• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
So, would it hurt if I apply a tempered glass screen protector on top?
Shouldn't hurt, no.

Those kind of coverings are usually attached to the screen so strongly that peeling them off will literally break the screen. You're not going to get a screen protector capable of pulling that up when you remove it, and putting one on top shouldn't do anything either.

Creegan

Jul 8, 2018
So, I read The Verge's review.

www.theverge.com

Nintendo Switch OLED review: screentime

A better display makes it easy to see what’s new.

And it says this:

The company also says that the display features an "anti-scattering adhesive film," which it says not to remove; though after several days with the device I admit I didn't even notice there was a film on the screen.

What does it mean? Would it interfere with glass screen protectors?
I posted this same question in the preorder thread because I've already ordered the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector and am now worried about a possible issue...

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I posted this same question in the preorder thread because I've already ordered the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector and am now worried about a possible issue...

Shouldn't hurt, no.

Those kind of coverings are usually attached to the screen so strongly that peeling them off will literally break the screen. You're not going to get a screen protector capable of pulling that up when you remove it, and putting one on top shouldn't do anything either.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Same here. My amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protectors arrived a couple of days ago.

HR34HWsl.jpg

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nintendo already said that only the Piano and the Motorcycle Labos won't work with the OLED due to the tight fits they have on the original Switch.
The rest is safe to use with the OLED.

Do you have a source? I don't remember that exact detail. I guess I'd be interested to see if it's really impossible or just erring on the side of caution.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ugh, my OLED hasn't shipped from Target yet, says I'll probably get it next week. Sucks to suck!

Oct 25, 2017
México
Aren't those thicker than 3'33mm and thus troublesome for the dock?
I play in portable mode 99% of my time. That's why I upgraded from a V2 and that's why I want to protect the screen as much as possible. I usually replace the screen protector once a year and it always feels like start afresh.

I didn't have a problem with my V1 and V2 not fitting inside the dock; also, the OLED dock has a larger aperture.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got a confirmation for my white OLED! Launch week here we goooo, plus Dread!

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017

I found them a very tight fight with the dock on the original Switch a few years back. Eventually ended up swapping it out for an Orzly protector which fit much better, but I was disappointed to find they weren't producing a tempered glass screen protector for the OLED yet. Hoping they do soon!

In the meantime, I went with the amFilm as well as it seems like the best option available at launch.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I found them a very tight fight with the dock on the original Switch a few years back. Eventually ended up swapping it out for an Orzly protector which fit much better, but I was disappointed to find they weren't producing a tempered glass screen protector for the OLED yet. Hoping they do soon!

In the meantime, I went with the amFilm as well as it seems like the best option available at launch.
They are, I just saw them in a 4 pack at amazon.es today.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, on the regular Switch ones, they are a tight fit with my launch dock (the docks that can cause scratches already) and fit completely fine in the later docks (my partner has a Let's Go Pikachu and Eeevee one.) So it'll probably be fine in the new dock?

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
I had it preordered but I found a Lite on Amazon warehouse for £155 (no charger) and cancelled it. Happy with the decision so far, OLED looks nice but double the price? Nah

Doopl

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any black crush at low brightness? My OLED phone and tablet both have that issue.

Edit: I watched the DF video and John mentioned dithering in dark areas at low brightness. I presume the system does this to avoid black crush.

Last edited:

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's overall really nice at what it does, so if the improvements sound good to you on paper you'll probably be pleased with the quality in practice.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So, I read The Verge's review.

www.theverge.com

Nintendo Switch OLED review: screentime

A better display makes it easy to see what’s new.

And it says this:

The company also says that the display features an "anti-scattering adhesive film," which it says not to remove; though after several days with the device I admit I didn't even notice there was a film on the screen.

What does it mean? Would it interfere with glass screen protectors?

I find this part to be weird. I want glass and would normally use a tempered screen protector.

This could be the reason I don't keep mine, something to keep an eye on.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Any details on the fit of the dock slot? Curious if they resolved the risk of screen scratch
They resolved that ages ago. Docks have had a looser fit since after the launch ones, scratching should be really uncommon now. It'd be weird if they went backwards in this case.

Last edited:

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Gel50dU_d.webp

Here's a screenshot from the DF video. Unless I'm misreading this, it appears that the OLED is slightly less accurate, specifically with reds. John says that the LCD "has a stronger red tint" but I think the warmer color is probably more accurate.

I would have liked to have seen this same data on the 2017 model and also with the vibrant setting on the OLED (despite knowing it'll be even less accurate than the normal setting).

Kevin Kenson found that the 2019 model was more accurate than the 2017 one, partially because it was warmer (3:44 timestamp):

Skot

Oct 30, 2017
At this point Nintendo really needs to upgrade the black theme to be a true black

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Do you have a source? I don't remember that exact detail. I guess I'd be interested to see if it's really impossible or just erring on the side of caution.
I remember that i saw one of those initial oled + metroid dread preview videos some weks ago and not sure if it was on the gamexplain one but they asked one of the nintendo persons there and they said that about labo compatible with the oled.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Any reports on color temperature?
John's results over at Digital Foundry showed it to be cooler than reference (D65/6504K) - at about 7300K.
switch-oled-whitepoinjuk6k.jpg

But that was measured with an unprofiled colorimeter, and the best white-point target for OLED is heavily debated. It's not as easy as saying "calibrate it to D65" now, due to metameric failure.
The best thing to do is to have a non-OLED display calibrated to a perfect D65, and then use that as an optical reference which is used to adjust the OLED display so it matches perfectly, for your own vision.
The next best thing is to use a compensated white-point. For example: Sony's current recommendation for their reference monitors is 0.3067, 0.3205 - which is 6930K.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I got one even tho I wasn't going to, half on impulse, but the more I think about it, the more I'm happy with that choice.

Not only do I play my Switch 100% portable (the dock might aswell not exist), it's where I do most of my gaming these days, while I'm at work, because at home I haven't been gaming much.

So in that sense it makes perfect sense for me to upgrade.

Also as far as we know, Hori Split Pad Pro fits perfectly right? I'm 90% sure I saw a gif of someone playing a OLED with a Split Pad attached.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
So the Hori split pads fit fine? Damn, I wish I had pre-ordered an OLED now. Definitely pick one up ASAP, seems pretty essential if you mostly play handheld like I do.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Since I haven't bought the iPhone 13, I might get this for christmas and gift/sell my v2. Has the OLED better battery life than Mariko?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I need to find a grip for the OLED model - what's everyone else going to be buying grip-wise?