• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it not be a port because of the very reason you just stated.

Are all multiplats ports now? Will Horizon Frozen Wilds be a port?
As I said, it would be silly to call it a port. It is a multiplatform game for the switch and WiiU or a Nintendo exclusive.
What I and probably the user I replied to meant was that BOTW was developed first only with the WiiU in mind and got delayed to release it on both platforms simultaneously. Edit: even when this wasn't reason they gave for the Delay at the time

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
If this was the 90s we'd be knee deep in revolutionary new hardware info and tech demos/game previews.

My NSW library is massive, but I only really played Odyssey.
I'll need to rethink my loyalty come next Nintendo console.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
The Switch is an amazing idea. At the time of the WiiU they tried it but the tech wasn't there. They truly nailed it with the Switch in what I sometimes thought would be logical for Nintendo to have. A killer handheld and a good console.. Hope the Switch is here to stay with only a 4K console update in the next few years. For me I think it is truly the greatest Nintendo device

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
It's probably my favorite system outside of the 3DS. I love collecting games for it even which I never did with other consoles. I'm probably not going to play Bendy and the Ink Machine but it got a Switch port so hell yeah

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I got my system on the launch night, went out at like 9pm to my local mall and chatted with some others for 2 hours. Time rolls around and I managed to get mine first, very pog experiance.

Got home and the eshop had issues so it took my money and didnt give me my game (Fast RMX), not pog. Went to sleep and waited for BOTW the next day.

After that mishap though, it was great. I've bought and played more games on Switch then any other console. Also expanded my gaming horizon and got into stuff like FPS's. Overall if the OS and NSO wasnt barebones itd be the best system ever for me personally.

Looking forward to Switch Pro, hopefully I enjoy it first year more then Switch, because I was very depressed and miserable back then.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't have a Switch yet, not out of lacking desire to get one, just not sure if I'd have the time to fully appreciate the games it has.

Usually I take my time with every game I get and given that I have a ton on PS4, so by the time I get round to Switch it'll probably no longer be in production and everyone will be on the next Nintendo system which I hope is called the Switchz.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
There's a new asterisk now. * It's because Covid helped them.

As if Covid hasn't pushed videogames sales as a whole.

"Don't forget the Switch only sells well because the PS5 and Series X aren't in stock."

I've seen that thrown around countless times in this very forum.

How do they explain the good sales the past 4 years then?

And they forget that the Switch (not lite) has had a shortage of stock too....

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant system, one of my all-time favourites. The only thing that bothers me is how Nintendo hasn't bothered to make any meaningful changes to the console user experience in that time. The e-shop and console UI remain largely unchanged from 2017, with some glaring issues and missing features which they don't seem to have any intention of fixing and it's a damn shame.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
fuuuuuuck, where does the time go. still remember the trees leak at the old place lmfao.

time for news on a successor soon, ninty.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Don't forget the Switch only sells well because the PS5 and Series X aren't in stock."

I've seen that thrown around countless times in this very forum.

How do they explain the good sales the past 4 years then?

And they forget that the Switch (not lite) has had a shortage of stock too....
They are probably in disbelief on how well the system sell. It's just a matter of time it will catch up PS4. The amount of salt will great on that day.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
With the library it has it has become the best console ever for me. I only game on Switch now. I don't need anything else and I can't get back to tv only consoles.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Got my system delivered to me on launch day, immediately unpacked it and starting playing Zelda. Amazing system with amazing games, it's already my personal favourite system of all time.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
And the build quality doesnt feel a day over 40.

Good console. It's my main portsble system now and actually has co-op games. There is though, despite it's incredible sales, a lot to be desired with the system.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I waited until the Animal Crossing bundle came out, so it FEELS new to me. I remember taking my wiiu to a party/reunion and showing botw to some friends years ago when it was new, so it's easy to notice how long ago that was if you associated BotW with Switch instead of the WiiU.

I hope we get an original topdown Zelda at some point, btw. Both the WiiU and 3DS were plagued by remasters to the point where you had access to the whole series (except for FSA) with both systems. As much as I enjoy that people get options to play them, I'd rather have something that feels like a followup to what Minish Cap, ALBW or the DS entries were doing back in the day, specially now that 3D Zelda is going out of it's way to ignore traditional gameplay.

Last edited:

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Pretty crazy to think at the 4 year mark for Wii U we already had the Switch reveal trailer and it was only a few months away from releasing.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I'll admit I didn't think Switch would be as successful as it was. I skipped over WiiU and wasn't feeling Nintendo at the time. Now that I have one I know I was wrong. BotW alone is worth the price.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017

I remember watching this trailer for the first time. It was amazing!!

Also it's weird how marketing in Nintendo changed from Wii U to Switch, seems like a totally different company right now. And I'm really happy with the Switch's success, one of the best consoles ever made.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Stellar first year but things got progressively worse after that, IMO. All in all it's probably my least favorite piece of gaming hardware ever. Only bought 7 games over 3-4 years. That said I'd be down for a successor because I buy everything(and Prime Trilogy/4 are coming). Such is my curse.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A wonderful system. And it will become the third best selling hardware of all time, only being beaten by PS2 and Nintendo DS.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I had a good time with the Nintendo Switch exclusives, and the console was a great travel companion to two longer work-related trips to China in 2017. I still find myself to be more of a traditional home console guy when I have the opportunity to choose between Switch and other consoles though. There are exceptions for some titles where the Switch just is a really good fit, e.g. something like Stardew Valley. I still enjoy Nintendo's exclusive games a lot. I am no fan of their online services, overpriced ports and negligence of NSO though.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
He was far from the only one. The reactions were pretty negative at the old place. Which tells you all you need to know about the predictive powers of a message board.

I bought one at launch but I have to admit that I was not expecting much. I just thought Zelda looked cool but I was not that hyped. The game ended up being the perfect way to showcase what makes the Switch special and now I much prefer hybrid gaming to a tethered console. It is just so much more convenient to play videogames this way and it really fits my lifestyle perfectly.

Also people shit on that launch year lineup but now looking back that was an amazing first year of software. Arguably the best year of software for the system to date.

Your post could have been my own. As for the bolded, looking back, not only do I agree with you, that is the type of launch year Sony and Microsoft wanted and perhaps could have had if not for Covid-19.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
The Switch might be my favorite gaming system of all time. I had wanted Nintendo to go handheld only for years because I hated motion controls and how anemic their first party release schedule was on most systems thanks to split development. The Switch essentially did that, but better, as it also allowed you to play on a TV with a (very good) pro controller. It had a fast and simple user interface and relatively short loading times (both incredibly important to me). It had good enough graphics. In early 2017 it looked like everything I could ever want in a Nintendo system and that's been true enough.

It hasn't completely lived up to the initial hype I had for it. The build quality of the system could be better and both the joycons and pro controller have significant issues (that I've mitigated by adding foam or tape, but not completely fixed). The release schedule might be somewhat better, but it's not great or even good some years. And I assumed in early 2017 that the virtual console would come at some point.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who owned a Wii U and hasn't bought a single one of the Wii U ports I think Switch is easily Nintendo's best console in a long time. Only one that really gives it a run for its money is the GameCube.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I don't know why you decided to post this colorful nostalgia bomb, but I sure do miss it.
Here's a start...my Mario Red edition...

6mnqOI8.jpg

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Wow, can't believe next gen started 4 years ago.

Love my switch. It's not got the most use recently, but there are many times when Switch is the only way I can get some gaming time to my self.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Thoughts :

• Great launch and early post launch line up
  • Consistent games being released and the ports were games that most switch owners never played
  • Good support still. Just bought BD II...
  • Can't wait for the refresh (Pro) model.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
A shame the last two years have been really slow regarding first-party internally developed software.
I expected more from a single Nintendo platform.
Hopefully, 2022 will be the new 2017.
Still, it's probably my most played Nintendo console thanks to indies.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I have been with Nintendo since the beginning of their home console business and I think the Switch is their greatest console. A library of originals that matches the Gamecube/SNES and a wealth of 3rd party games not seen since the SNES. If we get that rumored more powerful Switch with DLSS support to address its biggest weakness (the IQ of many of the games) then I think the Switch will be the GOAT hands down.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Lovely machine. I actually hesitated on getting one at launch since I only wanted BotW, but then my Wii U broke down so I sorta didn't have a choice, but it was so hype playing BotW on it, and whenever I felt like playing it portable, just snap-snap the joy-cons and lift it from the dock and.. voila!

And it's library has only grown more and more over the years.

My top 5 for the system is BotW, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Splatoon 2 and Odyssey.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I still think switch might be my fave form factor ever because of the flexibility. But the actual internals are dogshit and the age is showing and the new game output from Nintendo has been lacking.

Here's to another 4?

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Been a good ride so far, hopefully the next 4 (including any possible v2) wil be just as good.

My top 5 for the system so far:
1. BotW
2. Mario Odyssee
3. Hollow Knight
4. Diablo 3
5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

At the end of the month I fully expect MonHun Rise to enter the top 5.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
One of my favorite launches - had off of work the day of and the night before my parents were gone so I ordered a pizza and soaked in the hype. I had my system preordered from Amazon and had BotW preordered at GameStop.

It snowed the night before and I had an early morning dentist appointment. Then, went to Walmart to see what launch was like. Absolutely sold out of everything. Went to the gym and my system was delivered when I got home. Was absolutely blown away when I opened it. Such a neat concept. My launch system is still a champ. I have about 10 physical games and maybe double that in digital titles. Love the system. Excited to hear more about the Switch Pro or 2.0 or whatever it's called.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Still continues to pretty much outsell the other two every month. Kind of unfair right now because of supply issues with Xbox Series X/S & PS5, but even before that the Switch was selling gangbusters compared to the Xbox One and PS4. The Switch is a monster.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I was sold from the first look trailer. My partner and I watched the January stream together. I was able to get a preorder in right after the stream for both a grey and a neon system; I kept the grey for myself since I knew I'd be getting a neon for my partner once we were closer to Splatoon 2. My Switch actually showed up on March 2. I got things set up, then ran to Best Buy's midnight launch to get my copy of BotW and an amiibo. I bought Fast RMX and Shovel Knight on the eShop. I was absolutely blown away by it.

At this point it's my constant companion. My partner and I are in a long distance relationship, and we're both obsessed with Splatoon. Being able to bring the console with us to play at each other's place is a godsend. As someone who prefers handheld gaming, it's just about perfect. The joycon drift sucks, and I wish it had a little more power, but it's truly an incredible little system.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Already my favorite console. Straight up night and day with the Wii U.

I just really hope it gets more of Nintendo's back catalogue. How do you remove Virtual Console then not put in the effort to replace it?? This is the worst equivalent to Virtual Console out of any Nintendo system, and it's a shame.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a pretty big testament to how successful the Switch has been that four years after launch it still feels like relatively new hardware to me. It's basically a console that never stopped feeling like it was in its first year with how slick its design feels relative to its contemporaries. I guess the PS1 and 2 also pulled that off, as did the Xbox 360, though the PS1/360 both never felt like they took off until a year in.

Come to think of it this is true. It doesn't really feel old, or dated. The concept still feels novel and innovative, and really the biggest thing we've had are different color variations or the better battery life models (which are pretty indistinguishable aside from the battery life).

I remember when we saw that initial trailer showing someone playing zelda on the couch and then getting up, sliding his controllers off the handle and on the switch, lifting it up and continuing to play instantly. I thought to myself "surely thats fake, there is no way it would be that fast of a transition.

Sure enough it was not fake and it works exactly as advertised. There has been NOTHING like this. Hybrid consoles are such a brilliant idea and only nintendo could pull it off first.

Even though I dont play it as much as I used too I still fire it up for all the exclusives. Monster hunter looks INSANE on this thing and I cant wait for more games to come to it.

If a switch pro or whatever comes along I will be buying it day 1.

Yeah the announce trailer really was well done. Just over 30 seconds and you already understand what the system is about. Sure, it seems obvious now since we've had it out in the wild for 4 years, but it does convey it quickly. Undock the joycons from the "dog ear controller" (I can never remember the name of that thing XD), and slide them onto the Switch. Lift it all up and you have a portable system.

Compared to the confusion of the Wii U (the naming for one, and the whole "is it a new console or an addon"), they got the idea across really well.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This console, probably as much as the Game Boy did back in the late '80s, like the PlayStation in the mid-'90s, represented a paradigm shift for me in terms of what a console could be. Really do hope we get a more powerful one soon and that the back catalog that has performance concerns get smoothed out.

Last edited: