• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It ain't coming close to it's software total. PS4's WW software sales in 2018 were miles ahead of the switch. 2019 i can't see it closing the gap.
Software is impacted by established userbase, there's just no way a fledgling 20m+ base can compete with a more mature and peaking 70m+ one.

If you want to compare software you should really do it aligned although I don't know if we have those figures?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Software is impacted by established userbase, there's just no way a fledgling 20m+ base can compete with a more mature and peaking 70m+ one.

If you want to compare software you should really do it aligned although I don't know if we have those figures?
I 100% agree it's not a fair battle. But it's why the Switch won't be dominating the market this year. Yes it should be the top selling console but the market involves more then just hardware and the software side of things this year will be heavily in the PS4's favour. Even in 2020 the ps4 should sell more software.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I 100% agree it's not a fair battle. But it's why the Switch won't be dominating the market this year. Yes it should be the top selling console but the market involves more then just hardware and the software side of things this year will be heavily in the PS4's favour. Even in 2020 the ps4 should sell more software.
2020 I'm not sure. By that point Switch should have a big enough base (60m+) it might be more competitive on a mainstream scale. We'll also have to see how PS4's early post-cycle goes: if it thrives as a budget option like PS1/PS2 or falls off a cliff like PSP/PS3. Lots of variables up in the air and probably too many to be making any definitive statements imo.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It ain't coming close to it's software total. PS4's WW software sales in 2018 were miles ahead of the switch. 2019 i can't see it closing the gap.

Well this thread is about HW sales not about SW sales.
Also comparing sales of sofwtare of platforms where one have few times bigger install base dont makes too much sense, If you want to compare software you should really do it aligned.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Well this thread is about HW sales not about SW sales.
Also comparing sales of sofwtare of platforms where one have few times bigger install base dont makes too much sense, If you want to compare software you should really do it aligned.
I know what the thread is about and I assessed the hardware issue. I then elaborated on my post and addressed the wider market this year. The ps4 may be outsold this year but it's position on the market will be solid.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I can see it. But only really if Days Gone and Dreams is the full PS4 exclusive lineup.

If something wild like Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, or FFVII (fat chance) comes out this year, PS4 will be on top again.

Oct 26, 2017
I can see it. But only really if Days Gone and Dreams is the full PS4 exclusive lineup.

If something wild like Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, or FFVII (fat chance) comes out this year, PS4 will be on top again.
The Switch is likely to outsell the PS4 for 2018 when it only had Smash and Pokemon at the end. The PS4 has already peaked and is in decline. Nothing will help it beat out the Switch for 2019, a new system that's only going to sell even better this year. The PS4 is too old and with a library too diverse for those games to help the PS4 sell better. That's just how consoles sell. They'll sell better and better till they peak and then sales begin to decline

Not to mention, that this is forgetting that Nintendo will have their own heavy hitters for this year, such as Pokemon and Animal Crossing

Oct 26, 2017
Likely based on what? The PS4 has been outselling the Switch practically all year. I'm sure the Switch sold the most in December, but I doubt how likely it is that it sold the most in 2018.
The gap is small enough that the Switch could have closed it with December alone. It's pretty likely, according to Benji, that it outsold the PS4 and XB1 put together in December. Every other month the PS4 won wasn't by any significant margin whereas the Switch won December by a huge one

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The gap is small enough that the Switch could have closed it with December alone. It's pretty likely, according to Benji, that it outsold the PS4 and XB1 put together in December. Every other month the PS4 won wasn't by any significant margin whereas the Switch won December by a huge one

In America, maybe. In Japan, definitely. Worldwide? I'm gonna have to see the receipts.

Oct 26, 2017
In America, maybe. In Japan, definitely. Worldwide? I'm gonna have to see the receipts.
I suppose we'll just have to see then but it's not as if it's been selling poorly elsewhere. Not to mention, Nintendo projected a higher sales target for the Switch than Sony did for the PS4. I don't see why it'd be hard to believe, seeing as the PS4 has already peaked and is in decline whereas the Switch is only just starting to hit its stride. I mean, likewise, I might as well ask for proof that the PS4 outsold the Switch in 2018

The PS4 is on paced to sell as much as PS2 software wise. It just has all the big games.
But what did that have to do with hardware sales?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Here, from earlier in this thread:

I mean it's likely but not sure bet yet until we get shipment data for holiday quarter (at the end of this month)

so far:

Worldwide shipments

PS4
Q1 2018 : 2,5M
Q2 2018 : 3,2M
Q3 2018 : 3,9M
Q4 2018 : ?

Switch
Q1 2018 : 2,93M
Q2 2018 : 1,88M
Q3 2018 : 3,19M
Q4 2018 : ?

PS4 has lead of 1.6 million at the end of Q3..

Switch likely shipped somewhere around 11M in Q4, PS4 likely shipped ~9M or so. We won't know until the end of this month but it's going to be quite close.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose we'll just have to see then but it's not as if it's been selling poorly elsewhere. Not to mention, Nintendo projected a higher sales target for the Switch than Sony did for the PS4. I don't see why it'd be hard to believe, seeing as the PS4 has already peaked and is in decline whereas the Switch is only just starting to hit its stride. I mean, likewise, I might as well ask for proof that the PS4 outsold the Switch in 2018

But what did that have to do with hardware sales?
I was responding to post about software.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a similar prediction last January for 2018.

We'll know if I was right on Jan 22nd.

Switch to lead the console market – Nintendo Switch exceeded the expectations of many in both quality and quantity of released content, as well as sales in 2017. I expect this momentum to carry over into 2018, and Switch to both sell the most hardware units as well as generate the most software revenues at retail over the coming year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I made a similar prediction last January for 2018.

We'll know if I was right on Jan 22nd.

Switch to lead the console market – Nintendo Switch exceeded the expectations of many in both quality and quantity of released content, as well as sales in 2017. I expect this momentum to carry over into 2018, and Switch to both sell the most hardware units as well as generate the most software revenues at retail over the coming year.

If I'm not mistaken, the other analyst quoted in the OP is speaking in terms of worldwide sales while you're referring to US sales. Your 2018 prediction was also referring just to the US, right? Based on what sales insiders have been saying about December it seems like you're going to be right, at least in terms of hardware sales.

Worldwide sales are gonna be a bit closer but still should wind up in favor of Switch.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
I think it all depends on release dates for Sony games. If they drop two biggies, like Last of Us Part 2 and or Death Stranding/Tsushima and some spicy bundles, they can compete still. I don't see them holding everything that was announced for PS5 straight up. So far we have only Days Gone and Dreams (?) confirmed for this year? At to that two biggies and Sony would have a hell of a lineup for this year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, the other analyst quoted in the OP is speaking in terms of worldwide sales while you're referring to US sales. Your 2018 prediction was also referring just to the US, right? Based on what sales insiders have been saying about December it seems like you're going to be right, at least in terms of hardware sales.

Worldwide sales are gonna be a bit closer but still should wind up in favor of Switch.

Yeah, I'm only authorized to speak to the US.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think it all depends on release dates for Sony games. If they drop two biggies, like Last of Us Part 2 and or Death Stranding/Tsushima and some spicy bundles, they can compete still. I don't see them holding everything that was announced for PS5 straight up. So far we have only Days Gone and Dreams (?) confirmed for this year? At to that two biggies and Sony would have a hell of a lineup for this year.

All they need is one to move lots of units in 2019. TLOU2 or Death Stranding. If they drop both in the same year (unlikely it's either in 2019) I don't see how any other platform competes.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All they need is one to move lots of units in 2019. TLOU2 or Death Stranding. If they drop both in the same year (unlikely it's either in 2019) I don't see how any other platform competes.

You think those two games would cause the PS4 to sell more in its 7th year than it sold in its 6th year?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think a lot of people are hedging their bets on people buying PS4s for TLoU2, GoT, or any other PS4 exclusive...and they're wrong. Those people who want to play those games, likely already own a PS4. The system has been out for 6 years. The aren't going to explode sales wise, unless Sony drops the price to $199 in the first half of 2019 and bundles aggressively.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I won't be surprised we see a sharper decline than expected in PS4 sales next year. The system did incredibly well, but at some point there is a decline. I've see many systems having a PS4 or 3DS like decline that lasted years. I expect a sharp decline for the PS4 the same way the PS3/360 dropped at the end of last gen.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Together? The follow up to The Last of Us and the spiritual successor to Metal Gear Solid? Yeah, it's in the realm of possibility.

That would be absurdly unprecedented but I guess anything's possible!

I kinda doubt Death Stranding will be a 2019 release though so we probably won't ever find out. No idea about TLOU2.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean, both are going to be huge (TLOU2 much bigger than Death Stranding I think), but you are maybe underselling what Animal Crossing and a new generation Pokémon do for a system. While I think that there is a chance that TLOU2, if it blows up even bigger than I imagine (that is, over 30 million units sold on PS4), will keep the PS4 steady or slightly up (which I imagine would end up meaning around 18-19 million units), but I doubt that would be enough to beat what is expected to be Switch' best year of its life (and should be well over 20 million).

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 is $299 entering it's 6th year. I think I know how Sony can stop a huge decline.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I know what the thread is about and I assessed the hardware issue. I then elaborated on my post and addressed the wider market this year. The ps4 may be outsold this year but it's position on the market will be solid.

Jesus Christ.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, both are going to be huge (TLOU2 much bigger than Death Stranding I think), but you are maybe underselling what Animal Crossing and a new generation Pokémon do for a system. While I think that there is a chance that TLOU2, if it blows up even bigger than I imagine (that is, over 30 million units sold on PS4), will keep the PS4 steady or slightly up (which I imagine would end up meaning around 18-19 million units), but I doubt that would be enough to beat what is expected to be Switch' best year of its life (and should be well over 20 million).

I expect the Switch to actually win 2019, since we can safely assume AC and Pokemon are coming for sure. I just think TLOU2 and Death Stranding in the same year would be monstrous, especially with whatever 3rd party bundles Sony puts out. Hypothetically speaking.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I expect the Switch to actually win 2019, since we can safely assume AC and Pokemon are coming for sure. I just think TLOU2 and Death Stranding in the same year would be monstrous, especially with whatever 3rd party bundles Sony puts out. Hypothetically speaking.

There is also the issue of Sony is closer to reaching a saturation point for PS4 than Nintendo is anywhere near with Switch. PS4 has a huge installed base and most of the people looking forward to TLOU2 and Death Stranding likely already own a PS4. Whereas I would expect AC and a new Pokemon to pull more gamers that don't already own the system, and just in general there is a larger base of people who might buy a Switch but don't yet have one then there is that might buy a PS4 and don't yet have them.

Perhaps maybe if Sony bundled PS4 and PSVR for a really good price and VR had some more killer apps and public push.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Together? The follow up to The Last of Us and the spiritual successor to Metal Gear Solid? Yeah, it's in the realm of possibility.
While I think both games will sell extremely well, at that point I'm not sure anything besides a decent price drop can increase hardware sales that much tbh. On it's 7th year the PS4 will likely be close to it's saturation point + having to deal with the PS5 coming in + Switch at full speed.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
I doubt either drop this year, and I wouldn't expect the same returns if they both came out in 2020. I'm just saying hypothetically.

I don't know where this confidence these games won't drop in 2019 comes from. I haven't seen a single comment from Sony about it.

I sort of understand why people think Death Stranding won't be coming out because Kojima (though they announced it back in 2016, so practically four years by the end of 2019 - without having to work on an engine), but I can see it by the end of this year. As for the TLoU Part 2, Naughty Dog is probably one of the most product efficient developers out there, if you look at their release schedule, they put a game out at least once every two years since 1996 (last one was Lost Legacy in 2017, so math checks out) and didn't hold the first one to launch together with the PS4 either.

To me, Sony will release at least TLoU Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch doesn't launch a game since 2014) this year and the PS4 can absolute beastly at least repeat 2018's performance sales wise with nice bundles or a straight up price cut.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

I think also the digital is different. Doesn't Sony add all digital software and Nintendo only only the digital software with retail releases? I think I read that in the Media Create thread.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, outselling PS4 launch aligned is not the biggest challenge for any platform: Wii handily outsold PS4 launch aligned for years, but then PS4 stole ahead when the Wii faltered in its later years. For Switch to outsell PS4's lifetime years by the end of its life, it will need to maintain very strong sales for 5+ years at least. And that's why the PS4 is a beast: not because it has the biggest fiscal year shipments ever, but because it has maintained top-level fiscal year shipments for many years.

I wonder if Nintendo will bring out another DS handheld along side the Switch at some point, or just stay with the one hybrid - if they do stay with the one console, Switch should easily keep up with PS4, if they release a handheld as well then all bets are off.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

The only times I can think of when something like this has happened would be Pokémon on the gameboy and Kinect on 360. I don't see either game being anywhere in the same universe as those.

That being said, it could be a great reason to upgrade to a Pro and those count as new unit sales. So who knows.

Not as funny as you thinking UK sales are indicating anything for thre global market.

I can't think of anything more bizarre on this forum than the frequent threads that try to extrapolate global trends by looking at UK sales. It's so dumb.