• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So a lot of liked features for Animal Crossing,

But that Expansion Pass pricing.

latest

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
For those of you complaining that N64 / Genesis virtual consoles aren't worth the extra money how bout you just... don't fuckin' buy it and stick with the $19.99 plan? Not that hard.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
from 20 to 50 bucks so heres some n64 and genesis roms with some dlc that will be stale in a week. hhahahaha what in the fuck.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So just to get this straight

If you want the AC expansion you can buy it individually or you can pay for the switch online expansion and it's included
But if you don't want the AC expansion but do want the N64/Genesis stuff you have no option that doesn't include AC stuff?

Good lord Nintendo are just ridiculous sometimes. Like sure, if stuff like the AC expansion will be included it makes sense for an option with that to be more expensive, but what about all the people who just want the VC stuff? It's just mind bogglingly dumb
I imagine it'll make more sense a year from now if/when we see more dlc expansions added to the service for free. It's actually kinda brilliant marketing. Eventually there will be a game you own that gets a $20-30 expansion you want that is free on NSO+, so that'll get you to upgrade to the expansion pack. Then because you've upgraded suddenly games you may have passed on like Animal Crossing or the next Pokemon suddenly have all this free dlc content for you to try if you buy it.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like something I won't buy till it has some DLC I care about included. If I was still actively playing Animal Crossing and felt whatever DLC was announced for it was worth that much, I'd just spring for the Expansion Pak. But I'm not, so it's a no go for me right now.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. What if you don't play AC and don't want the DLC?

$50 for N64 games is insane, plus most (if not all) of those Genesis games you can get for dirt cheap on Steam, they're on sale there all the time.

Then welcome to the same problem everyone who wants to play online, but has no interest in the old NES/SNES games, has. Subsciption services are almost all about fleecing you out of money by saying "BUT WE'VE GOT SO MUCH CONTENT!" even if you only care about one specific thing.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
They need to get rid of borders on NES & SNES apps. For N64 it works out to £2.91 month so I'll go for it!

Edit launches October 26th!

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I can stomach it because I share the service with 4 others so its still less than $5 a month but they better update the shit outa those N64 and Genesis apps.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I play my switch a lot and I'm very excited for the N64 stuff so this price is cool with me

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
If you aren't into Animal Crossing, thats a lot of yearly money for N64 and Genesis ROMs...

And even if you are into Animal Crossing, if they aren't adding significant content for games you like to play every year to this pass you're better off just buying the standalone DLC.

Bad deal IMO.

Jan 29, 2018
It can be purchased on it's own for $25

You can buy it on its own for 25

The update is free. The Happy Home Expansion is $25.

You get the free update, and you can buy the DLC for $24.99

No, you can get it separately for $25 as well. You don't need the Expansion Pass for the DLC, but it's included if you do upgrade.

You can buy the paid DLC update separately.

Gotcha. I knew there was a free update coming, I didn't know there was also paid dlc. I guess I gotta watch the Direct to see what the difference is.

I hope I can buy the N64 controller without upgrading...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I know $50 a year isn't that much, but not only is that just a clear example of "we know you assholes will play it", that doesn't spell anything good for further expansions.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the EU prices.....that's not too bad at all.

I wasn't expecting much from the service outside of the classic games but Nintendo might be ready to offer more interesting stuff for that price. Don't think it's gonna stay at AC DLC, Mega Drive and 64 games.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Said this in the Direct thread, but I'm guessing other games might get similar treatments. Perhaps they'll rotate things around, or just keep adding to it. $30 is quite a lot for just N64 and Genesis games, even if it is still cheaper than something like PS+.

Personally I don't mind the increase as I can afford it, and in the UK it seems we've fared slightly better as it has gone from £18 to £35. EDIT: Or not, we actually pay more for the regular yearly membership haha, so it's about the same.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I could've gone for an extra £10, but I don't need another place I'm actively not playing n64 games on for that much

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Came here to complain about the "insane" until my partner told me "hold on, the new AC DLC is included!".

So now we don't have to purchase this twice for 50 bucks, amazing. 😊

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Depending on how many DLC packs/emulators they decide to include in the future this could eventually be a pretty cool idea.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
So can I just get the n64 thing without paying the $25/year for AC which I don't even have or play??? Like a $5/yr more option since that's the difference taking out AC?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
You know if you've got only two switches, you can share all digital content between them without buying it twice, by setting up the accounts in a specific way, right?
My younger brother and an irl friend are also on my nso family plan, and I already share games with another friend so that wouldn't work for my sister. The switch is also a gift for my sister and her family for her birthday/xmas, so I'm making sure she's fully covered and with a 4 year old, no added confusion or stress.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
So, from 35 USD to 80 USD for the family pass.

That's up from 4.4 USD per person per year, to 10 USD per person.

I personally really don't think it's much, but I'll have to ask the others on my family pass whether they think it's worth it or not...

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to "ouch broken heart" the shit out of this on the switch news feed. Take that Nintendo!

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno.

The price is steep I was expecting something along the $30 range. I suppose it works itself out to $25 if you factor out the AC DLC, but being only kind of lukewarm about a Happy Home Designer sequel, I'm not completely sold, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for me yet.

In any event, unlike the current NSO which I have set up to just auto-renew, I certainly would keep this as a one time purchase and only renew if there was another DLC offer for a future game that I was interested in. I know that's basically admitting to just renting the N64 (and Genesis games I guess) for $25 rather than purchasing, but for a year that seems fine. But for $50 it's probably too much, so any DLC bundled in would have to clinch it. Still not completely sure about the Animal Crossing DLC though.

iKhameleon

Oct 27, 2017
That's a little steep for me tbh. If more is added down the line to increase the value proposition, maybe. Not worth it as it stands now.

Aug 12, 2019
I literally gasped. $25 for this Animal Crossing DLC is already insane. The game sold 35 million copies unfinished and now they want to charge the price of a new game to finish it

The big update that "completes" AC is free. The brand new game (because Happy Home Designer was an entirely separate and unique game previously and that's what this DLC is a sequel to) is $25 when they previously sold Happy Home Designer for $40. It was expensive then for sure, but I don't think the way AC is handling stuff on its own is all that bad right now.