• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Even if it can't it's a garbage excuse because it's not like Capcom couldn't design some new game with Switch in mind. They literally don't care.
this is my mind set... They are not forgiven until I get a new MH for switch.
They could make an iteration of all of their games on switch... but they don't

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'll never get why people only compare Switch sales to the Wii U/Wii and not the 3DS/DS. Part of what's happened by making Switch a hybrid is that they combined their console and handheld markets, so it makes no sense to remove their handhelds from the equation when comparing sales.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but the idea for making the thread singling out these particular markets likely came from the reddit post of the (nearly) exact same title, with a Filip-style word mix-around.
So it is more: Era -> GAF -> Reddit -> Era?

Either that or Phantom is just busy posting everywhere, which is possible.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well if we're gonna go to the source of the data rather than the template for the thread, then it would be NPD -> Era -> GAF -> Reddit -> Era.

Or it would go retailers -> NPD -> ...

But I mean the exact thread concept, which went GAF -> Reddit -> Era. I just thought it was funny is all.

And no, I doubt PT posts on GAF with an alt, or posts threads from GAF to Reddit under a different account name. But you're right, the (remote) possibility is there.

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see them do well. Not a system for me, but I understand it fulfills a section of the market not satisfied with the current gen.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Is Switch getting a secondary choice boost? As in, being the first choice by a few but secondary choice by the masses?
PS4+Switch
XB1+Switch
= insta win
?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Saying that Capcom doesn't care by now is a naive notion, they most likely do. They had completely written off the system pre-launch and didn't prepare for such a scenario, most of their resources are bound to projects that started years ago, on top of that, they also had certain partnerships with Sony this gen, which bound even more resources.

I'll never get why people only compare Switch sales to the Wii U/Wii and not the 3DS/DS. Part of what's happened by making Switch a hybrid is that they combined their console and handheld markets, so it makes no sense to remove their handhelds from the equation when comparing sales.

It's getting compared with current gen consoles right now, including market leader PS4.

Last edited:

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Unnecessary callouts based on console warring commentary
Oh Emilijo got banned. Again.

PlayStation propaganda on this site -1 for a while at least, because it's clear they're not gonna change.
Papacheeks, Lothars, Renfran and Thatguy will devide the extra work evenly between themselves, don't you worry.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, this is a rare instance of GAF -> Reddit -> Era

Well if we're gonna go to the source of the data rather than the template for the thread, then it would be NPD -> Era -> GAF -> Reddit -> Era.

Or it would go retailers -> NPD -> ...

But I mean the exact thread concept, which went GAF -> Reddit -> Era. I just thought it was funny is all.

And no, I doubt PT posts on GAF with an alt, or posts threads from GAF to Reddit under a different account name. But you're right, the (remote) possibility is there.
Came across this on Reddit but I did change the sources for Japan lol

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
That Capcom doesn't care by now is a naive notion. They had completely written off the system pre-launch and didn't prepare for such a scenario, most of their resources are bound to projects that started years ago.

It's getting compared with current gen consoles right now, including market leader PS4.
That's still on them. A good company would be preparing for all likely scenario including the opposite. It's not like there are hundreds of consoles out there where you honestly don't know what will happen. There are literally just three (PC, PS4/X1 and then the Switch).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
So are we reaching 20M or not?

Switch selling more than a 5 year console is not somthing so awesome tbh, and with KH3 and RE2 coming up and switch having anything else until the end of the FY , I actually see ps4 above in sales and Switch nor reaching their forecast
Neither of those games are system sellers really. They'll move some units but I expect a lot of people who want either game already have something to play it on.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
So are we reaching 20M or not?

Switch selling more than a 5 year console is not somthing so awesome tbh, and with KH3 and RE2 coming up and switch having anything else until the end of the FY , I actually see ps4 above in sales and Switch nor reaching their forecast
I say thay they will likely surpass it. Consoles tend to sell even better in their third year.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Neither of those games are system sellers really. They'll move some units but I expect a lot of people who want either game already have something to play it on.

The funny thing is that there's a very good chance NSMBU Deluxe will outsell both, if it has good legs it might outsell both combined in the long run.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
This just means that the hybrid model is a winning bet.

Hope it doesn't get dropped next "generation"

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The funny thing is that there's a very good chance NSMBU Deluxe will outsell both, if it has good legs it might outsell both combined in the long run.
I 100% agree, not that NSMBU didn't sell well originally but I think a lot of people slept on it with it being on WiiU so it's got a whole new market with the high attach rate for the Switch.

Not to deminish KH3 and RE2 which willl both sell really well, probably both garunteed at least 5 million. It's just that they are not going to move hardware with there being the KH collections and all the other RE games including VII already out there.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Nintendo Switch is on fire. It is going to have an even better 2019, with the competition focused on Next Gen, and software such as Animal Crossing and Pokemon Gen 8, it will probably do better than this year. Some may not be aware, but next year, the Switch will pass PS4 in unit sales in Japan in just its third year, and possibly pass XB1 WW sales as well - with a price drop it could simply dominate the year. Caveat - XB1 WW sales are a guess though because they moved to a different metric that makes it hard to get the actual numbers after losing so badly to PS4 earlier in the generation. It will also be interesting to see if it can maintain the momentum in 2020 when the competitors have moved on the next generation machines with much more powerful hardware

Personally I love mine, and pretty much buy all software on it these days, unless it is a PS4 exclusive or something. I believe there is a lot to be said about PS4 + Switch, XB1 + Switch. If you are ALWAYS the secondary console, that isn't a bad position to be in. What a recovery from the disaster that was the Wii U.

It will be interesting to see if a price drop actually happens, though I do not expect them to make the 20M mark - they will fall just short because of a slow start to 2018

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2018 was a banner year for the Switch, though I wouldn't count on it ever repeating said year. It might still do okay if it gets another Mario Kart game or whatever, but I don't think it'll do huge numbers like it did now since Smash was bound to be its biggest exclusive.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
2018 was a banner year for the Switch, though I wouldn't count on it ever repeating said year. It might still do okay if it gets another Mario Kart game or whatever, but I don't think it'll do huge numbers like it did now since Smash was bound to be its biggest exclusive.

I dunno animal crossing is huuuuugee with the casual crowd/ people who aren't into say smash Bros

Like the 3ds game sold over 10 million so I kinda expect sales to continue hitting it out of the park in 2019 too. Not to mention a new main line new generation Pokemon game is coming in too this year and those tend to sell 16-17 million copies. I feel like 2019 could be the switches biggest year

Oct 26, 2017
2019 is all but guaranteed to be a much better year than 2018. Comparable exclusives, in terms of selling power, with the likes of a new generation of Pokemon and Animal Crossing. More notable exclusives spread throughout the year, both from 1st and 3rd party. There's even more multiplatform support. Not to mention, it's the year for a price drop and revision. There's little chance the Switch already peaked

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That's the exact same kind of thing people were saying about 2017 12 months ago.

Smash Bros has never been the biggest exclusive on a Nintendo system and Switch hasn't even had an official price drop yet.

2019 will probably end bigger off the back of Animal Crossing + Pokémon.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thus far there is zero indication that it would, or that the RE Engine is even optimized for Switch.
With it running at 1080p @ 60 FPS on the Xbox One and needing to be scalable for stuff like, say, VR, I'd say it's more than likely. We've seen more demanding games come to the system

But I'll give you that the RE Engine probably isn't optimized on the Switch
Which is maddening as around Switch's announcement Capcom bragged to the press that they convinced Nintendo to change their hardware during development so that the RE engine could run on it

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

2019 will probably surpass 2018 with Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Fire Emblem & Luigi's Mansion. It's also the year where we should see more third-party announcements as they've had more time to prepare for the Switch success since it's release. Throw in a potential new version / price drop, and the fact most consoles peak in their third year and you have a recipe for a fantastic year.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...who's buying an. Box right now? That's more telling about the market saturation of ps4s and the how purely unattractive the Xbox suite is this holiday. Not taking this away from switch though. I think a lot of parents are buying it as the premium mobile/tablet device for their kids.
...Xbox took second place the last two months NPD I'm pretty sure, and has been doing pretty well for a while now.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Are they secondary if they are outselling both consoles combined? How about the opposite :p
50 people buy a PS4 as the main platform and a Switch at the side for Zelda.

30 people buy an XB1 as the main platform and a Switch at the side for Splatoon.

80 Switch gets sold. Switch were outselling PS4+XB1 combined. ;)

Bonus:
Since it's also like a portable some will have two or more Switch in the household. This is the case at my place.

= Nintendo wins ;)

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Animal Crossing and Pokemon will be very huge. And the combined selling power of exclusive games like Luigis Mansion, Demon x Machina, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and probably Metroid Prime 4 and/or Bayonetta 3, along with multiplatform games (like Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11, Final Fantasys, Dragons Dogma) and probably many unannounced games too.

Switch will easily sell better in 2019, obviously.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Beauty_and_The_Beast_PNG_Clipart.png

The true beast awakens from a long slumber.​

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
That's still on them. A good company would be preparing for all likely scenario including the opposite. It's not like there are hundreds of consoles out there where you honestly don't know what will happen. There are literally just three (PC, PS4/X1 and then the Switch).

They should have been more prepared to adapt to this scenario, but they obviously didn't plan it out and got caught by surprise, with most of their resources bound by other projects, with the consequence that they are now late to the party. That they are supposedly seeing Switchs worldwide success post-launch and deliberately choose not to care is nonsense though.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
That's the exact same kind of thing people were saying about 2017 12 months ago.
January 2018: "2017 was a banner year for the Switch, though I wouldn't count on it ever repeating said year. I don't think it'll do huge numbers like it did now since Zelda was bound to be its biggest exclusive."
January 2019: "2018 was a banner year for the Switch, though I wouldn't count on it ever repeating said year. I don't think it'll do huge numbers like it did now since Smash Bros. was bound to be its biggest exclusive."
January 2020: "2019 was a banner year for the Switch, though I wouldn't count on it ever repeating said year. I don't think it'll do huge numbers like it did now since Animal Crossing was bound to be its biggest exclusive"...?

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving it but where are all the exclusives and AAA third party's support? For being the best selling console the list of high profile games is super weak
None of the big third parties bet on Switch. When they saw the success they quickly put together ports that made sense for the platform. Hopefully 2019 and 2020 Switch will get some high profile games. Doom Eternal and Mortal Kombat are a good start.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
None of the big third parties bet on Switch. When they saw the success they quickly put together ports that made sense for the platform. Hopefully 2019 and 2020 Switch will get some high profile games. Doom Eternal and Mortal Kombat are a good start.
I really hope so! I'd even take some more ports of indie games I've already played. Shocked FTL and pyre aren't on there. I'm not expecting red dead redemption or anything, but even a few more high profile exclusives would sweeten an already sweet pot for me.

I'm playing Valkyria chronicles again for the 3rd time and not complaining but you see what I mean I hope .