• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're low-key getting a lot of rare and obscure games and even the occasional Japanese import but some of you clearly derived your opinion what games the SNES has from GameFAQs's top 10 games list.

The SNES was never just a Nintendo and Square-Enix RPG system. It had a lot of janky af fighters and platformers that littered the video game aisle in the early 90s. These are the exact kind of games my stupid ass would get my parents to rent from Blockbusters for the weekend. I hated most of them mind you but that was my SNES experience.

Atlus pls localize SMT 1 and 2 already k thx

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
SMT II Japan only I understand, SMT I with an official English translation being Japan only is just :( .

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I'm thinking of a different game. Solomon's Key 1 was actually good. Ignore me!

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
If I wasn't preparing to mod my SNES mini I'd be pretty meh. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 (3). Also Super Mario RPG, Front Mission, Sim City, Secret of Mana... gimme something.

Totally fine with paying for Nintendo Online (Tetris is worth it alone). But I'd like something to dig in to.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
At this point I wish we had GBA games like Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun etc.

Games I would actually play.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
We're low-key getting a lot of rare and obscure games and even the occasional Japanese import but some of you clearly derived your opinion what games the SNES has from GameFAQs's top 10 games list.

The SNES was never just a Nintendo and Square-Enix RPG system. It had a lot of janky af fighters and platformers that littered the video game aisle in the early 90s. These are the exact kind of games my stupid ass would get my parents to rent from Blockbusters for the weekend. I hated most of them mind you but that was my SNES experience.

Atlus pls localize SMT 1 and 2 already k thx
I played so many fighting games on SNES, I couldn't get enough of them. Good or bad, lol. I was never into RPGs so I really don't care for S-E's SNES stuff to be honest.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I played so many fighting games on SNES, I couldn't get enough of them. Good or bad, lol. I was never into RPGs so I really don't care for S-E's SNES stuff to be honest.
We got so few of the rpgs here. No FF, DQ, Chrono Trigger. So to me the SNES was mostly fighting games, scrolling shooters and mascot platformers when I was a kid. Plus the oddities that did make it over like Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Loved that game.

My problem was that I had spent a summer playing SFII at an arcade, and then spent months saving money from a part-time job to buy SFII Turbo, and most of the other fighting games just didn't feel right in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
We demand game preservation. But only for the games we already played because they were good. Not these games. I haven't played these games because they were never rereleased before. What if they're bad? We can't preserve doo doo games I've never played, that's not the point of preservation! Damn it Nintendo why don't you just let me play Super Mario RPG for a 4th time.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
We got so few of the rpgs here. No FF, DQ, Chrono Trigger. So to me the SNES was mostly fighting games, scrolling shooters and mascot platformers when I was a kid. Plus the oddities that did make it over like Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Loved that game.

My problem was that I had spent a summer playing SFII at an arcade, and then spent months saving money from a part-time job to buy SFII Turbo, and most of the other fighting games just didn't feel right in comparison.
That's the funny thing, I owned every single SF game on the SNES and I'd still love rubbish like Street Combat, lol. When I was little, fighting games were simply on an entirely different level from any other kind of games. I asked for Mortal Kombat 3 for christmas once, and was super disappointed that I got... Mega Man X, which of course I loved once I got past the disappointment :P

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's the funny thing, I owned every single SF game on the SNES and I'd still love rubbish like Street Combat, lol. When I was little, fighting games were simply on an entirely different level from any other kind of games. I asked for Mortal Kombat 3 for christmas once, and was super disappointed that I got... Mega Man X, which of course I loved once I got past the disappointment :P
I got really back into fighting games post-Street Fighter 2 (which I'll happily admit I was biased towards after pouring a year's pocket money into Turbo!) with Bloody Roar on PS1. It somehow became the game of choice when my college friends and I rolled in from the pub!

Aprikurt

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 29, 2017
We demand game preservation. But only for the games we already played because they were good. Not these games. I haven't played these games because they were never rereleased before. What if they're bad? We can't preserve doo doo games I've never played, that's not the point of preservation! Damn it Nintendo why don't you just let me play Super Mario RPG for a 4th time.
Don't act for a moment like Nintendo are going with less popular titles for "game preservation".

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
I wish Nintendo would release some of Tecmo's strategy and business game offerings. I'm talking about games like Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Aerobiz.

There is quite a few of these (including an American revolution game) and many of these were released on prior virtual consoles. Some of these remain interesting to this day, are substantial experiences, and not similar to the other games in the service. Also, I cannot imagine they are expensive to license or that Tecmo is saving games like Gem Fire for a commercial re-release.

Oct 27, 2017

I like these games so im with you on poking at people who are way too upset abt this.

But let's not confuse this incentive to pay Nintendo money for a rental service with video game preservation. Wii VC isn't up anymore and there's no guarantee here either.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well seems we won't get any SE, Bamco, Hudsonsoft titles anytime soon. Was hoping FFIV, FFVI, Ogre Battle, Tales of Phantasia and Super Adventure Island. At this point they are scraping the muck at the bottom of the barrel. Time for GBA and DS titles

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Nintendo can't put it on NSO without Square's permission.
Square can't sell it without Nintendo's permission.
The only people that suffer are the fans.
In other words, Nintendo has to initiate the game proposal to Square first, and Square has to accept the agreement, in order for Nintendo to publish it on the NSO.

Super Mario RPG is in Nintendo's hands.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Still hoping for Gemfire or Rockin' Cats one of these days.

Rockin' Kats is actually one of my big hopes for the service, it's a great game. It should be fully owned by SEGA at this point, and they've contributed some games on NSO already.

SMT II Japan only I understand, SMT I with an official English translation being Japan only is just :( .

They can't just toss the translation from the mobile version into the SNES version, though. If the mobile release was just an emulation of the GBA game like I've suspected, we might see it that way someday, but not the SNES.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's a lot of overlap between gamers that care about preservation and ones that only want to play mainstream games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Gaming enthusiasts would be like music fans coordinating to make sure the same ten Beatles and Dylan albums are always in top 10 GOAT lists. The lack of curiosity people have wrt retro titles is really one of the most disappointing things i've noticed on this board.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming enthusiasts would be like music fans coordinating to make sure the same ten Beatles and Dylan albums are always in top 10 GOAT lists. The lack of curiosity people have wrt retro titles is really one of the most disappointing things i've noticed on this board.
It's also why it's so hard to have good discussions here comparing the libraries of classic systems. Half the people just do drive-by posts declaring the one they had back in the day the automatic winner based on the few games they owned for it.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not on Switch online but I have no knowledge of these games and if for no other reason than making me aware of the more obscure stuff, I appreciate games like this seeing light.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
wow what's with all the weird crybaby whining in here

it's cool to see niche games that don't get a lot of attention

maybe I dunno try em out before you start kicking and screaming

there really aren't many well known games left, and they aren't gonna dump them all at once

ps sorry to break it to ya but you'll never get any square enix games on here, bar super mario rpg... hopefully - they sell their shit separately, as do capcom, konami, disney, and probably others I cannot think of right now

pps I would murder a man for micro machines tho

ppps just sayin
Like I said before, the problem isn't the niche games, those are great. The problem is that Nintendo is dragging their feet with their own stuff. The majority of their old platforms have no meaningful representation on Switch.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's also why it's so hard to have good discussions here comparing the libraries of classic systems. Half the people just do drive-by posts declaring the one they had back in the day the automatic winner based on the few games they owned for it.

"robot farts", "sonic was never good", "which system had super metroid/*insert Squaresoft game*?", "the SNES version of *licensed game* is better therefore the Genesis is stupid". :)

"the nes is too dated to play", "who plays arcade games? should be $5 on iOS", "who wants to play a turbografx when konami should be releasing more metal gear?".

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
"robot farts", "sonic was never good", "which system had super metroid/*insert Squaresoft game*?", "the SNES version of *licensed game* is better therefore the Genesis is stupid". :)

"the nes is too dated to play", "who plays arcade games? should be $5 on iOS", "who wants to play a turbografx when konami should be releasing more metal gear?".
to be fair, sonic was never good

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before, the problem isn't the niche games, those are great. The problem is that Nintendo is dragging their feet with their own stuff. The majority of their old platforms have no meaningful representation on Switch.

They need stuff to hold back in case Switch Online sub numbers drop. There's a good reason they dropped DKC2 and Mario Picross back in September and launched Super Mario 35 on October 1st.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
and i agree it would be great if they were putting out games on new platforms, but also just read the thread, there are plenty of people complaining about the quality of these games they've never even heard of, let alone played

like geez just... just try them, stop getting so angry

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
and i agree it would be great if they were putting out games on new platforms, but also just read the thread, there are plenty of people complaining about the quality of these games they've never even heard of, let alone played

like geez just... just try them, stop getting so angry

...and the reality is, most of Nintendo's output is pretty well represented on here for the consoles that are on the service. A lot of this boils down to rights holders and money I'm assuming.

Feb 9, 2018
Heh. I actually played Doomsday Warrior on the SNES way back in the mid 90s. I rented it from the Movie Gallery right down the road from where I lived at the time. It was one of the few games my parents actually played with me. I remember they referred to the "Nuform" character as "liquid b*tch." I also remember there was a plant girl and a lizard guy. I don't recall it being the most polished fighting game ever, but neither did it come across as awful. Strictly rental material.

Starseeker

Banned
Dec 30, 2020
It's all about "preservation" for some of you until we get novel rereleases that don't cater to your own sense of nostalgia.