• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, its easier to tell whats the OLED model vs the current one with the better battery life. (yeah I knew which box to look for for the better battery life model)

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I'm dying that people really believed this would have better performance/resolution. It's just a new screen + storage. I can't.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Can people please stop harassing other members? That is just embarrassing and childish. It only proves that you can't take a rumor with grain of salt.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Okay, I thought my expectations were relatively well adjusted but this is really disappointing still -_-

I'm still on the launch model and I don't think this will make sense for me to buy.
For people getting on board just now this is great though - better screen, better internet, more space, same rest.

But uhm, there's nothing pro about this.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
This does seem like something that will likely replace the original model within 6-12 months of launch...otherwise I don't really see the point.

Charge a premium for the early adopters, then drop to $299 when the original Switch stock has been cleared out.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
He was wrong about almost everything he ever posted here. Im just questioning how insider vetting really goes here, because it clearly doesn't work.

I only posted about him because it was easy to find the post but it's not just him. There's a LOT of vetted insiders that ended up complete bogus.
He's been right about multiple things and he usually is very, very careful about how he words things. And when he's been wrong, he's apologized and owned it.
Not someone we should be scapegoating and chasing away.

He also said multiple times "there is a chance that it's just an OLED screen". He did an entire episode of his podcast dedicated to that possibility.

I understand the anger. I'm pissed too. But treating folks like Nate poorly is not going to help this situation. These reports were happening without his aid, he is not the source of your ire.

Y'all calling out Nate can just go fuck yourselves with the cherry-picking. He's specifically said there is likely an OLED revision mode and an actual internals revision model.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Love the white/grey Joy-Cons and this sounds nice for people who like handheld mode (I only use it when exercising, so eh), but I'll be sticking to my original model Switch. Glad this isn't a Pro, honestly.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issues continue to be:

-battery life
-stick drift
-nintendos shitty pricing making it impossible to invest in older games

i will wait on stick drift because this doesnt seem like a diff controller

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
The OLED alone is pretty exciting to me and worth a ~$75 upgrade (after selling my current model). Now I can stop talking myself into playing multiplat games on my Vita 1000 purely because of the screen lol

Oct 30, 2017
I was going to buy Switch last summer, but been told to wait because of the Pro Model.

So I waited and waited till I was burned and my excitement for the Switch faded... and now this is it?

Wow.... I waited all this time till my excitement faded away because of THIS?

WOW...... WOW WOW WOW.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Nice if you use it a lot in portable mode I guess. As someone who mainly uses it docked on a OLED tv it's less appealing though. Was really hoping the 4k/DLSS upgrade rumours were true. :/

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

Nintendo to Use Faster Nvidia Chips in New 2021 Switch Model

Nintendo Co. plans to adopt an upgraded Nvidia Corp. chip with better graphics and processing for a new Switch model planned for the year-end shopping season, according to people familiar with the matter.

(If you've hit your free Bloomberg quota;)

wccftech.com

Bloomberg: New Nintendo Switch to Support DLSS for 4K Visuals in TV Mode; Will Also Pack Upgraded CPU & Memory for $349/399

The rumored new Nintendo Switch ‘Pro’ model will use an upgraded NVIDIA chip with DLSS support for 4K gaming in docked mode.

350 USD for a DLSS based handheld with AI cores

Delusional

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
Let's look at all the things that the "insiders" got wrong and right:

Wrong:
- 4K support.
- DLSS.
- Significant power boost.
- Going to replace the base Switch, which will be phased out.

Right:
- LAN port.
- OLED screen.
- Larger screen.

That's about it?

Release date - September, possibly slipping to October was right. It being uncertain probably related to Nintendo schedule issues and how it was going to be linked to Metroid: Dread

It being announced close to E3 - depending on the insiders, they were right. Since it ended up being the 3rd week after E3.

It replacing the OG Switch should also be put on standby, that could still happen.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you want multiple manufacturing lines of differing market shares?
Presumably the Mariko Switch will still be manufactured for the general audience, while the OLED Switch is for the "enthusiast" Nintendo fan.

Pro doesn't fit in without causing redundancies.
At this point, the Pro might as well be the successor.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Bigger stand too, don't forget that!

That was legit one of the best announcements. The current ass stand is horrible and as someone who (in the before times) used to use the switch as a portable multiplayer thing it was the most awkward part of setting it up because of how shit it was.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Think this means older Switch retail prices maybe drop to $250 come holiday season permanently?

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So this is just DS to DSi basically. No worries then. If it was 4k visual output then it would've been an automatic. Not disappointed or anything. This just isn't for me right now.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to sell well because it's a Nintendo Switch sure, but it's going to sell a hell of a lot less than it could, I wouldn't really give them any new credit for sales beyond the fact the Switch is a good console. They deserve kudos for that, not for this revision
I don't think that's gonna be the case - it's gonna sell out either way because it's just one of 3 Switch models on the market and will be limited.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
E5nlUB6XMBMIODZ

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you want multiple manufacturing lines of differing market shares?
Presumably the Mariko Switch will still be manufactured for the general audience, while the OLED Switch is for the "enthusiast" Nintendo fan.

Pro doesn't fit in without causing redundancies.

I don't expect the current V2 Switch to stick around long after this model. It's the same TX1 as the Lite and the V2 now diversified into 3 manufacturing lines but with obvious redundancies.

But anyway, my opinion based on all we have heard isn't shaken. So I'll wait. It doesn't make sense for everything we have heard from this variety of credible sources to all be false in my estimation. So take it as you will.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I still don't know who Nintendo is selling this too? After pandemic selling this year, if they try to phase out the cheaper $300 for this, they are raising the switch price by $50 for only handheld upgrade.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Another Zelda in 30fps.
Hey you're getting a 60fps Zelda this year! lol

Maybe BOTW2 will launch alongside actually new hardware and it will happen then...then again I also kinda thought BOTW would run at 60fps on the Switch before I knew much about its graphical power.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to buy Switch last summer, but been told to wait because of the Pro Model.

So I waited and waited till I was burned and my excitement for the Switch faded... and now this is it?

Wow.... I waited all this time till my excitement faded away because of THIS?

WOW...... WOW WOW WOW.

you forgot about the better stand

Hostility to insiders

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
We understand this announcement goes against some of the insider leaks. Being disappointed and upset with some of the those leaks and insider sources in general is fine, but direct call-outs / hostility towards any specific insiders will be met with moderation.

EDIT (Hecht):

Official Staff Communication
Because it's become a distraction, we want to address the earlier staff post about insiders; the concern was that certain callouts were feeding a frenzy beyond the site and could lead to harassment. There weren't a lot of staff available when it was made, and the wording of the post was too broad. Nobody was banned following the post and the intention wasn't to say that "insiders" should be beyond criticism, so this was a mistake in communication. This was done with good intentions but was not handled by staff who usually deal with "insider posting" and wasn't consistent with our usual approach.

Last edited by a moderator: