• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Lol no. Nintendo won't even give us GameCube Virtual Console on the Switch. They are definitely never going to undermine sales of a still selling handheld

Also: no second screen and 3ds games are ugly as fuck. Unless they upres them no one will be interested in playing 240p games on a 720p handheld/1080p docked console

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Let's throw in a PSP too.
giphy.gif

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes OP, I'd buy one.

Bring back dual screens.

Throw in a GB(A) slot too while we're at it.

Let's make this happen.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see any technical issues with this, as long as you have 2 switches it should work, right guys? They're both touch screens so you'd just disable the touch compatibility on one of them, right?

or am i missing something

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like the idea of something being backwards capable with DS/3DS but I'm not sure this is it. If they somehow made it work I'd definitely buy it though. Ultimately this is framed around carts that people already own though, and I think they'd be better off with getting the catalogue archived and available digitally on the 3DS.

There's a real problem with much of (not all) of Nintendo's portable DS/3DS software in that playing them legitimately on any future device, even where they could be released digitally, runs into the 2-screen thing. At least with the Wii motion inputs can be mapped to buttons, but DS/3DS software is largely mapped to specific hardware. You could have an accessory frame to hold Switch vertically and divide the single screen in two, I guess (which is pretty much what the 2DS did in terms of screen usage), but so much of 30 years of their portable back catalogue is locked away (outside emulation). I'd love to see them come up with a DS classic or whatever in a few years that gets as much of that catalogue available digitally as possible, and also the GB and GBA. At least the 3DS catalogue (and a chunk of the GB) is available digitally.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Sure, why not? But Era has a hateboner for the 3DS now so thread won't end well.

Do they? I see accusations of 3DS hate all the time over people wanting Nintendo to move on from the 3DS. Which is weird.

Pretty sure nobody would be against 3DS backwards compatability if it was possible. It unfortunately wouldn't be without making the Switch dual screen which wouldn't work with the hybrid nature of the Switch.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
Switch Pro, thinner, with a better screen and a nice battery... Don't need anything else. They can make the DS/3DS catalogue digital, and sell something like the flip-grip

flip-grip.jpg

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like I'm going to wake up and see the Polygon headline.... "Switch Pro model with 3DS slot, GBA attachment and NES to GC Virtual Console leaked on ResetEra".

Counter offer: module with 3DS and GBA slots that fits into the Switch dock, TV becomes main screen and second screen content is streamed to the Switch in handheld mode.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Would require a solution for the second screen, which would likely not be worth the cost.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
If they could do this it would have been done at launch. 3DS was very popular at the time and it's not a Wii U case where every great game is ported to Switch.
That means for this they would have to implement hardware-level compatibility, which would case to redo factory lines, and it's just dumb. A VC-type emulation would make much more sense from a business standpoint, would be miles cheaper and could charge again for those games.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I would love to have a bunch of 3DS games playable on a big screen. Would be better if there were some HD ports though, maybe it would make Kid Icarus actually playable this time.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Once you clean up and sober up, come back and read this thread. Use it to improve your life choices.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I just want a dock that isn't a lump of useless plastic with space for a LAN adapter, and instead lets you insert game cards/play games from that while using the actual Switch unit itself as a second screen like the Wii U, while you play docked.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Real question, would any of you be down for some sort of super game boy type of adaptor?
You'd need to keep the cartridge lid open at all times, and the dual screen would look too small on portable mode, but at least it's more viable since it's not forced into any model and any switch could play it.

I wish Nintendo would have included this themselves, since I don't expect any developers to use that scheme knowing that most users won't have that device. The same situation as Wii Motion Plus, basically.