• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How will Nintendo get'cher gacha next?

• F-Zero

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Pikmin

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Wii Sports

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Nintendogs

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Mother / Earthbound

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • other

Votes: 24 29.6%

• Total voters

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's been a while since Nintendo has announced plans for a new smartphone-only fork of an existing franchise. Let's assume the company wants to continue printing money with its successful launches of F2P games, even if it comes at the cost of your favorite classic series taking a F2P dive. If this indeed happens, and they do so with an existing IP (as opposed to the semi-successful Dragalia Lost), what's next? Poll is above; my personal guesses are below. I do not post any of these ideas as ones that I necessarily want to see, but rather potential, "organic" extensions of existing mechanics that COULD work in a F2P model.

F-Zero: I made a joking post in a recent thread about ERA fans clamoring for another F-Zero launch. While I too would love another F-Zero (and am glad we at least have Fast Racing NEO), this instantly made me think of the F-Zero GX character-select menu, which includes a whopping 41 pilots. Nintendo has yet to pay this cast forward in a game since. A smartphone driving game with a focus on combat, with "swipe to ram" mechanics to attack nearby pilots, could be fun... but MTX could figure in if a favorite ship went into disrepair, or if players wanted to unlock each pilot (let alone each GOLD variant).

CI_3DS_HeyPikmin_Screenshot1_CMM_big.jpg

Pikmin: I could see a spinoff of Hey! Pikmin! happening on smartphone screens, or maybe a Clash Royale-style battler with various colors and types of Pikmin figuring into how you beat those battles/missions. In either case, there could be a H!P!-like garden-sim manager on top, where you use limited Pikmin (which you either earn in missions or buy via MTX) to build defenses, new buildings, or paths forward in a campaign.

large.jpg

Wii Sports: an online-multiplayer mix of various popular Wii Sports minigames (tennis, bowling, golf), complete with the original Mii models, translated to phones with touch-screen controls. MTX and season pass to drive limited-time outfits and accessories for your Miis.

latest

Nintendogs: It's been a while. Animal-care sims on a smartphone don't need an explanation.

Earthbound / Mother: .......I don't have an idea for how this would work. I just added this for the lulz.

What else? Wanna make fellow ERA readers mad with your guesses about Metroid? How about your dream vision for a Tingle gacha bonanza? Have at it below.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any of the poll options being a good fit for gacha, but these are the Nintendo properties that absolutely won't get actual sequels, so that part checks out.

šŸ˜­

Igno1228

Feb 11, 2019
Denver, USA
I think Nintendogs is most likely, but honestly I could see a Pikmin mobile game being super fun, albeit a wholly inadequate stand-in for Pikmin 4.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in gacha'ing dead franchises. If there was a fanbase to exploit with a gacha game, they wouldn't be dead franchises.

Nintendogs is the only game in the poll that's even remotely able to support a gacha title, and even then it stands a decent chance of being dead on arrival

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nintendogs would be a good mobile game so Nintendo would never dare

Probably Splatoon or Zelda

Nintendo seems to be trying to go through its core franchises for mobile adaptations, and Zelda and Splatoon are the main ones left and have potential for gacha/other MTX

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
NIntendogs not happening yet seems so odd. Keep a select breed free, make people pay for the other ones.
Get X amount of coins a day that you can use on customization option or buy more coins to buy more clothes asap.
it all kinda writes itself and the brand still has a casual presence along with nostalgia.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Well, we have:
*Social App: Miitomo
*Running platformer: Mario Run
*Fantasy 3D RPG Gacha: Dragalia Lost
*Fantasy 2d SRPG Gacha:. FEH
*Neko Atsume-style(???): Animal Crossing Pocket Camp
AR Game: Pokemon Go
Chess Battle Gacha: Pokemon Duel
Match Three: Pokemon Shuffle, Dr.Mario World
Rapid Popping RPG Gacha: Yokai Watch Wibble Wobble

We're missing a card game, tower defense, and town builder? Are those all of the mobile game tropes? I guess Battle Royale now too, huh?
I believe Zelda can be perfect for all of the tbh with the mass amount of monsters and special characters it can make a super fun card game, an intriguing story for town builder and tower defense a la Clash of Clans. Maybe they can rework the town builder as a galaxy builder using Star Fox? A short sprint-racing game would pre pretty fun similar to Sonic Battle. There's also the slinging physics gacha-game similar to Monster Strike and Innocent Bane, Zelda again, could be a good one but Kirby is already round so it could support that style. With all of the Kirby monsters and character to collect that could be a great game. Kirby rythm game seems more like it.

Truly there are endless possibilities but, the one Sega really needs to get the ball rolling on is a Chao Garden Mobile game with multiplayer aspects like battling and other minigames that support the different Chao skills. They could make B A N K off of a game like that. And if they make their next Sonic game, they could possibly have a day care where you could send it to the console game for additional fun like online battles and HD battling with differnt style mingames more fit for consoles. Heck, you could even make a Battle Royale Chao game. That's kinda crazy but crazy enough to where it might just be fun.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Well, we have:
*Social App: Miitomo
*Running platformer: Mario Run
*Fantasy 3D RPG Gacha: Dragalia Lost
*Fantasy 2d SRPG Gacha:. FEH
*Neko Atsume-style(???): Animal Crossing Pocket Camp
AR Game: Pokemon Go
Chess Battle Gacha: Pokemon Duel
Match Three: Pokemon Shuffle, Dr.Mario World
Rapid Popping RPG Gacha: Yokai Watch Wibble Wobble

We're missing a card game, tower defense, and town builder? Are those all of the mobile game tropes? I guess Battle Royale now too, huh?
I believe Zelda can be perfect for all of the tbh with the mass amount of monsters and special characters it can make a super fun card game, an intriguing story for town builder and tower defense a la Clash of Clans. Maybe they can rework the town builder as a galaxy builder using Star Fox? A short sprint-racing game would pre pretty fun similar to Sonic Battle. There's also the slinging physics gacha-game similar to Monster Strike and Innocent Bane, Zelda again, could be a good one but Kirby is already round so it could support that style. With all of the Kirby monsters and character to collect that could be a great game. Kirby rythm game seems more like it.

Truly there are endless possibilities but, the one Sega really needs to get the ball rolling on is a Chao Garden Mobile game with multiplayer aspects like battling and other minigames that support the different Chao skills. They could make B A N K off of a game like that. And if they make their next Sonic game, they could possibly have a day care where you could send it to the console game for additional fun like online battles and HD battling with differnt style mingames more fit for consoles. Heck, you could even make a Battle Royale Chao game. That's kinda crazy but crazy enough to where it might just be fun.
Nintendo will announce a Splatoon tower defense/Clash Royale clone/auto-chess this year for mobile. Book it.

Oh, yeah, and it will suck, of course.

OP
OP
samred

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Haven't they already announced a Zelda mobile title?

Never officially announced. This is the last we all heard of it: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-developing-the-legend-of-zelda-smartphone-game-1494820189

Nintendo supposedly applied for something related to Spirit Tracks as a possible smartphone release. but Nintendo has more openly teased other smartphone fare before the other apps' respective launches. they very well could pull a SURPRISE FOOLS about a Zelda smartphone game, but I'm not placing a bet on that happening.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I still dont understand how stuff nobody gives a damn about like Dr. Mario gets a mobie game before Nintendogs. I think the latter would do very well on mobile.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda writes itself, just imagine the dramatic build up of the classic chest opening jingle as you unbox your tenth 3* Tingle.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I feel like Xenoblade would be a better fit for mobile than many of Nintendo's other properties. Character-focused, RPG-style games are a pretty major force among ftp mobile games, and the Xenoblade series has been pretty versatile and adaptable so far.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
None.
They should do business deals to allow other companies to get Nintendo characters into their gacha games. They are like the last popular wall that hasn't been broken in the market.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
nintendogs mobile makes a lot of sense and would probably actually get traction. I doubt the others would fare well

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it pretty much everywhere for the longest time, Nintendogs would be huge in mobile.
Purchasing new items for your puppy.
Houses, laces, shoes, glasses, hats, ties, suits, ribbons, seasonal costumes, food, treats,
Taking it to the vet, tournaments, parks, events.
Training it to simple tricks and stuff like that. Possibilities are endless with the IP.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Years ago, I definitely remember Nintendo saying a Zelda mobile game was coming.

Wonder what happened to that.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
You need waifus and husbandos for a successful gacha. Advance Wars it is.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Style Savvy would probably work pretty well on mobile, but I'm still hoping for a Switch version instead.

Monetizing all the clothes would almost certainly create a situation where free to play users would have to grind out copies of the same outfit over and over to save up for the clothes they actually want.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'd bet Nintendogs, its a good idea if they are not putting it on the table. F-Zero could be fun with create-a-car