• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Wait wasn't it Emily Rogers who said back in 2017/2018 that the port of Trilogy is basically done and waiting to be used as marketing for MP4? Like how credible really is she?

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually comment on these things, but given there's been a lot of irresponsible reporting around this project that's led to a lot of misconceptions and (imo) undeserved negativity, I want to clear up a couple of things here. As the cat's out of the bag now and Emily has already broken the news, I figure it can't do anything but help. First off though, I don't know whether or not this is being announced in the direct today. I was expecting it to be announced in the E3 direct, but when they announced Dread instead I assumed they were going to hold off on this announcement until after Dread released. So I'd be surprised if they talk about it today, but if they do then that's great because I've been waiting for this to be announced for years now.

Just so people understand what this is and what it isn't, I just want to clear up the history here so people can make accurate judgments about this project and whether it's worth their money. To start, most every rumor that's supposedly leaked about Retro the last several years has been complete bullshit. The stuff about them doing Star Fox Grand Prix and Labo stuff was complete bullshit. The only thing that was accurate was the rumor about the project they'd been working on since Tropical Freeze released was canceled. That was true.

After that, Nintendo had them start working on this project. It was designed from the beginning as a full asset remake of the original Metroid Prime Trilogy. They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection. So this was never at any point a simple remaster of any of the games. They were always planned to be full remakes.

But it was only the art that was being rebuilt so that left their design staff with nothing to do. At the time, NOJ was having issues with Namco's work on Prime 4. Particularly the level design. So they started having the Retro design staff start helping with the level design on Prime 4. Meanwhile, art and programming staff were working on the MP1 Remake. After seeing the quality of Retro's level design work on Prime 4 and the quality of their art for the remake, NOJ decided, "Why are we not just having Retro do Prime 4 altogether?" So that was the point where they cancelled things with Namco and made the announcement they were rebooting things with Retro and put them back together with Tanabe.

So I think it was a few months after this or somewhere around then where the rumors about a MP trilogy first came out. I believe Imran Khan was first to "scoop it." However, what he reported was largely bullshit. He said the full trilogy was finished as a remaster and was just sitting around waiting to be released. Also, that Retro had secretly put a demo together to scoop MP4 from Namco. That was completely untrue. That is not how things work in this industry and definitely not how the relationship between Retro and NOJ works. This is not Spangleberg-era Retro where they're just secretly working on their own projects supposedly to steal projects from other studios. I feel like that was really irresponsible for Imran to claim that as that's a really bad look for Retro and is the kind of thing that creates bad blood. Retro are good guys and classier than that.

I privately messaged Imran back in early 2019 that his reporting was largely wrong. This was not a simple remaster. Work had not yet even begun on the later two games and this first game wouldn't be ready for some time. Also, that his statements about Retro sniping Prime 4 from Namco was completely untrue. It had been NOJ's decision and they were just following orders. Imran stopped responding to me as I guess rather than do his due diligence to correct any bad reporting he'd rather just let those bad rumors fly and soak up his fifteen minutes of fame. So instead these rumors about a Prime Trilogy being finished and waiting in the wings just kept circulating and getting reported by more people.

Before Retro got Prime 4 back they'd been planning for them to redo the whole trilogy. Obviously that was not going to be possible with them now doing Prime 4. So the new plan became for them to just finish up the first game, then Nintendo would contract out the work for the subsequent games to be redone by other studios with the Prime 1 remake serving to establish the visual bar and style for other studios to emulate. I don't know whether this is still the plan or if that work has even begun. I'm sort of doubtful. They've just barely finished up the work on Prime 1 just a few weeks ago. So this is definitely not something Nintendo has been sitting on for years and releasing them individually to nickel and dime everybody.

Retro has put a lot of work in to this project. They've seriously been working on it for years. I hope that can be appreciated. This is not one of Nintendo's usual quick minimalist re-release cash grabs. I think this is the kind of thing we want to see from them and should reward. That's why it irritates me that all this irresponsible reporting from years past is casting a negative shadow over it with people being led to believe Nintendo is just trying to take advantage of the fan base. Yes, that has happened from time to time, but this is not one of those cases. I don't know what the price point would ultimately be, but given the amount of work put into it I would fully expect it to be full price. Again, there's not any new added content to my knowledge but all the art assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up a la Shadow of the Colossus/Demon's Souls remake. I have not seen the game running so I can't comment on the finished quality of the art remake, but I have heard it's impressive for what it's worth. So hopefully that clarifies the situation here.
Thanks for this post! After watching that Mike Wikan interview this sounds much more believable then the rumors that have popped up over the years. Really looking forward to this and MP4.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I don't usually comment on these things, but given there's been a lot of irresponsible reporting around this project that's led to a lot of misconceptions and (imo) undeserved negativity, I want to clear up a couple of things here. As the cat's out of the bag now and Emily has already broken the news, I figure it can't do anything but help. First off though, I don't know whether or not this is being announced in the direct today. I was expecting it to be announced in the E3 direct, but when they announced Dread instead I assumed they were going to hold off on this announcement until after Dread released. So I'd be surprised if they talk about it today, but if they do then that's great because I've been waiting for this to be announced for years now.

Just so people understand what this is and what it isn't, I just want to clear up the history here so people can make accurate judgments about this project and whether it's worth their money. To start, most every rumor that's supposedly leaked about Retro the last several years has been complete bullshit. The stuff about them doing Star Fox Grand Prix and Labo stuff was complete bullshit. The only thing that was accurate was the rumor about the project they'd been working on since Tropical Freeze released was canceled. That was true.

After that, Nintendo had them start working on this project. It was designed from the beginning as a full asset remake of the original Metroid Prime Trilogy. They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection. So this was never at any point a simple remaster of any of the games. They were always planned to be full remakes.

But it was only the art that was being rebuilt so that left their design staff with nothing to do. At the time, NOJ was having issues with Namco's work on Prime 4. Particularly the level design. So they started having the Retro design staff start helping with the level design on Prime 4. Meanwhile, art and programming staff were working on the MP1 Remake. After seeing the quality of Retro's level design work on Prime 4 and the quality of their art for the remake, NOJ decided, "Why are we not just having Retro do Prime 4 altogether?" So that was the point where they cancelled things with Namco and made the announcement they were rebooting things with Retro and put them back together with Tanabe.

So I think it was a few months after this or somewhere around then where the rumors about a MP trilogy first came out. I believe Imran Khan was first to "scoop it." However, what he reported was largely bullshit. He said the full trilogy was finished as a remaster and was just sitting around waiting to be released. Also, that Retro had secretly put a demo together to scoop MP4 from Namco. That was completely untrue. That is not how things work in this industry and definitely not how the relationship between Retro and NOJ works. This is not Spangleberg-era Retro where they're just secretly working on their own projects supposedly to steal projects from other studios. I feel like that was really irresponsible for Imran to claim that as that's a really bad look for Retro and is the kind of thing that creates bad blood. Retro are good guys and classier than that.

I privately messaged Imran back in early 2019 that his reporting was largely wrong. This was not a simple remaster. Work had not yet even begun on the later two games and this first game wouldn't be ready for some time. Also, that his statements about Retro sniping Prime 4 from Namco was completely untrue. It had been NOJ's decision and they were just following orders. Imran stopped responding to me as I guess rather than do his due diligence to correct any bad reporting he'd rather just let those bad rumors fly and soak up his fifteen minutes of fame. So instead these rumors about a Prime Trilogy being finished and waiting in the wings just kept circulating and getting reported by more people.

Before Retro got Prime 4 back they'd been planning for them to redo the whole trilogy. Obviously that was not going to be possible with them now doing Prime 4. So the new plan became for them to just finish up the first game, then Nintendo would contract out the work for the subsequent games to be redone by other studios with the Prime 1 remake serving to establish the visual bar and style for other studios to emulate. I don't know whether this is still the plan or if that work has even begun. I'm sort of doubtful. They've just barely finished up the work on Prime 1 just a few weeks ago. So this is definitely not something Nintendo has been sitting on for years and releasing them individually to nickel and dime everybody.

Retro has put a lot of work in to this project. They've seriously been working on it for years. I hope that can be appreciated. This is not one of Nintendo's usual quick minimalist re-release cash grabs. I think this is the kind of thing we want to see from them and should reward. That's why it irritates me that all this irresponsible reporting from years past is casting a negative shadow over it with people being led to believe Nintendo is just trying to take advantage of the fan base. Yes, that has happened from time to time, but this is not one of those cases. I don't know what the price point would ultimately be, but given the amount of work put into it I would fully expect it to be full price. Again, there's not any new added content to my knowledge but all the art assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up a la Shadow of the Colossus/Demon's Souls remake. I have not seen the game running so I can't comment on the finished quality of the art remake, but I have heard it's impressive for what it's worth. So hopefully that clarifies the situation here.
Holy Moley. Thank you for the information but now I'm even more conflicted on what to believe about MPT HD. At least if this is true I'm more inclined to be excited for these supposed split releases.

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Well, all I will say is that if all this is accurate, I would be very, very happy with this, and would be willing to buy each of the three games individually if they are given the sort of care and graphical overhauls you are suggesting.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This actually sound pretty believable. Thanks for sharing.

And as though I probably would still prefer a simple Prime Trilogy Remaster for $60, I'm looking forward to see what they did in this remake.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Prime 1 is the one that really really should be done, it'd be a weird situation of it was only 2 and/or 3. If it does well let's hope at least 2 gets a remaster as well.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

I want to believe!

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm not holding out much hope for Metroid Prime Trilogy. I feel like Metroid Prime 1 Remake would have equivalent sales for much lower development costs. Would anybody interested in MPT turn down MP1 if it was released as a standalone remake?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you know if they're still 1:1 gameplay recreations just with new graphics?

'Cause I can vibe with that I suppose.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Do you know if they're still 1:1 gameplay recreations just with new graphics?

'Cause I can vibe with that I suppose.
From their post:
They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection.

Oct 25, 2017
the comments from both nate and belmont make me think perhaps this is a sort of halo 1/2 anniversary situation where the whole new graphics are being built on top of the original game rather than a full ground-up remake
which is fine MP1 is already great

doing each game individually also likely means they're based upon new ports which would be nice since the first wii trilogy screwed some things up in mp1 and I'd hoped those wouldn't get carried forward
bring back the proper phazon suit cutscene

Last edited:

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
the comments from both nate and belmont make me think perhaps this is a sort of halo anniversary situation where the whole new graphics are being built on top of the original game rather than a full ground-up remake
It's better than fine, the art direction of the prime trilogy is perfect, keep it consistent

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that anyone can look at Metroid Prime and think "damn these graphics are bad" fills me with a terrible and primal fear.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, Samus's terrible looking face at the end is the one and only flaw in the game
77e.jpg

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019

This is such useful background information, wow. Thanks for sharing.

So the idea then is that, because each of these projects have taken and will continue to take so much effort, it's very likely that we get individual re-releases separated probably by at least a couple years each, right? Assuming that this plan of progressively remaking the entire trilogy is still set in motion.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Metroid Prime 2 needs the remaster more just so that we can skip the dark world portal transition animations.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

So this was posted yesterday at 5 PM and account isn't banned yet... Have mods contacted them?

This sounds plausible in general concept, but the shade throwing (regardless of whether or not it is deserved) keeps me skeptical of just taking their word for it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
So this was posted yesterday at 5 PM and account isn't banned yet... Have mods contacted them?

This sounds plausible in general concept, but the shade throwing (regardless of whether or not it is deserved) keeps me skeptical of just taking their word for it.
did they decline to be verified?

Shade at other journalists aside his story sounds way more plausible than the MP trilogy is done and Retro stole MP4 from Namco theories and is corroborated by Nates comments around MPT specifically

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
did they decline to be verified?

Shade at other journalists aside his story sounds way more plausible than the MP trilogy is done and Retro stole MP4 from Namco theories and is corroborated by Nates comments around MPT specifically

No idea, as far as I can tell no mods have chimed in on this yet, which is odd.

As I said, it sounds plausible, but I've seen lots of plausible fan theories passed off as insider knowledge over the years.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I think they will do a wii lineup like n64 and genesis and rerelease the wiimote now. Then the trilogy won't have any controller concern...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

whoa. So this is what Retro was doing after TF?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Belmont

I would get verified with nods that you are in a position to know something than risk your account and get banned. You can't drop in here with no history and post stuff like that as gospel. If that where allowed, we would be full of 4chan like rumors and burner accounts

I personally think it's fine since the intent is to defuse a misunderstanding. Would only be a problem if Belmont was clout-chasing.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Imran could easily prove if this was true since Belmont mentions contacting him back in 2019. That would validate his story.

In any case, it does sound believable that Retro went from remastering the Trilogy to a full-blown remake of Prime + 4. Them making a demo to show Namco off sounds oddly uncharacteristic and unbelievable in modern gaming, especially considering Retro is rather small by gaming studio standards. They wouldn't be wasting time on a demo meant to compete with another ongoing project.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much prefer a Remake of MP1 than any trilogy remaster - it's the only game of the three I'd consider replaying. And it would be doubly cool if Retro was behind it, and explain both the long gap in releases + them being officially tapped for MP4.

That said, rumors are getting kind of tiring. I'll stick with being excited about Dread and MP4 for now.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Imran could easily prove if this was true since Belmont mentions contacting him back in 2019. That would validate his story.

In any case, it does sound believable that Retro went from remastering the Trilogy to a full-blown remake of Prime + 4. Them making a demo to show Namco off sounds oddly uncharacteristic and unbelievable in modern gaming, especially considering Retro is rather small by gaming studio standards. They wouldn't be wasting time on a demo meant to compete with another ongoing project.
According to the post he called him out on it in 2019 and Imran never said a word. Why would he bother to confirm anything now? Lol

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
That was a rando on this forum that posted one or two things they said they heard at a bar in Austin (or some similar situation), and people decided to buy it and a few outlets wrote articles on it.
I mean if you can't trust what you hear at a bar in Austin...

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't the rumor some music RPG? I could be making that up.
Huh. I hadn't heard that. That sounds like it could have been cool.

I know there was the leaked concept art of the male Sheikah post apocalyptic-ish Zelda spinoff and the other one with the Boo concept art.

But I'm not sure the timeframe on that, when exactly those were being shopped around, and I don't think they got that far along that they were ever actually in development so that they could be cancelled.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah I just wanted to personally thank Belmont for the information he provided. The Metroid Prime trilogy situation has always been a weird one and I too believed that Nintendo was likely sitting on a finished copy of the trilogy in HD and just wasn't releasing them for reasons unknown. It's sometimes easy to succumb to false Nintendo rumors/misinformation. Belmont's update provided much clarity around this and it's very much appreciated.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
There was definitely some sort of project finished at Retro this month.

That role is pretty telling, but there were a lot of other contract staff finishing up their work this month too.

Status
Not open for further replies.