• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Company has had the most indelible impact on people's happiness?

• Disney - the animation with timeless music, the fantasy and feel good make believe, the theme parks!

• Nintendo - the hours spent immersed in its consoles, Mario's simple fun, Zelda's magic adventure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Tricky one this and there really is no right answer only opinions. Some random thoughts to stimulate debate:

Team Nintendo:
  • If Walt Disney was alive in the 1980s and working, he would have tried to buy or copy Nintendo....being the visionary that he was and seeing this new entertainment medium as the future.
  • Films and theme parks don't deliver the same level of sustained immersion that games do...and per dollar spent videogames provide more entertainment.
  • Mario has replaced Mickey Mouse as global cartoon icon known by a global audience.
Team Disney
  • But videogames are only now starting to rival films and theme parks for communicating and generating emotional connection and storytelling that fills a deeper need in our happiness psyche....and this is not so far Nintendo's strong suit (Bowser kidnapping Peach vs Zelda' being pursued by Ganon ad infinitum)
  • Films and theme parks can be enjoyed as shared happiness by everyone while video games require a specific interest and skill level. Happiness from Disney is augmented because you can share it with all your loved ones.
  • Nothing beats the real life immersion of a theme park bringing stories to life in a wide variety of entertainment experiences. VR is not yet advanced enough to rival it.
Over to you....

UPDATE

If you think the question is:

• -how many people each company has reached
  • Which one has the bigger mass market appeal or is more universally accessible.
  • -which company has been around for longer doing what it does now
  • -which company has the bigger breadth of entertainment properties
  • How frequently people are exposed to either company 's products.
  • Which company is the bigger meanie
Then you have misread the question. The question is asking about how much happiness is generated and treasured (ie indelible) by the consumer as a result of consuming each company's products and which one's impact on a person's happiness is greater. You can either answer for yourself, pit a disney fan against a nintendo fan, consider someone who is a fan of both or consider whether interactive entertainment (that generates a sense or achievement and discovery) is more deeply enjoyable than the emotional and human connection pay off of passive story telling media (which has been around for as long as people have been communicating) or whether semi passive seminteractive entertainment of theme parks tops the lot as it literally transports you to a magical place..

Feel free to change your vote if you like...

As you were..

Last edited:

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Disney is a monopoly and people are claiming for it to be bigger just because of the damn MCU.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I personally MUCH prefer Nintendo, and for me, the answer is Nintendo. But for most? It's Disney, no contest.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
You're comparing a company that started films in the 20s to one that started gaming 60 years later.

Not even a remotely fair comparison.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
While I like Nintendo more and think they've had a more positive effect on my personal happiness, I voted Disney. Disney has been successful a lot longer, and I think they reach a much larger audience.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The one that's been around for 80+ years.

EDIT: Since people keep responding to this about Nintendo's age, I'm aware they've been around sop long. But the company in 1889 is not the same one today, whereas Disney has been consistently doing the same types of things since it's inception.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
On here most people are probably going to say Nintendo, outside of a gaming forum that swings the other way though I would think. For me, I will say Nintendo although that hasn't been the case for years as Playstation took their crown for me, but I can't deny my childhood love of the NES/SNES.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say Nintendo just because I actually don't care for pretty much any Disney property at all and think Disney needs to be stopped

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Nintendo

Mario and Pokemon are colossal; let alone Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Wii Sports

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Disney for me, many many movies and cartoons and Characters that they have made form such a big part of my childhood.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel anyone voting Nintendo is not understanding the question in the OP or is choosing to ignore it. As much as I prefer Nintendo there is no way they should have a single vote.

kappapeachie

Aug 5, 2019
I grew up with the xbox and playstation as a kid so naturally, i never got the chance to play any of nintendo's games. I've heard of them and even watch a lot of the pokemon anime, but it didn't have much of a impact to warrant much change in my happiness.

disney on the other hand was massive part of my childhood. I could remember my times waking up early in the morning to watch a lot of disney cartoons growing up. things were way different back then. for one thing disney wasn't a monopoly and legit made decent quality stuff believe it or not. they still do today but it's despite of that rather than being the main focus. but I will not deny that disney had shaped into who i am now.

which pains me to see what disney has became nowadays as company.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Disney has done a lot of damage to my happiness, so I guess they get my vote?

*edit*
Oh, happiness overall. Gotcha.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I have the impression that the video game industry isn't nearly as large as the rest of the entertainment industry. Personally though, it's Nintendo.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Disney is an evil company and far too big of a corporation with too much power and a lot of soulless output all over the place.

This entire comparison is stupid anyways. But for whatever it's worth, for those defending Disney here, I'll just say Nintendo is a much smaller company with way more charm and heart behind the smaller number of entertainment products it releases, probably much like Disney was in the days where it's founder was actually alive.

Last edited:

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Disney has been a part of the culture for decades. The theme parks, movies, music, tv shows, cruises, etc. It's common for people to live a Disney lifestyle.

Nintendo, while great, has just been video games and are only now dipping their toes in other avenues.

Oct 29, 2017
One company has a global presence in like five separate industries against the other having two.

Besides, OP doesn't specify if the impact has to be positive or negative. When was the last time Nintendo made as many people either happy or mad as The Last Jedi?

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
On a personal level its Nintendo but that's because gaming gives me more happiness than any film ever will.

I think Disney will win this poll quite comfortably though.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that 40 people (so far) have voted for Nintendo, it doesn't even make sense.