• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna ask this again because this is presenting real problems with me being able to purchase any more games!

Has anyone had an issue where their Switch suddenly will stop connecting to their WiFi network? It can still see my network but it's unable to connect. It hasn't moved, I haven't changed anything about my wifi situation (I've had a router in my basement and an extender on my first floor for months with no connection issues) and it's been working just fine since launch. I've tried restarting it too, but no help.

Any thoughts?

I've googled a bit and I can't figure out if most of these wifi issues I'm googling have the Switch actually able to see the network or not.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna ask this again because this is presenting real problems with me being able to purchase any more games!

I've googled a bit and I can't figure out if most of these wifi issues I'm googling have the Switch actually able to see the network or not.
Have you tried

Making a new wifi network, and connect to that instead? (For example from your phones 4G and share wifi)

Or completely powering off the switch, then on again?

If none of these works, I'd be worried.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Have you tried the typical:

Soft Reset the router (unplug and let it sit for a few minutes
Powered down your switch (hold power button for 3+ secs and select Turn off)
Delete the WiFi in settings and reconnect on switch

?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried

Making a new wifi network, and connect to that instead? (For example from your phones 4G and share wifi)

Or completely powering off the switch, then on again?

If none of these works, I'd be worried.
Have you tried the typical:

Soft Reset the router (unplug and let it sit for a few minutes
Powered down your switch (hold power button for 3+ secs and select Turn off)
Delete the WiFi in settings and reconnect on switch

?

I have restarted my Switch. I haven't actually powered it off and waited though, I can try that. And I deleted the network and re-entered it on the Switch, yeah. I haven't yet messed with my router since I need it for work and I don't want to screw anything up but I might have to try that soon. Resetting it probably won't give me any issues so I think I'll try that first.

I'm hoping the issue is with my wifi range extender rather than the Switch. All of my other devices seem to work fine with the extender though, so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I have restarted my Switch. I haven't actually powered it off and waited though, I can try that. And I deleted the network and re-entered it on the Switch, yeah. I haven't yet messed with my router since I need it for work and I don't want to screw anything up but I might have to try that soon. Resetting it probably won't give me any issues so I think I'll try that first.

I'm hoping the issue is with my wifi range extender rather than the Switch. All of my other devices seem to work fine with the extender though, so I'm not sure.

Sof treset the router, not hard reset it. Basically just power it down and then let the caps power down. Then plug it back in.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm thinking about hooking up my Switch to my PC desktop to be able to play on one of my monitors while also having sound from both PC (discord) and Switch in the same headphones... What would I need to accoplish this?

What I have: A Switch, a PC, 2 monitors, USB headset

What do I need? As cheap as possible.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on getting a Switch, it's always nice to be wrong if it turns out a game or system was better than you thought :)

As for games, you mention not liking jrpgs. Apart from that I do not know whatyou like. I could mention some of my non-rpg top Switch games though

Sonic Mania Plus - 2d platform game, the greatest one in the last 10 years imo
Yoku's island express - Metroidvania / pinball game
Okami - 3d adventure game with an excellent art style and charming characters
Just looked up these and Yoku's looks awesome. Might pick that up, thanks!

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Anyone played covenant of dusk? I'm looking for a 1st person dungeon crawler and I think this is really the only option on switch.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone played covenant of dusk? I'm looking for a 1st person dungeon crawler and I think this is really the only option on switch.

You mean Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk? There's a demo on the eshop and your save transfers over to the full game. It's also on sale for like 30 bucks physical on Amazon US (it was the same at BB but that's done I think).

I bought it from BB but honestly I haven't had the time to crack it open.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Finally bit on the Street Fighter Anniversary collection. Man this is almost unplayable with that sorry excuse for a dpad on the joycons. Do people just get used to it?

I have a pro controller (which also has a terrible dpad but it's better), a pokken controller, and I just got an adapter, but if I wanted to play it connected to my tv all the time I could have just gotten it for another console. Ugh. Maybe I'll have to spring for that hori joycon.

How do the Megaman games control with the button-for-dpad design? Playable?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Finally bit on the Street Fighter Anniversary collection. Man this is almost unplayable with that sorry excuse for a dpad on the joycons. Do people just get used to it?

I have a pro controller (which also has a terrible dpad but it's better), a pokken controller, and I just got an adapter, but if I wanted to play it connected to my tv all the time I could have just gotten it for another console. Ugh. Maybe I'll have to spring for that hori joycon.

How do the Megaman games control with the button-for-dpad design? Playable?
I have the Hori d-pad joycon. I do not have the any 2d fighter for Switch, but I do enjoy Sonic Mania in portable with my hori d-pad. Do remember though, that the hori d-pad can only be played in portable mode. For me it is worth it anyway :)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So my R joycon has now stopped showing the sync LEDs and the sync button (don't care) and unfortunately SL/SR don't work anymore. That means I can't use it as a single controller horizontally when detached in docked/tabletop since you need to press SL+SR and then A to change orientation.
Every other button works both in wireless/portable modes. Any fixes?

The weird thing is that I don't know how I managed a couple of times to have it automatically switch to horizontal mode when detaching it from the console while the L Joycon was still attached to the console.

Anyway, is my R Joycon done as far as playing it in horizontal mode, has this happened to any of you guys?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

It's pretty simple to know if the problem is with your Switch (probably not), just create an hotspot with your smartphone and have the Switch connect to that. If it works, it's the router.

Although I've had my fair share of weird problems with my Switch's wifi and in the end they've fixed themselves just like they appeared: waking up one morning everything was fine again.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty simple to know if the problem is with your Switch (probably not), just create an hotspot with your smartphone and have the Switch connect to that. If it works, it's the router.

Although I've had my fair share of weird problems with my Switch's wifi and in the end they've fixed themselves just like they appeared: waking up one morning everything was fine again.

Funny you should say that because that happened to me too. I have no idea what changed but it works now, though still not great unless it's right next to the router.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wife got me a Switch with Smash for Christmas, yay! I've already bought a case, a tempered glass screen protector, and a 128GB card. And just now, I've bought Let's Go Pikachu, Mario + Rabbids, and Crash Bandicoot on the eShop. I think I'm set as far as spending money goes for a while.

Will things download with the console in sleep mode? What about in the background? Can I play some Smash while stuff is downloading?

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Wife got me a Switch with Smash for Christmas, yay! I've already bought a case, a tempered glass screen protector, and a 128GB card. And just now, I've bought Let's Go Pikachu, Mario + Rabbids, and Crash Bandicoot on the eShop. I think I'm set as far as spending money goes for a while.

Will things download with the console in sleep mode? What about in the background? Can I play some Smash while stuff is downloading?

Yes to your questions.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
So I accidentally drained my Switch battery completely and now it won't show even the charging icon when plugged in for a few hours. Just a black screen.
It's like my fifth Switch I went through by now. I hope it's not completely dead, fuck my whole Let's Go Pokedex would be lost because of that halfassed cloud-backup 2 years into the systems lifespan.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I now own a Switch and one game for it (DOOM, which I am having a blast replaying; it's unbelievable how a game looks this good on a handheld). I'm gonna be limited in my time playing games this coming year, so I didn't want to get a time sink like Diablo III or Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I got the SN30 Pro for Xmas. What modern 2D games does Switch Era recommend are truly best with a real dpad? Looking forward to trying it with some of the classic NES games on the app, too.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any clue why my Switch never connects to my WiFi when I undock ? I have to always clear settings , restart and then re-enter my WiFi password

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I got the SN30 Pro for Xmas. What modern 2D games does Switch Era recommend are truly best with a real dpad? Looking forward to trying it with some of the classic NES games on the app, too.

I highly recommend N++ by metanet software. Super solid ninja platformer with boatloads of content.

Is there a pinball game/service with a free table available?

I'm pretty sure Pinball fx3 still comes with one free table.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I have N++ on PS4, and it's great. Didn't put too much time into that version, though. Maybe have it portable would be better.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
We never got DQ Warriors 2, right? How sure are we that DQ XI is even going to get localized once it comes out in Japan? I just went ahead and bought it on sale for PS4 after waiting initially.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
We never got DQ Warriors 2, right? How sure are we that DQ XI is even going to get localized once it comes out in Japan? I just went ahead and bought it on sale for PS4 after waiting initially.
We also did not get DQXI for 3ds. I wanted it. I have finished the ps4 version, so I'd rather see the Switch version be more like an hd 3ds version, plus an option to play in 2d sprites.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
That Seiken Densetsu collection is still Japan-exclusive, right? Is it even still available? Maybe a physical copy of Okami?
I bought a physical copy of Okami hd from amazon.jp for Switch. Was quite cheap.

But when I visited Japan I mostly bought retro stuff. Old Sega consoles and games were dirt cheap :)

Nov 14, 2017
I am a new switch owner. I purchased the red/blue joycon bundle at Target as they had the $25.00 gift card promotion.

That's where they get you. "Oh I'll use this $25 gift card to buy one game to get started."

I have purchased 13 games, a screen protector, two types of carrying cases, a cartridge case, a 400gb card from SanDisk's website to avoid bootlegs, Splatoon pro controller, the green/pink joycon and a joycon dock charger.

All that definitely did not cost $25.

I'm really disappointed that there are no instruction manuals in the games. It also doesn't help that Nintendo has an opt-in feature for developers/publishers to include an instruction manual. I'm a person that reads an instruction manual before starting a game and I feel lost playing these games.

My Hero One's Justice? Completely lost and didn't know what I was doing for the first hour. The tips on the loading screens should have been featured in the options menu as some of them are walls of text that you can barely finish reading before it cycles to the next tip.

Superbeat: Xonic? Worse. I'm playing and I had no idea how to progress in world tour mode. I spent 30 minutes frustrating myself in searching answers and eventually learned that World Tour is locked behind a leveling system. You start the game at level one and you are supposed to level grind through arcade mode. In doing so, I wound up pressing random buttons on the song select screen without realizing it and turned on some mods that confused me. I had to exit the game because I didn't know what I pressed.

Aside from the lack of instruction manuals, I am happy with my purchases. It's a bit of a let down that you only get about three hours of playtime from the battery when playing in portable mode, but it doesn't bother me too much as I play about 30minutes worth during my lunch break at work. It does suck that it also takes about three hours to charge the console.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I'm really disappointed that there are no instruction manuals in the games.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a $60 game with no manual and the hundreds of tutorial screens scattered throughout the game aren't reviewable. Accidentally skip past a tutorial screen in the middle of battle or forget it after not playing for a week or two? Too bad.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a wonderful game but the documentation situation is completely unacceptable.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I bought a physical copy of Okami hd from amazon.jp for Switch. Was quite cheap.
Me too actually! But it seemed like Amazon jp was only shipping to the US directly for a little while, maybe while they had their initial stock in. Since I preordered my own copy, I've checked a couple times for friends and such, and just did again now, and most sellers aren't offering shipping to the US. Looks like there might be one that does at about 2x markup. I don't know if that's true for other, non-US countries though.

Retro games are definitely a good idea too!

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Me too actually! But it seemed like Amazon jp was only shipping to the US directly for a little while, maybe while they had their initial stock in. Since I preordered my own copy, I've checked a couple times for friends and such, and just did again now, and most sellers aren't offering shipping to the US. Looks like there might be one that does at about 2x markup. I don't know if that's true for other, non-US countries though.

Retro games are definitely a good idea too!
I filled a whole briefcase with games and consoles for a cheap price in 2013. And the games are in really good shape too. Wrapped in plastic in perfect condition. Games like Panzer Dragoon Saga and all Shining Force III chapters for example.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys, passing by to see if I could get some advice.

I've been thinking if I should go ahead and buy a Switch but the thought about a drop in price or the supposed new model has made me doubt lol

The exclusives are nice and all but I could wait some more time and finish my PS4 backlog...

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Hey guys, passing by to see if I could get some advice.

I've been thinking if I should go ahead and buy a Switch but the thought about a drop in price or the supposed new model has made me doubt lol

The exclusives are nice and all but I could wait some more time and finish my PS4 backlog...
If you want one, get one now. If a new model gets released you can sell your current one and use the funds towards a new one.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Spent all weekend trying to finish Hollow Knight. Went to fight a boss today and now my left stick will get stuck going left sometimes a bit. Totally unplayable now.
I've:
updated the controllers
took them off and put them back on
powered the system totally off then back on

Don't know what to do. Problem continues. I'm on a grey launch system btw.

Nov 14, 2017

I was in the same predicament as you were. I decided to buy the switch because of the rumoured hardware revision. Nintendo always bundles a console with the pokemon games and they are likely to bundle the new console with the new pokemon game.

Buying the system now is letting me do the following:

1. Purchase physical games that may be out of print by next year (super bomberman r, snipper clips, superbeat xonic, my hero one's justice)
2. Redeem the gold coins for games where applicable (bayonetta, crash bandicoot n sane trilogy, super mario party)
3. Learn everything about the console and how it works to mitigate damage on the rumoured console revision (having the switch docked with a screen protector is melting the adhesive on the bottom right of the screen protector)

If you really think about it, you're going to have a backlog of video games to play whether you buy the switch now or later. Buying it now at least gives you a head start on attempting to manage your backlog. I'm 13 games in already and I doubt I'll play them all to completion.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Spent all weekend trying to finish Hollow Knight. Went to fight a boss today and now my left stick will get stuck going left sometimes a bit. Totally unplayable now.
I've:
updated the controllers
took them off and put them back on
powered the system totally off then back on

Don't know what to do. Problem continues. I'm on a grey launch system btw.

Sound like a typical joycon connection issue if you were playing docked. Though you said you took them out and put back in so sounds like you were playing handheld? If docked try to move your Switch or play closer or something. This is probably my only major issue with the Switch. My launch joycons do that but I would think the later ones are better.