• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. But you can always delete games you're not playing anymore. I have tons of games all digital and I'm barely over 100gb, so I think calling 256 a "minimum" is silly. You're not gonna need that extra space anytime soon,And by the time you do memory cards will be much cheaper. I think you could easily get by with the 128 For the forseeable future, And that's not even factoring in deleting games.

Plus when you delete games off the switch, it'll keep the icon there and you can prompt the re download very fast.

I mean hey, if you got the money, go for it. I have a 200gb myself. And I was one of the crazy people who sprung for the expensive 64gb Vita card. I'm just saying that 256 is certainly not the "minimum" someone should get.

Fair enough. Really great point on the 128 and "growing into" the 256 when it's cheaper if required.

I just know a couple of people who wound up leaning closer to all digital than they initially thought. One of my buddies really likes to ping pong between a bunch of different games and usually makes an ordeal of deleting things.

Redownloading stuff can also be inconvenient with download caps or in areas where speeds aren't the best, but I don't think that it would apply in OPs case.

OP
OP
Anubis

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried Gamecube controller with their switch given recent update?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for joycon grips that make portable mode more comfortable for bigger hands?

BubbaGum

Oct 26, 2017
Posted this somewhere else but it might be more relevant to ask it here:

For anyone else who got the Odyssey Switch bundle I have some dumb questions to ask ya.

How do I put in the Switch in the case? Which side of the flap do I lay the Switch in? Why are there two layers to the flap? No matter which way I put it it seems too tight when I zip up the case, it feels like I'm squishing the screen too much or something.

OP
OP
Anubis

Anubis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted this somewhere else but it might be more relevant to ask it here:

For anyone else who got the Odyssey Switch bundle I have some dumb questions to ask ya.

How do I put in the Switch in the case? Which side of the flap do I lay the Switch in? Why are there two layers to the flap? No matter which way I put it it seems too tight when I zip up the case, it feels like I'm squishing the screen too much or something.

I'd like to know this as well. Personally, I just aligned with the Switch Logo and placed it below the flap.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Skip User Selection option vanish if you have more than one account? I cant find it in my settings anymore

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take both Joycon off and use them in 'split mode' one in each hand and then lie back in bed with both hands at your side. It's changed my life.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heard really bad things about the official case/pouch. Can recommend the NNS40 (sold by Big Ben in Europe and some other company in the US) though.

OP
OP
Anubis

Anubis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take both Joycon off and use them in 'split mode' one in each hand and then lie back in bed with both hands at your side. It's changed my life.
Damn that sounds relaxing!

On another note, I just wish Nintendo included a grip with USB charging. Seems like they are really nickel and diming us on the accessories front.

Last edited:

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm also new to Switch with this bundle. I had to exchange my first unit because on some blemish, like dust, under the screen :/

I'm already making mistakes and learning with the system. This thread is helpful.

An obscure question maybe related to Mario Odyssey, but are small white dots jumping around on transition screens (entering/exiting buildings w/ Mario's hat shrinking/expanding) normal? I'm not seeing it on YouTube videos of these black transition/loading screens, but that might be because of the compression (they're very small dots). This happens in both portable and docked mode.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I wish someone would create one general Switch |OT|
It has the best rated game of all time for starters, also we could do a lot of general chat about the Switch in one area, instead of tons of mini threads asking for help on accessories, eshop games, hints n tips, what games to buy etc, as we are seeing new Switch owners regularly and I feel we deserve a OT

I have no thread creating privileges as a junior, plus I'm crap at making OT's

Wouldn't be a bad idea tbh. I would love to help out with it (if allowed)

PereCallahan

Oct 27, 2017
Hello this is my first Nintendo console since the Gamecube so any tips, optimizations, etc would be greatly appreciated. Any etiquette advice that would help prolong the system? Recommended accessories?
Also, is the digital version of SMO supposed to load faster?

Lastly is Nintendo working on cloud saves and virtual console for the switch?

Thank you kindly for your suggestions and please forgive me if this is redundant.
I would strongly recommend sending me your copy of Mario Odyssey.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can you guys explain what this game is about? I heard it's a golf rpg so how do both these things mesh together?

It's sort of like Pokemon in that the entire game-world is obsessed with golf. So you travel around to different courses (towns) and do a bunch of usually-golf-related quests for people (hit the ball into the hole x number of times, that kind of thing), then play a 9-hole round at the end of each course. Each course is themed as well.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just want to vent about how annoying screen protectors are for a bit...

Screen protector install went well. Dusted the surfaces in my bathroom, ran the shower for a bit, wiped the screen down with the wet and dry clothes, peaked at an angle to make sure I got all the particles and oils off the screen and slapped it on.

Smoothed out the bubbles except for one tiny one that worked it's own way out about eight hours later. Thought I was in the clear until I saw it...

ccUA9Pl.jpg

...one tiny goddamn speck in the lower left of the screen. Fucking god dammit. It's not a big deal I guess but it's like a dead or stuck pixel...you know it's there so you'll keep seeing it no matter what.

Unfortunately I'll just have to leave it as I'm sure pulling up the protector to reapply it will only introduce more dust or cause the protector to not stick as well, and applying a new protector may result in an even worse application.

I'll just have to leave it as is and try not to let it bother me too much.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Did they improve the quality of the dock with new batches?
No idea. I just know I've not heard anyone complain about it beyond the launch date. In fact, the thread about it on ███ seemed to only get bumped by those pointing out their dock hasn't scratched their Switch.

I just notice that every time a thread about a new Switch owner pops up, they are instantly told scare stories that as far as I can see, are just that, stories.

Aquaman

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the right way to put the Switch in the traveling case? I got the Odysseus bundle and it came with it. I was just putting it in there with the middle part laying on the screen. Am I supposed to unfold it or is it fine like that?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Really? That makes it more interesting.

OK, I've been playing Mario Odyssey and....uh...I am underwhelmed. It is not bad but it really seems like a let down compared to Super Mario World. 2 player is one person controlling Mario and one person controlling a hat? Really? WTF is that? SMW had 4 independent players.

Again, it's not bad but I just dropped >$400 for this. :-/
Odyssey is from a different track of the Mario franchise than 3D World. 3D World is a stage clear a la the first 3 SMBs and SNES Super Mario World, just with more 3D perspective. Odyssey is in the M64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1&2 tree, 3D exploration platforming. They've never delivered the same multiplayer experience as the stage clear games. I see pros and cons to both, but ultimately they're all very well done platforming experiences.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Any advice which memory card I should buy as a replacement? Figured that 128MB should be enough for my digital needs. European Amazon link would be great.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
In regards to the switch and its screenshot feature

I only have BOTW so far... but a huge reason I play games is to take screenshots while doing so, my favorite feature of modern consoles

I don't want to wait till I finish BOTW to buy any other games because I really wanna dig in to MK/Splatoon 2/Odyssey, etc

but does it just dump all screenshots taken of all games into one big folder?

on my PS4 it makes subfolders for each game. Making it easy to go through, and manage when exporting them to PC

if the switch just dumps to one big folder, I'd probably have to wait till I'm done taking BOTW screenshots to start another game, that would be too much work otherwise

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
I try to get everybody to buy one of these when they say they've bought a Switch, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person that was ever impressed with them though as they really aren't essential.

It's the Bionik Giganet ethernet adapter which keeps all the untidy stuff inside the dock. They're the same price on amazon.com too, I've been using one for a few weeks and it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

I really like it....nobody else on the planet cares though!
BNK-9018-GIGANET-Adapter_PR1_480x480.png

BNK-9018-GIGANET-Adapter_PR2_e52e4c1f-59e9-464e-833a-1238064ca83b_480x480.png

SpartacusMD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to decide if buying the switch is worth it when the only game I really really really want to play as Mario and maybe Zelda. It's hard to justify spending $360 and some change for just one game no matter how much you really wish you could play it.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I'm still trying to decide if buying the switch is worth it when the only game I really really really want to play as Mario and maybe Zelda. It's hard to justify spending $360 and some change for just one game no matter how much you really wish you could play it.

I was also on the fence, but went ahead and got both Mario and BoTW.
I'd say it was forth it, particularly for me because I travel a lot.
I am also looking into The Binding of Isaac, but that $40 tag is too much when the PS4/Vita version is much cheaper.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the switch and its screenshot feature

I only have BOTW so far... but a huge reason I play games is to take screenshots while doing so, my favorite feature of modern consoles

I don't want to wait till I finish BOTW to buy any other games because I really wanna dig in to MK/Splatoon 2/Odyssey, etc

but does it just dump all screenshots taken of all games into one big folder?

on my PS4 it makes subfolders for each game. Making it easy to go through, and manage when exporting them to PC

if the switch just dumps to one big folder, I'd probably have to wait till I'm done taking BOTW screenshots to start another game, that would be too much work otherwise

One folder.

Also, what does "archiving" a game do vs outright deleting? benefits or negatives to either choice?

Archiving keeps the icon on the Home Menu, deleting doesn't. I think if you hit the icon of an archived game, it will prompt you to download it.

OP
OP
Anubis

Anubis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got one today with Mario. Loving it so far, I'm super impressed by how well games look in hand held mode.

Same. This 'switch" feature of the system is really underrated. I love the flexibility it gives and I believe Nintendo has pioneered gaming in this respect.

Anyways I bought the amFilm screen protector and applied it (although it was PITA with the air bubbles).

Now the pro controller and a sd card are my next purchases.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered a Switch off Amazon, I probably should have waited until Black Friday / Christmas for possible bundles but oh well. Looking forward to it!

Reserved Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids for pick up tomorrow and have an amFilm tempered glass screen protector on the way with the console (not looking forward to applying that, screen protectors are something I've always managed to mess up).

Tempted to buy Zelda tomorrow too, but I'm not sure about it difficulty wise. I've heard it's pretty difficult. Is the difficulty curve manageable and not just "this is difficult straight away" or Dark Souls level?

Going to hold off on an SD card for now, I'll only have those 2-3 games for the near future, plus Golf Story, Snake Pass (if it's still on sale by tomorrow night) and possibly Stardew Valley.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried lining up the inside of the dock with those felt pads you put on furniture so it doesn't scratch floors? I read some people did this to avoid damaging the system and have been thinking about doing it.

Tempted to buy Zelda tomorrow too, but I'm not sure about it difficulty wise. I've heard it's pretty difficult. Is the difficulty curve manageable and not just "this is difficult straight away" or Dark Souls level?

Going to hold off on an SD card for now, I'll only have those 2-3 games for the near future, plus Golf Story, Snake Pass (if it's still on sale by tomorrow night) and possibly Stardew Valley.
I didn't find Zelda to be very hard but if you do just take a slow and methodical approach to enemies until you get a hang for dealing with them. The combat is fairly simple but all the different weapon types and the sandbox nature of the game gives you a ton of alternatives to how you deal with obstacles, it's simple and straight forward on the surface but quite complex underneath. So try to keep that in mind if you find yourself stuck on anything. I'd also recommend taking a bit of time to getting the timing down for the dodges and the shield parry as that will make most fights much easier.

Micro SD cards go on sale on Amazon all the time, add the size you want to your wishlist and setup an email alert. This system benefits greatly from going digital with your library and you're gonna want all the space you can get.

AyaTharja

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The Switch is my favorite console. Pretty much only game on it outside of 3ds

Last edited:

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Next month or so is going to be really interesting for 3rd party on switch. If DOOM, Skyrim and Rocket League do well hopefully other developers will take notice.