• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Anything interesting in the AoC footage aside from Urbosa gameplay?
A few things:
  • Small snippet of Zelda gameplay
  • The world map menu that looks just like the BotW world map; you access side missions and misc. menus (ex. the blacksmith) from there, and can do small side quests there too
  • A side mission that showed Lon Lon Ranch before the Calamity, with Link wielding a two-handed weapon
  • Some more Impa gameplay in a side mission vs a Hinox

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Or they could not suck and give Zelda its first unique character since Melee. There's more then enough here to diversify her from Shiek.
The most fervent hope I have for Smash 6 is that Zelda and Ganondorf will get more canon-compliant movesets and that Sheik will be replaced by an Impa who plays like the AOC version. What a world that would be...

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Or they could not suck and give Zelda its first unique character since Melee. There's more then enough here to diversify her from Shiek.
So did Dark Samus, which is why her Smash Ultimate version feels so off, specially when compared to her smash 4 assist trophy. I wouldn't expect more echoes unless it's a Belmont-like situation, though.

The most fervent hope I have for Smash 6 is that Zelda and Ganondorf will get more canon-compliant movesets and that Sheik will be replaced by an Impa who plays like the AOC version. What a world that would be...
If Smash 6's gimmick is "everyone has a different moveset" it could both be interesting and disappointing. I'd certainly love if young used the mask transformations and toon link brought back some items from wind waker/spirit tracks.
--
I don't think I'll be getting it, but would you all say Pikmin 3 is worth it for the DLC missions and the extra difficulty levels alone?
I'm glad that gyro is there because it answers my worry around being able to aim at something behind you without having to turn around.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
So did Dark Samus, which is why her Smash Ultimate version feels so off, specially when compared to her smash 4 assist trophy. I wouldn't expect more echoes unless it's a Belmont-like situation, though.

--
I don't think I'll be getting it, but would you all say Pikmin 3 is worth it for the DLC missions and the extra difficulty levels alone?
I'm glad that gyro is there because it answers my worry around being able to aim at something behind you without having to turn around.
Honestly, the new content in the game makes it practically new. If you have the time and money to spare, get it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Kohga was supposed to be a title in BOTW anyway, right? If so, it's not necessarily the same one.

(Then again, I'm only taking that from other era posts, I've long forgotten the details of botw, so that may be incorrect.
Yeah, probably an epithet.

Ko means little, so maybe it's meant to be short for "Little Ganon."

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.
Thank you for this, I've been trying to find it forever lmao

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I think it was implied somewhere that the kohga title is inherited?

kass with champion abilities would be amazing
kass?

Not sure if it could work but an idea i had for a Champion Charcter was have Champion Zelda as the primary charcter and have her four specials be kinda similar to her Down B Phantom Special in that she calls on a fellow Champion to deliver an attack. I would also say her Smash Attacks would incorprate the other Champions as well.

The other idea is like Injustice 2 TMNT in that they are 4 charcters technically but you can swap between each other. They would also share special moves and the main difference is A attacks,Smashes and general height and weight.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Ghirahim was flamboyant but he got his mission done.

Ghirahim fucked around but he did what he set out to do. Not his fault Demise dropped the ball.
I wouldn't say that, honestly. Ghirahim lost to Link practically every time he ever fought him. In fact, during the course of the game Ghirahm gets more and more annoyed at how he can never seem to win. It's only at the very end, when he pulls the sneak attack, that he manages to accomplish his goal.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
It's Nintendo. What do you think the answer will be? When was the last time we actually had a competent villain in a Zelda game? Twilight Princess, maybe?

I remember being kinda bummed Zant turned out the way he did. Although, I've come around on it now. He starts off crazy in Hyrule Warriors 1 which I think helped with the whiplash of his reveal in Twilight Princess.

I hope the Yiga clan leader here isn't a complete doofus. They're such a cool idea for an enemy faction.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Can someone give me a rundown on what's new in Pikmin 3 DX compared to original?

Side stories yeah but is that pretty much it? Any info on how much content it is? That seemed to be just gold collecting too. I miss the creativity of the first two.

It seems such barebones compared to MK8DX and 3D World + BF

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I remember being kinda bummed Zant turned out the way he did. Although, I've come around on it now. He starts off crazy in Hyrule Warriors 1 which I think helped with the whiplash of his reveal in Twilight Princess.

I hope the Yiga clan leader here isn't a complete doofus. They're such a cool idea for an enemy faction.
I'm pretty sure he will be. I don't think Nintendo has it in them to write a "threatening" villain any longer. Even in BotW, Calamity Ganon is consistently portrayed as a force of nature, not an intelligent enemy. Nintendo went out of its way to remove the character from the villains in that game.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's Nintendo. What do you think the answer will be? When was the last time we actually had a competent villain in a Zelda game? Twilight Princess, maybe?
Ganondorf in Wind Waker was competent.

The twist of Twilight Princess was that you thought Zant was competent only to find out that he was the most oddball. But I wouldn't call Ganondorf competent in that game either because he basically had no idea what was going on. The game just happens to Ganon & Zelda and they never really figure out why.

Ghirahim in Skyward Sword was creepy & weird but also super competent. He was justing serving the wrong villain since Demise somehow managed to lose to Link 5-6 times in a single game.

DS games were oddballs working for generic evil. Link Between Worlds had competent villains but they weren't particularly evil.

And Calamity Ganon is just mindless

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Ghirahim was competent. He actually succeeded in his goal.
Not until the very end. Are you forgetting all the times he whines about how he can't win when we meet him at the end of each of the temples?

When it comes to villainous competence, in my book, 1 victory at the end of the game doesn't offset a half-dozen defeats during the course of the game. Ghirahim was a Saturday morning cartoon villain who won the first half of the season-ending two-parter, after losing at the end of every other single episode leading up to that.

The twist of Twilight Princess was that you thought Zant was competent only to find out that he was the most oddball. But I wouldn't call Ganondorf competent in that game either because he basically had no idea what was going on. The game just happens to Ganon & Zelda and they never really figure out why.

Ghirahim in Skyward Sword was creepy & weird but also super competent. He was justing serving the wrong villain since Demise somehow managed to lose to Link 5-6 times in a single game.

DS games were oddballs working for generic evil. Link Between Worlds had competent villains but they weren't particularly evil.

Okay, so the answer to my question is Wind Waker, which is even further back in time than Twilight Princess.

The point I'm trying to make is, Nintendo doesn't write competent Zelda villains anymore, and they haven't in a long, long time.

Not sure why people consider Ghirahim competent. Most of his dialog is him whining about how he's getting thwarted at every turn. We beat him at the end of every temple. Or are people forgetting that?

Oct 26, 2017

BotW Ganon had an army of Sheikah murder robots, an actual army of Hyruleans and four giant laser cannon wielding walking tanks piloted by the best warriors in Hyrule waiting for him when he reappeared/resurrected. He took over most of it and destroyed what he didn't. It took Link a hundred years to sleep off the slight case of death he came down with and if it wasn't for the incarnation of an actual Goddess powered by a piece of the Triforce keeping him more or less in place for a hundred years then the destruction would easily have been total.

You could maybe argue that he's more of a force of nature in BotW and so not exactly competent, but at the very least he was effective and hugely successful.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Considering we know for a fact that the ultimate villain of this game wins, I'm not sure this argument is as convincing as you want it to be.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say that, honestly. Ghirahim lost to Link practically every time he ever fought him. In fact, during the course of the game Ghirahm gets more and more annoyed at how he can never seem to win. It's only at the very end, when he pulls the sneak attack, that he manages to accomplish his goal.
He's overconfident and underestimates Link, but he mostly just gets delayed by Link and Impa. For the first part he's not taking Link seriously and just killing time out of frustration that Zelda got away. He's not incompetent, he just gets delayed.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
BotW Ganon had an army of Sheikah murder robots, an actual army of Hyruleans and four giant laser cannon wielding walking tanks piloted by the best warriors in Hyrule waiting for him when he reappeared/resurrected. He took over most of it and destroyed what he didn't. It took Link a hundred years to sleep off the slight case of death he came down with and if it wasn't for the incarnation of an actual Goddess powered by a piece of the Triforce keeping him more or less in place for a hundred years then the destruction would easily have been total.

You could maybe argue that he's more of a force of nature in BotW and so not exactly competent, but at the very least he was effective and hugely successful.
He was successful, yes, but my argument is that he wasn't actually a villain. If they had actually portrayed an intelligent Ganon/Ganondorf being behind everything, yes, that villain would have to be considered super-competent and successful, one of the most successful villains ever, in fact. But they didn't do that. They purposefully avoided doing that. They very deliberately went out of their way to emphasize how Ganon is mindless and a force of nature; i.e,. not a villain. And I would argue they did it specifically to make him less scary and get away from the idea of a competent villain actually defeating the heroes and winning the war and causing ruin and devastation and ruling the world for 100 years ago. They didn't want BotW to be that dark.

This is also why I don't expect AoC to feature any playable villains--because there aren't any actual villains in the time of AoC. Except for maybe the Yiga Clan, which is how we got into this discussion in the first place.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really matter though? Fighting Link didn't matter at all to him. He just did that for fun. His goal was Demise, and he succeeded.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
He's overconfident and underestimates Link, but he mostly just gets delayed by Link and Impa. For the first part he's not taking Link seriously and just killing time out of frustration that Zelda got away. He's not incompetent, he just gets delayed.
That sounds a lot like incompetence to me, frankly. He's not achieving his goals precisely because of his own failures and foibles. Isn't that essentially what incompetence is?

A truly competent villain wouldn't do the things Ghirahim does and would succeed where Ghirahim fails--much earlier in the game, too, for that matter. To me, this just highlights how incompetent/non-threatening Ghirahim actually is. We knew Ghirahim would show up at the end of every temple, summon a boss or fight us himself, we'd win, and then move on. I just don't see how this can be considered "competent."

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

TP Ganon didn't know why he had the triforce of power, but that doesn't mean his plan wasn't competent. He ran with it and almost won.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not until the very end. Are you forgetting all the times he whines about how he can't win when we meet him at the end of each of the temples?

When it comes to villainous competence, in my book, 1 victory at the end of the game doesn't offset a half-dozen defeats during the course of the game. Ghirahim was a Saturday morning cartoon villain who won the first half of the season-ending two-parter, after losing at the end of every other single episode leading up to that.

Okay, so the answer to my question is Wind Waker, which is even further back in time than Twilight Princess.

The point I'm trying to make is, Nintendo doesn't write competent Zelda villains anymore, and they haven't in a long, long time.

Not sure why people consider Ghirahim competent. Most of his dialog is him whining about how he's getting thwarted at every turn. We beat him at the end of every temple. Or are people forgetting that?
Ghirahim beats Link at first. He just keeps letting Link live or distracting him with random bosses because he's too busy chasing down Impa to deal with you. It's only toward the end of the game that he has that breakdown when he realizes he ignored Link too long and Link is now as strong as him. Then Link uses the magic mcguffin to erase his master. But instead of giving up or pointlessly fighting the (now much stronger) Link, he lies in await and pulls off the win by surprise. I call that pretty competent, especially since he accomplished goal.

The only reason evil didn't win was because Demise sucks & Hylia was playing 4D chess.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying they made Ganon a cloud of pure hatred that nearly killed everybody to make him "less scary" is a hell of a take. Calamity Ganon is probably the most intimidating he's ever been.

Not even getting into the fucking zombie in the sequel trailer.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds a lot like incompetence to me, frankly. He's not achieving his goals because of his own failures and foibles. Isn't that essentially what incompetence is?
No. He was delayed through no fault of his own and ultimately succeeded. He never even completely lost to Link since upon completing his goal he became Demise's Sword and basically an unresolved plot point the should address in the future.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Wow, I didn't know there were that many Ghirahim fans out there. Okay, whatever. You guys think Ghirahim is competent, despite the fact that we beat him every time we ever fight him. I don't see him as anything more than a Shredder-level Saturday morning cartoon villain who happens to achieve his goals at the end of the first part of the season-ending two-parter to set up the finale, but I guess other people disagree. That's all. Moving on. What other competent Zelda villains have there been in the 21st century? I'm noticing that not too many people are sticking up for anybody else.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Saying they made Ganon a cloud of pure hatred that nearly killed everybody to make him "less scary" is a hell of a take. Calamity Ganon is probably the most intimidating he's ever been.

Not even getting into the fucking zombie in the sequel trailer.
I know that Calamity Ganon is intimidating. What I'm saying is that he's not a villain. Having a villain do everything Calamity Ganon would make him even scarier. I believe Nintendo purposefully refrained from doing that.

I'm not even sure why this is such a controversial. This was a pretty common criticism of the game back upon its release.

I hope they go all-out with human Ganondorf in BotW 2, but it's for this very reason that I'm concerned they won't.

EDIT: At any rate, I have to pull out of this conversation for now. I've got some correspondence that I have to attend to this afternoon.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't know there were that many Ghirahim fans out there. Okay, whatever. You guys think Ghirahim is competent, despite the fact that we beat him every time we ever fight him. I don't see him as anything more than a Shredder-level Saturday morning cartoon villain who happens to achieve his goals at the end of the first part of the season-ending two-parter to set up the finale, but I guess other people disagree. That's all. Moving on. What other competent Zelda villains have there been in the 21st century? I'm noticing that not too many people are sticking up for anybody else.
I mean, you're the one trying to make it so you're right and everyone else is wrong. Even trying to go "moving on" after trying to dismiss everyone else's opinion. Girahim wins because link doesn't factor into his plan. Him winning or losing against link means nothing because it's an amusing distraction for him. When he finally takes it seriously, he succeeds and quite frankly, he only needed to succeed once. That's why people call him competent, because he succeeded. It's not a "you need to succeed all day every day" thing that means competence.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
TP Ganon didn't know why he had the triforce of power, but that doesn't mean his plan wasn't competent. He ran with it and almost won.
He never really got a chance to implement his full plan. He got (almost) executed before he could even enact his plan, developed a self-destructive god complex thanks to being gifted the triforce of power, and then manipulated a crazy man to take everything over. Ganondorf probably had a real plan to finish taking over Hyrule but once he got back his body he almost immediately died to 2 strangers in a random field. He probably could've been a more competent villain if it wasn't for his god complex and fate screwing him over.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Hyrule historians assessing the Calamity War:

"In addition to the takeover of Guardians, one of the key factors that contributed to our defeat in the war was the surprising lack of manpower during key battles.

For the longest time, this was attributed to devastating enemy attacks earlier in the war, coinciding with the turning of the Guardians. An archeological site of a mass grave of Hylian soldiers near Lon Lon Ranch has long been cited as an example of such an attack. However, some scholars have noted that nearly all of the remains had damage indicative of blunt trauma inflicted with tremendous force as the cause of death, which doesn't suggest a battle with the Guardians. A common hypothesis proposes a surprise attack from an unusually large force of Lynels and Hinoxes, although it doesn't explain why the soldiers would be buried in the first place.

All in all, this remains a mystery."

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Ko means little, so maybe it's meant to be short for "Little Ganon."
It's not that ko. In Japanese you can see it's kou, using the long sound, which doesn't mean little. Kohga's name is likely a reference to Kouga-ryuu, a ninjutsu school, which is also where the Pokemon gym leader Koga gets his name from.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me a rundown on what's new in Pikmin 3 DX compared to original?

Side stories yeah but is that pretty much it? Any info on how much content it is? That seemed to be just gold collecting too. I miss the creativity of the first two.

It seems such barebones compared to MK8DX and 3D World + BF
From what I gathered it is basically:

- Full initial game + its DLC
- New Co-op mode in Story mode (a series first)
- Several new missions with characters from Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 (prologue and epilogue)
- Gyro aiming added and other QoL changes
- Piklopedia makes a return