• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Continued pattern of system wars and trolling
Either post sources or a mod should hand you a ban. That's multiple threads you are posting like this as facts without sources. Also a mod should check you for being an alt account because I'm pretty sure you are Saucer

I don't who Saucer is or why you're comparing me to them but you seem to have a lot of anger issues to request a ban of someone without a shred of proof.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
2019's lineup will be a lot stronger than 2018's - although they probably lack a juggernaut like 2017's super mario odyssey or 2018's smash bros.

that said, animal crossing and pokemon will be huge. a price drop and/or revision will also push switches into more homes, and more switches into existing homes.
how come you're not counting pokemon 2019 as a juggernaut??

in terms of expanding userbase, even AC might count too.
Not many games so far will do more for increasing the woman and children userbase than AC

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Seems logical, but it won't stay that way when PS5/X2 release. Nintendo needs to have something in store when that happens, whether it's a hardware revision or something else.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Reasonably sure Switch is the highest selling console of the year for 2018.

I mean it's likely but not sure bet yet until we get shipment data for holiday quarter (at the end of this month)

so far:

Worldwide shipments

PS4
Q1 2018 : 2,5M
Q2 2018 : 3,2M
Q3 2018 : 3,9M
Q4 2018 : ?

Switch
Q1 2018 : 2,93M
Q2 2018 : 1,88M
Q3 2018 : 3,19M
Q4 2018 : ?

PS4 has lead of 1.6 million at the end of Q3..

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I know in general, a lot of people on here seem to feel like the Switch's coming out on top next year is not a given. However, i think given the PS4 entering its sunset years, the Switch's momentum accelerating, and Nintendo having some heavy hitters packed for the coming 12 months, the Switch should end up comfortably in the lead.

Really? I'm a bit surprised most people don't think that's a given. It's likely going to be the best selling console this year too, I'm not sure why people think it won't do better next year.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well of course, end of ps4 and X1 gen, nintendo probably reaching their peak this year, should be an easy win for them. i wonder how will 2020 go however. with next gen consoles releasing (sony even possibly in early 2020) and switch in its 4th year i am interested to see who will sell more.
There is never a guarantee that a new console will sell gangbusters. Unless it craters, the Switch will probably dominate 2019 and 2020, but 2021 will start seeing its momentum die off naturally, while new consoles start picking up.
This year will be crucial to seeing how Nintendo handles keeping the Switch relevant with a new model and continuing to grow support from third parties.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seems logical, but it won't stay that way when PS5/X2 release. Nintendo needs to have something in store when that happens, whether it's a hardware revision or something else.
That's still a long way away, and we already have whispers of a new revision for late 2019 or early 2020.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
how come you're not counting pokemon 2019 as a juggernaut??

in terms of expanding userbase, even AC might count too.
Not many games so far will do more for increasing the woman and children userbase than AC

i was figuring in a little bit of pokemon fatigue with let's go having released in 2018. i know it's a different thing but if gen 8 looks the same, then it might turn off the casual players who bought back into the series with sun/moon.

this would be the first console true-gen pokemon game so it's a wildcard in that regard. it could do 14-15m as usual, or clear the 20m mark.

but more importantly, smo and smash sold switches. not sure if the pokemon fanbase is mostly on 3ds still or if they already bought in. that's why i'm unsure about the effect let's go had on future sales.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
People keep forgetting Europe exists and PS4 had discount there this time. We don't know yet if Switch has outsold PS4 2018 worldwide yet.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's likely but not sure bet yet until we get shipment data for holiday quarter (at the end of this month)

so far:

Worldwide shipments

PS4
Q1 2018 : 2,5M
Q2 2018 : 3,2M
Q3 2018 : 3,9M

Switch
Q1 2018 : 2,93M
Q2 2018 : 1,88M
Q3 2018 : 3,19M

PS4 has lead of 1.6 million.

If we assume Switch will have a Q4 of at least 10M (seems like the floor to me) what do we expect the PS4 to do in Q4?

EDIT: Or put another way, what did PS4 do last Q4?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Pokemon + Animal Crossing = $$$
Yup.

TLOU2 will push PS4 numbers for anyone who hasn't jumped onboard already, but I don't know what else is gonna be that big of a draw. Microsoft is gonna ride Gamepass while they ready themselves for next-gen.

But Nintendo is only coming up to their 2-year anniversary. There are still tons of franchises they have yet to really exploit on Switch.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I still dont quite get why Pachter is included in these predictions or how anybody can take him serious.
He gave himself a A+ for his prediction of Nintendo not hitting its 20m goal(despite there still being 3 months left in the FY), and saying they will sell 13m, while literally every other analyst says they will land between 18-21m.

It kinda diminishes the other analysts when they get featured in an article with that joke.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Only of 2019? There is no stopping this train, its been doing these numbers with Console Nintendo flagships, Handheld Nintendo is entering the ring this year in a huge way, and Handheld style price cuts and a revision should also be on the way. I feel we truly have no idea just what kinda of juggernaut year this will be for Ninty.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The next two years will be key. Nintendo still has plenty of time to screw this up!

2019 will for sure be a hell of a year for Switch software. They left me starving in 2018, but this year is sure to deliver (already greatly anticipating Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Retro's new title, the rumored Zelda, and Pokemon). 2020 will get weird with the new consoles likely launching for Sony and MS, but all three seem to be following a different path in the market.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I don't who Saucer is or why you're comparing me to them but you seem to have a lot of anger issues to request a ban of someone without a shred of proof.

You've been going through many threads posting the same thing and phrasing it in a way as facts without providing proof. Also you joined era in Septmeber and you have posted nothing but fanboy drivel. I'm sure I will catch my first ban ever for calling you out like that, because that's the current state of Era. Letting fanboys drown the site.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be. Switch is one of the best systems of all time already. Nintendo finally hit on the gimmick that actually works because it makes playing games EASIER instead of harder.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
for sure it will. ps4 sales will slow down, xbox is just blegh at this point it won't ever sell. switch is the new hotness and when that new model comes in, it will sell even more.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Reasonably sure Switch is the highest selling console of the year for 2018.
i dont know if this is proof or not but in playstation's video about 2018 recap they did have a "the world's best selling console of 2018" in there.

could be that it is wrong of course.

EDIT: oh its actually not the whole 2018, oops. so yea we will know probably next month when they will reveal the financial quarter results.

Last edited:

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
On topic, I agree with the Analysts. It's should be a healthy margin as well.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
Take a shot every time Phantom Thief makes a positive thread about Nintendo Switch or Nintendo General.

You probably get drunk within 30 mins.

Joke Context: (He makes a lot of threads)

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still dont quite get why Pachter is included in these predictions or how anybody can take him serious.
He gave himself a A+ for his prediction of Nintendo not hitting its 20m goal(despite there still being 3 months left in the FY), and saying they will sell 13m, while literally every other analyst says they will land between 18-21m.

It kinda diminishes the other analysts when they get featured in an article with that joke.

LOL, I just noticed that. They sure are tracking for 13m this year.... wow.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
2019 will for sure be a hell of a year for Switch software. They left me starving in 2018, but this year is sure to deliver (already greatly anticipating Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Retro's new title, the rumored Zelda, and Pokemon). 2020 will get weird with the new consoles likely launching for Sony and MS, but all three seem to be following a different path in the market.

first time hearing about the zelda rumor. what's that about?

also 2019 should be the year switch shipments surpass xbox one shipments. it bodes well for third-party support in the future and on future iterations of the switch.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The PS4 is a fucking zombie. Sony will have to take it around back and shoot it if they want it to stop selling at this point.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know if this is proof or not but in playstation's video about 2018 recap they did have a "the world's best selling console of 2018" in there.

Sony has no idea how many consoles Nintendo has shipped in Q4 of 2018, so they can't know that yet. Maybe they're comparing it to stationary consoles only? Or only some arbitrary period of time like January to September?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
If we assume Switch will have a Q4 of at least 10M (seems like the floor to me) what do we expect the PS4 to do in Q4?

EDIT: Or put another way, what did PS4 do last Q4?

All Q4s (Calendar Year) since launch for PS4:

2013: 4.5 million (launch)
2014: 6.4 million
2015: 8.4 million
2016: 9.7 million
2017: 9.0 million

Personally expecting something like 8.3 million so Switch need 10 million (last year was 7.23 million) to pass PS4 shipments for 2018.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
i was figuring in a little bit of pokemon fatigue with let's go having released in 2018. i know it's a different thing but if gen 8 looks the same, then it might turn off the casual players who bought back into the series with sun/moon.

this would be the first console true-gen pokemon game so it's a wildcard in that regard. it could do 14-15m as usual, or clear the 20m mark.

but more importantly, smo and smash sold switches. not sure if the pokemon fanbase is mostly on 3ds still or if they already bought in. that's why i'm unsure about the effect let's go had on future sales.
only If Pokemon looks really bad, I could see it underperforming.
But imo it just has to be mediocre, and it will accomplish the tasks of expanding the userbase and selling switches.

I assume by the time Pokemon comes out, the price will be reduced.
And I assume animal crossing will be out. Which will start bringing the kids and female base, which I don't think are fully there yet.
Pkmn just basically has to exist to capitalize at that point

In terms of fatigue, I think it's true in Japan, but WW, it still seems to be doing okay.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

no you see that means it's the world's best-selling console for the players. you have to read the full thing.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
New gen Pokémon and Animal Crossing, plus with Sony and MS literally out of the way since they're busy preparing their new shit, Switch has free road now to become the highest selling console of the year.

Then in 2020, Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 and Odyssey 2 to compete with PS5 and Xboxtwo launch lineup. Let's goooooooooo

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

If they drop in 2020, that is actually the best time for Nintendo to have to counter them. It will have been three years since BotW and Odyssey, which is plenty of time to come up with more iterative sequels to those two mega hits. Then you have Mario Kart 9 that they've probably been working on and waiting for the right time to release, and the potential for a new 2D Mario, possibly in a new style. Of course the other potential releases so far off are myriad, but those are some of the big guns that can easily be imagined being ready in time to counter the release of the new competition.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has no idea how many consoles Nintendo has shipped in Q4 of 2018, so they can't know that yet. Maybe they're comparing it to stationary consoles only? Or only some arbitrary period of time like January to September?
That image would be bragging about sales in CY18 so Q4 2018 wouldn't matter. However against no clue if they are right or what they are counting.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All Q4s (Calendar Year) since launch for PS4:

2013: 4.5 million (launch)
2014: 6.4 million
2015: 8.4 million
2016: 9.7 million
2017: 9.0 million

Personally expecting something like 8.3 million so Switch need 10 million (last year was 7.23 million) to pass PS4 shipments for 2018.

Ah thanks for the numbers. Yeah, it's gonna be very close then. I personally expect Switch shipments to be closer to 11M (since otherwise I don't see any chance of them hitting their FY goal) but I guess we don't have too long to wait.

That image would be bragging about sales in CY18 so Q4 2018 wouldn't matter. However against no clue if they are right or what they are counting.

Yes, and I'm talking about CY 2018. Nintendo has not released their CY 2018 Q4 shipments yet (October 2018- December 2018) so Sony would not have that information.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Actually, NOT being the highest selling console when the two competitors are on their way out would be worrying. Nintendo will probably dominate for the next two years, and even longer if they pursue an iterative approach and are successful with it.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
Nintendo and PlayStation head to head software wise going be interesting both have a very strong line up.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boom. There we go. Return of the King.

It's also likely to top sales worldwide too in 2018 since it's ahead in the US and Japan.

I'm happy when Nintendo is doing well in the markets, as with the Wii and their previous handhelds. But I'm sad that the actual great software output on their systems will continue to be limited to mostly first-party releases and indie ports. I really wouldn't mind making a Nintendo console my only console, but as long as they continue to put out under-powered systems that third-party library just isn't going to happen.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, especially when the Pro version comes out, that's when I'll be getting it

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Pokémon fans are super thirsty for an actually new game in the series. Ultra SM were just an enhanced version, and Let's Go are the second remake of an old game. And this title will be a perfect storm on every level (userbase, price, console revision, general appeal, marketing synergy with movies).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I'm a bit surprised most people don't think that's a given. It's likely going to be the best selling console this year too, I'm not sure why people think it won't do better next year.
Yep.
Wasnt PS4 the highest selling console in the UK?
Yes. Worldwide? It seems it may be the Switch.

That ad (or that image at least) was made weeks/months ago though. They wouldn't have known.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already did it in 2018. I'm 100% down with a switch pro this year too.

Nintendo knows that probably half of their 3ds sales are people who bought at least 2 3ds systems. Switch pro wouldn't be niche like with MS and Sony, it would just be the new default system with the older model being the discount model for a while until it's discontinued in a couple years. There won't be switch pro exclusives, just the base system will have crappier performance. I could see the base switch hardware being revised too to a cheaper smaller model that goes for $199. Pro will be $299.