• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Mario Kart may be Nintendo's biggest franchise now. I mean if a port can be the best selling Nintendo game on the Switch just imagine what a new Mario Kart game on Switch could do.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart may be Nintendo's biggest franchise now. I mean if a port can be the best selling Nintendo game on the Switch just imagine what a new Mario Kart game on Switch could do.

It's been their biggest franchise for a long time now.

And I don't think a hypothetical MK9 would do any better legs-wise than MK8D is doing.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Sadly, no. The barrier of entry is just too high for the Top 10. Nintendo has released shipments for other games that they've only published in the West (Pokken, Octopath Travellers), so there's still hope to see it there.
MK8D will need a full time bundle to reach MKWii totals. That's 19M more than what it already has sold. Even MKWii didn't get there without a bundle.

I mean look at those legs, 1.2 million in a slow quarter like this, like... really, that's HUGE. Huge, and up YOY... look at the quarter sales of this game just to have an idea:

Q2 2017 - 3.540.000
Q3 2017 - 880.000
Q4 2017 - 2.910.000
Q1 2018 - 1.890.000
Q2 2018 - 1.130.000
Q3 2018 - 1.360.000
Q4 2018 - 3.310.000
Q1 2019 - 1.670.000
Q2 2019 - 1.200.000

With a trend like this, 30 million lifetime is like the absolutely worst scenario you can have, and Mario Kart Wii sales (37 million) seem realistic to me.

Switch 2 is not gonna release before the end of 2023 at the earlist, those are more than 4 full years of sales.

EDIT: Well if they release MK9 on Switch i can see the game slowing down a lot but still i don't see this selling less than 30 million at least like i said.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
And the amazing thing for Nintendo (and shitty thing for consumer) is none of those games really experienced much of a price drop.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need HAL to do something other than Kirby on the Switch. Please a new IP or Pokémon Snap 2. They're a really good developer. There's no 3DS. Do something new with AA budget

balb

Oct 30, 2017
There needs to be a thorough list of all-time classics that have been outsold by 1-2 Switch.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

And I don't think a hypothetical MK9 would do any better legs-wise than MK8D is doing.

I agree. I think MK8D is a "new" Mario Kart for most prospective players. They probably lost some enthusiast sales, but I doubt it was a significant amount compared to the overall sales.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

It's still Pokemon.
But Mario Kart has been number 2 for a long time. It's been outselling 3D mario and Zelda, and Smash (minus Melee) for decades now.

MK will sell the most of any one switch game.
but look at the 3ds, MK7 is the highest SKU, but then there's 4 pokemon games. So that's why it's pokemon.

as for mk9, vs Mk8. I think a hypothetical MK9 would've been a little higher, but not drastically yes.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

It's still Pokemon.
But Mario Kart has been number 2 for a long time. It's been outselling 3D mario and Zelda, and Smash (minus Melee) for decades now.

MK will sell the most of any one switch game.
but look at the 3ds, MK7 is the highest SKU, but then there's 4 pokemon games. So that's why it's pokemon.

as for mk9, vs Mk8. I think a hypothetical MK9 would've been a little higher, but not drastically yes.

agreed. At the end of the day, MK8 only lost sales to those who bought it on Wii U and didn't want to double dip. fairly low number

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
agreed. At the end of the day, MK8 only lost sales to those who bought it on Wii U and didn't want to double dip. fairly low number
Me included...XD. Though I agree it's a very low number...
Though I wanted to play because of new miniturbo. But...priorities...

As for Zelda, being it my favorite franchise, I don't know if I'm that happy with such success. Thought BOTW has some really good choices that I believe it will be good for the future that are a lot of choices that I really dislike and I'm afraid they will continue this way.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about eShop titles. I'm talking about an AA game. I want something bigger than Boxboy.
2020 will be probably be a kirby spinoff/side title.
then 2021 will be mainline (by mainline I mean Kirby Superstar type 2D adventure game). Mainline could even be 2020

Kirby is consistent, and sells well enough.
But Also, Kirby in Japan appears to be big in the merchandise space.
They have restaurants, toys, collectables that all do well.

So it's not only about the 2+ million each game sells. But rather releasing a game so often keeps Kirby's relevant for other ventures.

It's not what some consumers want to hear
But it make sense for Kirby to basically be a biennial franchise that HAL focuses on.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 will be probably be a kirby spinoff/side title.
then 2021 will be mainline (by mainline I mean Kirby Superstar type 2D adventure game). Mainline could even be 2020

Kirby is consistent, and sells well enough.
But Also, Kirby in Japan appears to be big in the merchandise space.
They have restaurants, toys, collectables that all do well.

So it's not only about the 2+ million each game sells. But rather releasing a game so often keeps Kirby's relevant for other ventures.

It's not what some consumers want to hear
But it make sense for Kirby to basically be a biennial franchise that HAL focuses on.
Ok

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
You know looking at the numbers on these games, I'm also thinking about the few threads we had on Nintendo's pricing strategy and some would argue that Nintendo is anti consumer.

I hope those people are reading the thread or catching up to the news and realize how poor their business sense is, ha. The pricepoint is moot, people keep buying into Nintendo games.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Odyssey hits 30M lifetime. That's one in every three Switches or so, I'd guess, by the time it's all said and done for the console. It deserves no less.

Where's Odyssey 2 already? (Probably in development right now, honestly.)

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Odyssey hits 30M lifetime. That's one in every three Switches or so, I'd guess, by the time it's all said and done for the console. It deserves no less.

Where's Odyssey 2 already? (Probably in development right now, honestly.)
That's like GTA numbers, before 5. I'd be absurdly impressed if that happened

Well either or that or, maybe, something else. I'd be curious to see what they can do outside of 3D Mario

Oct 25, 2017
That's like GTA numbers, before 5. I'd be absurdly impressed if that happened

Well either or that or, maybe, something else. I'd be curious to see what they can do outside of 3D Mario

I've never had more faith that some of these AAA Nintendo series can sell GTA numbers than I do right now, honestly.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that the BotW sequel will sell at or near 30M lifetime, for example.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"MK9 would cut off 8's legs" is such a terrible argument. Like seriously who cares? That hasn't stopped Nintendo from making sequels on the same console before.

I can't see another Mario Kart not being made at this point and I seriously doubt they're going to ride 8 out for another 3-4 years as is (and no, they're not going to do DLC at this point).

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Party - 6,990,000 (+590,000)

And we still can't get new maps...........why?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"MK9 would cut off 8's legs" is such a terrible argument. Like seriously who cares? That hasn't stopped Nintendo from making sequels on the same console before.

I can't see another Mario Kart not being made at this point and I seriously doubt they're going to ride 8 out for another 3-4 years as is (and no, they're not going to do DLC at this point).
The problem is not MK9 cutting the legs of MK8, it is millions of people looking at the new game and thinking "Yeah, we already have 8, we are fine".

Unless you have a drastic change like being openworld like Forza Horizon or something weird.

Super Mario Party - 6,990,000 (+590,000)

And we still can't get new maps...........why?
They think that probably the audience Mario Party is focused on doesn't have much interest in DLC or digital stuff.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Nintendo cares?

They're selling more than a million MK every single quarter without adding any new content. They have no reason to release MK9 as of now, I'm sure they are developing it in some capacity but there's really nothing that suggests we will see MK9 anytime soon

How often does it happen that Nintendo releases a game that still sells more than a million every quarter? at full price to boot.

Oct 25, 2017
I just have a hard time seeing where Nintendo can go after Mario Kart 8DX, which feels almost like a grand finale for the series in some ways, but then again, that's why I don't work as a creative at Nintendo.