• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Yes. However, he won't be able to use his account then.
Yeah, as I understood, if he unlinks from his Switch and then link on ours, he will only be able to download and play games on our Switch.

Another question: is it possible to have multiple eShop accounts on a single Switch? I know there are multiple console users, but dunno about the accounts. This will be a shared Switch, so ideally we both would have our separate accounts linked to it, and buy our own games on it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as I understood, if he unlinks from his Switch and then link on ours, he will only be able to download and play games on our Switch.

Another question: is it possible to have multiple eShop accounts on a single Switch? I know there are multiple console users, but dunno about the accounts. This will be a shared Switch, so ideally we both would have our separate accounts linked to it, and buy our own games on it.
Yes, up to 8 accounts.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finding out that video capture works in MHXX I really wish I could change it from 29 seconds to a minute. Where can I suggest this?
Generalising from memory here so the technical aspects is most likely wrong, but I want to say I that the 30 second limit is inherent to the built-in video encoder of the Tegra X1 powering the Switch and may not go any longer without impacting performance.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Grabbed a Switch for $148 yesterday using the Target coupon glitch that occurred Sunday night. Was originally going to sell but I realized if I want to be competitive on eBay I'd really only make like $130 and I have kind of wanted a Switch anyway.

Question is about Bluetooth audio. Has anyone used the following device:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen this one listed on various sites as the best (or one of the better) BT audio solutions currently available. I'm trying to use my Bose QC35s.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello everybody!! I decided to post my Switch Friend Code in here (please just notify me who you are here so I will know who to accept):
6148-3616-1507
My name there is my real name, Dominic.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
LTTP Nintendo Switch
So I bought a Nintendo Switch during Google Express's coupon offering for $225. I had to wait a few days for the tempered glass screen protector to come in before turning it on and seeing if it works, but there it is. I'm now in possession of all of this gen's consoles.

Initial Thoughts
  • The Switch is smaller than I anticipated
  • The Joycons do not detach from the Switch as easily as I anticipated
  • The B and A buttons need the ability to have their functionally swapped. Xbox and PlayStation both use the bottom button in the button diamond as "accept" and the Switch having it as the right button in the diamond is jarring. The number of times I've cancelled a prompt I meant to accept is already infuriating.
  • Wow, so every digital e-store for all 3 systems is slow AF to navigate this generation.
  • The "Voltron" controller configuration (both Joycons attached to the handle) is tiny. I feel like I'm going to break this thing just holding it.
  • The position of the HDMI port out of the back of the dock pointing to the right is inconvenient for my AV setup given the length of HDMI cable provided.
  • I like all the sounds the UI makes.
  • Why can't I make an account on the system? Why do I have to go to another device to make an account?
  • OMG you guys weren't kidding, the games in the eShop are expensive. How is Zelda BOTW and Mario Kart 8 (an old Wii-U port) still $60??
So far, I only have the Octopath Traveler demo... And despite the A and B button pissing me off in the menus, I think the system is pretty cool. I think I'm going to really enjoy having a portable gaming option on my next trip... If I can just find some sales on the Nintendo developed games.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got one and my brother has one. We want to play each others games like you can on xbox. is this possible on switch? My new switch is already telling me to deactivate my brothers switch as the primary on my account as I had set it up with my account when I got it for him as a bday gift. Let me know. thanks.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
  • The B and A buttons need the ability to have their functionally swapped. Xbox and PlayStation both use the bottom button in the button diamond as "accept" and the Switch having it as the right button in the diamond is jarring. The number of times I've cancelled a prompt I meant to accept is already infuriating.
  • The "Voltron" controller configuration (both Joycons attached to the handle) is tiny. I feel like I'm going to break this thing just holding it.
  • Why can't I make an account on the system? Why do I have to go to another device to make an account?
  • OMG you guys weren't kidding, the games in the eShop are expensive. How is Zelda BOTW and Mario Kart 8 (an old Wii-U port) still $60??

Don't worry, they ease up over time. When I first got mine I thought I was going to break it when trying to take them off they were so stiff. Now they slide off easily.
Nintendo do it the way they have always done it. Their button configuration pre-dates the other two hardware companies so blame them for being 'wrong' :p. Seriously though, you will adjust in time as all of us do with multiple systems.
A joycon in each hand untethered to a bit of plastic is so comfortable! It was one of the delights of the Wii for me. Don't miss out by not trying it.
Security? Your Nintendo Account will last beyond the life of the Switch; it's not a Switch account, so that makes sense from that perspective.
The Switch is region free so you can buy from a different region and save some money that way. There's a link to a guide in the OP IIRC.

So I just got one and my brother has one. We want to play each others games like you can on xbox. is this possible on switch? My new switch is already telling me to deactivate my brothers switch as the primary on my account as I had set it up with my account when I got it for him as a bday gift. Let me know. thanks.

This matter was discussed over the last page or so ^^^.

EDIT - oh and if you have any questions about games then the eshop thread is the place to look/ask [whether you wish to buy physical or digital; it is the general Switch games thread, really].

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Welp, left joystick is drifting. Need to test another left joycon to rule out a problem with my Switch itself.

This will be the second time I've sent this left joycon in for repair (it's a yellow set so no chance of me finding a single left yellow replacement)

juninho

May 25, 2018
Does anyone have any experience using the 8bitdo USB bluetooth adapter to hook up a DS4 to control the Switch? Any major issues with it?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
LTTP Nintendo Switch
So I bought a Nintendo Switch during Google Express's coupon offering for $225. I had to wait a few days for the tempered glass screen protector to come in before turning it on and seeing if it works, but there it is. I'm now in possession of all of this gen's consoles.

Initial Thoughts
  • The Switch is smaller than I anticipated
  • Wow, so every digital e-store for all 3 systems is slow AF to navigate this generation.
  • The position of the HDMI port out of the back of the dock pointing to the right is inconvenient for my AV setup given the length of HDMI cable provided.
  • I like all the sounds the UI makes.
So far, I only have the Octopath Traveler demo... And despite the A and B button pissing me off in the menus, I think the system is pretty cool. I think I'm going to really enjoy having a portable gaming option on my next trip... If I can just find some sales on the Nintendo developed games.

- Smaller than expected is good in many ways and a common comment at launch.
- Agree, joycon detachment not quite as smooth as in videos.
- I think nintendo has always configured accept button like that, although I could be wrong, and they were first. It usually takes some adjustment switching between systems, but no big deal.
- eStore needs more options to sort and better organization but haven't thought it particularly slow, but maybe i'm just used to it across systems.
- Probably varies by handsize, but Switch is pretty durable and about as comfortable as any handheld. Pro controller is very helpful for docked.
- I'd say the Switch dock issue that many have is that you have to set it on top of the tv cabinet and it can't really be set in a shelf - if your tv stand isn't wide and you sit the TV on top of it, it can be difficult to find a spot for the dock where it doesn't sit in front of TV.
- Agree on UI sounds, pleasing for who knows why.
- Don't know about account because I had it already on other systems.
- Zelda BOTW should be $60. Its not a Wii U port, was released concurrently and the Switch version was technically superior and sold 80% of the copies. I got 140 hours+ out of it and I missed 20 shrines and haven't touched downloadable. Its one of the games of the generation and a tremendous value when you think about playtime and quality. MK8 you can make an argument for it to be cheaper given its an enhanced Wii U port, but Nintendo would make the argument that it also has a ton of content and has sold like hotcakes at $60, so the market supports that pricing.
- I recommend BOTW, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey as your first 3 games. I put 140 hours into BOTW, 80 into Odyssey, so far only 60 in to Splatoon 2 but its essentially a game you might come back to at any time, some people put in 300+ hours. For $180 that could realistically be 300 hours+ of gameplay. (~60 cents US an hour)

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
- Smaller than expected is good in many ways and a common comment at launch.
- Agree, joycon detachment not quite as smooth as in videos.
- I think nintendo has always configured accept button like that, although I could be wrong, and they were first. It usually takes some adjustment switching between systems, but no big deal.
- eStore needs more options to sort and better organization but haven't thought it particularly slow, but maybe i'm just used to it across systems.
- Probably varies by handsize, but Switch is pretty durable and about as comfortable as any handheld. Pro controller is very helpful for docked.
- I'd say the Switch dock issue that many have is that you have to set it on top of the tv cabinet and it can't really be set in a shelf - if your tv stand isn't wide and you sit the TV on top of it, it can be difficult to find a spot for the dock where it doesn't sit in front of TV.
- Agree on UI sounds, pleasing for who knows why.
- Don't know about account because I had it already on other systems.
- Zelda BOTW should be $60. Its not a Wii U port, was released concurrently and the Switch version was technically superior and sold 80% of the copies. I got 140 hours+ out of it and I missed 20 shrines and haven't touched downloadable. Its one of the games of the generation and a tremendous value when you think about playtime and quality. MK8 you can make an argument for it to be cheaper given its an enhanced Wii U port, but Nintendo would make the argument that it also has a ton of content and has sold like hotcakes at $60, so the market supports that pricing.
- I recommend BOTW, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey as your first 3 games. I put 140 hours into BOTW, 80 into Odyssey, so far only 60 in to Splatoon 2 but its essentially a game you might come back to at any time, some people put in 300+ hours. For $180 that could realistically be 300 hours+ of gameplay. (~60 cents US an hour)

I was really only accusing MK8 as being an old Wii-U port they're charging full price for. Zelda BOTW on the other hand is still not exactly new and also shouldn't still be $60.

One could argue that a great many games could have 100+ hour spent in them, but still don't cost full price a year after launch. Skyrim comes to mind...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any relatively easy way to solve a creaky Switch? I know it's down to the joycons (rail?) in some way. The Switch is a nice piece of hardware, but I can't help but consider it flimsy in that regard.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sent the following question to 8BitDo over email, but they only replied by saying that the motion control doesn't work (in pretty broken English).

Anyone with an SF30PRO/SN30PRO that could answer these questions?

The 8BitDo SF30 Pro, when connected to a PC with Steam over Bluetooth, is it recognized by Steam as an Xbox Controller with Xinput, or as a Switch Pro Controller? Since Xinput doesn't support motion control etc.

Also, when connected to Steam, does it support using the home button on the controller to launch the Steam overlay?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I was really only accusing MK8 as being an old Wii-U port they're charging full price for. Zelda BOTW on the other hand is still not exactly new and also shouldn't still be $60.

One could argue that a great many games could have 100+ hour spent in them, but still don't cost full price a year after launch. Skyrim comes to mind...

Yeah, but that's Nintendo. They don't lower the price of their own games usually until they become greatest hits. But BOTW is only about 15 months old and is the reigning GOTY. What I'm telling you in the end is that it is more than worth it for $60 bucks. Sure you can play any game for 100s of hours if you choose, but BOTW and the other games I mentioned are AAA experiences with content that will keep you entertained for so many hours that in the end they really are tremendous values, particularly when you compare to how much you spend on other forms of entertainment.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

Yet they are and still sell extremely well so it seems that the wider market disagrees with you. If they agreed with you and these games didn't sell at those price points then Nintendo would have to drop the prices to a level that the prospective purchaser would be happy to pay. That's how it works with any product not just Nintendo games. If those games are not worth it to you at those prices that's fine, that is entirely your perogative. I would like to double dip on MK8 but not enough to pay full price for it so I will wait until I can pick it up at a price with which I feel more comfortable. BOTW I was happy to double dip on when it was in the recent sale however. After putting 200+ hours into it on Wii U and still being nowhere near finished with it I could quite easily justify that amount to myself. If you feel differently to me that's fine; it is entirely up to the individual to decide.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone using a XBO, DS4 as a controller? If so, what are you using?

So far, I've seen the Magic NS, and the 8bitdo Retro Receiver. Honestly, don't think I'll use it docked much, but I don't want to spend 90 CAD for a pro controller, or 60 for the SN30, when I've got the aformentioned controllers here already.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Heading out to the shops with some tax return money in my pocket ina few minutes.

What's the quick consensus on Pro Controller vs the cheaper "Face" off Mario ones? Is the extra expenditure worth it?

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone ! I'm planning on buying a switch either today or tomorrow and I'm curious about different things, I hope you don't mind some questions

First I heard there's different screen quality, is it still the case ? Can I know the quality of the screen thank to the serial number on the box ?
Do I have to buy a SD card ? Or is there enough of internal storage for a few games ?

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Quick question about adding on more storage.

Do I need to format, backup, or do anything, or does it just count as additional storage, almost like a second drive I can keep installations on?

Thanks,

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone ! I'm planning on buying a switch either today or tomorrow and I'm curious about different things, I hope you don't mind some questions

First I heard there's different screen quality, is it still the case ? Can I know the quality of the screen thank to the serial number on the box ?
Do I have to buy a SD card ? Or is there enough of internal storage for a few games ?

I don't know about the screen, but regarding the necessity of an SD card, I managed fine without one throughout the first year of owning a Switch. I just removed and redownloaded large games when I wanted to play them. Plus, most of the memory was taken up by smaller games with a relatively minor storage impact. If you plan on buying retail games digitally (e.g. FIFA, Wolfenstein, Doom, BotW, etc.), then you might want to invest in an SD card, but otherwise it's not really necessary.

Quick question about adding on more storage.

Do I need to format, backup, or do anything, or does it just count as additional storage, almost like a second drive I can keep installations on?

Thanks,

My SD(XC) card worked out of the box. The Switch downloaded a compatibility update and it was fine. It didn't format the card to my knowledge, just made a Nintendo Switch folder in the root folder that contains all data. Once you insert an SD card the Switch treats that as the default storage area though, so take that into account.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you daxy for the answer, I'm mostly going to buy indie games only available in digital, I'm still physical.

Nobody else knows about the screen quality ? since I'm not going to put it on my TV, I'm really concerned about it.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Thank you daxy for the answer, I'm mostly going to buy indie games only available in digital, I'm still physical.

Nobody else knows about the screen quality ? since I'm not going to put it on my TV, I'm really concerned about it.

I haven't really heard anything about differeing screen quality unlike I did with the 3DS. It is likely that Nintendo may source screens from more than one manufacturer so one screen may be 'warm' and one 'cool' but not much else would be different I would think. You won't know until you buy and you can always return it, no? It is very easy to get anxious about such things. Frankly I would just buy it. I'm sure you will love it.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
I just put my card in, and new games starting saving to it when downloaded. All save files stay on internal storage.

I don't know about the screen, but regarding the necessity of an SD card, I managed fine without one throughout the first year of owning a Switch. I just removed and redownloaded large games when I wanted to play them. Plus, most of the memory was taken up by smaller games with a relatively minor storage impact. If you plan on buying retail games digitally (e.g. FIFA, Wolfenstein, Doom, BotW, etc.), then you might want to invest in an SD card, but otherwise it's not really necessary.

My SD(XC) card worked out of the box. The Switch downloaded a compatibility update and it was fine. It didn't format the card to my knowledge, just made a Nintendo Switch folder in the root folder that contains all data. Once you insert an SD card the Switch treats that as the default storage area though, so take that into account.

Thanks =D

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Was playing hollow knight last night and realized that part of the fan vents on the outside shell of my system just straight up broke off :l

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing hollow knight last night and realized that part of the fan vents on the outside shell of my system just straight up broke off :l

Nintendo should repair/replace your outer casing for free. Cracking around the heating vent is a known issue, because of the tension from the (often too tight) screw right there, combined with the heat on the thinner plastic.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if this is the right place to post it but I'd like to fill up my friends list a bit more so oh well.

SW-7511-3071-2156
I don't play too much online atm but once Smash comes out I will be on that lots and happy to play with anyone.

MagitekDad

Oct 25, 2017
Strangest thing just happened: my Switch was docked, but wouldn't wake up at first. When it finally did I got a black screen with an error message"nintendo switch error code 2011-0301" and instructions to reset my Switch. So I did, it booted back on, then three seconds later.....did it again, same error message. Reset again, third time it worked fine. On my error history I can see it listed, but.....I can't view the error, it's greyed out. The error isn't present on Nintendo's website. And according to this list, 2168-0002 happened (network issues) but I never saw it.

The hell? Anyone else experience this?

MagitekDad

Oct 25, 2017
Strangest thing just happened: my Switch was docked, but wouldn't wake up at first. When it finally did I got a black screen with an error message"nintendo switch error code 2011-0301" and instructions to reset my Switch. So I did, it booted back on, then three seconds later.....did it again, same error message. Reset again, third time it worked fine. On my error history I can see it listed, but.....I can't view the error, it's greyed out. The error isn't present on Nintendo's website. And according to this list, 2168-0002 happened (network issues) but I never saw it.

The hell? Anyone else experience this?

Even stranger: this is what happened to me, exact same error code. Only mine was just docked normally. I was trying to use an 8bitdo controller, which didn't seem to work, so I fired up my pro controller instead. Maybe that caused it?

https://youtu.be/YIpasPIOELM