• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuFrontier

Apr 19, 2020
I think it's odd that anyone can endorse not forgiving an honest mistake from a customer who ultimately wants to give you money

There is no benefit for the customer to making this mistake, and even if they're at fault for not reading it properly, to punish them for that by lumping them with a DLC they can't play, and leaving them out of pocket, is still really shitty

The whole point of refunds for anything is to prevent people from buying something they don't want or need

Yeah I totally get what you're saying 100% Oni, and I don't disagree. We should, indeed as customers, have the option to be reimbursed on a product whether the situation was intended or not. I was simply just trying to say that, instead of throwing negativity towards the company, just be more constructive in the approach. By being less harsh in the intent, maybe Nintendo will start listening at some point. But to just throw anger and harsh words at them doesn't really help sadly.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Has anyone actually called customer support, or is everyone just going by what Nintendo Soup said?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is amazing to me that people continously defend Nintendo when they constantly make decisions like this.

I've come to realise there is a defence force for absolutely everything video game related

If a video game company did a puppy kicking event to celebrate a new game there would be people on Era posting like "Ok so hear me out..."

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Nintendo Soup is just a bad website and the other site put up a poorly researched article citing them.

That probably wouldn't be popular with families that have multiple children because they wouldn't be able to play with each other if it was just different save files on the same game. I'm pretty sure families can already do that though by making another profile on the Switch though.
If they have the disk version but not the digital version.
Also why wouldn't that be popular it'd be a literal
optional thing that wouldn't prevent parents from buying a copy for each kid

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb, and poorly (barely) though trough by fans (like yourself I assume). This does not explain the need for two versions of the same game. You can buy two copies of a game for two people. You don't need two versions for that.
I'm not much of a fan, I just don't think the two versions gimmick is the scumbag move people are making it out to be

it's an outdated tradition at worst

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not much of a fan, I just don't think the two versions gimmick is the scumbag move people are making it out to be

it's an outdated tradition at worst
It's a bad tradition that cannot be defended. Any defense I've seen makes no sense, and it gets even worse when you see dlc and expansions getting split aswell. It makes this "two versions for two kids" shit incredibly stupid. Like, do people really believe this?

CoD Modern Warfare exists. I'm sure people buy 2 or even 3 copies of the game for themselves, family members, and friends. Having kids or friends doesn't justify the creation of "Modern Warfare: Blue" and "Modern Warfare: Red" or whatever.

The two versions of the same game exist to get hardcore fans to buy the game twice. People need to stop being willfully dumb and acknowledge greedy business practices.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Why, in the first place is it possible to buy DLC for a game you don't own ?
Is it for legal reason ?
Because there is no way to really check what games you own? Unless Nintendo goes fully digital or locks all dlc purchases to be purchased through the game application. Every platform has this issue.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If they have the disk version but not the digital version.
Also why wouldn't that be popular it'd be a literal
optional thing that wouldn't prevent parents from buying a copy for each kid
It would be a popular feature in general, but in the scenario you described kids would more than likely want their own game in order to play against or with each other.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I totally get what you're saying 100% Oni, and I don't disagree. We should, indeed as customers, have the option to be reimbursed on a product whether the situation was intended or not. I was simply just trying to say that, instead of throwing negativity towards the company, just be more constructive in the approach. By being less harsh in the intent, maybe Nintendo will start listening at some point. But to just throw anger and harsh words at them doesn't really help sadly.

I don't think Nintendo or any company make choices based on how nice or mean people are to them, they're not people with feelings, they're just companies

That said, getting bad PR does often cause companies to make changes. Sony were completely chewed out over cross play not being allowed, and then they caved after everyone said it was shitty of them

Nintendo probably don't want to spend money and time making refunds work in the eShop so it's easier to just not allow them. People kicking up a fuss and maybe getting the law to look at this is what will encourage them to act. Tweeting them nicely to change it will probably be ignored

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
nowhere in the tweet does it say that refunds will not be given out so what the fuck are you all on about? and the linked article uses fucking nintendo soup (aren't they banned here lmao) as a source which doesn't even properly translate the tweets

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Why is the DLC split for the two versions?

Also because I've never gotten an answer for this, why is the base game Region Free like the console itself, but the DLC is region specific? What point in that, that seems like it could screw people over who move (maybe not now but after the pandemic)?

And yes this is screwy and one of the big big dangers we allow companies to have if we don't care about customer protections and ownership laws, the sad thing is as Germany proved, most courts will side with companies if we don't fight to stop BS like this.

The DLC is not region specific, it's region free like the game is.

I'm using the North American DLC with Japanese cartridges.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not a system limitation, if the eShop has any sort of pack that can give you two or more games in one purchase then could give you both licensees. If there was some sort of weird dependency then you wouldn't be able to buy it without the game.
I mean a dependency on the system level, not the eShop level.
As in, within the Switch OS, each game is stored as one record, and the DLCs exist as sub-records for that game. They're not independent items, so they can only exist as sub-records for a particular game.
Or alternatively, each DLC contains a single game ID and you can't have multiple game IDs because the DLC "container" wasn't designed that way.

I see what you mean about bundling though: you make a single DLC purchase in the eShop and the actual delivery is two licences, one for each game.
It's a nice idea, but I assume in this case Pokémon want to maximise the profit for people who bought both games.

The DLC is not region specific, it's region free like the game is.

I'm using the North American DLC with Japanese cartridges.
It's region-specific for digital versions of the game. I have a JP copy of Shield, and the game doesn't recognise Shield DLC bought from the EU eShop.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There really shouldn't be two versions of the same game in 2020. They could easily have people pick a route or have the game rng which Pokemon show up.

NuFrontier

Apr 19, 2020
I don't think Nintendo or any company make choices based on how nice or mean people are to them, they're not people with feelings, they're just companies

That said, getting bad PR does often cause companies to make changes. Sony were completed chewed out over cross play not being allowed, and then they caved after everyone said it was shitty of them

Nintendo probably don't want to spend money and time making refunds work in the eShop so it's easier to just not allow them. People kicking up a fuss and maybe getting the law to look at this is what will encourage them to act. Tweeting them nicely to change it will probably be ignored

It's not about being nice, but rather, learning to redirect the anger into a more constructive and justified response. Nintendo or any other company as you've stated will likely not reply to things like "F&%k you and your bulls%%t, blah blah" just as much as someone saying "hi, I'm a fan, I like you and pretty please give me a chance" trying to be nice (I'm exaggerating here).

What fans should do, just like you said, is come together and voice their reasoning but to do so not by yelling and screaming, but to be angry yet concise in the statements made towards them (hence why Sony smartened up).

Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but swearing and throwing tantrums never solved anything either, as someone who currently works with these major companies.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is really stupid if true, I was scared to buy a card for this DLC because of this very reason, it doesn't specify which version it's for.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The two versions of the same game exist to get hardcore fans to buy the game twice. People need to stop being willfully dumb and acknowledge greedy business practices.
What a sad, lonely little world you must live in.

No, the main reason two versions exist because they think it's more likely to get friends to purchase different versions and talk about the game between them, generating word of mouth of the product, not for the tiny fraction of people who will buy the same game twice.

The main benefit to gamefreak is that word of mouth, which I would presume helps keep sales up.

Yeah this is really stupid if true, I was scared to buy a card for this DLC because of this very reason, it doesn't specify which version it's for.
The DLC codes on cards let you choose which version you want when you register the code at the eshop.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Wait it's not one dlc? Lmao

Edit: actually it seems they actually tell you specifically that this expansion pass is for sword while the other is for shield? You can't Really blame Nintendo then. People should be on the lookout before buying

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Because there is no way to really check what games you own? Unless Nintendo goes fully digital or locks all dlc purchases to be purchased through the game application. Every platform has this issue.
Every Switch has a record of what games have been played on it. It shouldn't be too hard to implement barriers to accidental purchase (while admittedly making purchasing the DLC on a console that hasn't played the game harder).

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Stupid considering how unclear the DLC is listed in the eshop page.

I almost bought the DLC when I thought I already pre-ordered and saw the listing for the DLC just a few days ago. It took minutes inspecting the page to even tell which version it was for.

Unclear? Pokémon sword and Pokémon and Pokémon shield. Unsure how clear it could be. the game also links directly to it

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Every Switch has a record of what games have been played on it. It shouldn't be too hard to implement barriers to accidental purchase (while admittedly making purchasing the DLC on a console that hasn't played the game harder).

Yeah this is what I don't get

Even a pop up message when you try and buy it would help

"There is no record of this game on your Switch, It will not work unless you also purchase the base game. Are you sure you want to buy this DLC?"

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Just cause you played it doesn't mean you own it, Demos/Trials for example. While this isn't an issue on Switch(right now) Microsoft/Sony/Steam have multiple ways to play games without owning like Plus/Gamepass/free play days etc.
This hasn't really been a major issue for any other platforms either from lack of Pokemon or better refund policies.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
In this situation Nintendo does not even need to do a refund just convert the purchase to the correct dlc version.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty dumb, customer services usually are lenient about reverting a purchase at least for North America so I hope they turn a blind eye.

Stupid considering how unclear the DLC is listed in the eshop page.

I almost bought the DLC when I thought I already pre-ordered and saw the listing for the DLC just a few days ago. It took minutes inspecting the page to even tell which version it was for.

It's very clear which DLC goes for which. For the Pokemon Sword version it literally just looks like this:

image0.jpg

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It's region-specific for digital versions of the game. I have a JP copy of Shield, and the game doesn't recognise Shield DLC bought from the EU eShop.
That's simply not true. Pokémon Sword / Shield has the same title ID across every region, there's 0 difference between regions for this game.

So you're either just plain lying, or you purchased the DLC from a secondary account and are trying to play it with another account.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I mean, it's very clear which one you need to purchase. It says it very clearly on the eShop screen... but still, kinda shitty that they won't refund it if you make a mistake.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Hell in Australia some stores just let you have a refund for change of mind. Digital purchases should have the same rights as physical. Nintendo are so far behind this particular curve it's not even funny

There's a law called something like code for consumer protection in Brazil which rules that you have a right to regret buying something online and may ask for a refund up to 7 days after you received it (as long as you didn't have the opportunity to try it before buying).

I don't know about Microsoft, and Nintendo barely has a presence around here, but Sony doesn't comply with it. In any case if you ask them for a refund and don't receive it you can sue them. There's a debate wether it should apply in this case but I know at least one person that won against Sony on a case and Sony had to not only refund the game but also pay 10x more in damages.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You probably have to call. I bought Sword with eShop credit instead of using one my Nintendo Switch Online passes like a dummy and had to call and they took care of it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally fine with the two versions thing because it's really only weird nerds who think they're supposed to get both versions, but I don't know why the DLC specifically would be dependent on the version. This issue wouldn't even come up if there was no confusion regarding the DLC.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why, in the first place is it possible to buy DLC for a game you don't own ?
Is it for legal reason ?

It's so you can buy DLC for retail games on cart / disc which are not entitlement based like digital games are.
Xbox and PSN works the same way.

Steam and other digital PC platforms (Origin, UPlay, EGS(?) ), don't. But they are different in that they are entirely entitlement based and don't interact with physical copies of games.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally fine with the two versions thing because it's really only weird nerds who think they're supposed to get both versions, but I don't know why the DLC specifically would be dependent on the version. This issue wouldn't even come up if there was no confusion regarding the DLC.

Likely because a distinction prevents you from just getting the expansion for the second game essentially free.

I don't know about Microsoft but both Sony and Nintendo doesn't comply with it. If you ask them for a refund and don't receive it you can sue them. There's a debate wether it should apply in this case but I know at least one person that won against Sony on a case and Sony had to not only refund the game but also pay 10x more in damages.
Sony just lost a class action in Australia last week about digital refunds.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That there is even two versions and not one that autodetects Sword or Shield is messed up.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is greedy and scummy so I don't really think it's surprising. They still don't replace faulty joycons in Europe and keep selling these shitty broken products a fortune.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would probably be smart of someone to change the title to point out that there is no indication that this is true and that the story comes from a banned source.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
You probably have to call. I bought Sword with eShop credit instead of using one my Nintendo Switch Online passes like a dummy and had to call and they took care of it.

Yeah if they are able and willing to fix this mistake, I reeaaally doubt they won't change your DLC to the correct one. It sucks that it can't be done on a system basis, but that's very far from what it's being said in this thread.

CyberMonkey

Jun 20, 2019
No, the main reason two versions exist because they think it's more likely to get friends to purchase different versions and talk about the game between them, generating word of mouth of the product, not for the tiny fraction of people who will buy the same game twice.

The main benefit to gamefreak is that word of mouth, which I would presume helps keep sales up.
If that was really the main reason, why can't they put both versions on one game card? Allow the player to choose which version to play when they start up the game. Fire Emblem Three Houses had 4 different routes, which also generated a lot of discourse and encouraged people to play through the game multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.