• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
By all means, point to an official statement made by Nintendo on their stance about LGBTQ+. Bonus points if it was already posted in this thread and I missed it.

Here:

https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-kinda-sorta-kept-its-big-gay-promise-451397.phtml

This is what I could find on the matter. Essentially:
- The Tomodachi Life thing was a glitch
- Nintendo said that it wouldn't be fixing the glitch (by making gay marriage possible without it) but would be developing the 'next' game in the series to have homosexual relationships from the ground up
- Miitopia (which is essentially the next game in the 'Mii' series) allows any characters no matter the gender to become 'soul mates' with each other (with love hearts in their eyes and everything), there's no explicit romance there but everyone is definitely treated equally

I doubt it's automated; if it were then the 4,000+ 'yeah' Trans Rights post would have most definitely been banned by now. This is most likely the fault of a random transphobic moderator.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Nintendo tends to be very conservative on social issues and tends to shy away from these subjects.
I think it's time they moved into the 21st century and fully embraced equality. So many young people are influenced by them, they would be such a valuable asset and AFAIK they are the only of the big 3 not heavily pushing support.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The outrage of some people here seems a bit silly as there seems many comparable stages out there.

With it seems thousands of stages uploaded every hour there can something like this happen easily.

Blaming the stage moderation when they are working so effectively and sorting bad and hate stuff out very fast is a bit whiny.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think it's time they moved into the 21st century and fully embraced equality. So many young people are influenced by them, they would be such a valuable asset and AFAIK they are the only of the big 3 not heavily pushing support.
I agree, but Japanese society in general is conservative. Hopefully the new generations will shape more progressive views and replace the old.

Oct 25, 2017
They need to release a statement apologizing for the mistake (assuming it was), explaining how it occurred, and explaining how they plan to address it.

Same thing applies to the racist stuff. I think that never got real traction because of plausible deniability as to the intent (Donkey Kong was in Punch Out Wii, he's really strong, Diddy uses a b-box in DKC2, they're Japanese devs, etc.) but the result (black people being associated with apes, monkeys, and thieves) is undeniably racist.

They need to address this. Now.

They won't.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing racism. Account still in junior phase.
I really really wanna know what is going on behind closed doors at Nintendo...
First these racist stereotypes in Smash and now THIS?

You can't tell me that NoA doesn't understand how wrong this is but how
much does NCL care or say this should stay...
I'm heavily disappointed by Nintendo and there should be more pressure so that they have to fix this

There are no racists stereotypes in Smash. It's all blown up because of reasons.

Some people really get engaged about nothing

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I agree, but Japanese society in general is conservative. Hopefully the new generations will shape more progressive views and replace the old.
For what it's worth, the Splatoon & ARMS teams are making strides towards a more progressive Nintendo.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should absolutely issue a statement saying that LGBQT rights are not political and walk back this ban, and apologize to the creator. I really doubt this ban is reflective of some mandate from Nintendo, and I'm guessing that there is so much bad stuff being posted to the stage creator that they are banning anything that receives a lot of reports.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The outrage of some people here seems a bit silly as there seems many comparable stages out there.

With it seems thousands of stages uploaded every hour there can something like this happen easily.

Blaming the stage moderation when they are working so effectively and sorting bad and hate stuff out very fast is a bit whiny.

Maybe, but at the same time it hasn't really been a good year for trans gamers. Between the cyberpunk twitter stuff, and the THQ company doing an AMA on a hate site, a lot of companies are showing how little they care. It's also not like Nintendo has really done much to show they have any position on LGBTQ+ issues. They seem kind of like Disney, they want to maintain a "family friendly" brand, which means never really speaking out for queer representation or support. I know I seem overly cynical, and I am sure the moderation team is trying their best, this is just a bad look for the company right now to me.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Nintendo should absolutely issue a statement saying that LGBQT rights are not political and walk back this ban, and apologize to the creator. I really doubt this ban is reflective of some mandate from Nintendo, and I'm guessing everything that there is so much bad stuff being posted to the stage creator that they are banning anything that receives a lot of reports.
It ultimately depends on how big the outrage is. That's how most of these companies react.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's silly that people are acting like saying "fuck Nintendo" equals a massive amount of outrage as if they never heard the word before. No one is organizing a protest here. We'll have to wait and see what they say either way, but the "outrage" here really isn't as big as some making it out to be.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were more posts from people coming in to make generalized complaints about era, than angry people.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Does it count as outrage if a bad thing happens and you acknowledge it happened?

Does it count as outrage if a bad thing happens and you acknowledge that it's a bad thing?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Does it count as outrage if a bad thing happens and you acknowledge it happened?

Does it count as outrage if a bad thing happens and you acknowledge that it's a bad thing?
"Only if the bad thing doesn't directly affect me. Because if it does then it's a legitimate problem Otherwise, baseless outrage!"

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
all the drive-by posts screaming "outrage!!111" in this thread is starting to get annoying

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I think it's silly that people are acting like saying "fuck Nintendo" equals a massive amount of outrage as if they never heard the word before. No one is organizing a protest here. We'll have to wait and see what they say either way.

Perhaps a cultural problem. If I say "fuck something" I really mean it. But for other people it seems like a term they use for everything, even minor stuff.

If Nintendo took down every stage with this symbol I would say "fuck them", but this is not even remotely the case. And in other games Nintendo like Splatoon Nintendo took down hate message quickly and never cared about gay or trans stuff.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Perhaps a cultural problem. If I say "fuck something" I really mean it. But for other people it seems like a term they use for everything, even minor stuff.

If Nintendo took down every stage with this symbol I would say "fuck them", but this is not even remotely the case. And in other games Nintendo like Splatoon Nintendo took down hate message quickly and never cared about gay or trans stuff.
Them not caring is ironically part of the issue.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

If that's the case, then probably. Not sure where you're from, but I've never taken it as anything all that serious. People say it all the time in real life, tv, etc. Growing up in Philly as a kid, I even remember hearing people saying it endearingly to each other. In the wrong place, it could get your ass kicked lol. Of course this varies from social circle to social circle, but based on what I've witnessed in American culture, it can range all over.

In general, something I've noticed with outrage is that everyone complains about others being outraged, but it's rarely as bad as some make it out to be. It really feels like more people came to complain about outraged posters than there are actual outraged posters. Maybe some of those posters from the first page changed their minds based on further information? Maybe they're just sick of constantly defending themselves in all aspects of their lives and watching their rights eroded away? We should all be a bit more mindful in that regard. I say this as someone who is fine with just waiting and seeing, mind you.

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Embarrassing decision from Nintendo. Doing nothing will only hurt their reputation.

The statement "trans rights" is not a political statement. It's a reminder that trans people are still subject to instances of dehumanization (most recently the trans military ban, which forced trans people to "switch back", among other shitty things, to stay employed). Giving everyone rights (like the ability to pick a name) is a basic interpersonal expectation, not some political stance. But some shitty people in power won't even give trans people that bit of freedom.

The moderator that punished the player is transphobic and needs to be fired ASAP.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Threads that jump to conclusions despite strong evidence to suggest otherwise are pretty annoying too.

What outrage? The biggest reasons threads like these -- calling out what would otherwise be fairly minor sins with, admittedly, potentially troubling implications -- get so many replies so fast is all the people clicking their tongues, rolling their eyes, and saying "yeah, so what", because those are indicative of very troubling social dynamics on the forum and need to be addressed.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'm never gonna play a nintendo product ever again!
24703.jpg

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is this a case of Nintendo being transphobic or people (trolls) reporting one particular stage a bunch of times to get it flagged?

If there are still trans themed stages then I'm guessing it was trolling.

People here should be embarrassed for not even asking these questions.

So according to Nintendo, Trans rights are as bad as the Holocaust.

Why make such a ridiculous false equivalency?

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh fuck off with this. That's not true at all and you're just adding fuel to the fire with your shit post.

I'm surprised at the amount of people not reading or understanding the topic and just going off the title, including my fellow queer peeps. Come on, Jesus. This was clearly shit heads reporting the stage and a mod either not understanding or mistakingly make a decision. Tons of lgbt stages remain and this goes against Nintendo's typical stance with lgbt rights and their viewpoint.

Oct 27, 2017
I just think it's odd how apparently having lots of stages that feature trans flags is not example or reason to praise Nintendo, but having 1 singular situation wrongly banned is a reason for people to say fuck Nintendo.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
look, just jump into my DMs with slurs if you want to be a disgusting transphobic shitposter, OK

Ditto any of the people going on rants about "outrage culture" or whatever. We get it, you want to be transphobic but don't want to be seen as being transphobic.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I have to agree that this was likely mass-reported by trolls and one moderator made a bad call, considering there's plenty of stages that have the same theme and are still there. Stuff like this definitely shouldn't happen and hopefully it can be ammended.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Embarrassing decision from Nintendo. Doing nothing will only hurt their reputation.

The statement "trans rights" is not a political statement. It's a reminder that trans people are still subject to instances of dehumanization (most recently the trans military ban, which forced trans people to "switch back", among other shitty things, to stay employed). Giving everyone rights (like the ability to pick a name) is a basic interpersonal expectation, not some political stance. But some shitty people in power won't even give trans people that bit of freedom.

The moderator that punished the player is transphobic and needs to be fired ASAP.

I would argue the vast majority of politics consists of those in power denying people basic human rights.

I don't think saying it's not political is accurate or productive. The focus should be on not encouraging hateful ideas (one of which being that trans people cannot express themselves).

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I would argue the vast majority of politics consists of those in power denying people basic human rights.

I don't think saying it's not political is accurate or productive. The focus should be on not encouraging hateful ideas (one of which being that trans people cannot express themselves).

I think its more the sentiment that people stating their right to exist shouldn't be a political opinion, nor should it be considered such. The fact trans people exist isn't a fact that is up for debate. Hence the 'its not a political statement' comments.

Because it shouldn't be, trans people SHOULD have rights, and its messed up that this is the situation we're in.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think its more the sentiment that people stating their right to exist shouldn't be a political opinion, nor should it be considered such. The fact trans people exist isn't a fact that is up for debate. Hence the 'its not a political statement' comments.

Because it shouldn't be, trans people SHOULD have rights, and its messed up that this is the situation we're in.
This right here. There is no debate on this.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Probably just a dumbass employee, they might have some low paid teens working on a random basement

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

I dunno, the fact that a majority vote can even determine a trans person's right to express themselves bothers me. Such freedom shouldn't be something that is up to debate, it should be something that is granted by default. Trans people should have control over how they should be treated, not some actors in a political system. Yes, granting trans rights is a political decision, but trans people would avoid the political system altogether if they had the choice.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I dunno, the fact that a majority vote can even determine a trans person's right to express themselves bothers me. Such freedom shouldn't be something that is up to debate, it should be something that is granted by default. Trans people should have control over how they should be treated, not some actors in a political system. Yes, granting trans rights is a political decision, but trans people would avoid the political system altogether if they had the choice.

The problem is the default mindset in society is to be skeptical of, or even hate and marginalize, trans people. Throughout history political revolutions have come because a certain group is subjugated by society at large, changing the minds of people and laws of government. We are in the middle of one right now for trans people. Transphobia, like all systematic oppression, is deeply woven into our society, our religions, our media, our laws, all facets of life.

To exist as a trans person, especially proudly, is a powerful, radical statement in a world deeply set against them. Is that unfair? Sure, but it's only because of directly confronting the problem head on, rather than ignoring it and hoping it goes away, did people ever change the world for the better. I think it's good to be aware of that.

If we want that freedom for trans people, we have to make it a reality through our own actions. The governments of the world will never grant freedoms willingly.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
As little of a shit as many "gamers" give about LGBT issues I'm more than happy with being wrong here and there when it comes to decrying possible homophobia. The more eyes on issues like this the better.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Apologies for my shitpost, should've read more of the thread but I did read the OP and it doesn't excuse the "political" line used by Nintendo at all.

look, just jump into my DMs with slurs if you want to be a disgusting transphobic shitposter, OK

Ditto any of the people going on rants about "outrage culture" or whatever. We get it, you want to be transphobic but don't want to be seen as being transphobic.
Might want to read my post again.