• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Pokémon 8, Animal Crossing, Switch Lite, etc. Also the natural curve for most successful consoles, they usually peak in year 3.

I didn't know Pokémon 8 released this year. The switch lite is still just a rumor right ?
I wonder what kind of impact the announcement of a ps5 or Xbox would have on Nintendo's momentum.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know Pokémon 8 released this year. The switch lite is still just a rumor right ?
I wonder what kind of impact the announcement of a ps5 or Xbox would have on Nintendo's momentum.
Probably not much. Switch's massive success didn't seem to impact PS4 or XBO at all, in fact both actually accelerated in sales after Switch launched. It seems like Switch and the X86 twins are selling pretty independently and not cannibalizing each other, despite a high degree of cross-ownership.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Probably not much. Switch's massive success didn't seem to impact PS4 or XBO at all, in fact both actually accelerated in sales after Switch launched. It seems like Switch and the X86 twins are selling pretty independently and not cannibalizing each other, despite a high degree of cross-ownership.

I'm thinking it would have an impact. With 50% of PS4 owners having a switch now other PS4 owners who might want a switch might have to choose between switch and a ps5

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking it would have an impact. With 50% of PS4 owners having a switch now other PS4 owners who might want a switch might have to choose between switch and a ps5
That's not really how it works. The greatest period for this sort of choice came already with Switch's early years. That when we saw primairily core adoption and more direct competition from PS4 Pro and One X upgrades. The back half of Switch's cycle will be targeting a wider more diversified audience, particularly the youth market. The sort of consumer who wants to get a $400+ PS5 day one isn't who Nintendo will be targeting primairily with a Switch at half that price by that point but they'll also still probably have their own "Pro" model around the same time for core users looking to upgrade. More likely PS5 will sell great and Switch will continue selling great, much like how now Switch sells great and PS4 continues to sell great.