• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I'm not entirely sure this is worth $350 without Blue Tooth or a bit more processing power.

I'll buy it, though, so my point is already invalid. lol

Plum

May 31, 2018
I can get people defending the lack of a spec upgrade… but I've read people in other places defending Nintendo for not updating the Joy-cons to ensure less drift issues. What's the logic in that?

"It sells well so it doesn't matter."

AKA the primary argument to defend literally anything and everything Nintendo's doing right now.

At the end of the day it seems we can only expect better from Nintendo if they're in dire straits like in the Wii U era. That really does seem to be the message with all the "BUT THE SALES!" posts.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Nintendo doesn't need your defense. They'll be fine raking in a ton of money on the new model. And there's nothing wrong with being disappointed with the offering. No one is expecting a ps5/sx competitor, but performance has been underwhelming on many first party tittles, and I'd hate to see how the newer, and more demanding games coming out in the next few months will fare.
I was waiting for the "Pro" before buying Age of Calamity, but with this announcement it has become a game I'll probably never play (unless the Switch successor improves performance on BC games). Also, now I'm worried about how the Arceus game will perform... (not sales-wise lol, it's Pokémon mainline, it's gonna sell a ton).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I was waiting for the "Pro" before buying Age of Calamity, but with this announcement it has become a game I'll probably never play (unless the Switch successor improves performance on BC games). Also, now I'm worried about how the Arceus game will perform... (not sales-wise lol, it's Pokémon mainline, it's gonna sell a ton).

It's not mainline, I don't think

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
"It sells well so it doesn't matter."

AKA the primary argument to defend literally anything and everything Nintendo's doing right now.

At the end of the day it seems we can only expect better from Nintendo if they're in dire straits like in the Wii U era. That really does seem to be the message with all the "BUT THE SALES!" posts.
Literally everything they are doing, like Advance Wars and Famicom Detective Club. Both obvious blockbuster hits.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Knowing Nintendo, I think you'll have to get ready to never play the game then :(
Haha yeah... and I was ready to shell out for a new Nintendo console, but I guess I'll just save that money.
It's not mainline, I don't think
It's not? I mean, I'm in the camp that doesn't consider the Let's Go titles actual mainline games (more like mainline-inspired spin-offs), but I thought GF was referring the Arceus as the next type of mainline game. Could be remembering wrong.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing Nintendo, I think you'll have to get ready to never play the game then :(
for what reason do you think this? the only way you won't get better performance is if they use the exact same hardware and lock out the higher clocks (like what the Wii U did for Wii games).

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if the idea originally was for a specc upgrade as well, then the chip shortage happened and rather than going into that clusterfuck they decided to lower their sights a bit.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I would very much consider buying this to replace my current Switch if it output 4K. Like wouldn't that just take a software update? Wouldn't effect performance. It would just make the games look better on our 4K TV's, and give docked users more of a reason to buy. I don't know. They could do more even with the exact same hardware at this point. Like crank up them CPU clock speeds. It'll be fine!

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I would very much consider buying this to replace my current Switch if it output 4K. Like wouldn't that just take a software update? Wouldn't effect performance. It would just make the games look better on our 4K TV's, and give docked users more of a reason to buy. I don't know. They could do more even with the exact same hardware at this point. Like crank up them CPU clock speeds. It'll be fine!
Outputting 4K requires more performance. It's not free.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Why, though? Why buy this product if you yourself admit it's not worth the asking price?
Because they want it more than they want the $350 in the bank?

People can feel something is probably overpriced in a purely logical sense and still buy it because they just really want it. That's an extremely common human behavior. Almost everyone understands that the cost of eating out at a nice restaurant isn't, like, logically backed up by the cost of the ingredients + the cost of the staff. Or the cost of a nice suit isn't 100% backed up by the cost of the materials + the cost of labor. People understand that there's often large markups there. People still buy and do these things, because it feels good to buy and do nice things.

The point of a hobby is not to be a sound financial investment, it's to enrich your life and have fun.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's not? I mean, I'm in the camp that doesn't consider the Let's Go titles actual mainline games (more like mainline-inspired spin-offs), but I thought GF was referring the Arceus as the next type of mainline game. Could be remembering wrong.

I don't think so. There is only one version of the game, and it's entitled Pokémon Legends, which implies a type of separate thing I would think

Plum

May 31, 2018
Literally everything they are doing, like Advance Wars and Famicom Detective Club. Both obvious blockbuster hits.

I figured that the "that people criticise" was implied. My bad.

Though I must say that the fact that Nintendo is putting out those games should actually be a reason for why they should do more stuff that isn't just for the big bucks. They've got the cash, the resources, and the security, there's literally no reasonable excuse for them to not want to do better outside of money-hoarding.
for what reason do you think this? the only way you won't get better performance is if they use the exact same hardware and lock out the higher clocks (like what the Wii U did for Wii games).
It's Nintendo. The only healthy way to look at things is to expect the worst and then expect something even worse than that.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Indeed. It's eye-rolling but all too predictable that people would come into the thread acting like people only want bleeding-edge performance running on 6k handheld with 20 hour battery life and 300fps.

We don't. Just a modest upgrade so that we're not playing games at 540p at sub 20 fps.

I dropped Age of Calamity because it ran and looked like dog shit. The whole point is that the hardware is behind so much that the games themselves are starting to really suffer.
Funny you should mention that game. That's when I felt we needed an update to the hardware. Still haven't finished it because I believed the rumors of a pro.
Yeah, the argument is that "The GAMES matter! You idiots just want your FORK 'AY and H DEE ARR but you shouldn't want those when you have the GAMES!" when, in reality, people just want their games to run at 1080p in Docked and 720p in handheld in the year 2021. Pokemon Legends, BotW2, SMTV, and so on are all going to suffer graphically and performance-wise and we ain't even close to finishing this generation. Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are likely not going to fare much better, especially if they go for the graphical fidelity and scale that such franchises demand.

Nobody's asking Nintendo to be on the cutting edge, but it's been nearly a decade since the Wii U released and we're still for-the-most-part stuck with the same resolutions, framerates and graphical fidelity of said console, especially when looking at new games instead of the deluge of upgraded ports. Hell, in some cases things are even worse even worse; image-quality wise Xenoblade Chronicles X looks better than its Switch counterparts simply by virtue of being 720p instead of sub-720p with ugly sharpening filters.
All I wanted from the new switch was stable performance, 720p on handheld mode, and 1080P for docked. Throw in hdr support for good measure. That would've been a great update for me.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
E5pTaeMXEAIzc58

E5pSYoDXIAAFuCZ

E5pSr3xXIAEaT0w

ha basically

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to dog pile, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. That said, as someone who is (apparently somewhat uniquely) bothered by the New Switch's screendoor effect on the screen, and also a videophile, I'll be upgrading for the OLED screen day one.

Really hope we see a Pro in time for BotW 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't need your defense. They'll be fine raking in a ton of money on the new model. And there's nothing wrong with being disappointed with the offering. No one is expecting a ps5/sx competitor, but performance has been underwhelming on many first party tittles, and I'd hate to see how the newer, and more demanding games coming out in the next few months will fare.

You never owned a N64 have you?

Pretty sure at this point in the Wii's life time in comparison to switch it was already on the verge of death. Not even close to being the same situation

And attachment rate was pretty different.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've been pretty vocal about my annoyance cause by people talking about how games would perform on a revision that we didn't even know was real or if it was real
ow it was going to be, but I understand people desire for better performance… but no, it is not necessary for the Switch right now, why?

Well, the console is still selling and there are reports that PS5 and XSX may be difficult to find even late 2022, so this is even more than I believed Nintendo was going to be. They don't want to divide the audience, and there are a lot of publishers releasing games on Switch, either small, very small or medium sizes games, they want that install base to keep growing and have a healthy console to sell games on.

I won't buy this thing, I have no need to, my V2 Switch is doing well, this is mainly to push new owners. The thing that bothers me is that it is $350, it should've been $300 and reduce the V2 to $250.

Oct 29, 2017
Yikes..

For an additional $50 you can get a PS5 (assuming you find one) This OLED screen isn't even 1080p, still no damn Bluetooth and asking $350 for those specs in 2021, good Lord!

Utterly disappointed but not at all surprised by Nintendo. If you're going to be greedy about it at least try and justify the price by adding basic Bluetooth etc. But nope they're like Apple, they'll have people defending them.

Would love to know the margins Nintendo are making with this 4-5 year old outdated hardware.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Outputting 4K requires more performance. It's not free.
Mariko could easily provide that.

Nintendo could have given us a Pro model since. Pretty sure they have 1.2+ghz GPU and over 2ghz CPU running pretty stably on Mariko with similar heat profile and battery drain to V1 through hacking/mods.

Way more than is necessary for just 4K output. It's a minute amount of processing power to just output in 4K.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Considering I'm still using my launch Switch, the battery life improvements, OLED screen & ethernet port are enough for me personally to upgrade, but yeah if you already have a Mariko Switch I don't think it'd really be that compelling.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
... still no damn Bluetooth ...
... If you're going to be greedy about it at least try and justify the price by adding basic Bluetooth etc. ...
Are you complaining about the right thing? The Switch always had bluetooth, that's how the joy-cons work (that might also be how ad-hoc multiplayer works). Do you mean running bluetooth audio (headphones and speakers), i.e the system with proprietary codecs and limited bandwidth when shared with other devices due to the channel limit on Bluetooth connections?

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
So apparently Audi R8 E-Tron has a 7 inch 720p OLED screen as an electronic rear view mirror. I wonder if there is a surplus of these OLED screens that some other electronics company can take advantage of.

KMMF2DUCQQI5LUZV6UFR36NRB4.jpg

May 27, 2020
I only play my Switch handheld so this is a nice upgrade for me, the improved kickstand seems trivial (and of course it should have been part of the original design) but it means I'm going to be better able to play in tabletop mode on the go with a Pro Controller, so I'll end up spending more hours playing my Switch.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the argument is that "The GAMES matter! You idiots just want your FORK 'AY and H DEE ARR but you shouldn't want those when you have the GAMES!" when, in reality, people just want their games to run at 1080p in Docked and 720p in handheld in the year 2021. Pokemon Legends, BotW2, SMTV, and so on are all going to suffer graphically and performance-wise and we ain't even close to finishing this generation. Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are likely not going to fare much better, especially if they go for the graphical fidelity and scale that such franchises demand.

Nobody's asking Nintendo to be on the cutting edge, but it's been nearly a decade since the Wii U released and we're still for-the-most-part stuck with the same resolutions, framerates and graphical fidelity of said console, especially when looking at new games instead of the deluge of upgraded ports. Hell, in some cases things are even worse even worse; image-quality wise Xenoblade Chronicles X looks better than its Switch counterparts simply by virtue of being 720p instead of sub-720p with ugly sharpening filters.

i agree with most what's being said here; I think most I've us weren't expecting the world in terms of upgrades but just hoping that previous and upcoming games would just run a bit more smoothly and steady if the rumored Switch Pro news dropped today. I love my Switch but it's really starting to show its age, and it is a little frustrating that Nintendo seems to be like a 1 or 2 behind its competitors in sheer power in their console . I know some say will say "The Switch isn't a direct competitor with Sony, MS, PC but I'm assuming they're not oblivious to what's being achieved on said platforms. I could assure you those great 1st Nintendo titles would be immensely better of half the rumored specs that were being floated around. I guess we'll have to wait for Nintendo's next console to see if they can bridge the gap…

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Do you mean running bluetooth audio (headphones and speakers), i.e the system with proprietary codecs and limited bandwidth when shared with other devices due to the channel limit on Bluetooth connections?

So how is it that a small Bluetooth adapter add-on solves the problem? Also, how is it like every ipad for almost a decade is able to achieve that + controller support, while nintendo can't figure out how to do it with their latest revision?

Anyhow, a really low ball effort from Nintendo here. Oled over all the other spec improvements is really puzzling to say the least.

Only imagine fanboys or people who haven't already bought one defending or buying this

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not worth replacing my old switch with this, but I don't mind getting this as a Christmas gift for someone else, since a real robust revision is probably years away.

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah EB Games has it at $425 on special which is fairly common really. And yeah despite all that I am one of those shmuks that will still buy it 😂
I mean, that colour scheme looks damn nice...
I mean, our games are now also $120 and PS5/XS is $749. Australian gamers are always screwed in the pricing of this luxury :(
I've gotten so used to sweet JB pricing with $69 new releases and good console bundles. The new gen will kill me... Oh well, we'll just have to settle for having the best beaches in the worl and churning out dreamboats. Sigh.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What if one was $299, and one was $399?

I think saying "they're targeted at the same market" is sort of an oversimplification. Like, yes, they're both better than the existing Switch. The Xbox One S and Xbox One X were both better than a standard Xbox One. The iPhone 8 and iPhone X were both better than an iPhone 7. There are many, many examples of tech companies revising a product while also introducing a new, higher-tier product at the same time.

Nintendo has said they view the Switch as a family of products. It's been successful enough where they can (and should) segment their audience and have multiple "current" Switch models at different price points. We already saw that, with the Switch Lite/Switch 2019. Just because they were planning a theoretical higher-end Switch doesn't mean they should let their mainstream model wither on the vine. They're a big company, they can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time (and let's be real, this "Switch (OLED Model)" doesn't exactly scream that it was a very high-investment product that they spent tons of R&D resources on).
The Switch OLED isn't an iPhone 7->8 tier upgrade though. It's a slight sprucing up to the same basic hardware that Nintendo's been selling for two years now. The base Switch and Switch Lite already serve the mainstream audience well enough, and given how historically frugal Nintendo can be, I just don't see a scenario where they invest the extra money to develop and manufacture a refresh with such marginal improvements to their mainstream-targeted system. If anything, the logical move would be for any new mainstream-targeted revision to be costed-down models to lower overall production costs and maybe grab the laggards with cheaper priced systems (if Nintendo chose to pass the savings on to the consumer instead of just keeping prices the same and pocketing the extra cash). The Switch OLED just makes more sense as premium/enthusiast tier product for their current stack rather than as a refresh of the mainstream tier to coincide with a proper Switch Pro.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Switch OLED would be my preferred first Switch for anyone going forward but not worth the upgrade for me as someone who already has a Switch and Switch Lite.

7Z7

May 30, 2018
Nintendo's press release is strange.

This information comes from a French YouTuber (Bibi300) and a passage in the release is puzzling.

"A new docking station including an ethernet port and much more..."

"And more."

Why add this? When you look closely at the dock, there is only the Ethernet port new.

I have little hope that it will go further and it doesn't make sense for marketing but wouldn't Nintendo make a two-part announcement?

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's press release is strange.

This information comes from a French YouTuber (Bibi300) and a passage in the release is puzzling.

"A new docking station including an ethernet port and much more..."

"And more."

Why add this? When you look closely at the dock, there is only the Ethernet port new.

I have little hope that it will go further and it doesn't make sense for marketing but wouldn't Nintendo make a two-part announcement?

they added an LED to the dock and a different back cover. So that's the "more" they are talking about.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
$50 extra for a bigger screen at the same resolution, but significantly less sharp (pentile).

I'm struggling to see why this system is better than the current one and why it has a price premium. AMOLED and RGB screen or no buy from me.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Oh Nintendo. :( Nothing about this "refresh" has me interested in buying it.
I don't need the OLED
I don't need the upgraded storage
I don't need a LAN adapter
I don't need a full width kick stand

I need games to at least have the systems native resolution and a stable framerate. That's the Switch I'll buy.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's a slight sprucing up to the same basic hardware that Nintendo's been selling for two years now.
To me, the fact that this revision is so minor is precisely why I could have seen it launched alongside the "Switch Pro." It's almost literally like a "well, we're getting a good deal on these OLEDs for the Pro, let's just put them in the standard Switch too" revision. The only thing is, that Pro doesn't yet exist, and the standard Switch still does – but who knows if that was the original plan or not before covid.

We can just agree to disagree on this. I suspect, at the very least, that the "old" Switch isn't long for this world. They're going to keep making it for a little while because it's cheap as chips and because they can sell the OLED model at a premium for now, but I don't think having two different Switch products $50 apart is something that they would say is their ideal long-term goal. If their goal was for this Switch model to launch a permanent high-end tier, I think they would have aimed higher and made something they'd sell for $399.