• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The controller is so "great" that it caused numerous streamers on Twitch to wonder whether or not pieces moving randomly in Tetris 99 was an attack power-up used by competitors. Combined with digital triggers and the lack of headphone jack all for the low low price of 70(!!!) dollars. What an amazing controller!

Last edited:

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Outside of the D-Pad and lack of triggers, it's up there. I wish it had the WiiU Pro's construction as that was by far one of the best and with a solid d-pad and god-tier battery life. Still use mine on PC when I don't need to worry about analog triggers.

41dwqbWAydL._SX466_.jpg
They share the same battery, there is more tech in the Switch Pro so more battery use.

I love both the Switch Pro and WiiU Pro Controllers, I have been using the WiiU Pro to play VC games, like Mother.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Smash version and it is so fucking awesome. So fucking comfortable and no D-pad issues. It just works. Gyro is awesome also.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They share the same battery, there is more tech in the Switch Pro so more battery use.

I love both the Switch Pro and WiiU Pro Controllers, I have been using the WiiU Pro to play VC games, like Mother.
I figured that'd be the case with the HD Rumble, gryo, etc. The Switch Pro is still a monster in the battery life field and now makes more sense since you mentioned the same battery.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
If you play a decent amount in handheld mode, I can definitely recommend this left joycon replacement.

81kju2VbDmL._AC_.jpg

Just know it's only good for handheld mode, because it has no rumble or bluetooth to keep it cheap. The dpad is good though.
I've been looking at the Daemon X Machina ones for whenever I actually do pick up a switch.

mWXDN76.jpg

I'm not too much a fan of how small the actual joycon are, but again, these don't have batteries so they'll only work in handheld mode and don't have like... rumble and gyro and all that stuff I think.

edit: I like seeing this, too

B55dBEA.jpg

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
The d-pad sucks, it's a bad sign when I prefer to use the analog stick in 2d platformers because the the d-pad has been so unreliable. I even picked up a newer revision pro after hearing the d-pad was fixed. It's not.

The lack of a headphone jack and HD rumble being so crap compared to the joycons sucks too. I'd sacrifice a little more battery life for either of those two for sure.

Overall, it's still a solid controller, just pricey for the lack of features and lingering issues.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
dpad issues aside it is aesthetically the least pleasing of the Big 3.

I like the controller but I agree. The design doesn't fit with the Switch aesthetic and it just feels almost like a 3rd party accessory. I guess in a way it's kind of optional, so it doesn't need to, but it's the one aspect of switch's product design language that doesn't quite "fit" to me.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It just feels great to hold and has insane battery life. It's a must for anyone picking up a Switch.
Agreed. Bought it together with the Switch right away. Couldn't use the Switch without it, the Joycons are downright horrible, not only because the position of the right analog stick feels so unnatural.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think either Switch Pro or Xbox one standard controller are my favorite from this gen. Pro has a bad d-pad (that I almost never use tbh), but it has amazing battery life, robust build and good grab feeling. Xbox One has a better d-pad, but Rb/Lb are not that good and have a good amount of button surface that can't be used as a button, if that makes sense. The triggers are more comfortable than Pro's though.

On the other hand, the DS4 is the worst one by a wide margin IMO: it feels cheap (it creaks a lot if you grab it using some force), the battery life is shit, the backlight is one of the worst controller features ever...

Maybe the Pro is a little bit too expensive, but if you play a lot of Docked games it's a great inversion, the joycons don't feel that great during long sessions.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
dpad issues aside it is aesthetically the least pleasing of the Big 3.

Hard disagree. The controller is deeply flawed, but it looks sleek and high quality. It's one of the most attractive controllers ever made. That's why the d-pad being trash is so frustrating.

On the other hand, the DS4 is the worst one by a wide margin IMO: it feels cheap (it creaks a lot if you grab it using some force), the battery life is shit, the backlight is one of the worst controller features ever...

The Dualshock 4 has poor battery life. That's it. It doesn't have the input flaws the other two have. The Switch's d-pad and Xbox One's bumpers are serious design flaws.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Nah, can't say I agree.
The d-pad is not good and the placement of it isn't good either imo.
I prefer the playstation d-pad placement, feels more natural for my thumb.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I figured that'd be the case with the HD Rumble, gryo, etc. The Switch Pro is still a monster in the battery life field and now makes more sense since you mentioned the same battery.
Yeah, Nintendo must really like the OG 3DS battery. I know the WiiU Pro has 80 hours of Battery whereas the Switch pro has 40 Hours.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The Dualshock 4 has poor battery life. That's it. It doesn't have the input flaws the other two have. The Switch's d-pad and Xbox One's bumpers are serious design flaws.
I agree, but I got used to both design flaws and now they don't bother me. First game I played with a One controller was Dark Souls 1, first game I played with Pro Controller was BotW, both games use a lot the "flawed" input devices, and even if at first I struggled a bit, now I have 0 problems.

On the other hand, having 1/10 of the battery life compared to the other controllers is something I can't fix or get used to, it's simply awful and IMO a far worse design flaw.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The d-pad FEELS good, but it doesn't work very well for me. Good thing most games I don't use it.

Where it falls short for me:
-D-pad reponsiveness
-Lack of 3.5mm headphone port
-Button triggers

Honestly, if it were possible, my ideal PC controller would be:
-Switch pro controller shell + face buttons
-PS4 Touchpad + D-pad
-Xbox triggers, thumbsticks + 3.5mm port

I have a launch model Pro. The only games that the d-pad gives me trouble is, as has been mentioned many times, with puzzle games.

I haven't had a single issue with platformers or any other games that use the d-pad for scrolling movement.

It would still be great if that d-pad was fixed and was not as stiff.

Otherwise, the large face buttons are a dream, I love the triggers, and the general ergonomics.

Link83

Dec 12, 2017
For those experiencing stick drift issues - have you tried updating the controllers firmware?
I didnt realise this, but just like the Joy-Con's, the Pro controller also has firmware updates - but you only get them if you plug a USB Type-C cable into the dock and choose to manually update the connected controllers in the system settings. Theres been a few firmware updates for the Pro controller since the Switch launched.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty bad controller for 2D games, unfortunately.

If it had a good d-pad and following the Dualshock symmetrical stick layout then it would be a perfect controller.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
100%'d Celeste with it, and I couldn't have done it without those D-pad buttons. Love it personally.

Edit: Didn't mean to quote anyone lol.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
100%'d Celeste with it, and I couldn't have done it without those D-pad buttons. Love it personally.

Edit: Didn't mean to quote anyone lol.

Even if the d-pad didn't have directional issues, personally I just find it really hard and uncomfortable to use a d-pad when it's in the lower position on a controller. The Dualshock layout is the only thing I find comfortable for 2D games.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The D-pad is just terrible. Though in my opinion, Nintendo hasn't made a truly great D-pad since the GBA. These days I much prefer the Playstation style of D-pad.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
it's not bad but the bluetooth connection is spotty and it's got some input lag issues

it's a step down from the Wii U GamePad in those regards

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Every controller this gen has some big problem for me.

Xbox: No gyro
Nintendo: D-Pad eh (but I still like it enough for platformers without the fix), no headphone jack
PlayStation: Sticks too high, feels too flimsy/cheap, too small

Pro Controller is still my favorite of them all since it has the best ergonomics, but it still has problems.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The absolutely awful d-pad is what prevents it from being a great controller for me, unfortunately.

One of these days a company will just get smart and slap a Vita d-pad into a controller.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Pro Controller is my favorite of all my controllers I own. It also has a battery life that seems to be 5000000 hours, but that is just a guess.

Now if the D Pad wasn't such a flaming piece of shit it would be perfect!

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is a setting I've just missed but not being able to charge it plugged into the dock while the Switch is in rest mode is another annoyance I have with the controller besides the dpad.

That being said i still really like the way it feels in your hands. It's pretty close to being perfect

edit: wow I just realized the charge light is on top of the controller not where the four squares are. I'm dumb!!

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Is there a way to replace just the d-pad on the Switch Pro Controller? I cant find the button replacements for the Wii U or Switch Pro controller on eBay. Maybe I'll try the tape method.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Maybe this is a setting I've just missed but not being able to charge it plugged into the dock while the Switch is in rest mode is another annoyance I have with the controller besides the dpad.

That being said i still really like the way it feels in your hands. It's pretty close to being perfect

edit: wow I just realized the charge light is on top of the controller not where the four squares are. I'm dumb!!
I was going to say you can do it lol

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Even if the d-pad didn't have directional issues, personally I just find it really hard and uncomfortable to use a d-pad when it's in the lower position on a controller. The Dualshock layout is the only thing I find comfortable for 2D games.

I can see that. For some reason it doesn't bother me but the lower analog stick does funny enough.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I love how it feels, but the d-pad is awful, and these things seem prone to inteference issues with gyro, as well as stick drifting issues after a while. They were not made to last. =/

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
kotaku.com

How To Fix Your Switch Pro Controller’s D-Pad

Over the last year, the Nintendo Switch has built up an impressive collection of 2D side-scrollers and classic arcade games. Unfortunately, those games rely heavily the D-Pad, and the D-Pad on the Switch Pro Controller can be frustratingly unreliable. Last weekend I fixed mine, and you can, too.

jecsfju9jgwk1xepdbdu.png

that's great, i need to do this! Any advice for the folded tape? should i just fold it or cut for layers and put them on top of each other?

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I gotta say I was disappointed with it for the price. Mostly mirroring other's thoughts on the DPAD. That's just too important and unforgiveable considering the price and Nintendo's history of hardware.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the cruddy D-pad, I really enjoy the controller especially given the alternative are the uncomfortable Joycons. Just wish it didn't take as long to charge as it takes to run out lol

I won't lie I'd get a revision if Nintendo released one with a much better d-pad.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Categorically it's the worst controller they have ever released
EVER
The flaws on the dpad - something they invented properly and had patented for so long (ever wonder why the PlayStation originally didn't have the cross dpad, or the Xbox original had the pad within the circular plastic?)
That eventually expired, and then the released the switch pro controller after getting the WiiU controller so close to perfection

Switch pro controller could have been the ultimate evolution of that - when I first got it the only improvements I could think of would be analog triggers and a headphone jack

the gyro and aiming in Zelda felt amazing with the pro controller
And the the horror began to circulate as more people managed to buy the controllers and found the problem with the dpad

People claimed others were over reacting
Some claimed later versions of special splatoon or xenoblade controllers fixed it - those have been opened up and show that the design flaw is still there..
The dpad design is a disaster of engineering and cutting corners internally that needed to go back to the drawing board
Nintendo's Staple of games franchises was the 2D platformer for decades, yet you can't play one properly with the switch pro controllers dpad
I get MUCH better and more precise movements using the joycon split buttons as the d pad - and everyone hated that idea

For anyone that doesn't think it's a problem, play Celeste with the pro controller on harder difficulty, or how about hollow knight
FFS even Horis £20 left dpad only joycon is vastly superior to the dpad on the switch procontroller

Urgh, people need to really perhaps use google and see what others think of the controller generally before posting such a provoking title like "Nintendo Switch Pro is such a great controller"
Yeah it is if you don't want to use the dpad...

Edit - btw sorry for that rant, but I shouldn't have to dissect my £70 controller and try to fix it, something this badly designed should never be called "Great"

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
bad dpad and lack of headphone jack makes it a shitty version of the basic xbox controller.

not to mention the translucent plastic they used which doesn't even go w/ the switch.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a mostly great controller with a rather major flaw (the d-pad)

Personally, I'd trade away the rumble/gyro for a good dpad, so I think the Wii U Pro Controller is better, but if you never use the dpad, it's a fantastic controller.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I have been fine with it for all things except where Fine movement was required of the D-pad. Tetris 99 exposed it here when in that game, pressing up insta-drops the blocks and it often fucking happens when I'm simply trying to move a block left or right which is a disasterous prospect in that game. I pretty much have to use joy cons for that.

that said, I have been perfectly fine playing pretty much everything else, including platformers. And the rest of the controller, analog sticks, buttons, etc, are basically perfect.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I barely used the d pad so I guess that's affected my opinion on it. Maybe I should play something like Donkey Kong TF to see if it's really that bad.