• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to play Odyssey all week but my Switch is at Nintendo for repair.

Darkkn

Oct 30, 2017
Any recommendations for SD card to use with Switch? So many options with different capacity/price/performance... I guess performance differences are not drastic for the load times and just go for the price/capacity ratio?

Switch has quickly become my favourite way to play games and this is coming from someone who's last owned Nintendo console was 8-bit Nintendo :O

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for SD card to use with Switch? So many options with different capacity/price/performance... I guess performance differences are not drastic for the load times and just go for the price/capacity ratio?

Switch has quickly become my favourite way to play games and this is coming from someone who's last owned Nintendo console was 8-bit Nintendo :O
The 200GB Sandask has a pretty good price/quality ratio:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JY5T7T/?tag=era0f0-20

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/?tag=era0f0-20 it is very good for the price have no complaints

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the Super Mario edition Hybrid Cover from PowerA the other day and thought I would share some pics and my thoughts on it:

9EoJJeT.jpg

OMzdMOs.jpg

FUKux7O.jpg

The color looks nice in contrast with the grey joycon, I havent tried them with the Mario red joycon yet though I suspect it will look just as nice if not better. I also have the standard black hybrid cover and this one does not feel quite as nice that one does tbh. That one has more of a leathery feel and look and this one seems more plastic-y, although it does appear to be made from the same material. There's a mario themed pattern on the inside similiar to what you see on other mario themed accessories. The design on the front is printed, it's not embossed like the Nintendo Switch logo on the standard version is. It's also prone to showing dirt and scratches unlike the standard. Overall I'm not sure what to think of it, I might like the standard black version better.

I will say this though regardless of the style you choose I highly recommend buying a hybrid cover. It is super easy to apply and remove and it provides protection similiar to what you'd get with a clamshell design. It has been vital to keeping my Switch protected on the go, and it's a legitimate alternative to a screen protector, albeit it's not a replacement for one. It also doubles as an excellent stand with settings for multiple different angles.

Next I'm going to try out that really sweet leathery triforce version, if it ever comes back in stock.

edit: and yes I know my screen is filthy, it's that way for a reason. That's my back-up switch (it's a long story but rest assured I never intended to have a back-up Switch, it just sort of happened that way) and I've been using it as a guinnea pig to test various screen cleaning methods.

I did not know about these, thank you!
Will keep an eye out for the Zelda one

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the cases I found seem to be the same kind, but with different designs on the front. I just can't decide between a big SMO print or a subtle Zelda one.

The 200GB Sandask has a pretty good price/quality ratio:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JY5T7T/?tag=era0f0-20

Thanks! I'll get this one. I think 200Gb is enough for quite some time.

Is it easy to swap microSD cards down the line (basically, C&P using a computer and not dealing with encrypted files), or should I only start with the largest size?

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely getting the pro controller when I have money, this thing was not made for people with giant hands lol.

Brock

Oct 28, 2017
Pewter City Gym
What size SD cards do people recommend getting?? I was planning on getting 64GB because I intend on buying physical when I get the chance and buying mainly first party games which seem to only take up to 8GB max.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm debating getting my joycon sent in, they've been kind of finicky with input lag and responsiveness when playing on TV. Hoping the issue goes away after a replacement set.

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Guys I remember reading some time ago that Nintendo would be starting to dispatch some new batchs of the Switch to the stores, in regards of those initially faulty joycons.

So my question is: what's the new serial model number?

I'm considering buying a Switch but don't want to grab one of the first models.

I'm in Europe by the way.

Vitor711

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I believe the problem is the power brick you are using for charging. In order to charge faster than what you're getting, it needs to have certain specifications, you can't just take any power brick hat works for something you have and expect the same results.
Ideally you'd need a charger that can do 15-17W with USB-C PD (Output:5V/3A)

Here's the thing though, I know that my charger will be slower than the dock.

I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaining that the Switch takes 3 and a half hours to fully charge AT MAX SPEED. That's really, really bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I remember reading some time ago that Nintendo would be starting to dispatch some new batchs of the Switch to the stores, in regards of those initially faulty joycons.

So my question is: what's the new serial model number?

I'm considering buying a Switch but don't want to grab one of the first models.

I'm in Europe by the way.
I think the units with faulty JoyCons are already phased out. They addressed this back in April.
If you want to be safe, order at Amazon (because they are the biggest online store and so got a lot of restocks) or get the Super Mario Odyssey Edition.

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I think the units with faulty JoyCons are already phased out. They addressed this back in April.
If you want to be safe, order at Amazon (because they are the biggest online store and so got a lot of restocks) or get the Super Mario Odyssey Edition.

The Super Mario Odyssey bundle comes with the digital game, I want the physical version :(

Also here in Portugal there's a store with a promo of buy 2 get another game free. Think I will use that.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I prefer hardshell, spacious cases to fit all these accessories so the Odyssey Case is really disappointing for me. The graphic designs are really cool, but the case itself is underwhelming for me.

Just ordered this Butterfox Case:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W585TW7/?tag=era0f0-20

Anyone here have impressions of Butterfox cases?

The Super Mario Odyssey bundle comes with the digital game, I want the physical version :(

Also here in Portugal there's a store with a promo of buy 2 get another game free. Think I will use that.

I was in the same boat with wanting a physical version but 20 hrs in I have to say Odyssey is effin perfect for digital.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer hardshell, spacious cases to fit all these accessories so the Odyssey Case is really disappointing for me. The graphic designs are really cool, but the case itself is underwhelming for me.

I was in the same boat with wanting a physical version but 20 hrs in I have to say Odyssey is effin perfect for digital.
I have the all black one. I love it. Plenty of room for all my games and that pouch can fit extra joycons. I can also keep my jetech case on and put it inside the butterfox case. Granted its a tight squeeze and the velcro strap barely locks in but it works.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Just put an amFilm screen protector on and as is usual with me and screen protectors, I messed it up. First one had air bubbles so I used the second, same outcome. Four air bubbles, two have dissipated but two are left. One especially won't budge.

It's late so I'm going to leave it until tomorrow and see if there's any improvement. If not, I don't know if it's best to leave it on or remove it altogether. I'm leaning towards leave it on to protect the screen, but if it's dust causing the bubbles I don't know if that could do more damage and scratch it when tapping that area of the screen.

CoL

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone in this thread can answer my question.

I'm trying to decide between the Butterfox case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVCWY41/?tag=era0f0-20) and the Orzly case ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAUKS62/?tag=era0f0-20) They seem to be among the highest rated and with a little more space than the RDS one.

Has anyone actually tried both? how do you compare them? which do you prefer? Can either or both fit an anker battery pack inside?

Guys has anyone tried these? Can they fit one of the larger anker battery packs?

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just put an amFilm screen protector on and as is usual with me and screen protectors, I messed it up. First one had air bubbles so I used the second, same outcome. Four air bubbles, two have dissipated but two are left. One especially won't budge.

It's late so I'm going to leave it until tomorrow and see if there's any improvement. If not, I don't know if it's best to leave it on or remove it altogether. I'm leaning towards leave it on to protect the screen, but if it's dust causing the bubbles I don't know if that could do more damage and scratch it when tapping that area of the screen.

They will totally send you a new one free if you let them know it didnt apply right. They have the best customer service.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017

I have the all black one. I love it. Plenty of room for all my games and that pouch can fit extra joycons. I can also keep my jetech case on and put it inside the butterfox case. Granted its a tight squeeze and the velcro strap barely locks in but it works.

Guys has anyone tried these? Can they fit one of the larger anker battery packs?

Interesting, I haven't seen these cases before. To be honest, I really want one that is a reasonable size but can fit a charger and cable (the size of a portable iPad/Google Pixel adapter, not the AC adapter that comes with the system). Granted, I already carry my 3DS and Vita chargers separately, so maybe it makes more sense to have a more compact case for the system and keep the chargers somewhere else.

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else have a hard time opening their stand to access the sd card slot? Mine seems really hard to open unless there's a button i don't know about.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Interesting, I haven't seen these cases before. To be honest, I really want one that is a reasonable size but can fit a charger and cable (the size of a portable iPad/Google Pixel adapter, not the AC adapter that comes with the system). Granted, I already carry my 3DS and Vita chargers separately, so maybe it makes more sense to have a more compact case for the system and keep the chargers somewhere else.
I'm able to fit my ravpower power bank pretty easily. I forget the model exactly but its about this size. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IFIJW8/?tag=era0f0-20

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
might as well post this here. my Toys R Us is ready for November (we got all these for Mario's launch)
DN1Y1rrUQAMIiiB.jpg

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
Got a neon switch recently. Noticed the when in handheld mode , the lower portion of red joycon wobbles when attached to the tablet . Is this a problem ?

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017

I would wait to see what goes on sale Black Friday.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I still regret not getting the neon set at launch. My gray Joy Cons just don't have that pop.

Oct 25, 2017
I you haven't had a Wii U: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Besides that: Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Golf Story, Snipperclips (if you've got someone for couch coop), maybe Fast RMX if you like F-Zero

Yeah I have Zelda, Mario kart, splatoon, Mario + rabbids and oddysey as physical copies, and they're all great. On digital, golf story, picross, and snake pass (was on sale). Will eventually get stardew and a bunch of other stuff. Hoping that Skyrim goes on sale during turkeyday.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Proud new Switch owner here. Bought the Odyssey bundle and am loving it. Sooooo much better than the WiiU.

Big question, is the dock scratch issue still a thing?

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017