• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
This basically sums up my thoughts perfectly. If Nintendo sides with this decision or if the stage removals become widespread, then we should jump down their throats. But for right now, this seems to be an isolated incident by a mod who made a bad call. I'm not condoning the stage's removal at all, but rather that similar removals don't seem to be prevalent going by vestal & Imran's posts.
Not only that, but we also don't know the context of the call. For all we know, said political statement because the person said it...if it was said in the first place.

Guess we'll know more in the upcoming days.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): derailing serious topic with platform wars and antagonizing other members over a series of posts + history of infractions
Thats shameful. Cue the Nintendo can do no wrong defense force in 3..2...1...
Fuck off Nintendo, this is a shit policy and transphobic as hell.
Terrible. But no surprise, Nintendo has always been a very conservative company.
Surprise, surprise, Nintendo is a backwards company

2019 and the internet, ladies and gentlemans. so cringy

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think most of the people saying "fuck Nintendo" in this thread have even played Smash or Splatoon 2

But i mean, it's something that merits a "fuck nintendo", why aren't they being equal with their audience and their games? How come Smash gets this Trans content censorship when Splatoon has been so chill about it since launch?

Astrot

Oct 27, 2017
I think someone who moderates the maps fucked up .
There are still a lot of pro trans stages under the most popular stages and the Splatoon 2 Plaza has so many pro trans message that I don't think Nintendo is against pro trans message in there games.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It does seems like mass reporting indeed, since the others are unaffected, we'll see if it happens again.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
But i mean, it's something that merits a "fuck nintendo", why aren't they being equal with their audience and their games? How come Smash gets this Trans content censorship when Splatoon has been so chill about it since launch?
There are a dozen of maps like this that are up since the launch of the stage builder, there aren't any censorship.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

There is no censorship, have you seen how many trans rights stages there are?

Oct 27, 2017

You keep saying "they" when thus far it's literally been a single stage by a single moderator. There's no indication this is their policy. There are other stages of pretty much the exact same thing with trans related labels still up

Plum

May 31, 2018
But i mean, it's something that merits a "fuck nintendo", why aren't they being equal with their audience and their games? How come Smash guess this Trans content censorship when Splatoon has been so chill about it since launch?

Because this is, in all likelihood, not Nintendo's decision. It's a single stage in a game with at least tens of 'Trans Rights' stages at this point (of which one is on the front page with 4,000 'yeahs'); that this one was taken down was most likely the decision of a single/a few moderator/s based on the rule 'No Politics.'

As I said in my initial post, there are a lot of people who think the existence of trans-folk is inherently political, so when a post like that gets flagged for being 'political' there's a fair chance that at least one of the who-knows-how-many people working for Nintendo/at Nintendo in the moderation team agrees.

From what it seems, it appears to be the work of one mod and limited to one stage. I think it is good that people are taking note of this though. Hopefully Nintendo or whatever mod team is responsible is aware that they are going to kick a hornet's nest wide open if they mass ban the stages.

If that happens, then I am more than happy to call them out.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Maybe be because of the things the people who arent just coming in for a fuck nintendo hottake are saying, and that is also said in OP.

That there was so far exactly one stage redacted, there are still boatloads of stages with the same content that are not being banned and its thus most likely a case of a stage getting dogplied by idiots reporting it(as was shown in another post in this thread that links to some idiots organising to do so on 4chan) and a overzealous/idiot moderator removing the stage.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Kotaku UK would have grounds to make a story about this!
Absolutely.
Again, this was 100% a mistake, just search up "trans" on the stage builder stuff, here is just a page of stages still there
D4jA6BuUYAAG18X.jpg
Absolutely, but it should still be made right. I'll feel better once the person who originally had their stage taken down and received a temporary ban gets that ban rescinded and their stage reuploaded with no issue.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Because of the current lack of context. Splatoon 2 was also flooded with anti-LGBT and racist messages for a time, which is why many of us just blocked all images in the game. So is not like Splatoon was alright for a time.

At the moment, is one incident, thousands of trans flags are still there and "Nintendo" is one customer support agent, that apparently said it during a call which we don't even know what the person calling said or the tone.

Oct 25, 2017
It's all based on the report system. The most likely scenario is that there were mass reports on this particular trans rights stage along with all the other mass reports on other stages from the first day the builder went live and someone made a bad call. Unless every other of the dozens of trans rights stages recieved similar treatment, I can't say for certain this is them treating the audiences differently.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I think what he means is that anything sexual at all ( boy, girl, bi, trans, gender fluid, ect) should be just left out of game service where can kids play. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with it at all, of course its a good cause, its just kids have an innocence that they deserve to have. I'd also argue against any toys having a gender label for the same reason.

It's also possible i'm wrong and would love to hear a respectful rebuttal without being attacked
Bayonetta is in the game. You can make most of her clothes disappear and she does sexy dances.

This is just a flag.

So, nah, this ain't it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Did Nintendo ever address and/or apologize for Tomodachi Life not allowing same-sex relationships?

This stage should've never been banned regardless, unless it just auto-bans stages that get a lot of reports (which would be lame).

Did Nintendo ever address and/or apologize for Tomodachi Life not allowing same-sex relationships?

They did.

http://time.com/94738/nintendo-apology-tomodachi-life/
We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game's design, and such a significant development change can't be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
"And if you think that's bad wait until you hear about Atlus" is a hell of a punchline considering Nintendo apparently were super eager to work with them for this new Smash update

Clearly Nintendo wanted to work with Altus on this update(because somehow Altus was involved in the update that brought a stage builder) to bring stage builder into the game so people could make Trans Rights stages so Nintendo could ban them.

Nothing at all to do with the third party character being included.(the thing Altus was actually involved in)

Like i know from the last threads that you have a huge axe to grind with Altus and anything associated with it, buy like wow.

Oct 25, 2017

This stage should've never been banned regardless, unless it just auto-bans stages that get a lot of reports (which would be lame).

Yes.

We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game's design, and such a significant development change can't be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I guess the right answer is to accuse a bunch of people who were upset at this of just being upset because it's a certain company, right?

Nintendo needs your defense, get your sword and shield ready.

Nah, the right answer is to accuse everybody not agreeing with you to be a fanboy who needs to defend a certain company.

Its impossible they could have any opinion besides the one you have without being a fanboy.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a case of Era overreacting and shiting on something after a research on the subject as deep as a Kotaku article.

Some opinions here are embarrassing.

That's almost all the time here, things are looked at on a surface level and discussions are about something that barely resembles what's actually going on.

Plum

May 31, 2018

https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-kinda-sorta-kept-its-big-gay-promise-451397.phtml

This is what I could find on the matter. Essentially:
- The Tomodachi Life thing was a glitch
- Nintendo said that it wouldn't be fixing the glitch (by making gay marriage possible without it) but would be developing the 'next' game in the series to have homosexual relationships from the ground up
- Miitopia (which is essentially the next game in the 'Mii' series) allows any characters no matter the gender to become 'soul mates' with each other (with love hearts in their eyes and everything), there's no explicit romance there but everyone is definitely treated equally

I doubt it's automated; if it were then the 4,000+ 'yeah' Trans Rights post would have most definitely been banned by now. This is most likely the fault of a random transphobic moderator.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
At the very least, the person who had her stage delisted in the OP has another trans flag stage that has remained up.
unknown.png

However, this still needs to be resolved. Hopefully Nintendo makes this right for her.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is still in stone age.

They're really not if you played the part of the Gerudo Town in BOTW. This is clearly doing of a bunch of mass trolls reporting it and someone making a bad call. There are other stages that support lgbt rights still up.

And I say this as a fellow queer person. Nintendo is one of the last gaming companies I'd call out on transphobic or homophobic issues.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that simply existing is now a political statement nowadays. What the fuck Nintendo.

I am hard on CDPR on here and I am going to be the same with Nintendo if they dont straighten this up.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day) - derailing serious topic with platform wars and antagonizing other members
2019 and the internet, ladies and gentlemans. so cringy
I guess the Sony stans needed a decent reason to bash Nintendo. This is probs a employee mistake like with that one Splatoon 2 incident. If nintendo is so anti lbgtq+ then why is splatoon mega pro towards it.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the right answer is to accuse a bunch of people who were upset at this of just being upset because it's a certain company, right?

Nintendo needs your defense, get your sword and shield ready.

maybe like, people shouldnt start spreading fuck that company before knowing exactly what happened, maybe. just a thought. Reacting so viciously so fast, leads to me believe there's some sort of agendas here, and not all have to do with trans rights.

Im a nintendo fan yeah, what about it? its not ilegal yet, is it? i wouldnt defend homophobia or transphobia of any kind, regardless.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the Sony stans needed a decent reason to bash Nintendo. This is probs a employee mistake like with that one Splatoon 2 incident. If nintendo is so anti lbgtq+ then why is splatoon mega pro towards it.
Are you actually implying anyone actually mad at an instance of a clearly transphobic bit of content management policies, regardless of whether or not that reflects any known larger stance, is doing so because of console warring? Really?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
imagine passing an oportunity to distill your hate for a freaking video game manufacturer though. "so backwards" "not surprising" "stuck in the 80s"

While some certainly have used this as an opportunity to console war, please don't tar everyone with the same brush. Even as someone who was critical of the overreactions, I completely understand why people would with regards to a topic such as trans rights or just human rights in general.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hugely disappointed by most stuff in this game, but even in this state, I can say this was mostly something made by one mod and not a general company policy by Nintendo. Hope this is fixed and doesn't happen again.

Like i know from the last threads that you have a huge axe to grind with Altus and anything associated with it, buy like wow.
What's the problem in pointing this out? They did work with a company with games full of homophobic and transphobic content. Kinda worth bringing it up when discussing the company's policies and beliefs.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me, did they remove the racist garbage from the game?

They keep digging deeper and deeper with this bullshit.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
what is even happening any more why are we all trying to be front-line soldiers in the great console war of 2019
Companies aren't your friends. Nintendo needs to make this right. It's good that no other trans flag stage has seemingly been impacted, but even just one that's been cited as a "political statement" sets a dangerous precedent.
I really, really hope they make this right.