• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I agree they're crappy rewards, but Nintendo don't have to give you a thing for your birthday and certainly don't owe you anything, so your complaint sounds like it stems from some sense of entitlement...?

Sure, it would be really great if they updated their rewards to include Switch titles and it would be nice for us as consumers, but they're certainly not compelled to. Not even a little.

All this said... happy birthday!

Last edited:

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Sony and Microsoft don't offer birthday rewards but their games actually decrease in price so it's like every day is my birthday by comparison.

I mean, for one day, Hey Pikmin is now $30 instead of it's usual $40. Ya gotta laugh at that.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the fact you get anything at all. If I was Nintendo I'd send you a big image of a poo for your next birthday.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You are one year closer to death and 30% closer to owning an old game.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
You don't deserve anything for it being your birthday. Sorry!

I got the same email and absolutely did not have the same reaction as you.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
Stay true to your feelings OP. If you feel like it was a waste then that's you.

I'm pretty sure most of us here would feel unfair if we got something completely useless for our birthday.

There are people in the world who don't even get acknowledgement of their birthdays. It's completely subjective

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
aa0.png

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
ERA (on playing old NES games on the switch): This is fucked nintendo needs to find some way to allow us to play more of their old games

ERA (on Nintendo birthday offers): fuck off with this old shit I only want the new hotness

drag00n18

Banned
Dec 7, 2018
So I got the usual email from them. "Hey, Transistor! It's your birthday! Enjoy 30% off a select digital title!"

Wow, thanks Nintendo! Let's see what you have!

screenshot_20190801-1lvjsi.jpg

7 3DS games and 3 Wii U games.

Wow..... Thanks..... Would a 10% off Switch games coupon kill them?

I sympathize, I recently got the birthday email too. I'd rather get nothing than the massive heap of disappointment on display. My reasons below:

1) No Switch games
2) All of the games are on dead or dying platforms
3) Discounts are on games that should have already been reduced (Nintendo digital tax..sigh).
4) Anticipation to instant regret clicking on email

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
What is going on with the replies here? The slap in the face is that Nintendo is offering a "coupon" for these old ass games for systems no one gives a shit about any more. Hell, even after the discount most of these games are far less expensive retail. In Star Fox's case, you are paying more than triple for the privilege of owning it digital. Screw you, Nintendo! I'd rather not get anything! Wtf. Dude gets shit coupon for a 7 year old system the company doesn't even manufacture anymore. These replies suck and you guys should feel bad for defending this shit.

He's totally right, why NOT offer even a small discount on a game from... you know, a system they still manufacture and is their primary focus right now? But what do I know about marketing I guess.

It's not about being entitled, but why even send what is— for all intents and purposes— a sales solicitation for this ancient shit?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Would it really kill Nintendo to offer 30% off something like 1-2 Switch, Arms, FE Heroes, Splatoon 2, or other Switch First Party titles that are relatively old now and still overpriced? Most people never owned a WiiU and have sold their 3DS by now considering how dead it is, so a 30% discount towards games on those systems is worse than no email. At least Microsoft and Sony don't get your hopes up for a potential discount on games for their current platform when it is your birthday, lol.

Or better yet, just give 20-50 freaking gold coins for a birthday. At least that can be used for something useful.
I don't get the overpriced thing when the game sell what they do.

Is Splatoon 2 $70?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I can't believe the defense force in here. They're ready to tear you limb from limb.

There's nothing free here. They're offering you a "discount" on games on defunct systems that if you wanted you would have bought years ago. It just makes no sense.

"You're not entitled to anything" Oh this can go piss in a lake.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the overpriced thing when the game sell what they do.

Is Splatoon 2 $70?
When a game is 2.5 years old, it still shouldn't be $60. That's the Nintendo tax for you. While other companies devalue their game too quickly, cough, Ubisoft, Nintendo almost never drops the price of their games. That just guarantees I will never purchase a number of Nintendo games that only mildly interest me. Meanwhile, games on PS4 or Steam that only mildly interest me, I can get them 1-2 years later for like $10-30. I'll never buy Mario Aces, Arms, Mario Party, Pokken, etc because they don't interest me enough to pay $40-50+ for. Ever green/huge titles like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey I can see an argument for to not devalue them, but B and C tier Nintendo published titles? Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still a pretty niche title and could drum up some more sales with discounts but Nintendo never does...

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo are the tightest of all the gaming companies except when it comes to DLC, otherwise don't bother complaining about prices or discounts because it's been like this forever.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hey OP, would it make you feel any better if I told you that I just booked you a three week stay at your local Howard Johnson for your birthday?

I made sure it even had an oven, so you're not stuck eating Taco Bell everyday.
Why you want OP to live like a homeless person???

For real though, my birthday was last month and I had to have a laugh about this with the guys on Discord. Whoever compared it to Charlie Brown having the football yanked away was bang on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, it's (barely) better than nothing!

But yeah it's a pretty disappointing bait and switch (pun not intended) when you see that email subject. Happened to me a few months ago.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I agree they're crappy rewards, but Nintendo don't have to give you a thing for your birthday and certainly don't owe you anything, so your complaint sounds like it stems from some sense of entitlement...?

Sure, it would be really great if they updated their rewards to include Switch titles and it would be nice for us as consumers, but they're certainly not compelled to. Not even a little.

Pretty much what I was going to say, nearly word for word. My sentiments exactly.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
LOL I just got this email today and thought the exact same thing. What a joke.

Also, happy birthday!

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, I'm with you - I got the email too, was excited to see what I could save a few bucks on and was pretty shocked at how poor the selection was. I guess I'm just some entitled brat though.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's promotions are always a fucking joke. The birthday one is an extra insult with old ass games that you could get cheaper elsewhere. Just turn it off

It's funny that people compare Nintendo with Sony and Microsoft when they are literally leagues better than Nintendo with promotions

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
How is it entitlement? Nintendo basically hands op a turd in a box and people on here are like "you should be grateful for a turd in a box you piece of shit." Nobody asked Nintendo for a turd in a box bro, this was their idea, and their idea sucked. You don't have to be entitled to figure that out fanboy.
I'm not a fanboy so your assumption on that is pretty stupid first of all and shows how much you like to jump the gun. Second of all, what, are we expecting them to actually give out useful rewards? If they did people would exploit it and just create new accounts for the discounts it takes 3 seconds for people with a brain to realize that and clearly you did not. The rewards are shit but who cares nobody else is giving you anything at least they said happy birthday

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Weird. My bday was yesterday and they gave me 300 platinum points. I have no idea if that is better or worse that what they are offering you but that's what they gave me.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
People taking it so seriously lmao. Agreed OP that list is weak af.

Check around in the spam inbox there might be some good deals for physical games at different retailers. Always get a wave of those sent out when it's my birthday.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

Of course they don't "have" to do anything but it is them that decided to do this promotion. And it sucks, the OP is right to point this out. Like if your not going to offer anything even remotely worthwhile then why do anything at all.

If Nintendo announced that they were going to have a sale and they put 5 Wii U games on discount people would definitely call them out on it. Would those people be entitled because technically Nintendo doesn't have to put anything on sale at all???

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
When a game is 2.5 years old, it still shouldn't be $60. That's the Nintendo tax for you. While other companies devalue their game too quickly, cough, Ubisoft, Nintendo almost never drops the price of their games. That just guarantees I will never purchase a number of Nintendo games that only mildly interest me. Meanwhile, games on PS4 or Steam that only mildly interest me, I can get them 1-2 years later for like $10-30. I'll never buy Mario Aces, Arms, Mario Party, Pokken, etc because they don't interest me enough to pay $40-50+ for. Ever green/huge titles like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey I can see an argument for to not devalue them, but B and C tier Nintendo published titles? Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still a pretty niche title and could drum up some more sales with discounts but Nintendo never does...

Fair enough. I'd like piece drops myself and I only buy Nintendo games that old on sale if I didn't get them at launch. They just continue to sell for whatever reason so while I'd like them cheaper, I guess Nintendo sees no reason to lower them.