• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The rumour (which is likely true as Lego is a very leaky company) is that there's a whole bunch of sets ranging from the $3.99 ones (likely a blind-bag) to a $99.99 one.

My guess for the $99 one would be either Bowser or Peach's castle with around 800-or-so pieces. Licensed properties rarely have the best price-per-piece ratio so that would make it fall in line with themes like Star Wars and Marvel.
That would be alright. Maybe if they expand to Zelda we'll get something more extravagant then.

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
The rumour (which is likely true as Lego is a very leaky company) is that there's a whole bunch of sets ranging from the $3.99 ones (likely a blind-bag) to a $99.99 one.

My guess for the $99 one would be either Bowser or Peach's castle with around 800-or-so pieces. Licensed properties rarely have the best price-per-piece ratio so that would make it fall in line with themes like Star Wars and Marvel.

I'm worried we might get an even worse ratio than usual with licensed themes if there's a lot of new molds. They cost thousands upon thousands of dollars to produce.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Finally!!

It feels
That would be alright. Maybe if they expand to Zelda we'll get something more extravagant then.

There's a very well done submission on LEGO Ideas currently for the Horse Stables from BOTW that has already made it to the "In Review" phase. Usually this is where license proposals that can't work get shot down, but now that LEGO x Super Mario is a thing, this actually seems like it could make it the whole way! Very exciting times. LEGO Minecraft was the first winner of LEGO Ideas and paved the way to the theme we see today.

Uk1zVUL.jpg

ideas.lego.com

The Legend of Zelda: BotW Stables

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable Here is my first submission for LEGO ideas. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable. I chose ...

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally!!

It feels

There's a very well done submission on LEGO Ideas currently for the Horse Stables from BOTW that has already made it to the "In Review" phase. Usually this is where license proposals that can't work get shot down, but now that LEGO x Super Mario is a thing, this actually seems like it could make it the whole way, for those interested in Zelda.

Uk1zVUL.jpg

ideas.lego.com

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable Here is my first submission for LEGO ideas. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable. I chose ...
Yeah I saw that one, looks great.

My dream set would be Windfall Island :)

Plum

May 31, 2018

There is a chance of that happening right now, actually. This, alongside 12 other sets, is currently in the 3rd review wave of 2019:

resize:800:450

...but there's still a small chance that it's actually going to become an actual set. Maybe with the new Nintendo partnership it could work but I personally doubt it.

I'm worried we might get an even worse ratio than usual with licensed themes if there's a lot of new molds. They cost thousands upon thousands of dollars to produce.

That is true.

However I think that things may not be too bad as the Lego Minions sets, which have completely new moulds for the Minions on top of being a lucrative license, are actually very well-priced. This set with 3 minions of various sizes is $49.99 for nearly 900 pieces for example. Also the Simpsons had a blind-bag run that didn't cost any extra compared to the regular blind-bags despite every single character having an entirely unique head mould.

There's also the chance that they'd do what they did with the recent Toy Story sets and forgo unique moulds (Toy Story 3 sets had them) to just make the characters in the regular Lego style, with the thing teased right now being a kind of gimmicky outlier.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
So, if there are a range of Lego kits, what the hell is the unholy screen Lego Mario hybrid in the tease?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally!!

It feels

There's a very well done submission on LEGO Ideas currently for the Horse Stables from BOTW that has already made it to the "In Review" phase. Usually this is where license proposals that can't work get shot down, but now that LEGO x Super Mario is a thing, this actually seems like it could make it the whole way! Very exciting times. LEGO Minecraft was the first winner of LEGO Ideas and paved the way to the theme we see today.

Uk1zVUL.jpg

ideas.lego.com

Imagine a BotW Hyrule Castle set

nutbutton.jpg

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is Mario sets were swiftly removed if submitted to Ideas.

Which makes sense, I don't believe you can submit submissions for themes that LEGO already has a contract out on and you also can't submit an idea for a license or property that has already won previously. If I recall correctly this is why so many NASA / Apollo sets were swatted down after the Saturn V.

I can see how it's disappointing if you were one of the creators submitting Mario ideas, but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes and companies can't always be forthcoming about unreleased products, etc, especially when partnerships and licensing is involved.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally!!

It feels

Uk1zVUL.jpg

ideas.lego.com

Whoa

does this come with instructions or a pieces guide?

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa

does this come with instructions or a pieces guide?

As of now, I don't believe it does as it would only hurt the creator down the line if the set is actually optioned as a set, but if they don't win, there's usually a good chance they'll make it available through other channels themselves.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Someone probably posted this already but I'd be totally cool if that rumored new Paper Mario game turned out to be a LEGO Mario game.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im suprised nobody's brought up Nintendo's own Lego variant in N&B blocks. Cool that it's come full circle.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
If its not a game then scalpers from the coronavirus gonna be all over the Mario lego sets. 1000 dollar lego sets coming soon to an ebay near you. I never get excited for Nintendo non video game products because I know a bunch of people are going to scalp the hell out of it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd much rather a Lego game that isnt Mario. Lego Zelda, Lego Splatoon, or even Lego Xenoblade Chronicles X

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For clarity, the yellow buttons next to the ?-block screen appear to be 1x1 round tiles, meaning the width of Mario's torso is about the length of the classic 2x4 brick. Mario's ears also appear to be 1x1 round tiles.

There's definitely no room for a Switch to fit in there, so the screens are very likely built in.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
A Lego-themed Mario RPG would be the dream, for me, at least.

I hope that maybe this fits what Emily said about RPG Switch fans eating good, this year.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I will say the fact that Nintendo of America not LEGO posted it means it's more likely it could be a switch game as well not just a toy

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth the same site that has the list of potential sets also measured the Mario by interpolating the pre-existing blocks it's standing on, and it's way too small for a Switch, at around 7-8 cm (or 3 inches) tall. This also explains why the pixels look so huge - it's basically a macro video

My personal guess? It'll act as an interactive element of a board game, where you bonk Mario on the head and the screen in the middle rolls a dice etc.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I did some light questioning of a friend at LEGO and they said "I can't say anything but we're all really excited"

Do with that what you will