• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
With a new year comes new speculation on what games or platforms Nintendo will add to their service. We still only have NES and SNES. Do you think that Nintendo will add another platform such as N64 or Gameboy, and if they do will there be a price increase?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think Switch Online is very good value right now. $20 a year for pretty much all the NES and SNES games I'd ever want to play, in addition to Tetris 99. If they add N64 I'm anticipating a price increase.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I expect next to nothing but we'll see. The service has more or less been dropping in value lately for continual subscribers so you would hope that they would do something to address it. My unlikely dream is that if they add Gameboy games they also add some Virtual Boy with Labo VR support.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I do think they will add another console this year.

I wish they would add a matchmaking function to the online play for NES and SNES.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't expect anything until September, perhaps they'll add the GB virtual console then.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They've almost ran down all the "essential" SNES games at this point, and the NES library has been done for a while. I think it's mainly just Earthbound and Super Mario RPG at this point, besides third parties that'll never co-operate.

So I think another platform is likely this year and it'll probably be Game Boy. After the success of the Mario 3D Collection I can't see them essentially offering N64 games as freebies.

GameCube or later won't happen ever what with the file sizes ballooning by that point.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect anything, and it's probably a mistake to do otherwise.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
I think we will get Gameboy games this year, maybe some sort of situation where Nintendo drip feeds GB/GBC/GBA games all in one app over the next year or two.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I don't expect anything and I wouldn't be interested in anything other than a GBA online app that gives me the chance to play Golden Sun and Zero Mission

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Honestly, I just want two (edit: three) things:

- Game Boy/Color games with Super Game Boy enhancements added to all OG GB titles that didn't get them already
- Game Boy Advance games
- Better third-party gets (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, LucasArts, Disney licensed games, etc.)

I don't expect N64 or GameCube games to ever be part of the subscription.

N64 games would either require rework so they function as well as Mario 64 does on 3D All-Stars, or wireless N64 controllers which seems like a "not gonna happen" situation.

GameCube games could just be emulated a la Sunshine on 3D All-Stars, but the big download sizes would mean they'd have to expose them differently as part of the subscription which I don't think is super likely.

The far more interesting prospect for me is whether they release new online games this year. Last year was I think just Animal Crossing, Clubhouse Games, and Mario 35? They need a new competitive online title for this year imo.

Last edited:

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
I expect nothing. So should you.

Pictured: The rare sight of Nintendo adding anything to Nintendo Switch Online
giving-gift-to-homeless-man.jpg

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I think it would take N64 or Gamecube games to get me to resubscribe at this point.

I find it annoying that they added an Online button to the home page to bug me to re-up my subscription.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I expect very little at this point. I've given up after 2020 was so barren even for an off year for Nintendo.

It's sad. They took away VC so I thought cool, maybe NSO will be worth our while. And it's not a bad service, but the value isn't even remotely comparable to Xbox Live or PS+. It's crazy that those two services can give us relatively new games every month while Nintendo can't even give us a handful of 20 year old games every month.

If you remove our option to purchase them, then they should do a better job in making the games widely available. Four year into the Switch it isn't even half as good as the Wii U's VC a single year in.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you not gonna let me own advance wars 2 like 50 times Nintendo. somehow I've managed that with other Nintendo games despite my first home console from them being the Wii U.

koiwai

Jan 10, 2018
genuinely surprised by how barren NSO seems - have had a switch for three years now and haven't even felt the urge to subscribe ever since it launched (especially now that rocket league is f2p). if we saw N64 and GBA games (or even gamecube) i'd probably be tempted, but I doubt we'll ever see that

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
N64 library is so shattered that i don't expect a N64 online VC. The Gameboy is another beast, that one is more than expected

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I expect GameBoy but would hope they add Advance at the same time. Given how glacial the rollout for NSO has been, though, I'd keep expectations low.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
N64 and other home console titles are never coming, they are still sellable.

I think we might get Game Boy support but that's it. Most likely we get EarthBound, EarthBound Beginnings and Super Mario RPG spread out over the year and nothing else major.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to stack online memberships for a number of years, like you can for PSN and XBL? I currently have a family subscription which is running until July, I think.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
No other systems in the VC, same sloooooow drip of NES and SNES games, a handful of questionable (time-limited) NSO offers, and the price will still increase as continued revenge for people not buying the Wii U.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
They're going to add free N64 games after just releasing a big selling $60 game that includes Mario 64? I doubt that very much.
In fairness, 3D All-Stars absolutely would have been a really good way to subsidize making N64, GameCube, and Wii emulation that functions well on Switch. Nothing saying they have to use that model for other games that may or may not sell as well.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think they will need to step away from offering free games and give us a vc service where you can buy the games you want and if subscribed to nso get discounts on them. That way we will get way more games from third parties.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
At this point my expectations are so low from Online that Im just hoping for simple features to be added like native voice chat or a native messaging app and even then I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing them ever.

Please Nintendo.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I don't understand why people want the Virtual Console again.
20€/yearly for free NES/SNES games >>>> pay like 5€/7€ per NES/SNES game