• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
xsfNUqC.png

64.99 CA$ for a 3 button genesis pad lmao
The only justification I can find for that Genesis controller is that somehow Sega made Nintendo pay through the nose for the licence.
Shit is ridiculous.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
People will pay it sadly. The AC DLC isn't a bonus to me so I'm not getting anything extra there.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
The new plan is $50 per year. Current members can upgrade to the new plan at a prorated rate. The family plan is $80 per year and can be used on up to 8 different Nintendo Accounts/Switches. It can also be upgraded at a prorated rate.
Is the family plan based on account sharing the sub or based on hardware. I have two switches and I assume a basic sub, does this mean I can still run the software on both switches as long as it's my own account?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
At this point just let me buy the games separately... even if it's $15 per game and I exceed the cost of a yearly subscription with the games I purchased, at least I don't have to stay subbed and I can just launch them from my home screen.
They won't do this. Getting a consistent subscription fee from you is significantly better for Nintendo.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Ya, I had that problem on other consoles even though I had set the Switch up pretty early for kid accounts so I know what you're going through. If you only have one Switch system, then all your purchases will be accessible by her on her account. The problem is if you have multiple Switch systems where you have to approach it a certain way. If you have two, then you can get around it by letting her have the system designated as the main system and then you just use the secondary which will need an online check. If you have three, that's where it becomes problematic. I'm also coming to the realization that because purchases are tied to my account that my kid will lose access to those if they ever splinter off on to their own system. Digital content gets more complicated when you expand to more devices unfortunately.

Yeah we got two Switches. She just essentially used my account on hers and since we only have one copy of games (I buy mostly Physical), I just find something else to play while she's accessing things with DLC. We barely have an overlap, but it's something to consider changing since I plan on jumping in with a friend to split a Family Plan.

Thanks for the run down. This stuff can get wild trying to juggle lol

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
It's fairly obvious Nintendo is doing this one time "gift" of the Animal Crossing DLC to entice the absolutely massive New Horizons user base to buy the NSO upgrade, and then they're hoping enough people stay on or forget to cancel and spend another $50 next year.

They are not going to be adding more DLC for "free" after this. We should know how Nintendo works enough by now to understand they always go the way of squeezing out the most money for the same shit from their customers.

They've never been a pro-consumer company. And we keep buying into their terrible (but smart) business practices, so they'll keep doing it.

Jordan94

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm switching from the single plan to the family expansion pack. My worry is how our money we already spent for our current plans. My mom (loves animal crossing) just renewed her plan and she's worried she lost that money if she switches to the family plan.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Usually you get discounts if you're subbed to the premium subscription services on other platforms. They're giving us crumbs and calling it a feast.
???? Again don't see what that has to do with anything, like the other two are real issues but that one is more of a "me problem" since the base service still cost $20, they even had the vouchers too

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Or not at all.
The prospect of having a 20Go app just to play GC games on the newfangled system is not gonna be any more enticing now or in 2 years.

The NSO is not coming to a halt after N64 in terms of consoles games, my friend. They are doubling down on it with huge price increases to match. We are definitely getting more console systems added in the coming years

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The pricing is kinda insane especially for the family plan that should just be part of the regular $50 one

Oct 27, 2017
I'm switching from the single plan to the family expansion pack. My worry is how our money we already spent for our current plans. My mom (loves animal crossing) just renewed her plan and she's worried she lost that money if she switches to the family plan.

Ah. Its a shame you and your mum weren't already on a family plan together...

Naru

May 11, 2019
Inflating the price with this DLC makes no sense (or does it). Exclude it and make it 10 bucks for fucks sake!

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I get this but the price would STILL be egregrious even if it was the 6 button variant.
i mean i'm not excusing it, all the NSO exclusive controllers have been overpriced

just saying that the absurd cost is better justified in one region that has a better version of the same overpriced controller

Inflating the price with this DLC makes no sense (or does it). Exclude it and make it 10 bucks for fucks sake!
the DLC is available without the expansion pack, it's a value add here. removing it would likely not adjust the cost in their eyes.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just got in trouble at work because I unrestrained yelled out "Are you insane!?" at this

because, well

ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE!?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The NSO is not coming to a halt after N64 in terms of consoles games, my friend. They are doubling down on it with huge price increases to match. We are definitely getting more console systems added in the coming years
Absolutely, we're gonna see GB, GBC, GBA even DS before we see Gamecube though.
Heck since we're seeing Genesis, there's possibility for Turbo Gfx, Master System and others.
We're not seeing Saturn for the same reason we're not seeing Gamecube, filesize makes the whole plan of NSO unworkable on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
They are not going to be adding more DLC for "free" after this. We should know how Nintendo works enough by now to understand they always go the way of squeezing out the most money for the same shit from their customers.
Since the launch of the original Switch Online, Nintendo has released new "free" games every year for Nintendo Switch Online customers, + a new system (SNES) + game trials, so I feel very positive that they will keep expanding the Expansion's perks as time progresses.

Oct 28, 2017
Kind reminder to everyone. ALWAYS immediately turn off auto renew when you sub to something. Do it straight away every time even if you think you want to remain subbed for years. Turn it off the minute after you sub. Because forgetting about it is exactly what these scummy companies are banking on.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I know they pro rated my individual plan when I upgraded to the family plan.

They can help if you fill out a support ticket when making a family plan with two or more outstanding individual plans

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
i mean i'm not excusing it, all the NSO exclusive controllers have been overpriced

just saying that the absurd cost is better justified in one region that has a better version of the same overpriced controller
Definitely.
Probably cause the snes controller is 39.99 which is a far better controller than the 3 button genesis pad
Yeah that's what I'm coming from.
Why even care about the Genesis one which is not even ideal when they have another that is cheaper too!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They are 100% banking on people going "I was going to get the Animal Crossing dlc anyway so I might as well for a year" then forgetting about auto-renew.

And people in here are already setting themselves up for disappointment by rationalizing "it'll probably include future platforms added after N64 and Genesis" and "it'll probably include one big dlc like the Animal Crossing one each year". Nah, this is what they're offering. Don't make yourself miserable waiting for something that wasn't announced.

I agree on the notion that you shouldn't buy based on the speculation of possible future additions and that you should base it off of what Nintendo has officially announced.

That said, I just can't see a path where Nintendo isn't adding something else to justify that price increase. While of course companies bank on the auto renew for a certain extent, I think with such a price, that only gets them so far and they're going to have to have long term plans in mind. With such a price increase, the only way they can even remotely justify it will have to be more DLC. Adding more retro games isn't going to cut it for that price tag. More DLC is really the only path on the table where they can continue with that price point. So I think it's highly likely to happen and Animal Crossing is only going to carry it so far. Remember they need to try to attract others who don't have Animal Crossing and everyone isn't going to subscribe on day one so there's a constant need to show value in the service beyond day one subscribers.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Get the family plan for $80 and bring on 7 friends. That's what I do now. I just need to get three more friends on my account. Costs me $10/year. Boom.

Naru

May 11, 2019

the DLC is available without the expansion pack, it's a value add here. removing it would likely not adjust the cost in their eyes.
I know they included it to "justify" the insane price. What I am saying is "STOP it"! 10 bucks for two additional emulators and no DLC.

I am going to be part of the problem and buy this for the remaining months I have and then cancel it and just take NSO.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
Do I still get to keep my 20e sub? Because I couldn't care less for those games (I mean it's so not worth it) but I need online for Tetris 99.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I need to renew my family plan and my girlfriend will be getting the Animal Crossing expansion anyway.

So fuck you Nintendo.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I figured them not announcing the price meant it was going to bad for the direct but they would still upsell to most subscribers. But that price increase is so far beyond reasonable I think this might even hurt renewals of the standard subs.

People are going to revolt over this? Surely the sticker shock must force a change within 2 months from now.