• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
This is a nice summary of 7.0.0, the fw was a major bump indeed, tighten security, adding new services (api), optimizations in the OS etc. It's just not something visible for the end user.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I think I did push stuff from and out the SD to the internal memory.
You can't do that either, so you must be misremembering things.

The only options available under Data Management are Prevent Auto Archiving, Archive Software, Delete Software, and Check Corrupted Data. There is no straightforward way to move software from the internal memory to an SD card or the other way around through the UI. The only way to do it is to archive a title, put in your SD card and redownload it, because then it gets added to the SD card automatically. Or for the other way around archive it, take out your SD card, and redownload it. This has been criticized since forever. There really is no reason at all for Nintendo not to allow to choose your download destination or transfer installed titles, patches, and DLC. The Switch has no issue at all with using both the internal memory as well as an SD card simultaneously.

The only time it will download automatically to internal memory after inserting an SD card is if your card is full.

Last edited:

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Im willing to bet that by the end of the Switch's lifespan there won't be any folders, Xenoblade 2 icons, or themes outside of the two we already have. You guys can count out miiverse and any type of messaging system that isn't already there. Why do I say this? Because its obvious they won't do it.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm also waiting for messaging features. I like to keep my game related comms out of things such as my phone and discord. Yes, the interface of sending a message is significantly worse on a console, but I absolutely need this feature to be there and I will ask for it in every single firmware post.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Well, 7.0.0 has been already cracked lol, can't quote the Tweet because it contains system keys :p

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Even better, the WiiU had folders as well. Honestly, I don't understand why all three always start from scratch regarding the OS. You'd think they'd take all the features and go from there. Seems like the obvious choice to me.

It's not completely from scratch. It has the same code name, structure, and features as the Wii U's QuickStart menu. That OS was designed to run so light it ran off the Gamepad when the system was off.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes, I wished instead of taking just 10 hours to get it cracked, I wanted to see hackers, independent or not, take more than 1 month to crack it.

I liked to see meltdowns.
Well, they have the keys, but there are several security measures to avoid a custom fw generate threads for example, so it could take some time to it actually be useful.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Well, 7.0.0 has been already cracked lol, can't quote the Tweet because it contains system keys :p
This is a big reason why the OS is so sparse. Why is this worth mentioning? Maybe if less attention was given to hacks and piracy Nintendo would be able to spend more time adding features. I can't really blame them at all. The 3DS and Wii U had a lot more features but look at how they were exploited.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a big reason why the OS is so sparse. Why is this worth mentioning? Maybe if less attention was given to hacks and piracy Nintendo would be able to spend more time adding features. I can't really blame them at all. The 3DS and Wii U had a lot more features but look at how they were exploited.

Nothing to do with that at all, they just want a 'lean' OS. It's already well secured, the problem as always is with the hardware and not the software.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That's not a lot. Isn't Smash 2.0 coming out soon? Maybe they're be more to it then...

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, people without hacked Switches have been able to access the eShop and play online without getting banned forever

The former argument isn't and has never been a problem to which most users consider an acceptable price to pay on the latter argument.

(And for the avoidance of doubt, I believe at the last count, they were about 50 games off having the complete eShop unlocked and available to play, including preload games and games you've not heard of yet).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Still better than the PSN updates where the description is just "general improvements" and who knows what changed.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
sadly, i think the vast majority of those who hack their switch couldn't give a shit about being able to access the eshop and/or actually paying for games.

They certainly care on some level if only for the mere fact that updates are becoming increasingly more difficult to find/find working if you cannot fetch them directly and safely yourself. :)

Much as people like to play coy (or cognitive bias their way to self-justification) with the implications of a ban, it does have negative impacts especially for games outside of the top-of-mind sphere of interest.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im willing to bet that by the end of the Switch's lifespan there won't be any folders, Xenoblade 2 icons, or themes outside of the two we already have. You guys can count out miiverse and any type of messaging system that isn't already there. Why do I say this? Because its obvious they won't do it.
To be fair it took 3 years to get folders on PS4.

But the rate of new features added to the PS4 OS far outpaced the Switch's over the same timeline, and that ignores the fact that the PS4 launch OS already had more features than the current Switch OS does.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
here's to hoping "stability" includes restoring CEC reliability.. for about a year HDMI-CEC was shockingly super reliable on Switch with my TV.. Then at some point fairly recently it just stopped working. I tested and doing a hard boot would get it working again like ONCE, and then it would stop again.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I hope that the joy-con update fixes my right joy-con frequent disconnects, but I'm not too hopeful.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They certainly care on some level if only for the mere fact that updates are becoming increasingly more difficult to find/find working if you cannot fetch them directly and safely yourself. :)

Much as people like to play coy (or cognitive bias their way to self-justification) with the implications of a ban, it does have negative impacts especially for games outside of the top-of-mind sphere of interest.
it is an inconvenience to always have to look for new hacks and stuff, but i think the trade-off of having every [single-player focused] game for free is worth it for them.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
here's to hoping "stability" includes restoring CEC reliability.. for about a year HDMI-CEC was shockingly super reliable on Switch with my TV.. Then at some point fairly recently it just stopped working. I tested and doing a hard boot would get it working again like ONCE, and then it would stop again.

It's always been strangely inconsistent for me.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
it is an inconvenience to always have to look for new hacks and stuff, but i think the trade-off of having every [single-player focused] game for free is worth it for them.

Well its more than just looking for new hacks. You have to generally still be careful and being an idiot can still result in a brick, and what I was talking about was the fact that you have to also either forgo convenient updates or dig to find anything/things that work reliably.

Obviously there's no stopping people who are going to pirate, but they're not really skating by unaffected or without risk. And much as people may like to pretend they don't care about online, there's always all this clamoring around emuNAND, p2p tunneling kip workarounds, or various f2p online games as if people *do* care. They just have to settle for shitty alternatives or no alternatives.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well its more than just looking for new hacks. You have to generally still be careful and being an idiot can still result in a brick, and what I was talking about was the fact that you have to also either forgo convenient updates or dig to find anything/things that work reliably.

Obviously there's no stopping people who are going to pirate, but they're not really skating by unaffected or without risk. And much as people may like to pretend they don't care about online, there's always all this clamoring around emuNAND, p2p tunneling kip workarounds, or various f2p online games as if people *do* care. They just have to settle for shitty alternatives or no alternatives.
yeah, overall it's not a super nice situation for them and they're obviously not going to have as smooth of an experience as an unhacked system.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
We're never getting folders are we?
Never.

• It adds negative impressions to the user. (Look at how bloated your home menu is.)
  • It adds perception to parents the kids are hiding something. It makes parents worry.
  • It doesn't really help you, and it wastes your precious time to get to play a game within 5 seconds, when you're basically adding an extra click to the menu.
The last one is the most possible conclusion I can think of that is very Nintendo-centric.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Never.

• It adds negative impressions to the user. (Look at how bloated your home menu is.)
  • It adds perception to parents the kids are hiding something. It makes parents worry.
  • It doesn't really help you, and it wastes your precious time to get to play a game within 5 seconds, when you're basically adding an extra click to the menu.
The last one is the most possible conclusion I can think of that is very Nintendo-centric.
Huh?

• My 200+ digital collection looks far more bloated without folders.
  • Parents can open up those folders.
  • It helps me a great deal if my games are sorted and I don't have to search through my 200+ game list for something.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I don't think folders are ever coming as it basically represents an entirely new paradigm with respect to how icons are organized. It wouldn't be some small change, but a complete redesign of how icons are arranged and displayed. They have decided that the home screen will show your most recent games and for most people, this is likely best.

Sure, if you have hundreds of games, maybe it's an issue, but realistically how often is the game you are looking to play not in the list of most recent games?

I'd like it to be eventually added, but I just don't see it happening.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I don't think folders are ever coming as it basically represents an entirely new paradigm with respect to how icons are organized. It wouldn't be some small change, but a complete redesign of how icons are arranged and displayed. They have decided that the home screen will show your most recent games and for most people, this is likely best.

Sure, if you have hundreds of games, maybe it's an issue, but realistically how often is the game you are looking to play not in the list of most recent games?

I'd like it to be eventually added, but I just don't see it happening.
If they add "all software" as an app button separate from the games list (like in your typical mobile OS), and add folders to that, it might work without a paradigm shift.

funkygallo

Oct 27, 2017
I. Just. Want. Folders.

Almost 200 Switch games ain't flying right now. Need. Folders.

AAAAAfYnEFEYUPODJMu0OjuvndAraAHn6e2x1Jm-fHIoHbDDuGDrg3aBH94KAWTfCfiiKZ1KUgm3WfaQNVm7lxbOVOTSaq2Y5hYQ0STuTQQRC63dfAEGrCDk8zi2YthIOAvj7VyEXCx2rg.jpg

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
  • My 200+ digital collection looks far more bloated without folders.
  • \It helps me a great deal if my games are sorted and I don't have to search through my 200+ game list for something.

You've answered your own question, Proteus. Nintendo doesn't want you to have 200 games on your switch. I'd be surprised if they even want you to have more than 20 or 30, max.

Remember, Nintendo is all about health, remember their warnings to stop playing too long? And epilepsy? Nintendo is not about binge gaming or addiction traps, like gacha games. Nintendo is about playing about an hour a day. And someone who plays an hour a day can never own 200 games.

tl:dr: Nintendo wants you to play fewer videogames. Taking away your folders encourages you to be healthier and strive to "only" have 20 or 30 games available. Thanks for looking out for us Nintendo!

Bonus: pirates who have infinite free games are going to be annoyed at organizing them.

I will never understood how Nintendo does basically nothing on the OS-side this gen.

Besides the games (lol) and the concept itself Nintendo's behavior with the Switch is mindboggling..
And it's already two years out.

You've answered your own question, Proteus. Nintendo doesn't want you to have 200 games on your switch. I'd be surprised if they even want you to have more than 20 or 30, max.

Remember, Nintendo is all about health, remember their warnings to stop playing too long? And epilepsy? Nintendo is not about binge gaming or addiction traps, like gacha games. Nintendo is about playing about an hour a day. And someone who plays an hour a day can never own 200 games.

tl:dr: Nintendo wants you to play fewer videogames. Taking away your folders encourages you to be healthier and strive to "only" have 20 or 30 games available. Thanks for looking out for us Nintendo!

Bonus: pirates who have infinite free games are going to be annoyed at organizing them.

What the??

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So anything new found from the backend or we still complaining about how uneventful the update is?