• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Just because you say it's garbage tier doesn't mean everyone thinks it is. You are comparing it to other services that are significantly more expensive. People in NYC love good pizza, but there is a reason the lines go out the door for dollar pizza.

Don't buy dollar pizza and then get mad that they aren't using the same ingredients as fine dining. Do you really think XBL/PSN would have all the features it has if it was priced like Nintendo Online?
Yes, PS3 was free and it was better. Hell, Vita had better online play

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
As long as I can keep playing Warframe on the go without paying for their "service", I'm content. It's shameful that they haven't figured out how to implement common features such as messaging, but there are plenty of examples of abuse on every other platform, that nobody will ever be able to fix. I can only assume that Nintendo just doesn't want that on their platform given their target audience.

To me, it seems that the lack of these features is more of a conscious omission rather than incompetence.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I think we know that the Xbox/Playstation market is different from the people that buy Nintendo systems overall. It's the reason why there was no pushback when the PS4 added a payment requirement to the PSN on PS4.

No, it's not a different market. Switches aren't flying off shelves because some new demographic has emerged. People who enjoy videogames are buying Switch. The same people that also play on PS4, Xbox, and PC.
There was no pushback with PS4 because they were matching what Microsoft was doing, but added a little more value by giving away free games. Microsoft then matched that.
Nintendo then came along and wants $20 for nothing.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thats not how this works. It's the only way to play smash online. I'm forced to pay if I want to play online.

Also, they don't even seem to be updating their app. I only see one update on the App Store, even though it's buggy as hell. What bullshit.
Then stop playing the game too.

I was a hardcore Sony fan till they announced ps+ for only gaming. Canceled my ps4 pre-order and got a new pc later that year.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Usually I would say such topic titles are inflammatory, but really, the title and the OP aren't overly hyperbolic. Nintendo's online offering is somehow a step backward from the Wii U--and THAT WAS FREE. :O

Nintendo deserves everything it gets with this poor showing.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thats not how this works. It's the only way to play smash online. I'm forced to pay if I want to play online.

Also, they don't even seem to be updating their app. I only see one update on the App Store, even though it's buggy as hell. What bullshit.
You're not forced to play online. You get to decide if the price Nintendo charges is worth the value of playing online to you.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
No, it's not a different market. Switch's aren't flying off shelves because some new demographic has emerged. People who enjoy videogames are buying Switch. The same people that also play on PS4, Xbox, and PC.
There was no pushback with PS4 because they were matching what Microsoft was doing, but added a little more value by giving away free games. Microsoft then matched that.
Nintendo then came along and wants $20 for nothing.

Come on, do you really think the average consumer owns more than one system? Do you see the threads about Nintendo games on a regular basis...do you really think the same people saying Let's Go would flop are buying a Switch for this service?

Of course there is overlap, but since the N64/GC, Nintendo has always had its own fanbase that places less value on online services and more on being able to play their first party games. And let's stop with the charging $20/year for nothing...they are charging less than the competition to play games online.

If I only want to play games online, without all the other stuff that XBL/PSN has, is there a cheaper price that they offer? Because even the $40 discounts that can be found is double what Nintendo charges, not to mention the cheaper family plan. I mean, you have people in here suggesting that if people didn't buy this service, they would be forced to apply dedicated servers to their service...do you think the average gamer, especially the average Nintendo owner, know what that is?
Then stop playing the game too.

I was a hardcore Sony fan till they announced ps+ for only gaming. Canceled my ps4 pre-order and got a new pc later that year.
You're not forced to play online. You get to decide if the price Nintendo charges is worth the value of playing online to you.

And again...I totally agree with these statements. People cry anti-consumer but cling onto games like its a cure for cancer. Nintendo offered a price point that they knew people would cave at. Part of the reason why I didn't buy a Wii or WiiU, but now that I have a robust PC, my 3rd party and online games are played there....I'm not solely dependant on a console like I was back then.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who is saying you can't criticize this or that people are trying to validate purchases? Who have I personally attacked? When have I said that NSO is perfect? People here really lack nuance! It's a fair price IMO in comparison to what the competition is priced at. Literally all I am saying here.

But if you did buy the Switch, and knew about this...of course you can complain, it just makes you a poor consumer. Nintendo doesn't care about online services really, and are only charging because the competition is charging so much more.

Of course it wasn't! But it wasn't a value either. People didn't say "oh well PSN has free online so I'm going to pay for more expensive hardware".

You telling someone that the Switch has crappy online isn't going to solely prevent someone from buying the system, is my point. And, I said that a online system at $20/yr, would likely have the similar features, unless you can provide me with an example otherwise.

I don't know where you are getting that, because they didn't charge for online, is why the WiiU flopped. That's totally ridiculous and outside of what anyone is talking about. What I did say is, no one bought the WiiU because it has improved online which is free unlike the competition.

Or, are you confusing me saying that people are price senstive to more than $20/year the way they didn't or hesitated to buy the Switch because it was too expensive by $50, or ports that are too expensive by $40. You seem to be adding arguments that I never claimed.
Youre changing the argument. I never said anything about sales or what a value it was to consumers buying the system and neither did you. All you said was that no system at the price of the switch's online would offer the same value which is demonstratably 100% false

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is saying you can't criticize this or that people are trying to validate purchases? Who have I personally attacked? When have I said that NSO is perfect? People here really lack nuance! It's a fair price IMO in comparison to what the competition is priced at. Literally all I am saying here.

But if you did buy the Switch, and knew about this...of course you can complain, it just makes you a poor consumer. Nintendo doesn't care about online services really, and are only charging because the competition is charging so much more.
for them to be poor consumers the switch would have to have nothing else going for it. is that what you're implying?

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
God, I'm continually disgusted at the justifications people make for this service.

"It's Nintendo, what do you expect?"

I EXPECT it to be significantly better than the free service they provided on their last four systems. I EXPECT a robust offering of classic games that at least encompasses their history up until the mid-2000's, given they set that precedent with the Wii and Wii U. I EXPECT a more fleshed out online service than what Sega provided in 2000!

This service is yet another reason for third parties to nope the fuck out of Nintendo's ecosystem despite Switch's sales trajectory. You will never see a COD game on Switch, remaster or new, while Nintendo continues to shit the bed with online.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Youre changing the argument. I never said anything about sales or what a value it was to consumers buying the system and neither did you. All you said was that no system at the price of the switch's online would offer the same value which is demonstratably 100% false

I'd love to see an example....because of course it COULD happen, but as Nintendo has shown, no one is stupid enough anymore to give console online gaming for free. Only Nintendo was doing that before. I mean...based on your point, XBL and PSN should be free as well, because they can afford it, and neither company is hurting for money.

for them to be poor consumers the switch would have to have nothing else going for it. is that what you're implying?

If you think the online system is anti-consumer and a rip-off, but you are still paying for it, then that dwarfs anything else the system has going for it. Those are just games. People are levying serious accusations against Nintendo on this which supercedes the value of any games. And specifically, with Nintendo, we know they don't really care about their online services and they never have. At some point you have to put your money where your mouth is. The only chance of getting their attention is affecting their dollars.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God, I'm continually disgusted at the justifications people make for this service.

"It's Nintendo, what do you expect?"

I EXPECT it to be significantly better than the free service they provided on their last four systems. I EXPECT a robust offering of classic games that at least encompasses their history up until the mid-2000's, given they set that precedent with the Wii and Wii U. I EXPECT a more fleshed out online service than what Sega provided in 2000!

This service is yet another reason for third parties to nope the fuck out of Nintendo's ecosystem despite Switch's sales trajectory. You will never see a COD game on Switch, remaster or new, while Nintendo continues to shit the bed with online.
Is it? I see big online 3rd party games like FIFA and Rocket League and Fortnite and Minecraft, in less than 2 years of Switch's existence. I don't think that's the reason at all or that COD is even that important nowadays.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The irony of Nintendo online being cheap is that its the opposite of their software pricing where they're extremely resistant to discounts and lower prices.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Someone tweet this thread to Nintendo. I don't understand why their online is so tone deaf

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? I see big online 3rd party games like FIFA and Rocket League and Fortnite and Minecraft, in less than 2 years of Switch's existence. I don't think that's the reason at all or that COD is even that important nowadays.

What? Isisnt it always in the top 3 played in psn and Xbox live? Also didn't the latest NPD show sales for Black Ops 4 very good?

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Black Ops IV is the best-selling game of the year in the US.

I'd be very interested to see how the service has affected Rocket League's player base on Switch.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I feel like like gamexplain let nintendo off the hook when the online came out while other nintendo focused channels like arlo were giving it the criticism it deserves.

Cant even voice chat in smash because nobody can be arsed to use the app. Youre also a liar if you magically dont get lag in games like splatoon or mario kart. They hide it sloppily and its easy to notice.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't play Fortnight, but doesn't that have some kind of matchmaking (plus is exempt from the online charges)? Plus matchmaking with other systems? So couldn't nintendo implement some kind of Super Smash matchmaking if they really wanted to?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What? Isisnt it always in the top 3 played in psn and Xbox live? Also didn't the latest NPD show sales for Black Ops 4 very good?
Really? I wouldn't be able to tell you the name of the latest COD but I guess that's my own ignorance.
Black Ops IV is the best-selling game of the year in the US.

I'd be very interested to see how the service has affected Rocket League's player base on Switch.
I don't know but it does have the benefit of crossplay. In FIFA it didn't affect the matchmaking times or anything.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I think NSO will either get an overhaul or go back to being free. I doubt it's making that much money and they haven't released the numbers so I'm skeptical it's doing well... And then smash came out, I wanted to play online so fuck me.

I would imagine that they're doing just fine right now...
...but when their 53-week anniversary happens (1 year after launch, plus the free week everyone got), if they haven't made some improvements or come out with some killer app by then, THAT is when the numbers are going to fall off, I think.

That being said...

...Animal Crossing is coming soon. =\

You could do what I do and just pretend that online modes don't exist in Nintendo's games.

Like what the fuck is up with New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe not having online co-op? A game that already has co-op in it? A six year old Wii U port that they ask 60 dollars for?

To their credit, I'll say this: *any* measurable lag would kill that game. Do you really think it would be a good experience?

What I honestly couldn't believe was that there were no leaderboards in NSMBU (on Wii U) for the time trial and other challenge modes. I expected those, along with the ability to watch the top players' replays. I hope they added these features for the new version, but...I wouldn't bet on it.

Acting as if online gaming in 2018 is a choice one should make as opposed to a fundamental aspect of the industry is crazy talk.

It *is* a choice. Did you forget that there is still a large portion of gamers who never play online, and stick to single-player campaigns and/or vs. CPU in all of their games?
...unless you're talking about it from the console manufacturer's side, in which case I completely agree.

Last edited:

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
I wish i could invite friends to my smash arena or hell, at least send me a notification if they have an arena opened.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what I'm paying for. It's no different than the Wii or Wii U

It's clear what you're paying for. The ability to play most switch games online. That said, it's a terrible effort by Nintendo considering that it's now paid. I expected much better friend integration. It sucks currently. Their big games like Mario kart and splatoon aren't all that friendly when it comes to online play with pals either.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the app would at least send you a notification for when a friend goes online. Hell, why can't I get the Home button on the Joycon to light up when a friend goes online?

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
I think the issue here is that people on here are used to good offerings by Xbox and PlayStation. The general public probably don't care enough to complain as it only cost £20 for a year.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
The worst is that even their first party offerings have absolute crap online options.

Like what the fuck is up with New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe not having online co-op? A game that already has co-op in it? A six year old Wii U port that they ask 60 dollars for? Nintendo honestly couldn't be bothered to add an online component to it? I don't care about the game but this shit has to be called out.

great example! shame on Nintendo for half-assing it.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play Smash online, but the service is just too garbage. I tried the free trial and it was abysmal. You'd expect they would improve on the service after they started charging for it, but no, it's actually somehow worse than online on the Wii U. I guess we should be used to Nintendo being bad at online by now, but somehow I'm actually surprised it's still this bad.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't even let you post high scores without paying for their dogshit service. That's a great way to get me to buy fewer games on the Switch.

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the app would at least send you a notification for when a friend goes online. Hell, why can't I get the Home button on the Joycon to light up when a friend goes online?
This is all I ever wanted and it's laughable that we still don't have this basic functionality.
This functionality is pretty much useless due to the fact that you can't even send messages or invites through their service.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Although nothing feels improved? Do you really believe they improved their back end? I don't and I think they lied about that. I bought Splatoon 2 day one and I still get the same amount of lag since day one and I am running a fiber connection.

Also it's straight up hyperbole to me when someone says they haven't experiences lag online in Switch games. Smash bros lags every fucking game I have played. Every match... that to me is ridiculous. Why not have dedicated servers to your first party games like MS does with there's ? Why not offer cloud saves for free when the other 2 services are doing it then? If Nintendo doesn't care about online, why charge for it?

Not saying their online subscription isn't a poor value for the services, but how would the gameplay lag be related to their service?
For the actual gameplay, do the games you mention run on Nintendo servers or are they peer-to-peer? If the latter, wouldn't Nintendo's infrastructure only handle the matchmaking aspect and not the actual in-game performance?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Come on, do you really think the average consumer owns more than one system? Do you see the threads about Nintendo games on a regular basis...do you really think the same people saying Let's Go would flop are buying a Switch for this service?

Of course there is overlap, but since the N64/GC, Nintendo has always had its own fanbase that places less value on online services and more on being able to play their first party games. And let's stop with the charging $20/year for nothing...they are charging less than the competition to play games online.

If I only want to play games online, without all the other stuff that XBL/PSN has, is there a cheaper price that they offer?

"Without all the other stuff"...like inviting friends to play. The most basic feature you could possibly have, isn't even included.

Nintendo's fanbase caring less about online services since the N64/GameCube day's was a good laugh.

I mean, who nominated you in charge of what the "Nintendo fanbase" wants? It's always funny to see people act as though they speak for everyone. You don't speak for them.

The increased price of what Microsoft/Sony charge comes with far more benefits than Nintendo's $20 for nothing. Given the number of games Switch owners brag about buying, I don't think they'd handwave the chance to get multiple free indies/AAA games every month for an extra $20-$40. They could even message their friends about it!

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've never been anti-phone app like a lot of people. I'd be fine doing all the stuff through the app but the issue is the app doesn't do shit.
Why can't the app just have voice chat for all your friends? It's in game only and only available for very few games.

Don't get me started on Smash online, the only reason I subbed.

I would still say the $20 was totally worth it if we got at least up to N64 games on the system. Only NES is a disgusting joke.

Exactly this. I should be able to open the app and it should log me automatically into the voice servers of whatever game I'm playing. And give me the option to form a voice channel with friends regardless of the game being played. Simple.

Give the third-parties an option to join in.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
"Without all the other stuff"...like inviting friends to play. The most basic feature you could possibly have, isn't even included.

Nintendo's fanbase caring less about online services since the N64/GameCube day's was a good laugh.

I mean, who nominated you in charge of what the "Nintendo fanbase" wants? It's always funny to see people act as though they speak for everyone. You don't speak for them.

The increased price of what Microsoft/Sony charge comes with far more benefits than Nintendo's $20 for nothing. Given the number of games Switch owners brag about buying, I don't think they'd handwave the chance to get multiple free indies/AAA games every month for an extra $20-$40. They could even message their friends about it!

Who is saying this? Look at the comments in the thread. Look at Switch sales. Look at the sales of games with online capabilities since NSO launched. The numbers don't lie. And again, no one is saying this service is close to flawless...the actual point is that it is very barebones.

Geez some of you really can't handle an opposing viewpoint. This isn't a Battlefront 2 situation that people are making it out to be.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
At least I'm getting decent performance on my end. Both Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate play perfectly fine. But I do agree that I don't get what I'm actually paying for.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I feel like like gamexplain let nintendo off the hook when the online came out while other nintendo focused channels like arlo were giving it the criticism it deserves.

Cant even voice chat in smash because nobody can be arsed to use the app. Youre also a liar if you magically dont get lag in games like splatoon or mario kart. They hide it sloppily and its easy to notice.

I'm not sure why "liar" is your default assumption when I was critical of Smash Wii U's online to the point of not using it. Ultinate's online has been overall pleasant got me, with some hiccups; I wish it were for you too.

As for NSO, I just can't get worked up about it. It does what I need it to just well enough that it doesn't make make me vehemently angry as it seems to for others.

We don't look to other outlets to determine how we should feel.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
There's not a single person in this thread defending Nintendo—good for us. Someone needs to tweet them this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Switch has the absolute worst online component of any console in the modern era, handheld or otherwise; it's a disgrace.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I'm not sure why "liar" is your default assumption when I was critical of Smash Wii U's online to the point of not using it. Ultinate's online has been overall pleasant got me, with some hiccups; I wish it were for you too.

As for NSO, I just can't get worked up about it. It does what I need it to just well enough that it doesn't make make me vehemently angry as it seems to for others.

We don't look to other outlets to determine how we should feel.

Thanks for responding andre. Ive just always noticed that even with games that are on both wii u and switch like mario kart, the online has gotten even worse.

Not just on a console level, but quality of connections and frequency of issues. A lot of people on this forum seem to never notice it either cause they dont play online a lot or only owned a nintendo system is my guess.

Wasnt specifically calling you a liar either.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Acting as if online gaming in 2018 is a choice one should make as opposed to a fundamental aspect of the industry is crazy talk.
You're right, and so is thinking about free online on consoles. The paywall is now the status quo, with more or less fluff around. And because it's such a fundamental part of gaming, people will pay up, i.e., the value it represents to people is superior to the price it costs. Nintendo's approach is just more in your face about what it means.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we are STILL talking about this in 2018 is obscene. Nintendo games and Nintendo gamers both deserve better. Like it's genuinely very frustrating how badly these games are held back by terrible infrastructure.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I've said this before, but using PS+/XBL as a defense of NSO is straight up BS. "It's cheaper so of course it's worse, what were you expecting" doesn't fly when messaging, game invites, and system level party chat, the most basic of features, are all 100% free on every other platform, and don't require you to use a shitty app on a game by game basis. NSO doesn't do even do the bare minimum, that's the issue here. Stop propping up the price when you know damn well most of the features people want are free elsewhere. Even the Vita had all of these features, WITH compatibility with PS3/PS4 messaging and PS4 parties. There straight up isn't an excuse for the Switch's online experience being the way it is.