• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
This pretty much. The Switch is in desperate need of an upgrade regards framerate, especially when you see something like Hyrule Warriors running so poorly for something published and licenced by Nintendo.

If Nintendo games are showing the console's age then it's time to get an upgrade.
Seriously, I've been basically playing NES/SNES games, and indie Switch games on it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Probably said it already, but I'm going to say it anyways...
I'm not buying another Switch until games can actually run handheld mode at a locked 30 or 60fps and native 720p, and docked at 1440p with 30 or 60fps.
This pretty much. The Switch is in desperate need of an upgrade regards framerate, especially when you see something like Hyrule Warriors running so poorly for something published and licenced by Nintendo.

If Nintendo games are showing the console's age then it's time to get an upgrade.
Add me to this camp as well. I just can't do sub-720p, sub-30 FPS anymore. I learned my lesson with the Vita, though thankfully custom firmware allowed overclocking that made many games playable again. I never expected the Switch to be even worse in this regard.

At this point, I'm hoping performance will be better through backwards compatibility. Otherwise I'll have to buy an old Switch I can homebrew and dump games on for emulation (which would be a bigger pain).

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Add me to this camp as well. I just can't do sub-720p, sub-30 FPS anymore. I learned my lesson with the Vita, though thankfully custom firmware allowed overclocking that made many games playable again.

At this point, I'm hoping performance will be better through backwards compatibility. Otherwise I'll have to buy an old Switch I can homebrew and dump games on for emulation (which would be a bigger pain).

I can cope, but it shows that the Switch's hardware is fraying at the edges at nearly 5 years (and that's just natural to see some limitations at almost a 'normal' lifecycle), and the seams are going to start to break.

Personally though I think the lack of docked features at least in the OLED version is a good sign. Nintendo could have easily just made a 4K output on this OLED model and maybe even enabled HDR for developers if they wanted to implement it, because it's supported by the chipset natively if I remember correctly.

But they didn't. That's makes me think Nintendo do indeed have a "Switch 4K model" in the works. Otherwise they'd have easily slapped on a 4K output option on the OLED model.

Mar 31, 2021
Any games in particular? Because I know at least three that run locked 60 at 720, personally. :P
Can't speak for op but I know age of calamity runs abysmally on handheld. It's horribly blurry 540p with horrible FPS drops. I don't usually care about graphics or frame rate so you know it's bad when someone like me complains.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Can't speak for op but I know age of calamity runs abysmally on handheld. It's horribly blurry 540p with horrible FPS drops. I don't usually care about graphics or frame rate so you know it's bad when someone like me complains.
I think there's more to the question of why does it run like that. After all, the Switch is a fixed performance target, and the game was only made for that platform. It's not like Turok where we initially ported the game for PC only without ever thinking about mobile or console hardware at the time causing a frankly drastic demand on CPU performance (and even then we still got 60 FPS out of it on the Switch, 90% of the time).

It's easy to just blame the hardware, however it is mobile hardware and it's designed to be affordable and power efficient, I don't think that's the only thing you should be looking at when it comes to these kinds of drastic performance issues.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017

I'd say the Zelda games are clearly the worst offenders, from the games I've played. BOTW and Link's Awakening framerates are all over the place, which is a damn shame.

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
In really stuck between keeping my preorder or cancelling...

I've got my OG switch and it's perfectly fine. But I really want that 4k goodness to make use of my LG CX.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
No real hardware upgrades pretty much through the first 6 years of the system life cycle at this rate. "Gonna be like Apple with exciting iterative upgrades" they said.

Agree, next year (Switch will be around 5.5 years old than) seems late for iterative upgrade, most sense has just to release Switch in 2023.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the replies to my post about the light sensor spot!

www.nintendo.co.uk

A vibrant 7-inch OLED screen with vivid colours

With Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, enjoy your favourite games anytime, anywhere, featuring a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen with vivid colours.

If you scroll to the bottom and view the Back view, it says it's the brightness sensor. They probably had to move it since the bezel is thinner.
Right! Completely missed the back view schematic on the official page.

It'll be interesting if Auto Brightness works better with that new sensor location. I never had much success with it on the OG Switch and always had it disabled - maybe that was what drove them to completely remove it from the Lite?

Auto Brightness is probably fairly essential with the OLED tech now, of course. Anecdotally, it's my impression that smart devices with OLED tend to auto-manage screen brightness much more aggressively (I guess for the self-explanatory reason of insane energy burn on brighter colours)

Buff Rowlet

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 7, 2021
Any word of the OLED screen is glass or plastic? Will OLED prevent heating issues that leads to the Switch bending and warping?

Rare Opiums

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why people keep using Hyrule Warrior as a benchmark for games performance on Switch. It's a musou games, you know what you will get.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
730-B82-A4-BE30-44-F5-A231-1020-D4-A90-B62.jpg

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Verge had a hands-on session yesterday. Unfortunately they weren't allowed to take pictures.

www.theverge.com

Nintendo Switch OLED hands-on: a small upgrade that makes a big difference

It’s not a Switch Pro, but it is very nice.

Overall, I think Nintendo has very slightly improved the overall fit and finish of the hardware. It still feels a little toy-like, but it's a nicer toy with a nicer finish. Whether that will extend to Joy-Con controllers that are less likely to suffer from drift remains to be seen, but I don't think Nintendo has done anything notably different — they're completely compatible with existing controllers, too.

So the Nintendo Switch OLED model justifies its existence, but does it justify an upgrade? For most people, the responsible answer is no. The improvements here are not going to unlock new game experiences or capabilities, they just make the current experiences a little nicer.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
IGN and GameSpot posted hands-on as well.

www.gamespot.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Hands-On: It Isn't The Console's True Successor, And That's Just Fine

We got our first hands-on with the new Nintendo Switch OLED, and while it's not the next big thing, it left me impressed with how much it improved the console.
From my hands-on session--which we unfortunately couldn't capture on video--it was clear that the OLED model helps bridge the gap between the handheld and docked experiences, amping up the experience of playing the Switch as a handheld. I brought my current launch-era Nintendo Switch and PS Vita (which also features an OLED screen) to make side-by-side comparisons. It was evident that the OLED model is a noticeable improvement compared to both devices.

www.ign.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Hands-on: We Compared It to the Original - IGN

The latest Nintendo Switch model is a no-brainer for newcomers, but more nuanced as an upgrade.
The strength of the new display (unsurprisingly) becomes even more obvious when turned on, immediately shining bright and clear from pretty much any viewing angle I tried. Honestly, it's not an exaggeration to liken its vibrance to when the Gameboy Advance SP got an updated model with a far brighter screen, making the original Switch look noticeably dimmer if compared directly. Its colors are richer too, and I'm not kidding when I say Breath of the Wild's grassy fields looked almost cartoonishly green viewed side-by-side.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Those previews are great, but I am likely getting this knowing full well that I am possibly walking into an iPad 3 to iPad 4 situation. Basically, Apple launched the iPad 3 as their first-gen retina display, which I very excitedly purchase because the screen was amazing, but used a weak SoC that couldn't really support it; they then turned around 9 months later and released the the iPad 4, which had the upgraded chip necessary for it. All I am saying is that, if Nintendo turns around next year and slaps in the 4k chip, I should've known better.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when we'll get previews of the screen quality.

Or are all OLEDs quality???
It seems like we've hit the point where it's hard to get a bad OLED screen on most consumer electronics devices. As most folks have said, it's more a matter of if it's pentile or RGB subpixels, and how the brightness compares. A quick google search says the current Switch is only around 300 nits brightness, however, so it shouldn't be hard for an OLED to be brighter.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Just read elsewhere that the dock is being sold separately if you just want to upgrade your existing dock. I've not seen that info anywhere else yet.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Any teardowns yet? Hands on the dock?

If the SwOLED is slightly longer than the regular Switch, how does the latter still fit in the new dock?

I'm also wondering about the LANdock's upload/download speeds.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to this camp as well. I just can't do sub-720p, sub-30 FPS anymore. I learned my lesson with the Vita, though thankfully custom firmware allowed overclocking that made many games playable again. I never expected the Switch to be even worse in this regard.

Same. It's bad that I have to use my hacked switch to get good frame rates out of the Zelda games.
Any games in particular? Because I know at least three that run locked 60 at 720, personally. :P
Can you list them? I'd love to check them out.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any teardowns yet? Hands on the dock?

If the SwOLED is slightly longer than the regular Switch, how does the latter still fit in the new dock?

I'm also wondering about the LANdock's upload/download speeds.
there's not gonna be a teardown of a system that hasn't been released yet. (ignore the ps5 and xbox, as that was marketing)

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree, next year (Switch will be around 5.5 years old than) seems late for iterative upgrade, most sense has just to release Switch in 2023.

That what I think now too

Switch - 2017
Lite/Mariko - fall 2019
OLED Switch - fall 2021
"Super Switch" - fall 2023 w/Mario Kart 9 as launch title (cross-gen game that is 4K/60 fps on new model, will work on old Switch models though).

Maybe they'll sneak in a quietly released OLED Switch Mini somewhere in there (2022 or 2024).

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to hear the screen is really nice.

Can there be a "screen lottery" with different panels like with the past versions or because it's OLED, will they all be the same quality???

Oct 27, 2017
i think i'm gonna get this. i need to sell my launch switch and my switch lite beforehand though, otherwise i'm going to feel preeeeeeetty goofy for having three switches.

(says the person having every iteration of DS/3DS ever)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All 60 FPS: Rogue Company, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey.

Lots of others that are native 720 and locked at 30 or 60
Rogue Company is impressive considering it's a UE4 game. but given it's also intended to be a competitive shooter, they are hella conservative on shader work to begin with

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Company is impressive considering it's a UE4 game. but given it's also intended to be a competitive shooter, they are hella conservative on shader work to begin with
Splatoon 2 is also 60 fps with a solid res for the same reason. Splatoon 1 *tried* to be 60 fps but when multiple people used bomb rush at the same time the fps went straight to hell lmao

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people keep using Hyrule Warrior as a benchmark for games performance on Switch. It's a musou games, you know what you will get.
I understand that people are disappointed about not getting the powerful rumored 4k variant but at the same everyone acting as if AoC and XB2 are representative for every Switch game is a bit too much.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad the OLED screen makes a good first impression. I wouldn't expect anything else and anything less would be a huge disappointment.

Still not enough to justifying an upgrade though. Probably the best Switch for a first time buyer.

Jul 7, 2021
For me it's very tempting to get. Being a former PlayStation Vita I understand what OLED implies. Think it's reasonable to assume that an Switch Lite OLED Model will be a reality one day as well, so waiting is probably the best option.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Can you list them? I'd love to check them out.
Doom1&2, Doom64 and Strife. Yes I know that's a low bar, but there is certainly more out there, the hardware is capable, it just needs the right game and the right approach. It's certainly what we are attempting with Shadow Man Remastered as we built that with the Switch in mind from the start.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
All 60 FPS: Rogue Company, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey.

Lots of others that are native 720 and locked at 30 or 60
Doom1&2, Doom64 and Strife. Yes I know that's a low bar, but there is certainly more out there, the hardware is capable, it just needs the right game and the right approach. It's certainly what we are attempting with Shadow Man Remastered as we built that with the Switch in mind from the start.
Burnout Paradise is 720p60 in handheld with the remastered assets. It's fantastic.
I have all those except Rogue Company. I might look at it though.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Probably been answered already but: Will the non-OLED model be discounted and/or phased out or will they coexist?

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
So is it normal that preorders are still up? I preordered mine days ago, but I see Media Markt still has the preorders open. Is there fewer demand than expected, does Nintendo manage to produce insane numbers or should I be worried they are selling more stock than they will receive? I got my PS5 via preorder from them, so I preordered the OLED with confidence.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
no bluetooth is such a missed opportunity.

Whats the current best option for something that'll work with airpods?

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Probably been answered already but: Will the non-OLED model be discounted and/or phased out or will they coexist?
The three models of Switch will be sold and co-exist together, at least for 2021.

Lite, Standard, OLED.
no bluetooth is such a missed opportunity.

Whats the current best option for something that'll work with airpods?
From what we can tell, Nintendo haven't changed anything internally. It's just the screen and better speakers. Everything else seems exactly the same.

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
So is it normal that preorders are still up? I preordered mine days ago, but I see Media Markt still has the preorders open. Is there fewer demand than expected, does Nintendo manage to produce insane numbers or should I be worried they are selling more stock than they will receive? I got my PS5 via preorder from them, so I preordered the OLED with confidence.
Demand will be limited because there is no benefit when connected to a TV.