• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I have an SD card with games on it, and after I go through the transfer process to a newer Switch, I have to format it , insert it to the new Switch and re-download the games onto it again? I can't just can't put the sd card with games into the new Switch?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have an SD card with games on it, and after I go through the transfer process to a newer Switch, I have to format it , insert it to the new Switch and re-download the games onto it again? I can't just can't put the sd card with games into the new Switch?
Just put the SD Card into the new Switch.
It will force you to purge the game data stored on it there and then (photo/video Albums are kept). Don't format it outside the Switch unnecessarily.
There is no way to bypass the purge step. The games stored on the SD Card are encrypted and only work on the Switch they were initially downloaded to, you have to re-download each game.

Mos Def

Sep 17, 2019
You can transfer the games from your old microSD card to your new one if you have a card reader or something.
Just copy and paste all the files then insert it to your Nintendo Switch. Done.
You dont have to re-download them at all with this way.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can transfer the games from your old microSD card to your new one if you have a card reader or something.
Just copy and paste all the files then insert it to your Nintendo Switch. Done.
You dont have to re-download them at all with this way.
You do if you're moving Switches and not just upgrading your SD card.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
if I bought a Switch Lite could I also play all my digital games on that one too as long as I was logged in, like with Xbox Live? or am I screwed if I want two systems?

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
I recall that around the time of the OG's release, there was a big scare about how putting the Switch in the dock could scratch its screen. Is this still the case? What could one do to avoid this?

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Has there been any rumors of Subnautica coming to Switch?

Really wanna play it but I know the second I buy it on 1X we'll hear about it coming to Switch lol...

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help guys. Just counted my digital games and I have about 65GB worth of data. At least you can re-download more than one game from the estore ( your own purchases)

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
If I bought a US game and my Switch account is set as UK, do I need to set up a US account to play it? or is there any reason I would want to do it? Say for example if I want to buy DLC in the future, does it work like PS4 where I need to buy the DLC from the same region?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
if I bought a Switch Lite could I also play all my digital games on that one too as long as I was logged in, like with Xbox Live? or am I screwed if I want two systems?
You can have one Primary console (can play your games offline) and multiple Secondary consoles. The secondary need to be connected online to play said games (and only one of them can play at the same time, if you happen to have multiple).

I recall that around the time of the OG's release, there was a big scare about how putting the Switch in the dock could scratch its screen. Is this still the case? What could one do to avoid this?
Was overblown due to launch frenzy, but you can get a tempered glass screen protector to prevent it. I had one from amFilm on my OG Switch but I haven't put one on my new Switch and probably won't.

If I bought a US game and my Switch account is set as UK, do I need to set up a US account to play it? or is there any reason I would want to do it? Say for example if I want to buy DLC in the future, does it work like PS4 where I need to buy the DLC from the same region?
Depends on the game, but I believe the vast majority of releases are the same SKU where DLC bought works cross region so-to-speak. There are exceptions like where the same game is published by different publishers in different regions.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
You can have one Primary console (can play your games offline) and multiple Secondary consoles. The secondary need to be connected online to play said games (and only one of them can play at the same time, if you happen to have multiple).

Was overblown due to launch frenzy, but you can get a tempered glass screen protector to prevent it. I had one from amFilm on my OG Switch but I haven't put one on my new Switch and probably won't.

Depends on the game, but I believe the vast majority of releases are the same SKU where DLC bought works cross region so-to-speak. There are exceptions like where the same game is published by different publishers in different regions.

Thanks.
It's Astral Chain so don't think there should be any problem

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.
It's Astral Chain so don't think there should be any problem
Someone else might want to chime in because I am not sure. I do believe it can differ game to game.
Rule of thumb if a game's bought from one region's eShop and it shows purchased/downloaded on another region's eShop they share DLC offers.

Oct 26, 2017
My right joycon won't turn on/charge D: looked and it seems it's a problem and there's no free returns in the UK. The sadder part is I don't even use the joycons, I've been using my wii u pro controller with an 8bitdo but can't get that working without a right joycon xD

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Seems like a pain if you're trying to play your secondary on the go.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So, maybe this is asked a lot. I'm upgrading my Original Switch with a newer one of the extended battery life. The old one I'll give it to the little ones (my niece as a birthday gift).

Is there something to keep in mind with the transfer? A guide? I have NSO so I believe some of my games are already on the cloud but any tips?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 60170

User requested account closure
Sep 23, 2019
Dunno if anyone's mentioned already but I recently switched to the upgraded Switch model and the transfer was a great opportunity for me to organize which games I wanted on on-board memory and which I wanted on my SD card! I held off inserting my SD card until I had redownloaded everything I wanted first.

I didn't know the first time around that once I put an SD card in everything would save to it by default, this left me with an awkward amount of leftover space on both, but no longer!

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Whoo! I bought a joycon replacement stick off Amazon and swapped out the stick on my OG gray joycon I had long given up on due to massive drift (I knew contact spray probably wouldn't help...). The process took about 20 minutes (with most wasted trying to reconnect the new stick's cable). And now it works great again!

Now I need to decide if I use the other stick to do the same with my splatoon joycons, or see if I can get Nintendo to fix those...

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
is there any reason to get the Switch Lite over the normal Switch when you will mostly play at home and in handheld mode?

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Anything in particular I should know before buying a memory card? I don't need to keep everything on the system, as I usually focus on one big (main?) game with one or two smaller ones to switch it up (heh) a bit from time to time.

Considering that, I was thinking about something in the range o 120GB. Any recommendations?

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Only one can play the same game? Or any game? My girlfriend got the new Switch with better battery and I got the old one. Can she play for example Astral Chain on her Primary Console and I play Fire Emblem on the secondary at the same time?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this - is Nintendo switch online down for anybody else? The website said there is maintenance?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm buying a Switch with an SD card tomorrow - can I turn it on after putting the SD card in or should I install it after?

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Hi guys, this is going to be long, but hopefully someone will power through! I'm considering finally getting a Switch. I already own a PC, an Xbox and a PS4 and use them quite a lot. If I get the Switch, it would be my first foray into Nintendo consoles since the Wii (and before that, just the gameboy).

Where things stand in terms of prices where I live: the OG switch (V1) is around 330$ with a parallel import, the Lite is around 215$ with the 'official', authorized importer who is known to fix joycon drifts during warranty (one year) and the V2 is around 390$ again with a parallel import. The V2 is also available for purchase from Amazon US for a few hours time every month, though, for about 350$. I guess the question is, which version would you get assuming these were the prices in your region, if at all.

To answer your questions - I would probably play on TV quite a lot given the option, but honestly, I don't know if the lack of option to dock would really bother me. I also consider this to be a complementary console, especially given how I already own others this gen, and I feel saving some cash for the next-gen launch is important.

I'm also not a 100% sure I'll fall in love with this console, even though I have about 8 games which I really want to experience, which is typically the point where I start seriously thinking about getting a new console. I also really like the notion of playing handheld, it's something I do feel like I missing out on.

I didn't play a ton of 1P Nintendo titles in the past, and my mind wasn't exactly blown away by some of the Wii 1P back in the day, especially Mario Galaxy and Zelda - I enjoyed them... for a few hours. But I'm not sure if that's really relevant, seeing as fifteen years have passed.

Anyway, the Lite seems like it has a smaller barrier of entry. I can afford it, but spending in excess of 300$ on a complementary console might feel a little too much. But.. maybe I will end up regretting only getting a Lite? Maybe I should skip the Switch entirely? Man, IDK. That's why I want to hear from you guys! Especially those who actually have the Lite.

For reference, some of the games I'm interested in are Odyssey, BOTW, Link's Awakening, the upcoming Panzer Dragoon Remakes, Doom 64, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem and some of the older NES/SNES stuff which I've never played. Not really interested in Smash, Mario Party etc.

Last edited:

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone grab the new purple & orange Joycons? Thoughts? Super tempted to snag a pair, but why oh why couldn't we get a matching set for the purples? 😭

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Anyone grab the new purple & orange Joycons? Thoughts? Super tempted to snag a pair, but why oh why couldn't we get a matching set for the purples? 😭

Bought today. Was a touch decision though as I just bought the Lite. But..I love my joycons and these colors may be the best looking set for that Halloween vibe. Would have loved matching sets for all colors indeed, love matching pairs like the Odyssey set.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Bought today. Was a touch decision though as I just bought the Lite. But..I love my joycons and these colors may be the best looking set for that Halloween vibe. Would have loved matching sets for all colors indeed, love matching pairs like the Odyssey set.

I hear ya—got the Odyssey pair myself and they're great! What's your take on how neon-y these new purple/orange ones are? YouTube reviewers seem to indicate that the purple is not neonish at all, whereas the orange definitely gives off a neon tone?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I wanted to wait until this thread came back up for this one.

Normally I haven't fiddled too much with the Internet Settings on my Switch but I had to replace my modem (absolute bargain basement stock standard) with another absolute lemon recently. Switch wifi online connectivity is extremely slow now. I've tried to diagnose and have found the following:

The NAT Type for the Switch was Type A. Now it's Type B. I sometimes connect it via ethernet with the adaptor, but I wanted to sort this out. What's a good explainer (preferably not video) on configuring the optimal settings on the modem itself for Switch online?

Cheers.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I hear ya—got the Odyssey pair myself and they're great! What's your take on how neon-y these new purple/orange ones are? YouTube reviewers seem to indicate that the purple is not neonish at all, whereas the orange definitely gives off a neon tone?

The purple is pretty dark and not really neon, the orange is like a very bright almost like glowing pumpkin orange. Problem with most YT movies that the colors aren't what you see in real life, but fortunately I saw them at the store and really loved them. They had the neon yellow and dark blue too. The dark blue would be a nice combo with the dark purple one. But...I just recovered from buying the Lite, so the blue/yellow set will have to wait for a while 😉

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
OK, my left Joy-Con (launch unit) is completely borked with the drift situation. Does anyone recommend the Hori replacement controllers? I don't care about losing rumble and gyro functionality, i just want to play games without constantny being dragged to the left.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
OK, my left Joy-Con (launch unit) is completely borked with the drift situation. Does anyone recommend the Hori replacement controllers? I don't care about losing rumble and gyro functionality, i just want to play games without constantny being dragged to the left.

I know this doesn't answer your question but if you're in the US, you can send it in to Nintendo to get it fixed for free.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I know this doesn't answer your question but if you're in the US, you can send it in to Nintendo to get it fixed for free.

Wow, I didn't realize how painless that process was. I already have a shipping label ready to go. Thanks!

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I'm going on a long trip soon and wanted to know, is it safe to charge your switch using the pro controller USB3 cable and plug it on the plug of an iPhone charger (the thing oyu plug in a wall and has a USB plug) ?

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm going ona long trip soon and wanted to know, is it sfe to charge your switch using the pro controller USB3 cable and plug it on the plug of an iPhone charger (the thing oyu plug in a wall and has a USB plug) ?
Probably, but I feel it's worth investing in good USB PD chargers. Just replaced the one I had in my car after 2 years. Old USB chargers can get dodgy after a while.

Oct 25, 2017
So I have an OG Switch and got my son a lite for Xmas.
Should I start going all digital? I love physical , the prices and option to trade in

but if I go digital then when we go on trips or long rides I won't need to bring all the carts with for him to play. We can also play new releases at the same time.
I'm conflicted

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Should I start going all digital? I love physical , the prices and option to trade in

but if I go digital then when we go on trips or long rides I won't need to bring all the carts with for him to play. We can also play new releases at the same time.
I'm conflicted
If you use the same account (I guess so), consider the limitation that the secondary Switch will play games only if connected online. Also you cant play the same game on 2 different switches at the same time with the same account.

Oct 25, 2017
If you use the same account (I guess so), consider the limitation that the secondary Switch will play games only if connected online. Also you cant play the same game on 2 different switches at the same time with the same account.
I think I'll give him his own account. As long as my account is on his system he can play on his account and I can play on mine. That's the one loophole

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017

I'm conflicted
If you go digital, you can't just lend him your game, unless one of you always have wifi.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have one ninendvoucher left. Have preordered Luigi's mansion already

shouldI save it for animal crossing next spring, or use it for kinks awakening and buy two more? Not sure what else would be available in the next 12 months though

kinda regretting using on on Mario maker 2 as I'm not really playing it and unlikely to make anything

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to add games to the Wishlist only from the Switch itself? I cant find any button from the browser version of the store... :(