• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Maker 2 might be my favorite game ever as is but like

I want to play with my friends online.
I want to have more options in 3D World.
I would like to know if there's another game style coming up though this is more reasonable to be silent on.

I don't even think they fixed the key door issue in SMB1 multiplayer yet where another player can simply block anyone from entering a door and progressing through the level.

It's only been six weeks and obviously they can't make a ton more content in six weeks, but the friend multiplayer issue should have been fixed by now. And the slowness is compounded by the lack of any communication.

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
You already gave yourself the answer: it's been only six weeks since release. Calm down! They will release the Multiplayer when it's ready you can be sure about that.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't we just have articles about how constantly updating games generally involves a lot of crunch? Give them more than 6 weeks, I'm sure there will be some substantial updates in the pipeline and they'll show them when they're ready. People are stilljust scratching the surface with what's possible with all the new creation tools.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Erm. I'm just gonna say MM1 updates were pretty hefty but long between them AFAIK. Give it the next Nintendo direct and I'd bet on a MM update being released the day of.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They usually use Directs to talk about essential updates for their main games and they also released MUA3/Fire Emblem post SMM2.

It's been only a couple of weeks and the next Update can't be too far off - probably should have waited with the purchase until the game is in a state that fits your expectation

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't we just have articles about how constantly updating games generally involves a lot of crunch? Give them more than 6 weeks, I'm sure there will be some substantial updates in the pipeline and they'll show them when they're ready. People are stilljust scratching the surface with what's possible with all the new creation tools.

I feel like there's a difference between "add substantial content" and "add in friend multiplayer."

I would like friend multiplayer by now.

It's been two months since they said they were working on it and I'm not sure how long this should actually take...

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Maker launched September 11, 2015

Checkpoint Update was November 4th 2015

just for reference

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like there's a difference between "add substantial content" and "add in friend multiplayer."

I would like friend multiplayer by now.

It's been two months since they said they were working on it and I'm not sure how long this should actually take...
I mean neither do I, but considering it was a last minute addition and the fact the random multiplayer has a ton of netcode problems, I'm hoping maybe they're working on all of those issues at once rather than have multiplayer with friends be broken at launch

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
tenor.gif

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I would love Nintendo to work around the clock for updates etc, I also don't want their staff burned out. Nintendo seem to be one of the only companies that care about their developers so I'll be patient if it means we will get better content in the long run.

Jun 17, 2018
The online multiplayer is straight up broken for me. Every single game I played either didn't connect or was a sideshow. The exact opposite of a fun time for me. Enjoyed story mode but wrapped it up and sold it on for fire emblem.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not great and feels like it's killed a lot of the game's momentum and exacerbated the game's faults. I would be fine with a long period like this if we had a roadmap of some kind. The almost total lack of official levels has been an unpleasant surprise, I expected the support to be better than the first game, but so far it feels weaker

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo overall could have better communication, no question...

But ... You seem really naive about how a business operates

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, game development is not easy.

One "simple" thing can break many others or allow exploits, etc
No way adding more message options would break things. I would like to LOL in competitive matches. I would like to ping jump on me in co-op.

Simple shit like that would really help a lot with the current online experience. The stuff that doesn't require an always online connection is currently in a good state.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The online multiplayer is straight up broken for me. Every single game I played either didn't connect or was a sideshow. The exact opposite of a fun time for me. Enjoyed story mode but wrapped it up and sold it on for fire emblem.

Now this is something I don't understand. How can one game have generally smooth gameplay and then another first party game is completely broken.

Nintendo online is an incomprehensible trainwreck

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo overall could have better communication, no question...

But ... You seem really naive about how a business operates

?

DOA6 is obviously more competitive multiplayer driven, but DOA6 was trashed constantly and kind of died for needing slightly over a month to add friend multiplayer and KT was actually willing to communicate when updates were coming. Game companies constantly communicate when updates are coming.

Friend multiplayer is especially frustrating as

1. The game should have launched with it.
2. IIRC, the Switch has a built-in function where you can turn off leaderboards for friend online (which was Nintendo's original excuse for not including)
3. Friend lobbies don't seem like they should take that long to develop.
4. Other companies would communicate when a feature like this is coming.
5. Nintendo hasn't really fixed any of the issues in online multiplayer at all in the first six weeks which every other online game would be super focused on. They haven't even mentioned the horrid SMB1 keydoor exploit where one player can ruin the entire game by blocking the door indefinitely.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
?

DOA6 is obviously more competitive multiplayer driven, but DOA6 was trashed constantly and kind of died for needing slightly over a month to add friend multiplayer and KT was actually willing to communicate when updates were coming. Game companies constantly communicate when updates are coming.

Friend multiplayer is especially frustrating as

1. The game should have launched with it.
2. IIRC, the Switch has a built-in function where you can turn off leaderboards for friend online (which was Nintendo's original excuse for not including)
3. Friend lobbies don't seem like they should take that long to develop.
4. Other companies would communicate when a feature like this is coming.
5. Nintendo hasn't really fixed any of the issues in online multiplayer at all in the first six weeks which every other online game would be super focused on.

As I said, Nintendo's communication has always been notoriously bad.

I already acknowledged that. How do the 6 points address anything else in my post?

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
As I said, Nintendo's communication has always been notoriously bad.

I already acknowledged that. How do the 6 points address anything else in my post?

It feels weird to say "You are naive about how a business works" for... being frustrated that Nintendo operates super differently from most other large video game businesses here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
meanwhile I'm still waiting for super Mario party to get content
this game like just came out

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Wait and see. They will keep us informed eventually.

The one thing I would like to see added is a world map feature, as that would drastically change the way levels are made and shared. Oh well, a man can dream.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I wouldn't expect anything other than disappointment from Nintendo in regards to the online features. They are completely incompetent in this area.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that the update is dropping next month to encourage people to renew their NSO subscriptions

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's probably a little too soon to expect something like that, but it really should have been there on release date (the friend lobby at least) so I can understand feeling anxious about it. Something like that should probably be pushed out sooner than other, less important features.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice if they had a small roadmap on when to expect updates or things they wanted to add in the future but its only been a bit over a month so gotta have a bit more patience. I'm still pretty salty over no friends lobby at launch though, should've been there day one.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Not every game needs an update.

There's a few changes and additions Id like for mario party, but they never announced or promised any post launch support and there's nothing fundamentally broken about the game.

No online multiplayer for Super Mario Party is suuuper shitty.

Still don't understand the "you can convince your friends to play a 1-2 hour long Mario Party game in person but you can't convince your friends to do this online" mentality.

I do a lot of stuff with my friends online for an hour or two.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not every game needs an update.

There's a few changes and additions Id like for mario party, but they never announced or promised any post launch support and there's nothing fundamentally broken about the game.
People are so conditioned to thinking every game needs to get dlc and updates. I still see people complaining to this day that Nintendo didn't give them new story dlc for Mario Odyssey.