• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will PS5/XSX impact Switch in some way?

• Yes

Votes: 628 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 807 56.2%

• Total voters

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
It'll affect Switch sales as competing consoles (yup), that's a given. But significantly? Nah.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I really don't think it will either, as the next wave of major Nintendo releases will help keep it relevant. I'm sure that the Switch will see a natural decline as we get into the next gen, but by then they will be well poised to release the Switch 2.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
I agree, Switch will continue to be a success after the PS5 and Xbox launch.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Nintendo is not targeting high end expensive consumer technology given their arcade roots.
Games are their bread and butter while their mobile initiatives is turning bad a a month old Cobb salad

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If I take the question literally, then yes it will impact the Switch in some way because I will be impacted. I'm only going to buy one piece of new hardware this year, so if my choices are PS5, Series X, and Switch Pro, the Switch Pro is going to be second or third on my list. So the PS5/XSX will impact the Switch in some ways because they will lose at least one sale this year (me).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hardware sales probably not; software sales....much more likely.
If you look at the games that sell well/best on Switch (Nintendo 1st party, Japanese games, indies, family games, remasters & retrogames) it's not like PS5 and Xbox will really be doing much to offer any overwhelmingly enticing alternatives in those areas for most people. None of those are really categories that demand or significantly benefit from higher fidelity, that's exactly why PS4/XBO didn't have much impact in these areas either. And Switch retains it's core advantage: hybrid versatility.

Now what I do think could be a threat eventually is Gamepass and similar subscription services. If that does start taking a bite out of Switch software though I'd expect Nintendo to probably roll out their own alternative service for Switch or expand NSO significantly.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They'll probably impact it about as much as the Switch impacted the PS4 and XB1 some cross over but not a great deal, switch is mature at this point and fairy self sufficient. If it flounders it'll be due to Nintendo on poor software efforts.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I think the Switch is an excellent compliment to another system. Sure you can only own the Switch but if prefer PS or Xbox as your main, the Switch is an excellent choice for those games only on Nintendo. They are different segments of the gaming market.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see it effecting them. First party and indies seems to be their focus and I don't see ps5 or xsx changing that for them.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
New consoles launching means retailers will be more limited in the amount of Switch stock they can carry during the holiday season. Like it or not, they will be competing with each other as long as the same retailers carry them.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New consoles launching means retailers will be more limited in the amount of Switch stock they can carry during the holiday season. Like it or not, they will be competing with each other as long as the same retailers carry them.
PS5 and XBX stock will be limited this year. Retailers won't have any trouble carrying Switch hardware.

Jun 17, 2018
New consoles usually have stock shortages, so if anything they'll be able to carry more Switch stock this holiday.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will. Third-party support might drop significantly aftewards PS5/XSX and Switch will probably loose the new and shiny appeal. The gap between Switch and PS5/XSW will be noticeable and, if they don't tread them lightly, this might hit Switch's appeal as well. It's important for Nintendo to have a Switch 2 ready by 2022 at most. I hope they don't repeat the same mistakes from the past by believig they have "their own thing" and ignore the competition.

Who's saying it won't affect in any way are being delusional. Some people said the same thing back in the day in the Wii days that PS3/360 wouldn't affect it in anyway, but once HD TVs became cheaper and more accessible, as well PS3/360 taking price cuts, Wii's sales started to go down. Same thing will happen with Switch once PS5/XBX arrives.

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how much it will impact it but it will to some extent. I feel it's gonna make going from these new next gen systems back to switch a lot more jarring then it already is. I will still use it for first party stuff though. Nintendo does a good job at making their games look nice on any hardware most of the time. Some games look brutal though.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can see what he is saying. However, how on earth are they gonna stack up their games against MS and Sony's finest?

www.ign.com

PlayStation 4 Launch Titles - PlayStation 4 Guide - IGN

The PlayStation 4 Launch Titles list features both the games available on launch day (November 15th in the US and the 29th in other 31 countries) and in the

People seem to not remember that the PS4 had a very weak launch. This list is also old and includes games that I am quite sure got delayed.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
We all know what Nintendo is good at.

The other areas like sports, western RPGs, FPSs, racing etc... Nintendo will be even more behind the eight ball.
Nintendo has multiple popular sports franchises and the best selling racing IP of all time.

Japan rarely does FPSs or "western" RPGs but they do have a shooter where the last entry is about to break 10 mil in Splatoon 2 and two popular RPG series in Xenoblade and Fire Emblem.

I think they'll be fine.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I've had several friends ask me if they should get a Switch or a PS4, so yes, they are competitors. That said, they have decades of experience showing people the value of a cheaper handheld alternative, so yes, they'll also be just fine. Lol

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's hard for them to not make SOME impact, but overall, I think the Switch will be fine. If the next gen consoles are going to be in the $500 range, then they'll be doubly fine.

Apr 21, 2018
I think the biggest negative impact will be AAA 3rd party support. Obvious the Switch already doesn't get the same level of support the PS4 and XB1 get, but once developers move to PS5 and XSX-only development porting down to Switch will basically become impossible.

If this generation is anything like the last one, it'll take 12-18 months before anything significant comes out that is specifically and exclusively targeting PS5/X1 (even Halo Infinite is multiplat).

12-18 months after PS5/X1 release, I suspect the Switch Pro or Switch 2 will be released or around the corner.

So I think your concern is practically a non-issue and the 3rd party landscape will look similar to how it did during Switch's life.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
As others have said, the major publishers may opt to focus on next gen graphics instead of catering to the Switch's existing user base, but that's okay. The Switch is doing fine with Nintendo software, indies, and the occasional third party exclusive. People like playing games on the Switch, and the games you can play on it are good.

Also, people are buying into Nintendo's rip-off online service (myself included to be fair) and subscription mobile games. That's a good source of revenue for them I imagine

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
He's right;

There are people on the internet that worries more about that stuff than they should. Switch will be fine, getting great games and selling well

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Impact it at all? I'm sure there will be some minor impact, but I don't think sales will be impacted in any measurable way, which is what I believe the poll is asking.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not going to predict the Switch sales absolutely crater, but it's hard not to see it being impacted. The Switch may not be direct competitors to PS5 and Xbox, but with the release of new consoles comes more dedicated gamers likely to buy those and more hyper and advertising for them as well.

Whether it's 10% or 25% I don't know, but I'd be surprised if sales are what you'd expect based on historical data in a vacuum.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo did a great job by rebuilding bridges with many third-parties with Switch. They should definitively keep on fostering it's ecosystem for those games and would be a bad move to allow that go away. It's very important to make a Switch 2 by 2022, at most, to keep that around.

They probably won't have a noticeable impact on Switch sales, same a how Switch didn't have a noticeable impact on PS4 sales.

It most definitively had on Xbox One.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I would imagine the biggest impact would be if we stop getting those crazy Wolfenstein/Doom/Witcher ports. Otherwise, I imagine indies will be everywhere, and Switch will be hanging out with the best library for someone looking into a new system (assuming you can't buy PS4/XB1 games on the new systems).

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo has multiple popular sports franchises and the best selling racing IP of all time.

Japan rarely does FPSs or "western" RPGs but they do have a shooter where the last entry is about to break 10 mil in Splatoon 2 and two popular RPG series in Xenoblade and Fire Emblem.

I think they'll be fine.

100% they will be fine.

Perhaps part of me still holds out hope for a beefier Switch 2

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
In some way yes. Just like Switch will impact PS5 and XB.

They are all dedicated gaming systems.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PS5 and XBX stock will be limited this year. Retailers won't have any trouble carrying Switch hardware.
New consoles usually have stock shortages, so if anything they'll be able to carry more Switch stock this holiday.
Shortage or not, the amount of Switch stock will still be impacted by the millions. People are focusing too much on the demographics, but none of that matters when inventory is in the equation.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
No is winning and I don't believe you. They're in the same fucking industry producing the same fucking product.

But because everyone here, like me, is a psycho who buys multiple consoles, we assume it wont be impacted at all.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect Switch and light will have 1st price cut near the next gen launches. Going to be a tough road for the 500 dollar machines after the initial launch frenzy. PC + Switch future imo.
It's going to be tougher for the switch in the future compared to the ps5 and Xbox series x, sooner than later they will have an upgraded switch to make a difference. There will definitely be an negative impact to switch in long term.