• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I was in the same predicament as you were. I decided to buy the switch because of the rumoured hardware revision. Nintendo always bundles a console with the pokemon games and they are likely to bundle the new console with the new pokemon game.

Buying the system now is letting me do the following:

1. Purchase physical games that may be out of print by next year (super bomberman r, snipper clips, superbeat xonic, my hero one's justice)
2. Redeem the gold coins for games where applicable (bayonetta, crash bandicoot n sane trilogy, super mario party)
3. Learn everything about the console and how it works to mitigate damage on the rumoured console revision (having the switch docked with a screen protector is melting the adhesive on the bottom right of the screen protector)

If you really think about it, you're going to have a backlog of video games to play whether you buy the switch now or later. Buying it now at least gives you a head start on attempting to manage your backlog. I'm 13 games in already and I doubt I'll play them all to completion.
Damn is the screen protector thing true? My switch does get hot when docked.
So is it a bad idea to get one? How about tempered glass?

Nov 14, 2017
Damn is the screen protector thing true? My switch does get hot when docked.
So is it a bad idea to get one? How about tempered glass?
I use the amfilm Nintendo switch tempered glass screen protector that was recommended on the first page of this thread.

I'm not too bothered by the adhesive melting as it doesn't appear to be dripping into the right speaker. As I said earlier, this is my test drive switch so I'm not too worried about it.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started Mario odyssey and am in love with it. This game is so fucking fun. I need more like this. Is the toad game similar? Do I pre order the new super Mario bros? Or wait for Luigi's mansion?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to buy another Nintendo Switch (I sold my previous one several months ago). I want to reclaim my Nintendo Switch account and use it my new device, but my account is a UK account, and my Switch will be a Canadian Switch (because I'm living in Montreal now).

Are there going to be any issues buying games in Canada and playing them on my UK account? Will I be able to buy DLC for those games on the e-shop with my UK account?

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I'm about to buy another Nintendo Switch (I sold my previous one several months ago). I want to reclaim my Nintendo Switch account and use it my new device, but my account is a UK account, and my Switch will be a Canadian Switch (because I'm living in Montreal now).

Are there going to be any issues buying games in Canada and playing them on my UK account? Will I be able to buy DLC for those games on the e-shop with my UK account?
Switches are region free, so once you login to your UK account, you're good, that's it. Your UK account will continue using the UK eshop. Only issue might be if your payment source is no longer located in the UK? Not sure, you might need to try that part out.

If you need to, you can make another profile on your switch and then create and link a secondary Nintendo account and set its region to Canada and it can peacefully coexist alongside your primary UK account and profile. You can do that for any regional eshop you want an account with. And if you buy games with another account/profile, you can still play it with your original account/profile.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
If you need to, you can make another profile on your switch and then create and link a secondary Nintendo account and set its region to Canada and it can peacefully coexist alongside your primary UK account and profile.
If you don't have an existing balance in your current eShop, just go to Nintendo.com and change your profile's location to Canada. Then the next time you go to the eShop you'll be shopping in the Canadian store. All your purchases are region-free so you can switch back at any time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Switches are region free, so once you login to your UK account, you're good, that's it. Your UK account will continue using the UK eshop. Only issue might be if your payment source is no longer located in the UK? Not sure, you might need to try that part out.

If you need to, you can make another profile on your switch and then create and link a secondary Nintendo account and set its region to Canada and it can peacefully coexist alongside your primary UK account and profile. You can do that for any regional eshop you want an account with. And if you buy games with another account/profile, you can still play it with your original account/profile.

Thanks!

What if I buy a Canadian game (cartridge) and buy DLC using my UK account. Will it work?

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
If you don't have an existing balance in your current eShop, just go to Nintendo.com and change your profile's location to Canada. Then the next time you go to the eShop you'll be shopping in the Canadian store. All your purchases are region-free so you can switch back at any time.
As a slight nuance, a few games have slight variants between regions. I don't have a list that I could share, but an easy example would be the Neo Geo game Thunder Force IV (Europe), which exists as Lightening Force in the US.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
If you want one, get one now. If a new model gets released you can sell your current one and use the funds towards a new one.

I was in the same predicament as you were. I decided to buy the switch because of the rumoured hardware revision. Nintendo always bundles a console with the pokemon games and they are likely to bundle the new console with the new pokemon game.

1. Purchase physical games that may be out of print by next year (super bomberman r, snipper clips, superbeat xonic, my hero one's justice)
2. Redeem the gold coins for games where applicable (bayonetta, crash bandicoot n sane trilogy, super mario party)
3. Learn everything about the console and how it works to mitigate damage on the rumoured console revision (having the switch docked with a screen protector is melting the adhesive on the bottom right of the screen protector)

If you really think about it, you're going to have a backlog of video games to play whether you buy the switch now or later. Buying it now at least gives you a head start on attempting to manage your backlog. I'm 13 games in already and I doubt I'll play them all to completion.
Thanks for the answers!! Will decide to do based on the exclusives and their gameplay. Sooner or later will have to buy one for the Bayonetta and MUA games, among others.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Wait... you bought a system now with the intention of rebuying the system once the revision comes out?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Oh, thanks! Didn't see this before I typed my last reply, I'll do this.

Wait... you bought a system now with the intention of rebuying the system once the revision comes out?

That's what I'm doing now too. Why not? I want to play Switch games now.

Nov 14, 2017

Yes, that is correct. I bought the 3DSXL pokemon bundle when pokemon X/Y were released and then bought the n3DS bundle when Pokemon Red/Blue were released, so I have no issue in purchasing another switch when it's bundled with the next pokemon game.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't understand people's affinity for purchasing special edition/bundled systems when they already own a system. i Understand if they become collector items and hold their value but they don't.

Having said that, I bought a switch recently, and will happily upgrade to the switch Pro if they came out with it.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Welp. Woke up this morning and got my switch out of the dock. It came on but all of the game tile icons were blank with those little loading spinners showing up.

So I switched it off and now it won't turn back on. The system won't even do anything when placed back into the dock. It's dead in the water.

I guess I'm going to have to send it in. Is the process short? How much do you think it's going to run me?

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
Was 0,99€ on eShop.

iY1UQK2.jpg

So why not? ^^

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Woke up this morning and got my switch out of the dock. It came on but all of the game tile icons were blank with those little loading spinners showing up.

So I switched it off and now it won't turn back on. The system won't even do anything when placed back into the dock. It's dead in the water.

I guess I'm going to have to send it in. Is the process short? How much do you think it's going to run me?
Try booting without the SD card in.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
This changes EVERYTHING!!

If you can get this dpad installed, it has completely changed the feel when playing.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Not saying it'll work but I had a similar incident with a dud SD card, icons being blank and the Switch refusing to operate.
Yeah, it didn't work. Still won't turn on. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I tried to start a repair process on their site but after entering my serial number it says "the device isn't eligible for online repair" and suggest I call their 800 number. Guess I'll have to do it tomorrow.

I'm not really pissed per say, although I was finishing up Hyrule Warriors and starting Into the Breach, but I'm more baffled. I really haven't had a system death since the Xbox 360 fiasco. Lol, my near launch Vita ended up lasting longer than this thing (which is what I took to work tonight).

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the post game stuff in Mario Odyssey didn't have such high requirements to unlock it. I beat dark side of the moon, but I don't particularly want to go collect another 250 moons just to play darker side.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have recommendations for low latency wireless earbuds? I'm not looking to spend too much -- I don't need the highest audio quality or anything. But I would at least like low latency ones. As I understand it, there's a specific protocol called aptX LL that the earbuds should implement to have low latency. I already got the Genki adapter to connect them to the Switch.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah, it didn't work. Still won't turn on. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I tried to start a repair process on their site but after entering my serial number it says "the device isn't eligible for online repair" and suggest I call their 800 number. Guess I'll have to do it tomorrow.

I'm not really pissed per say, although I was finishing up Hyrule Warriors and starting Into the Breach, but I'm more baffled. I really haven't had a system death since the Xbox 360 fiasco. Lol, my near launch Vita ended up lasting longer than this thing (which is what I took to work tonight).
I feel your pain, like I posted earlier this is my 4th or 5th Switch by now and I have to send it in too soon.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The Pro Controller that I have has a squeaky left analogue stick, where moving it would result in some friction and squeakiness. Compared to the right one, which is still smooth to move. What is the cause of the squeakiness? Is it because I was a bit rough on it?

Thank you for reading.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad form for me to say I've never had any problems?
I'd say that this user has been extremely unlucky. I still have my launch system and it still looks and runs flawlessly after 400+ hours of usage. Even the screen is still perfect thanks to the tempered glass I slammed on it right out of the box.

The battery is still good too, I fear that's the main thing that will start to show issues at some point. But I don't mind replacing it myself once that happens though, it seems fairly easy to access.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
I Have a headphone and i only want to use it as mic (for fortnite), Is there anyway to output sound from TV ?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
First time I played docked and my Switch got really hot, is that normal? Was playing Smash Bros. Usually always play on handheld and I never noticed it getting hot then.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if you can get new kickstands from Nintendo if your Switch is out of warranty? I got my Switch on launch day and my kickstand no longer stays clicked in, so whenever I have the system in handheld mode it's just hanging out.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Does anyone know if you can get new kickstands from Nintendo if your Switch is out of warranty? I got my Switch on launch day and my kickstand no longer stays clicked in, so whenever I have the system in handheld mode it's just hanging out.
If you're in the US you should be able to get one for $4 from their website: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat831380
Not sure if they add a bad shipping charge on it, hope not. And I'm not sure about other regions' availability.

Oct 26, 2017
are Game saves tied to account or console?

I gameshare with my daughter with my profile on her console. I uploaded a backup save of Smash with all characters and am trying to see if I can have her access that file with her account.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
are Game saves tied to account or console?

I gameshare with my daughter with my profile on her console. I uploaded a backup save of Smash with all characters and am trying to see if I can have her access that file with her account.
The save is linked to the Nintendo Account associated with the cloud backup.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Does anyone use the front USB ports on the dock for charging stuff? I was using them frequently to charge my PS4 controllers and cell phone since the dock is conveniently accessible at the top of my entertainment center but the front USB ports just started acting really wonky (occasionally not providing power). Are they on a timer to disable power if the dock isn't in use, or something? I guess I'll just plug a USB hub into the wall outlet somewhere and forget the dock.