• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I have to say that I will be pretty surprised if we finish out Pokemon's 25th anniversary without getting the GB/GBC games on the Switch. Seems like such an obvious way to celebrate the anniversary.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I give little shits about GB or GBC. Probably won't even bother with it just like NES. If it was GBA that would be cool.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Pinball never got on NSO? How have the just not added that one in? Same with Urban Champion.

The Superscope games would be amazing to see but I don't think they've EVER been rereleased, and I'm not sure if the Joy-Con would work as well as the Wiimote when it comes to light gun games.

Mainline Pokémon won't come to the service because they can sell it solo with Bank access. I'd love to see Pinball, Puzzle Challenge, and TCG though!

Any chance we could end up with Super Game Boy as a result?

That'd be the dream! That and the GBC color modes.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Give us all of the Pokemon games. ALL OF THEM.

Nintendo wants to kill ROM sites. They seem to fail to understand that if they released masses of games like Pokemon titles etc on Switch, there would likely be vastly less ROM pirating. It's just like how Blizzard killed gold selling in WoW - they started selling t themselves in the form of tokens.

The amount of effort Nintendo go to with legal action etc to try and shut down ROM sites etc is silly when they could just whack their own emulator onto the Switch and let people pay them money to play these beloved titles.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned it in another thread, but with a little critical thinking, why would RBY (or even FrLg) be added when Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee continues to be sold at full price and already has Pokemon Home connectivity integrated?

Hell if anything that should point to more reasons why GSC won't show up when Game Freak can just pump out Let's Go Marill/Togepi in late 2022/early 2023

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would this be a decent begining to the service?

-SML 1
-SML 2
-WL 1
-DK94
-KDL 1
-Metroid 2
-Kid Icarus 2
-Mole Mania
-Gradius GB 1
-Gargoyles Quest

-SMBDeluxe
-Oracle of Ages
-Oracle of Seasons
-Pokemon Pinball
-Pokemon TCG
-MMXtreme
-MGS Ghost Babel
-Robopon (either ver)
-Revilations The Demon Slayer
-Xtreme Sports (Is this coming to eShop? I forget)

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned it in another thread, but with a little critical thinking, why would RBY (or even FrLg) be added when Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee continues to be sold at full price and already has Pokemon Home connectivity integrated?

Hell if anything that should point to more reasons why GSC won't show up when Game Freak can just pump out Let's Go Marill/Togepi in late 2022/early 2023
RBY are slow and archaic compared to Let's Go, they're very different games. I don't think having them available would really deter someone from getting Let's Go if they were considering it.
If anything, putting twenty minutes into RBY might convince someone they actually want the updated version instead of suffering through the originals.

It's the GBA and DS games I am doubtful will ever get digital releases in the future because they still hold up very well.
That the mainline GBA and DS pokemon games didn't get released on the Wii U eshop but the side games did speaks volumes.

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
I hope it's true and I hope the systems are fully featured like you would find on a typical gameboy emulator. I want to play the SGB enhanced version of DK' 94 on my Switch!

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Would this be a decent begining to the service?

-SML 1
-SML 2
-WL 1
-DK94
-KDL 1
-Metroid 2
-Kid Icarus 2
-Mole Mania
-Gradius GB 1
-Gargoyles Quest

-SMBDeluxe
-Oracle of Ages
-Oracle of Seasons
-Pokemon Pinball
-Pokemon TCG
-MMXtreme
-MGS Ghost Babel
-Robopon (either ver)
-Revilations The Demon Slayer
-Xtreme Sports (Is this coming to eShop? I forget)

MGS Ghost Babel would make the it worthy... but I doubt it.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind Xbox Live and PSN both give you free current gen games every month.
We're gonna hit 5 years in with no way to play N64 games on this device

This service is atrocious

If you want to play more than a handful of classic games on a device with a Switch style form factor might as well preorder a Steam Deck.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
RBY are slow and archaic compared to Let's Go, they're very different games. I don't think having them available would really deter someone from getting Let's Go if they were considering it.
If anything, putting twenty minutes into RBY might convince someone they actually want the updated version instead of suffering through the originals.
Heck you could play Blue/Red on the same system they were selling Leaf Green/Fire Red.
That never stopped them before.

I don't see much of a point of including Pokemon games in the NSO sub when the market is probably better for everyone involved to sell them apiece.

MGS Ghost Babel would make the it worthy... but I doubt it.
Is there Metal Gear NES on NSO?
Then you have your answer.

bingy

Jun 24, 2021
This would be great! Especially with color and image filters and Super Game Boy features. Those are probably a pipe dream but they'd be great additions!

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Heck you could play Blue/Red on the same system they were selling Leaf Green/Fire Red.
That never stopped them before.

I don't see much of a point of including Pokemon games in the NSO sub when the market is probably better for everyone involved to sell them apiece.

Is there Metal Gear NES on NSO?
Then you have your answer.

Yes but Metal Gear NES is bad and no one wants that...

But yeah... I see your point

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see the Pokemon games showing up in a subscription model, I would assume the Pokemon Company wants to sell them separately for $10 a pop. I'd like to be wrong, of course.

I wish there were an option to just outright purchase a classic game on Switch. I don't care much for the a-la-carte UI and I don't play online. If I could just have ALttP and Super Metroid as icons on my Switch home screen that I can own for $5-10 each then I'd prefer it. I guess I'm basically asking for the Virtual Console to be back in some fashion but coexist with the online model lol. And yeah I'd be miffed that my 3DS purchase of TLoZ can't be transferred over but whatever ~

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

Those are completely different games.

Also it's highly unlikely Let's Go will ever get a sequel.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
The games released on 3DS and you could transfer all of them to Pokémon Bank without issues. I don't see why it couldnt happen here again.
They did got rereleased on 3DS, but they disabled basic features on the VC emulator, as I mentioned; Because they wanted to avoid players of cheating; -So if they got these games on Switch through NSO, I'd expect the same (scenario B);

but even then, they delayed the inclusion of those games for a long time;

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I am curious on what Count is now, maybe tying in the names like how Nintendo has been tying other internal names with the first letter?

Though, that excludes the NES from this theory. Basically, if (H)iyoko is to (H)andheld AKA GB/GBC and (C)anoe is to (C)onsole AKA SNES, with the omission of Kachikachi for NES, then (C)ount could perhaps not be a handheld, but one of their home console. And that likely is the N64. Even if I wanted the GC games, likely on their next system to have enough of the grunt for it to work pretty well with emulation.

Even then, likely not anytime soon.

Again, assuming that NES/Kachikachi is excluded from this. Though it depends if you consider the K sound for console as a good enough of a reach lol

What does kachikachi mean?
The GCN emulator developed for 3D All-Stars is called Hagi, which kinda blows this up.
It's a good question. I'm pretty confident emulating 4 GBCs at once is possible, but 4 GBAs is a much taller order. I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but it's hard to say one way or another, especially without knowing how many CPU cores the Wii U GBA emulator uses. It could be that 4 player GBA multiplayer is a feature that will be exclusive to an upcoming, more powerful model.

Fortunately, the GBA wireless adapter will mitigate things somewhat, and everything from DS forward should be trivial, since it's all wireless, though. The only configurations more troublesome than 4 GBAs would be ones involving the GBA-GCN Link Cable. Adding a GameCube to the mix would almost certainly be too much for the Switch.
Agreed - I don't expect GCN to be on the current Switch in any capacity, let alone in a scenario that requires tight communication timing like that (even Dolphin is still figuring this out with mGBA). I think Sunshine is as far as Hagi goes with the hardware we have now.

I'm confused - was there ever an expectation that GBA would come at the same time as GB/C? I don't think there's any precedence for that. They're two different consoles (like NES > SNES), so it'd make sense to get GB/C first.

I'm very excited. Hoping for the below:
Link's Awakening DX
Oracle games
Kirby's Dream Land 1 & 2
Kirby's Pinball
Mario Land 1-3
Pokemon games
Pokemon Pinball
DK94
Metroid 2
Mole Mania

Non-Nintendo games like Shantae and Bonk.
I'm not sure where the expectation came from either, but I think skipping last year hurt a lot. People were expecting to have GBA or N64 by this time, not finally getting GB/GBC.

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
and so forth, despair ensues.
Count still exists, of course. It's just a question as to which platform. I imagine GBA and N64 are both planned eventually, it's just a matter of which is first (god forbid Nintendo gives us both at once 🙄).

I don't recall hearing about Count when 3D All-Stars released and the emulators were being discussed - in fact, I don't think the 64's emulator name was found at all. Do with that what you will.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Count still exists, of course. It's just a question as to which platform. I imagine GBA and N64 are both planned eventually, it's just a matter of which is first (god forbid Nintendo gives us both at once 🙄).

I don't recall hearing about Count when 3D All-Stars released and the emulators were being discussed - in fact, I don't think the 64's emulator name was found at all. Do with that what you will.
As I said before, unless there's some pretty strong evidence otherwise, it's very likely that "Count" is just a C++ idiom for getting the number of items in an enum.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
As I said before, unless there's some pretty strong evidence otherwise, it's very likely that "Count" is just a C++ idiom for getting the number of items in an enum.
I don't think that's something that would slip by OatmealDome, but I'll entertain the idea I suppose. It is strange that we have four Japanese words for the emulators and Count, I'll give you that.

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord are they ever incompetent with their Online retro offering. Just spend some money to get a team working hard on releasing retro games from all old consoles. What is this slow trickle non-sense for only a small set of hardware...man it's pissing me off.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
If the service laucnhes with pokemon im pretty sure that would be literally over half the use of the GB switch online stuff.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how this is a thread about the potential of good news and people still find ways to be negative. Just shows that they can never please everyone.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's something that would slip by OatmealDome, but I'll entertain the idea I suppose. It is strange that we have four Japanese words for the emulators and Count, I'll give you that.
Not sure how obvious it would be from a reverse engineering perspective. It and C++ aren't really my area of expertise, but I do know that adding a "count" to the end of enums in that language is definitely a thing that's done.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Pinball will probably be there but I highly doubt any of the mainline games will get in. I'd say it's unlikely Link's Awakening gets included either

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Pinball will probably be there but I highly doubt any of the mainline games will get in. I'd say it's unlikely Link's Awakening gets included either
That's actually like, the one Game Boy Pokémon spin-off that hasn't been rereleased ever. I don't think there's any particular reason to think it's unlikely though, especially now that emulating rumble shouldn't be an issue.

Jun 24, 2021
Eh Metroid II game boy isn't a good game to sell people on the Metroid franchise. It's fun novelty now but the game is confusing. The remake and the fan game definitely made it actually playable.
Of course I agree with you but I dont see Nintendo making AM2R or Samus Returns available on the Switch anytime soon so I'll make do with OG Metroid 2 which I've never played.

And thats the story with Nintendo and being able to play their legacy games, isnt it? Us having to compromise and settle with the crumbs we're given. /sigh

Jun 24, 2021
You're missing the best official Nintendo emulation platform.

Seriously.
Isn't that sad? That the best Nintendo console to play their best old games with the widest selection to choose from is also their worst selling failure of all time (this side of the VB)?

I get they cant give us all these games for "free" on a $20 a year subscription but at least let us buy them individually to play on Switch. The only way to combat piracy is to make the legal way more convenient and Nintendo doesnt seem to understand that.

Jun 24, 2021
I'm expecting the absolute bare minimum. No shot they throw Pokemon on there.
You will get early ass first generation Game Boy games with zero options to colorize them like on the Super GB and you'll like it! You'll get Super Mario Land 1, Baseball, Tennis, and Alleyway and you better be grateful! I'm holding for Metroid 2 only because of Dread hype but thats as far as my ambitions go.

Tetris, I hear you say? Yeah right!

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
Amazing how this is a thread about the potential of good news and people still find ways to be negative. Just shows that they can never please everyone.
It's because of the way it's done. Gameboy and Gameboy color games coming to NSO? Awesome!

Most of the games people would want (Pokemon) probably won't be on it? Terrible.
For whatever reason GBA games aren't included due to potential remakes on some titles? Terrible.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'll just install mGBA tbh
the way the VC was mishandled I'll never be excited again to buy those roms for the fourth time

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
GB/GBC has some amazing games, like the brilliant Wario Land series. 2 and 3 alone will make this worth it.

But we'll probably be lucky to get ONE Wario Land game in the inital bunch..

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You're absolutely deluded if you think NSO is successful because of the NES/SNES apps, and not because it's literally the only way to play online for Switch (except free-to-play and other games at the developer's/publisher's discretion). In fact, the increases in subscriptions often correlated to major game releases (the initial spike in 2018 bc of the end of free trial, Smash Ultimate, Animal Crossing and so on).

I'm calling the Netflix-style a failure based on these arguments which are not opinion based:

1) The belief that a Netflix-style was somehow going to lead to more content and less dripfeeding. This was the main idea of why people kept saying to retire the Virtual Console. Lo and behold, we still see dripfeeding and somehow people are surprised by this. Like what were you expecting? Third parties are incentivized now to release their own collections which hurts the effectiveness of these subscription services. Although Nintendo hasn't really shown a willingness to invest.

2) These people were also saying that more platforms would've been added to this service instead of what we had on virtual console. It's been almost 5 years now and we've only seen NES and SNES. Virtual Console in Nintendo consoles went from Master System all the way to N64. Not to mention the complexity of doing emulation over streaming. A lot of people didn't consider this.
... You know that NSO doesn't use streaming, right?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's not why. GB/GBC are just one system and it's obvious Nintendo is only going to do about a system at a time.
GameBoy and GameBoy Color were actually two different systems, with GameBoy Color being the successor to the original GameBoy. It also had exclusive games that didn't ever come to the original GameBoy. It was effectively a new gen.

That's actually a big reason why I don't believe this is happening. There is absolutely no way Nintendo is launching two different platforms at the same time on NSO, this just isn't gonna happen, Imo. I personally think they're sticking with NES and SNES for the forseeable future, and if we're lucky, we'll get OG GameBoy games on Switch 2, a few years into it's lifecycle, and that's a big IF. For whatever reason, they don't value their classic library like they used to, the Switch has made that abundantly clear to me.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
GameBoy and GameBoy Color were actually two different systems, with GameBoy Color being the successor to the original GameBoy. It also had exclusive games that didn't ever come to the original GameBoy. It was effectively a new gen.

Nintendo considers the GameBoy Color as the same generation as the GameBoy. They always combine the sales numbers, game sales are combined, etc. It's essentially the same as the DSi and New 3DS.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nintendo considers the GameBoy Color as the same generation as the GameBoy. They always combine the sales numbers, game sales are combined, etc. It's essentially the same as the DSi and New 3DS.
If that's the case, why did they make games exclusively for the GameBoy Color? Got a link for Nintendo considering them the same gen? It's the first I've ever heard of it.