• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
I must be on some kind of drugs to hope Chrono Trigger shows up. Square just let me buy it for the 3rd time plz.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Along with still no way of messaging friends or inviting them to games 4 years after launch, Nintendo once again proves why this service is $20

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
They're not releasing Fire Emblem-style localized emulations on the service. They'd sell those separately like they did Fire Emblem.

Also, define "how little Nintendo has released on the Switch." Because that makes zero sense.
I don't care if the games are part of the app or individual purchases. The problem is they're not available on the Switch.

Only NES and SNES, with the notable, but going to disappear in a couple months, exception of 3D All Stars, when the Switch is almost 4 years old is absolutely pathetic. It would help take the edge off a bit if they were actually going for trying to release stuff for the peripherals that they normally ignore, but they're not even doing that. They've got at least 3 other platforms that could easily fit in the subscription app format, and they clearly have the ability to package up Game Cube and Wii games as emulated releases, so we really shouldn't be anywhere near the point where we're going such long periods of time without getting emulated releases of first party games yet.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Rocco's tweet regarding this is absolutely killing me:

I will say Psycho Dream looks odd and I might check it out, the others are whatever.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Fire 'N' Ice excites me because I've been a fan since I discovered NES emulation. I'll be glad to finally play it officially on Nintendo hardware. I always wished it was on my NES Classic.

The rest I don't care about.

May 10, 2019
Like i don't even give a fuck about getting the most popular games that everybody asks for and I find something good out of every time there's a release but this is 100% garbage

If we're gonna get Koei Tecmo games why not Bandit Kings of Ancient China or Liberty or Death or Aerobiz or Uncharted Waters?

Can't wait for April when we get the stunning collection of:
  • Secret of The Stars
  • Oscar
  • Packy & Marlon
  • and the first time ever western import of Bokosuka Wars

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
N64 is viable. More exclusive first party titles than the GBA. I could see April

But they're harder to run. By a LONG shot. And they released more on GBA VC (Even first party wise) than they did on N64 due to third party and second party stuff being wayyyy more viable better than N64. N64 emulation is better off saved for occasions like 3D All Stars, since the 20 total games on N64 VC would be better saved for individual enhanced ports than an NSO that would die in like 2-3 updates due to lack of games. GB-GBA NSO with online MP would be a quicker/safer bet

Like not only can they not emulate the controller pak, but even if they did we'd only get Konami's lineup and a few minor obscurities since most of N64's third party stuff was licensed or downgraded ports. And if Capcom didn't bother rereleasing N64 RE2 when that was viable on Wii/Wii U, I doubt they'd do it on Switch over the remake/PS1 ver

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Doomsday Warrior is the only truly worthless game here

I haven't actually played it, but looking at it tells me all I need to know

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I'm hoping Zombies Ate My Neighbors makes it on here one of these days, the Switch's save states would do wonders in making it more accessible. A super fun arcade-like action-survival horror game with so much personality... but the game encourages you to play through all ~50 levels in one go since its password system tracked just the level you're on and number of surviving Victims to collect per level, not the items you picked up. That's IF you can even find a physical copy nowadays

It was originally published by Konami, developed by LucasArts who published the Wii Virtual Console version...and LucasArts has since been absorbed by Disney, so the rights are a mess. But hell, if they could somehow work something out with DIsney, get Disney's Magical Quest and the Goof Troop game on there too

tumblr_mnd4u57q2d1qd4q8ao1_500.gif
OptimalImpressionableHind-size_restricted.gif
tumblr_pyqaysv46X1v6pzwto1_540.gifv

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's cool that US audiences are getting Super Famicom titles that never came over. Panel De Pon and Mario's Super Picross are two of the best additions to the NSO lineup. I'll try out Psycho Dream, a game I heard about for the first time two minutes ago.

But yeah... let's break out the GB or N64 library.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I think I rented Doomsday Warrior as a kid. Won't be playing it here just like I don't play any other of the games on the service. Give me a quality rpg plz understand

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Dear Nintendo can you just bring back the eshop with more systems that you already supported. I just want to buy the games again at this point.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
To anyone interested in playing through Psycho Dream:

Be sure to farm for health drops and put up a save-state right before the final boss. Also, make sure you have the spread laser power-up, which is obtained via the blue crystals*. The final boss is ludicrously difficult to beat with melee attacks. There are unlimited continues, but you're stuck with melee every time. Get the spread laser, have a save-state ready, else you'll be in for potentially hours of wasted time.

*Anytime a yellow crystal drops, it'll turn blue after a few seconds.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Game preservation is important! Companies don't do enough to preserve history!"

*Switch online offerings are all games that have never been rereleased and most have likely never heard of*

"I want Final Fantasy 3!"

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
"Game preservation is important! Companies don't do enough to preserve history!"

*Switch online offerings are all games that have never been rereleased and most have likely never heard of*

"I want Final Fantasy 3!"

I mean yeah, fuck if Tecmo will ever make a compilation of anything not Ninja Gaiden NES, so I'm all for their other fun obscure games getting put on ACA/NSO for people to enjoy! Meanwhile FFVI and most square (not enix) games will be ported to death through other means so I feel that obscure things like SK2 and Telenet's stuff are worth celebrating seeing a rerelease after decades.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I understand that these weirdo games are a real bad look to the majority of people, but shit like Psycho Dream is just right up my alley -- never thought the Switch Online services would go in these niche directions, but I am very cool with it. Fire N' Ice looks cute as heck, too.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to keep paying my yearly Wario's Woods subscription because of how much I like that game, but these bonuses are disappointing.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
You know, when the Wii VC was releasing all sorts of 'weird' PC Engine games I'd never heard of it was actually exciting because it felt like you were getting the 'really good games you never knew existed' type of thing that the system offered... here it feels like we're just getting weird for the sake of being weird.

Being limited to these 2 consoles is making it so much harder for them.

Why didn't Nintendo buy Hudson?? :(

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
come on, they have to add a new system to NSO. even just gameboy (no advance games) would be better than scraping the bottom of the barrel like this (no disrespect to these games).

also earthbound is clearly not coming because they want to do a collection release of all three games.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Good luck convincing any of the "big" publishers to drop their SNES and NES games on a service like this when they're trying to sell them themselves.

Frankly I appreciate the peeks into the obscure corners of the SNES & NES libraries, personally.
Id straight up buy square enix entire back catalog if they released on switch. Or ps4. Or mobile.

They are doing NOTHING with most of those games since the ancient ps3 days

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Just try Prehistorik Man, and tell me it's not great.
I played the shit out of it as a kid.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Fire N Ice goes for $150 cart only and is considered one of the best NES puzzle games.

People here can at least try to not be ignorant. "Enthusiast forum" my ass.
I'm convinced most of the people complaining about these games just want the Nintendo first-parties and Square RPGs and are too young to have actually played an SNES when they were current hardware, much less the NES.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
I prefer having thoses unknown games than to replay games I played for death a couple time before

also when I saw « fire and ice » I thought it was the same « fire and ice » that was on atari st / amiga500. It would have been cool to see a port of this game on nes

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
ERA sees it's not Super Mario RPG, Earthbound or the high profile Square RPGs
"scraping on the bottom of the barrel right now"

Never change Era. Never change.

Play Fire n Ice and Prehistorik Man everyone, they're both great!
Havnt played the others so I cant comment on those.

Some trivia, Fire n Ice is called Solomons Key 2 outside of North America for those of you who recognise that franchise.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why there isn't GBA games on this yet.

Nintendo doesn't seeem to give a shit about this service.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
wow what's with all the weird crybaby whining in here

it's cool to see niche games that don't get a lot of attention

maybe I dunno try em out before you start kicking and screaming

there really aren't many well known games left, and they aren't gonna dump them all at once

ps sorry to break it to ya but you'll never get any square enix games on here, bar super mario rpg... hopefully - they sell their shit separately, as do capcom, konami, disney, and probably others I cannot think of right now

pps I would murder a man for micro machines tho

ppps just sayin

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pleased to see mostly stuff I've never heard of.
Fire and Ice looks like the pick of the bunch, I'll definitely try that. Late-era NES games are always interesting.
Psycho Dream looks the weirdest, what a deep cut.
Doomsday Warriors looks like a poor SF2 clone and I've played so many of those, will likely skip.
Prehistorik Man I've played before, kinda reminded me of "Bubsy-minus-the-sonic-influence/speed" in that it's a cutesy platformer that feels a bit floaty, but had some nice humour and more varied levels/abilities.

These kind of updates are what I enjoy seeing from the service, when almost all of my favourites likely either already exist in compilations elsewhere or the rights are in copyright hell as the developer was swallowed up ages ago.

Last edited: