• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently got a switch and I'm playing a lot of their titles like mario maker 2, mario odyssey, Zelda and these games are a ton of fun from the off. I've played snipperclips with my wife and we had a blast and I've also been playing pokemon let's go with my 7 year old nephew and it's a ton of fun. That's on top of indie games that are so nice to play on the machine.

A lot of big budget AAA games just seem like busy work in comparison. Nintendo really nails fun, accessibility and local multiplayer.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I agree, but like the previous poster said this probably won't go over well here. Subjective personal preferences and all that.

I share this perspective though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Nintendo makes games that are actually FUN" threads in 2019 :P

They are fun of course, but many AAA PS4, XB1, and PC games are also very fun.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
It's a matter of taste and I agree with yours. For example, I would choose an indie game like Golf Story over Assassin's Creed everyday (I know, I should try Odissey 'cause apparently it's amazing). There are some AAA games that still blew me away though: God of War and Resident Evil 2 come to mind. They are super fun.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BotW is like 90% busywork.

There is a distinction between Nintendo's AAA games and everyone else's, but it's a distinction without a difference.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's not as bad as five, six years ago I think, when the best prescription for AAA gaming fatigue was definitely "buy a Wii U". Nowadays more and more western developers have started embracing the rapid prototyping and iterative development process of Nintendo.
But the way some companies streamline their development over tons of studios does still lead to feeling a lot of that checkmark approach to game design and development when you play it.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing th3 best game of the gen tends to make most of everything else pale in comparison I'd agree there.

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the OP. It's not just that some games feel like busy work, but a lot of times it is either boring (Latest couple Assassin's Creed games), or so directed and hand-holdy (RDR) that it just isn't any fun.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Only snipperclips is not AAA by classic standards.

But it is ok, people barely remember Pokemon is a JRPG since they are so different from the basics

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently got a switch and I'm playing a lot of their titles like mario maker 2, mario odyssey, Zelda and these games are a ton of fun from the off. I've played snipperclips with my wife and we had a blast and I've also been playing pokemon let's go with my 7 year old nephew and it's a ton of fun. That's on top of indie games that are so nice to play on the machine.

A lot of big budget AAA games just seem like busy work in comparison. Nintendo really nails fun, accessibility and local multiplayer.
Zelda Breath of the Wild = AAA & busy work

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Amen. The big AAA industry games can go fuck themselves, they just don't appeal to me anymore. I hadn't had as much fun playing a game as Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night in a loooong while. Traditional game, no bullshit, no lootboxes, no forced online components, no monetizing, standard fully-optional DLC, perfect 20-ish hour length for game completion. Bliss. As long as these little indies keep pushing out these types of games, I'll be a happy man.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
giphy.gif

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't AAA just mean really huge budget? Nintendo's quite smart with the way they implement art styles so they don't have to go for realism which is probably the most expensive way to make a game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah the "busywork" you perceive is actually busywork meant to keep you engaged in their GaaS games. From xp grinds to ingame currency it's all there, and Nintendo largely doesn't give a damn about these things. I love Sony's first party stuff but other than that I'm pretty much tuned out outside of indies.

Threads like these always make me wonder if the person making them is trying to convince themselves.
But OP has a point.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
AAA sucks, but I've found Nintendo's Switch lineup to be pretty disappointing too. BOTW is awful and Mario Odyssey/Yoshi/Fire Emblem Warriors/Pokemon Let's Go were all mediocre. Mario+Rabbids is the only standout title I've enjoyed on the system.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely room for all types of games, it just really depends on what you find fun. Nintendo games tend to focus on making sure the mechanics are, above all, fun to use.

BotW is like 90% busywork.

There is a distinction between Nintendo's AAA games and everyone else's, but it's a distinction without a difference.

It may be busy work to you but the actual mechanics in play make the game a lot more fun to play, to many people. It feels a lot more fun to actually control Link in BotW than, say, to control Geralt of Rivia or Arthur Morgan (from what I've heard, haven't actually played the game).

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I kinda agree with you but don't think it's a Nintendo thing necessarily. There's tons of "lower budget stuff that doesn't feel like busywork" on PC/PS4/Xone : v

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Since the Wii I wish Nintendo would catch up to Sony and Microsoft so that I can play their games in modern AAA quality. I don't see how Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade or Breath of the Wild would be worse games if they had the graphical fidelity of a Horizon: Zero Dawn or Gears of War. No, they would be even better. Playing on a Nintendo device always feels like playing one generation behind.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AAA sucks, but I've found Nintendo's Switch lineup to be pretty disappointing too. BOTW is awful and Mario Odyssey/Yoshi/Fire Emblem Warriors/Pokemon Let's Go were all mediocre. Mario+Rabbids is the only standout title I've enjoyed on the system.
Yeah I'm gonna need to see your account if you actually played these games.

Oct 26, 2017
It feels a lot more fun to actually control Link in BotW than, say, to control Geralt of Rivia or Arthur Morgan (from what I've heard, haven't actually played the game).

Well, BOTW is a sanbox game with a huge focus on gameplay, TW3 and RDR2 are big and rich open world games with a focus on narrative and *more things to do*.
Different games and priorities.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you like BOTW, you like AAA games and busywork lol

wrong, BOTW costed as much as any big AAA game out there despite not aiming for a realistic graphic.

Interesting, BOTW is my favourite open world game, it really felt like they put gameplay first and spent a lot of time on perfecting that, whereas other open world games rely too much on story.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, BOTW is a sanbox game with a huge focus on gameplay, TW3 and RDR2 are big and rich open world games with a focus on narrative and *more things to do*.
Different games and priorities.

Absolutely, which is my point. Nintendo, AAA or not, puts gameplay feel above all else, which I think is what the OP is referring to.