies, and some random AAA games like Souls/BB, etc.

I find most AAA games to be very generic, safe, and rote, not to mention tedious (especially if open world).

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
Fun is all that matters :)

"Nintendo Switch"
"Game Director at Moon Studios"

giphy.gif

I know it doesn't mean a thing, but still, I like to imagine that Ori could be a possibility on Switch !

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Hollow Knight made me realize that. A small indie game made by two people has like 50 hours of top-notch content and is one of my favourite games of all time, and in my opinion is far better than most big-budget blockbuster releases of the last decade.

Quality can find a way of shining through regardless of how big or small a game's budget is.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know OP, but having to collect some really easy to get moons to proceed to the next level in Super Mario Odyssey felt like busywork to me. That happened in a couple of worlds in which I didn't gather enough moons to proceed when I just played the story parts.
If the moons are easy to get how is this busywork?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on personal tastes. For me, I'd like to stay as far as possible from 2D platformers. Even in SNES/MD generation, I was praying for 2D platforming age to conclude and staying in 3D era forever. Switch is not exactly an answer to my prayers. But I'm hopeful about future. We will get 3D AAA Kirbys and Yoshi's in the future.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on personal tastes. For me, I'd like to stay as far as possible from 2D platformers. Even in SNES/MD generation, I was praying for 2D platforming age to conclude and staying in 3D era forever. Switch is not exactly an answer to my prayers. But I'm hopeful about future. We will get 3D AAA Kirbys and Yoshi's in the future.
13609.jpg

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Just because Nintendo games have a cutesy art style does not make them inherently fun. I had more fun swinging in Spiderman than anything Nintendo released last year.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight made me realize that. A small indie game made by two people has like 50 hours of top-notch content and is one of my favourite games of all time, and in my opinion is far better than most big-budget blockbuster releases of the last decade.

Quality can find a way of shining through regardless of how big or small a game's budget is.
Yeah Hollow Knight is exceptionally good but very few indie game comes close to its quality. Even indie developers should take that as a shining example of how to make a good video game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BotW has a crap tonne of busy work and repetition, arguably more than the vast majority of similar AAA games (900 Korok seeds, 120 shrines, hundreds of Compendium photos etc), it just offers more freedom than other AAA titles, but at the expense of narrative and production values. Hell, now that I think about it, Super Mario Odyssey also has a lot of busy work or collectathon esque design elements about it too (999 power moons, 41 hats, 42 suits, 43 souvenirs (which cost tens of thousands of gold coins), 52 captures, 82 music tracks etc).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I mean a lot of Nintendo games qualify as AAA...

People somehow forget that some Nintendo games have large teams, bring lots of other studios onboard to help out, and takes years to make with large budgets.

It's all in their heads.

Threads like these always make me wonder if the person making them is trying to convince themselves.

Exactly. They like AAA games but want to think that they don't, probably because they don't like the idea of AAA games.

Beuntje

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, playing BOTW & Odyssey was a real eyeopener for me as well, after not owning a Nintendo console for ca. 7 years. Not that I don't see them as AAA-games, but the premise that the funfactor comes first can feel like a difference with other games.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
are Mario Odyssey and BOTW not AAA games?

in any case, I agree with your statement

As I said above, I think what the OP is getting at is that Nintendo developers value gameplay, simplicity and fun over the movie-like theatrical experiences and complexity in a lot of AAA releases. Indy developers also tend to focus on gameplay and fun because they lack the resources of big budget studios for high end graphics, motion capture, etc.

The Switch experience so far is mostly driven by Nintendo games and Indy games and therefore the gameplay/fun over the more theatrical and high end experiences on the other platforms.

So yes those are AAA, but different design philosophy than a lot of developers.

(Its a reasonable point about the appeal of the Switch. That's not to say that other consoles don't offer fun or that there isn't value in complexity and theatrical experiences.)

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playing AAA games made me realize how much I like playing AAA games

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BotW has a crap tonne of busy work and repetition, arguably more than the vast majority of similar AAA games (900 Korok seeds, 120 shrines, hundreds of Compendium photos etc), it just offers more freedom than other AAA titles, but at the expense of narrative and production values. Hell, now that I think about it, Super Mario Odyssey also has a lot of busy work or collectathon esque design elements about it too (999 power moons, 41 hats, 42 suits, 43 souvenirs (which cost tens of thousands of gold coins), 52 captures, 82 music tracks etc).

Having lots of music is indicative of busy work?

Did you think that last part through there? Cause that sounds silly to me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, Hollow Knight definitely is proof that a clear vision/focus and very talented designers means a lot more than budget when it comes to game quality, at least to me. The value I got from this game made by essentially 3 people is far higher than what I get from games with 100x the budget and 20x the manpower.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having lots of music is indicative of busy work?

Did you think that last part through there? Cause that sounds silly to me.

I was referring to unlocking them all in the music gallery.

Also, I love the fact that you ignore everything else I listed and focus on only the one thing that you think was a gotcha. Try being less jaded.