• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tournament update with 720p/60fps is out already?

I'm talking about this update:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._of_the_new_graphics_update_for_rocket_league

The existent mode that Rocket League plays in will be referred to as Performance mode, but there will also be a Quality mode that caps the frames at 30 FPS and bumps the resolution to 1920x1080 docked and 1280x720 in handheld, in addition to other improvements like lens flare, light shafts, dynamic shadows, and depth of field. In addition to this, video capture support will be added so you can save recordings of all those sweet goals.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rogue Aces is out on Switch April 12th

(Trailer says PS4 but it's the same game across PS4, Vita and Switch)

It looks like a clone of Luftrausers with more complex graphics and combat and really annoying voiceovers.

That looks really fun! This is typically the kind of game I would never buy on a console like PS4/Xbox or even on PC because I would feel cheated, but is perfect on a portable console like the Switch and Vita.

What do you mean by cheated...?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about this update:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._of_the_new_graphics_update_for_rocket_league

The existent mode that Rocket League plays in will be referred to as Performance mode, but there will also be a Quality mode that caps the frames at 30 FPS and bumps the resolution to 1920x1080 docked and 1280x720 in handheld, in addition to other improvements like lens flare, light shafts, dynamic shadows, and depth of field. In addition to this, video capture support will be added so you can save recordings of all those sweet goals.
The performance mode gets a bumped resolution as well which I don't see a reason to be complaining about.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean by cheated...?

Maybe cheated isn't the best word to express my idea haha, english isn't my native language.

What I wanted to say is that I bought a "next-gen" console for AA/AAA big experiences and I was never able to enjoy indie games on my Xbox because I felt totally disconnected between the game and the power of the console I'm playing it on. Like, indie games are great for me on portable console and maybe my portable PC, but not on my home console. At least not 2D platformers and this kind of indie games.

I felt "cheated" in a way that I wasn't having the best of my console with 2D platformers/somehow like games. It isn't true for every games btw, and it's a very personal feeling, but I don't know, I wasn't able to enjoy games like Super Meat Boy on my home console and in my sofa, where it's a delicious experience when it's portable and playable on my Switch. ^^

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe cheated isn't the best word to express my idea haha, english isn't my native language.

What I wanted to say is that I bought a "next-gen" console for AA/AAA big experiences and I was never able to enjoy indie games on my Xbox because I felt totally disconnected between the game and the power of the console I'm playing it on. Like, indie games are great for me on portable console and maybe my portable PC, but not on my home console. At least not 2D platformers and this kind of indie games.

I felt "cheated" in a way that I wasn't having the best of my console with 2D platformers/somehow like games. It isn't true for every games btw, and it's a very personal feeling, but I don't know, I wasn't able to enjoy games like Super Meat Boy on my home console and in my sofa, where it's a delicious experience when it's portable and playable on my Switch. ^^
While it's true that a lot of those games are well suited for a portable experience, I think the notion of feeling like you need to be getting a technical marvel with every game on your console to "justify" the power under the hood and buying the machine is a bit narrow-minded and old-fashioned.

You're entitled to your own opinion and desires but it would be a shame if you missed out on some of the best experiences a console has to offer just because it didn't showcase amazing 3D graphics. Actually, 2D games are a lot more taxing on a system than people realize. There's a lot of 2D games that wouldn't have been possible on older hardware, at least not at that resolution or framerate.

And it's not like having arguably the most impressive console graphics this gen made The Order a better game (although it is pretty much the only reason people play it). Hell, Infamous Second Son is gorgeous but it's world and gameplay is distinctly last gen.

Again, you're free to want what you want but you should consider that maybe you've been limiting yourself and your experiences. The first game on PS4 that I truly loved was Transistor!

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
While it's true that a lot of those games are well suited for a portable experience, I think the notion of feeling like you need to be getting a technical marvel with every game on your console to "justify" the power under the hood and buying the machine is a bit narrow-minded and old-fashioned.

Again, you're free to want what you want but you should consider that maybe you've been limiting yourself and your experiences. The first game on PS4 that I truly loved was Transistor!

You are absolutely right, and as I said, it's really a personal feeling. If you're curious, here is a list of what I would consider indie-equivalent games I've played on my console (Xbox One & 360):

- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Scott Pilgrim The game
- From Dust
- OutLand
- BattleBlock Theater
- Terraria
- Plants vs Zombie
- Super Meat Boy
- I am Alive
- Ilo Milo
- Child of Ligth
- The Deer God
- Another World
- Limbo
- Super Meat Boy

I could go longer but I think you get the idea. I bought all those games and I wasn't disappointed by any of them. They were all great and a lot of fun to me! I know some can't be truly considered as indie games, but I think they all share the same scope as what indies can do.

It's not like I want great graphics, to be honest I really don't care about graphics at all, I'm much more interested by the gameplay and the gamefeel. But thing is, I play with a controller for games that require me to be really invested and require specific skills (as I would for PC if it was my thing haha). Most the of the games I quoted earlier are games with a very chill pacing, and because of this, I really feel disconnected from them when I'm playing them on my big TV, with a controller, sitting on my sofa.

Child of Light is probably the best example I could have. I loved the game, being the art, the sound design, the gameplay, the story, etc... But playing it on my couch, I couldn't play it more than 2 hours before feeling like it wasn't the best I could get from it because of how I was playing it, and especially on the support I was playing.

That's why I'm actually so happy Switch (and Vita, but for other purposes) exist, it's because I'm able to enjoy most of those games within a situation I can get the best experience, being in the bathroom, on the go, in my bed or even on the couch, but not sitting and looking at a big screen (I play with my Switch like 99% handled). My "To-Buy-game" on Switch is full of indie titles I can't wait to buy when my memory card will be delivered.

I'm not against buying those games because of graphics, just because I don't enjoy them with the way I play with my Xbox. Like, I would not enjoy Stardew Valley or even Owlboy on my Xbox One with my controller, but I'm in heaven when I'm playing them on my Switch.

I think it's much more about the feeling of being closer to your game when you're playing them actually close to your, than looking at them from a distance because they are on your big screen at home.

I don't know if I explained my point very well, but I hope I made it clearer. ^^

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to get my Switch this week and looked at the prices on the eshop, why are launch games still full priced :(

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Welp, finally pulled the trigger and got my own Switch. I don't plan to bring it outside the house so no stuffing it down jeans or anything - will I still need a screen protector? Also it's going to be 80% played handheld as well.

Got the grey joycons, but plan to pick up the Mario reds overseas when I can. Going to take it slow with the games, probably snipperclips and Mario Kart 8D for the multiplayer.

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my Switch since early October and use it on a daily basis (90% of the time handheld at home) without a screen protector and I've had no marks or scratches or anything. It's still in perfect condition.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo games in particular are known to hold their value for an entire decade. The third party games go on sale regularly though

ok thanks, my last Nintendo console was the Wii, I would think the NSW would be a nice pair to my PS4

are NSW cartridge games region locked on DLCs? like do I need to have a NA version of a game in order for NA DLCs to work?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I'm in Japan at the moment. I'm in Kyoto now and Tokyo for 3 days next week. I was thinking of picking up a Nintendo souvenir. Maybe a game? Are there any games only released in Japan but have English language available? Is there any cool merch or something I should be REALLY looking out for?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Japan at the moment. I'm in Kyoto now and Tokyo for 3 days next week. I was thinking of picking up a Nintendo souvenir. Maybe a game? Are there any games only released in Japan but have English language available? Is there any cool merch or something I should be REALLY looking out for?

Girls underwear from a vending machine

Underwear-vending-machine.jpg

I can't think of anything more Japanese.

Sour

Oct 28, 2017

I got you covered!

First off, here is a link that I've used myself to work out what Switch Games have English. Sadly it's not many, but Resident Evil Revelations never got a physical release in the UK (US?) so that's a pretty good souvenir. Just make sure you buy the right one that has both games (Physical copy of the 1st and a digital code of the 2nd.)

Second, if you're after merch/figures and what not I'd definitely recommend checking out a few second-hand shops in Kyoto. They exist in Tokyo but I noticed the prices were much higher.

Book-Of Plus in Kyoto - I went to a handful of Book-Offs and this was by far the best for figures/kits/merch in terms of content and price. Definitely go here.

A-too in Kyoto - This place is hands down the best-hidden gem I found. Cheap Amiibos, entire walls of old Games and 2 floors of figures. The best thing is the 2nd floor has an entire wall where most things are ¥100 unless marked. Just look through the baskets and there's plenty of stuff. Tons of Pokemon, Kirby and other Nintendo merch. Theres quite a lot of older Gatcha Pon and Lucky Draw stuff here that was a timed release.

Spend a day in Akihabara, you can wander around the main street and all the back streets and find loads of cool gaming stuff. If you go in the week its pretty quiet until the evening, its crazy on the weekend so much they close the main road to traffic.

Oh and Yodabashi Camera in Akiba, Tokyo has one of the best Switch accessory selections I've ever seen.

I hope this helps, sorry for going off topic slightly.

Edit - Also check out http://www.japanesenintendo.com/ which is an English News blog that covers all things Japanese Nintendo, you might be able to find a timed event at 711 or something.

Deleted member 37151

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I got you covered!

First off, here is a link that I've used myself to work out what Switch Games have English. Sadly it's not many, but Resident Evil Revelations never got a physical release in the UK (US?) so that's a pretty good souvenir. Just make sure you buy the right one that has both games (Physical copy of the 1st and a digital code of the 2nd.)

Second, if you're after merch/figures and what not I'd definitely recommend checking out a few second-hand shops in Kyoto. They exist in Tokyo but I noticed the prices were much higher.

Book-Of Plus in Kyoto - I went to a handful of Book-Offs and this was by far the best for figures/kits/merch in terms of content and price. Definitely go here.

A-too in Kyoto - This place is hands down the best-hidden gem I found. Cheap Amiibos, entire walls of old Games and 2 floors of figures. The best thing is the 2nd floor has an entire wall where most things are ¥100 unless marked. Just look through the baskets and there's plenty of stuff. Tons of Pokemon, Kirby and other Nintendo merch. Theres quite a lot of older Gatcha Pon and Lucky Draw stuff here that was a timed release.

Spend a day in Akihabara, you can wander around the main street and all the back streets and find loads of cool gaming stuff. If you go in the week its pretty quiet until the evening, its crazy on the weekend so much they close the main road to traffic.

Oh and Yodabashi Camera in Akiba, Tokyo has one of the best Switch accessory selections I've ever seen.

I hope this helps, sorry for going off topic slightly.

Edit - Also check out http://www.japanesenintendo.com/ which is an English News blog that covers all things Japanese Nintendo, you might be able to find a timed event at 711 or something.
Thanks for this. Gonna check out a too this week.

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, finally pulled the trigger and got my own Switch. I don't plan to bring it outside the house so no stuffing it down jeans or anything - will I still need a screen protector? Also it's going to be 80% played handheld as well.

Got the grey joycons, but plan to pick up the Mario reds overseas when I can. Going to take it slow with the games, probably snipperclips and Mario Kart 8D for the multiplayer.

I have never put a screen protector on any of my handheld devices (Vita and 3DS still looking great). However, the Switch screen is not very durable and it's the first device I put a screen protector on. The tempered glass protectors look and feels great. No regrets and no worries after putting it on.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro and Divinity both are skipping Switch even though Switch can run both. Wtf is going on with console? Do third parties really want Switch to fail? Because it's pretty much impossible to hit 20 million target while the rival console has RDR2, DQ11 and KH3. Don't say Switch had Pokémon because it's probably a 2019 game, too late to reveal now. Nintendo might be hoping Smash and NSMB Collection to sell some Switches but they won't, as they didn't sell any Wii Us. They need third party, or we have another Wii U case at our hands.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spyro and Divinity both are skipping Switch even though Switch can run both. Wtf is going on with console? Do third parties really want Switch to fail? Because it's pretty much impossible to hit 20 million target while the rival console has RDR2, DQ11 and KH3. Don't say Switch had Pokémon because it's probably a 2019 game, too late to reveal now. Nintendo might be hoping Smash and NSMB Collection to sell some Switches but they won't, as they didn't sell any Wii Us. They need third party, or we have another Wii U case at our hands.

It's literally already outsold the Wii U and has Smash Bros coming out this year. What are you even talking about buddy

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
when you want to play in undocked mode and just plug in the power, will it stop charging when the battery is 100% and just draw power from the charger?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've had my Switch since early October and use it on a daily basis (90% of the time handheld at home) without a screen protector and I've had no marks or scratches or anything. It's still in perfect condition.

This is great, thanks looks like it'll be similar to my usage pattern as my monitors are mostly occupied by my pc and ps4.

I have never put a screen protector on any of my handheld devices (Vita and 3DS still looking great). However, the Switch screen is not very durable and it's the first device I put a screen protector on. The tempered glass protectors look and feels great. No regrets and no worries after putting it on.

Oh, I just dislike putting on protectors due to bubbles and whatnot hopefully the screen isn't that fragile.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

This is irrational at best and "omg the sky is falling' Chicken Little obnoxiousness at worst. Get a hold of yourself.

ampere

Jan 20, 2018
I've had my Switch for about a week now and god I love it

It's everything good about a portable and everything good about a console. I haven't docked it yet, probably won't until I get a multiplayer game like MK8. Been playing Zelda, and have Mario for when I finish it

I forgot how much I love having a portable

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This is irrational at best and "omg the sky is falling' Chicken Little obnoxiousness at worst. Get a hold of yourself.

I can't. I need games. I only have access to handhelds right now and this drought is literally killing me. There are Naruto and south park at the end of the month and nothing for all three handhelds until June when Mario Tennis releases. I don't want this thing to continue.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I can't. I need games. I only have access to handhelds right now and this drought is literally killing me. There are Naruto and south park at the end of the month and nothing for all three handhelds until June when Mario Tennis releases. I don't want this thing to continue.

Let me be less dickish with my next response, with the first reply to you being one I am sorry for.

I can understand your frustration, but the Switch is NOT going to be another Wii U. A high number of third party games are actually selling on the Switch, and software sales in general are amazing. If anything, maybe you meant you didn't want the Switch to end up like the Wii? It sold well, had great software numbers, but third parties treated it with experiments and less than fantastic efforts for the most part. I personally loved the smaller stuff that came to the Wii from third parties then.

Regardless, I'm not understanding how the Switch is just going to stop selling and end up like the Wii U. You're making yourself crazy over an irrational thought. It'll all be good. Promise! :)

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Which Bluetooth Adapter is better: The Mayflash Magic-NS or the Portable 8Bitdo USB Wireless Bluetooth Adapter? I am interested in the 8bitdo SNES Pro, but some computers I am using don't support bluetooth so I am considering an adapter to not only use with the SNES Pro, but also the Wii U Pro Controller.

Thank you for reading.

oits

Oct 29, 2017
Which Bluetooth Adapter is better: The Mayflash Magic-NS or the Portable 8Bitdo USB Wireless Bluetooth Adapter? I am interested in the 8bitdo SNES Pro, but some computers I am using don't support bluetooth so I am considering an adapter to not only use with the SNES Pro, but also the Wii U Pro Controller.

Thank you for reading.

I have the 8bitdo adapter which I use to connect a Dualshock 4 to my Switch. It works pretty great, there is no noticeable input lag, and it even supports the DS4's internal gyro. I've never used the Mayflash adapter, so I couldn't really say which is actually better.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
when you want to play in undocked mode and just plug in the power, will it stop charging when the battery is 100% and just draw power from the charger?

Yeah exactly this so you don't need to worry about your batteries health if you keep it plugged in long term.

how do you charge the Switch in tabletop mode
You... don't. There's a third party stand (Hori I think...?) that allows for it and also has the added benefit of allowing you to play arcade shooters horizontally which is cool.

Feb 10, 2018
The switch must be the ideal console for deployed people in the military.
Its everything they could want, lightweight, compact, low power, portable etc.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The weather is getting better here and I wanted to start using my Switch in the garden while the sun shines. There's only one problem: It's unusable in my garden thanks to the low brightness of the screen, whereas my laptop and smartphone are still usable in the sun. Is there anything I can do to improve the visibility of the screen when using it outside?

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Didn't know Wild Guns Reloaded came out this month until today. Already have the PS4 version, but I'm not saying no to portable Wild Guns.

Oct 29, 2017
The weather is getting better here and I wanted to start using my Switch in the garden while the sun shines. There's only one problem: It's unusable in my garden thanks to the low brightness of the screen, whereas my laptop and smartphone are still usable in the sun. Is there anything I can do to improve the visibility of the screen when using it outside?

I had the same problem using the Switch on the beach on my holiday. Had to sit in the shade which kinda ruined it a bit.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
My SD slot bit the dust. :( Thought it was the SD card that failed, bought a new one and same thing, error 2016-0247. It won't push in and click like used to but it's slow and stiff as if a spring or pin broke. Anyone else ever had this?

I went ahead and did a repair request under warranty. Do I have to send in the joycons as well if it's just the SD slot? I'm guessing no and I don't want to risk the joycons getting jostled too much in needless shipping.

Thanks!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
My SD slot bit the dust. :( Thought it was the SD card that failed, bought a new one and same thing, error 2016-0247. It won't push in and click like used to but it's slow and stiff as if a spring or pin broke. Anyone else ever had this?

I went ahead and did a repair request under warranty. Do I have to send in the joycons as well if it's just the SD slot? I'm guessing no and I don't want to risk the joycons getting jostled too much in needless shipping.

Thanks!

Nope, don't include the joy-cons or game cartridge(s). You should get an email detailing the process.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I didn't see anything in the email about the joycons, but they said to include the SD card that didn't work. I appreciate the quick response.

If you're including your SD card, as a precaution I would write down that you included it and that it's inside the system on a note in the package. I believe the email tells you to.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Did this, for sure. I was afraid they would format it so I also backed it up. Thanks again for your help!

No problem! They probably won't delete your save data, but unfortunately backing up your SD card won't help—save data is stored on the system itself. Only way to be 100% sure of its safety is to transfer your data to someone else's Switch temporarily while it's sent in.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
If we can just get a trophy system, a great VC, and like 2 game announcements at E3 I'll walk away thrilled lol.