• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
If it's only one stage, why are people still freaking out over this? Is there something I don't about it? I mean, yesterday it seemed like a dead story, but I woke up with four pages added to the thread and people who don't seem to have read it are complaining just like those in the first page.

Did I miss something?

Green098

May 19, 2018
This is definitely is just a case of mishandling by a moderator.

With so many other stages with the flag still up, I'm sure this was not something that was under the criteria Nintendo intended or specifically demanded to be removed.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have Nintendo said anything? If not a simple statement saying their mod fucked up and they apologise would go a long way to making the LGBT community feel welcome.

I mean, they don't really need to comment on every little thing. Responding to the person about the stage and reinstating it would be good enough.

And as far as my person feelings, as a member of the community, I feel pretty welcome within the stuff that Nintendo puts out, especially the past few years. Jumping the gun on situations like this that seem to clearly be human error or a mistake, just make matters worse.

When there's a real issue then use that outage people. Don't misdirect it when it really isn't needed.

If it's only one stage, why are people still freaking out over this? Is there something I don't about it? I mean, yesterday it seemed like a dead story, but I woke up with four pages added to the thread and people who don't seem to have read it are complaining just like those in the first page.

Did I miss something?

Because people on Era don't read and want to get caught up in the drama of a title.

Sad to say that even people I assume have common sense in here are lacking it.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns surrounding transphobia, antagonizing other members, previous infractions

Did I miss something?

People gonna outrage every chance they get, even if there's nothing actually outrageous going on.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
As far as we can tell it seems it was just the one stage that was removed while there are still dozens of other stages sporting the trans flag still intact. If you still think this is "below low tier shit" I think we've lost track of our footing.

Probably just some overly eager/shitty moderator who jumped the gun but still, like I said, other similar stages remain untouched so let's not condemn an entire company with thousands of employees just yet.

Ah okay, I was not aware... I confess I didnt read much outside of the first page.

Hopefully this is just a single happening then.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I didnt even know there was a trans flag. Cool. While it diesnt seem like this is anything mire thsn possibly a moderator overreaching or misunderstanding a policy, it would be nice if nintendo corporate did respond.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, until Nintendo actually make a statement about this, I don't care if it boils down to a moderator making a mistake. If they don't adress it, I can only assume they in fact do think something as basic trans rights is too political for them to support. A simple statement through their twitter would be enough, and is hardly be too much to ask for.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
TIL there is a trans flag
There is and its spectacuar

images

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Did I miss something?
You said it yourself, people don't read. They're probably just going off the thread title and nothing more.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, until Nintendo actually make a statement about this, I don't care if it boils down to a moderator making a mistake. If they don't adress it, I can only assume they in fact do think something as basic trans rights is too political for them to support. A simple statement through their twitter would be enough, and is hardly be too much to ask for.

That's such a short sighted way to look at things, especially when reading through the thread gives instances that they haven't removed other pro lgbt stages and have had some really positive lgbt moments in some of their games.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
This is a single independent moderator taking down content which clearly is not being taken down elsewhere as you admit in the OP, as tons of similar stages are still up. No need to rally gamers on the forum against the entire corporation of Nintendo for this one lol...

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Did I miss something?
People only read the title and start assuming things.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they only banned one stage with it but there are a ton of others available to play on - can someone tell me why this is a "Nintendo issue"? Clearly one moderator fucked up, it's not like they have an algorithm that auto bans trans flags

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
So they only banned one stage with it but there are a ton of others available to play on - can someone tell me why this is a "Nintendo issue"? Clearly one moderator fucked up, it's not like they have an algorithm that auto bans trans flags
At the begining it could be an issue and, therefore, thread-worth. By now, it's just an isolated case that has no relevance at all.

At least we can spot who just reads the title and run to comment.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That's such a short sighted way to look at things, especially when reading through the thread gives instances that they haven't removed other pro lgbt stages and have had some really positive lgbt moments in some of their games.

Perhaps, but by not adressing this, which really would be a simple thing to do, they are essentially not acknowledging they made a mistake. A paying customer was punished for doing something that in the end was a positive statement benefiting a part of their audience that are already under attack, and Nintendo won't make a simple admission that they made a mistake. It would be such a simple thing to make a short statement and apology. In the end, their moderators action makes a statement on their behalf, and they could make it better without any real effort. It's all very reminiscent of what happened with Tomodachi Life a few years ago. Eventually they did make a statement about that one, but it certainly didn't come easy for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Perhaps, but by not adressing this, which really would be a simple thing to do, they are essentially not acknowledging they made a mistake. A paying customer was punished for doing something that in the end was a positive statement benefiting a part of their audience that are already under attack, and Nintendo won't make a simple admission that they made a mistake. It would be such a simple thing to make a short statement and apology. In the end, their moderators action makes a statement on their behalf, and they could make it better without any real effort. It's all very reminiscent of what happened with Tomodachi Life a few years ago. Eventually they did make a statement about that one, but it certainly didn't come easy for them.

I'm guessing it takes a day or two to write a statement, make sure it goes through legal and releasing the statement.

Having this come out on a weekend also didn't help.

The game and watch issue with the Indians was a bigger issue (in game content) and that took a couple of days.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was the actions of one person the fact that this happened in our current political landscape means that, yeah, people are right to be upset about this.

Nintendo doesn't need y'all to constantly defend it 24/7.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did you read the thread?

The answer is clear.

Even if it was the actions of one person the fact that this happened in our current political landscape means that, yeah, people are right to be upset about this.

Nintendo doesn't need y'all to constantly defend it 24/7.

No one is saying this person doesn't have a reason to be upset. But trying to paint this as Nintendo being transphobic or against lgbt rights is disingenuous and you have fanboys trying to push their narrative that way, when all it takes is doing something called reading instead of hot takes on just the title of a thread.

And giving some background info on Nintendo's stance or what is currently on the builder section isn't defending 24/7, god forbid people make educated and researched posts to combat those who lack common sense and go for outrage mode without reading before hand.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Rationalizing transphobia with false equivalencies.
I dont see an issue in them making an effort to be entirely neutral. It's probably easier to take down content like that then let other users start being prejudiced against it by doing good knows what.

If you allow a particular "politial" flag in, be expected to see as many maps disgracing that flag. It's easier to just not allow any flags in.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont see an issue in them making an effort to be entirely neutral. It's probably easier to take down content like that then let other users start being prejudiced against it by doing good knows what.

If you allow a particular "politial" flag in, be expected to see as many maps disgracing that flag. It's easier to just not allow any flags in.

Trans rights are not political.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Actually pro lgbt posts in Miiverse and Splatoon 2 have been around for a while. Nintendo has never had a stance against this sort of thing, so the most educated guess without nonsense attached to it is that the post was flagged by alt right douche bags and the mod made a mistake.

Honestly people, don't forget that some folks are not as woke as some of the lgbt in this thread, even some of you allies. Education on matters, even stuff such as a flag, are lacking on lgbt rights. Maybe the mod thought it was an anti-trans political statement?

And as harsh as this may sound, I get annoyed when allies pull the rage shit for us queer folks. The person whose stage was taken down has another one up, and seemed to laugh at the situation once they realized that it was probably a mistake. Don't take this as some turning point or Nintendo being out of touch that they're anti-trans or lgbt pride.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Actually pro lgbt posts in Miiverse and Splatoon 2 have been around for a while. Nintendo has never had a stance against this sort of thing, so the most educated guess without nonsense attached to it is that the post was flagged by alt right douche bags and the mod made a mistake.

Honestly people, don't forget that some people are not as woke as some of us in this thread, even some of you allies. Education on matters, even stuff such as a flag, are lacking on lgbt rights. Maybe the mod thought it was an anti-trans political statement?

And as harsh as this may sound, I get annoyed when allies pull the rage shit for us queer folks. The person whose stage was taken down has another one up, and seemed to laugh at the situation once they realized that it was probably a mistake. Don't take this as some turning point or Nintendo being out of touch that they're anti-trans or lgbt pride.
Oh. Well if Nintendo is suddenly changing its stance, fuck em.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trans rights are not political.
My point isnt necessarily about politics.
People will always be shitty. If you allow the American flag, for example, in. You'd find some pro American maps, and some people making maps where they're burning the flag.

My point is that it's just easier to not allow the flag at all.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017

Being neutral about trans rights (or any kind of human rights) is, in practice, not very far from being against trans rights.
However, this is an isolated case and Nintendo doesn't seem to have any sort of policy to prohibit this type of content. Still, they need to clarify the situation and apologize for this.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Being neutral about trans rights (or any kind of human rights) is, in practice, not very far from being against trans rights.
However, this is an isolated case and Nintendo doesn't seem to have any sort of policy to prohibit this type of content. Still, they need to clarify the situation and apologize for this.
I understand that point. But a company like Nintendo, I would fully understand if they didnt want to be affiliated with either side.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I understand that point. But a company like Nintendo, I would fully understand if they didnt want to be affiliated with either side.
Everything can draw haters, so not siding with trans rights in order to avoid backlash from people who are on the other side (aka assholes or ignorant people) or touching sensitive subjects would be an immoral and cowardly stance to take. Even coming from a Japanese company.

Of course, I understand why a company would want to avoid touching on these subjects, but in this day and age, you can't just step back and pretend staying neutral isn't problematic.

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything can draw haters, so not siding with trans rights in order to avoid backlash from people who are on the other side (aka assholes or ignorant people) or touching sensitive subjects would be an immoral and cowardly stance to take. Even coming from a Japanese company.

Of course, I understand why a company would want to avoid touching on these subjects, but in this day and age, you can't just step back and pretend staying neutral isn't problematic.

For sure, staying neutral is very problematic. Same thing happened with Taylor Swift for a while, she refused to state her political leanings and people constantly called her out on it. She eventually caved and realized it was doing more harm than good.

Nintendo hasn't been neutral on this subject in a long time, and when they've been called out on something that might have been problematic, they're rectified it or commented on how they will change it for more inclusion.

Not everyone is going to be woke. But speaking up with common sense in these situations is a lot more helpful than going into gotcha mode.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
This thread is a mistake.

That said, I do think that it's important to keep an eye open for this sort of things.

It's better make a mistake trying to battle a good battle than pretending transphobia doesn't exist and human rights is a political thing.