• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
1. Nintendo needed a console that could be sold for $200 before Pokemon and Animal Crossing come out.

2. But coming out with a model priced at $200 would have been perceived as a bigger price drop than the emergency price drop 3DS got, that forced Nintendo to come out with the ambassador program. And this at a time when Switch still sells super well without any real price drop.

3. The only way Nintendo could "get away" with a $100 price drop without killing Switch perceived value was remove the TV connection. Everything else removed is just icing on the cake and allowed them to drop the price from a profit point of view, but removing the TV connection is what allowed them to drop the price without OG Switch loosing its primary value proposition.

4. I think the choice Nintendo saw themselves as having was - Lite priced at $250, with TV connection intact, OR Lite priced at $200, without TV connection. They chose the latter for a multitude of reasons, and from a business point of view, I agree.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm a parent of a 10 year old who loves her 3ds and who basically stole my switch from me. I've been waiting for either a lite or a pro to get a second one, but I do think tv out is a huge deal for my daughter so I'll probably skip this. If I could seamlessly switch saves between consoles it wouldn't be that big of a deal but he lack of cloud saves on some games means that you can't easily switch back and forth u less I'm missing something.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep! Main thing is that you have to have one set up as your primary (where any account on that Switch can play all digital content), but on other Switches, only you can. Assuming you have NSO, cloud saves will allow you to stay synced across all devices, except in cases where they aren't supported (Splatoon 2, etc.).
Oh neat. Thanks for the info

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh gods, by putting "Lite" in the back it's almost guaranteed to have a worse dpad than the joycons. I also have to wonder if this will have an improved chipset to let it run at docked speeds, since some games are crap in portable mode.

Of course it won't be faster than the premium model

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What happens with concentrating their software development on one platform lol? It's a wrong move to diversify back to two consoles.
they are concentrating on one platform. This plays the same games as the OG switch. It's also a great time to release a handheld only version for a lower price since the traditional portable games of fire emblem, animal crossing, and Pokémon are launching. This is the space where Nintendo has their greatest success.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It was never compatible in handheld mode before this anyway. It is compatible if you sync a joycon.

It was compatible in portable mode, though, because the JoyCons are always attached to it and can freely be detached. That isn't the case with the lite.

An avenue for concern trolls to wring their hands over nothing.

It's not that big of a deal but Super Mario Party is one of the bigger Switch games and it makes use of the JoyCons very well. The saving point is that JoyCons are still compatible with the Lite but then I wonder why this doesn't have a stand like the OG Switch.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What happens with concentrating their software development on one platform lol? It's a wrong move to diversify back to two consoles.

They play the same games. It's not the same as the Wii U + 3DS.

It's not that big of a deal but Super Mario Party is one of the bigger Switch games and it makes use of the JoyCons very well. The saving point is that JoyCons are still compatible with the Lite but then I wonder why this doesn't have a stand like the OG Switch.

The stand on the OG Switch may as well not even be there because of how flimsy it is. There are charging stands and other solutions that do a much better job than the stand.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
are you somehow under the impression that this is getting different games?

The original Switch and this new Lite version are one "platform" with respect to software development. You know, like, most console revisions.

Deleted member 33567

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Can you use two separate additional joy-cons to play mariokart split screen on a lite? Not saying this is optimal, just trying to get my head around it as it states you can't do table top, but can connect joycons

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish all the colors had a black bezel around the screen, rather than matching the color of the bezel to the console itself.

That way I could have my yellow switch lite PLUS a black bezel

Baru

Oct 27, 2017
Because they are still using USB-C? Being able to send and receive video/audio via USB-C, while a device is also charging, is a basic feature of the protocol.

USB-C is not what enables video out. There are other internal components which handle switching from sending video to the screen to sending it over the video out (in this case over the USB-C line). Removing those components saves money allowing them to sell the switch cheaper. So no it's not free for them to have the docking functionality.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most important question:

Can I log in my existing Switch account on Switch Lite and play the games I already own? Will I have to do an account transfer?

If I can't play my library on both my regular TV Switch and my Switch Lite without an account transfer then this is 100% worthless to me. On PS4 I can have my account on multiple devices at once.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Can you use two separate additional joy-cons to play mariokart split screen on a lite? Not saying this is optimal, just trying to get my head around it as it states you can't do table top, but can connect joycons

Probably they did the no table top because their is no stand built-in to the Lite.

Their is no issue with connecting Switch Pro Controller or extra joycons to the device.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Disregard what Era thinks about this. Most people here are home dwellers, have enough time to game at home. If Game Boy Player for Gamecube were out today, it would have been much more popular than GBA itself here on Era.

Mainstream gamers, who mostly do not waste their time on internet forums like we do, actually care for portability. There's a reason why DS total sales are neck to neck with PS2, best selling system ever and 3DS sold more than 80m with a mediocre lineup (it didn't even had a proper FF game!). Handhelds sell, $200 handhelds sell even more.
It's for people who likes handheld, don't overthink it.

Handhelds sell a ton, don't worry.
I don't know, I love my vita and 3ds but I don't see a marker for it anymore. Smartphones took it over. Just to clarify, it will sell but no way as much as the normal switch imho.
I'll save your post.
👍

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4. I think the choice Nintendo saw themselves as having was - Lite priced at $250, with TV connection intact, OR Lite priced at $200, without TV connection. They chose the latter for a multitude of reasons, and from a business point of view, I agree.
I figured the Switch Lite was going to happen eventually, but I had always thought it might be interesting if they just started offering a dockless $250 SKU of the original Switch while also dropping the price of the dock to $50, essentially giving a portable option with the cost to upgrade coming out the same as the standard SKU. But Switch Lite does a good job of offering a better value proposition to those just wanting a smaller, cheaper handheld, so it was probably the better choice anyway.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know what, I'm actually super excited about this, for another reason in particular. I think with this release, we'll see extra emphasis on making portable look and perform even better. That's probably wishful thinking on my part, but with a lot of future players only have portable mode, makes sense some extra dev time will be used to focus on improving that experience.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Most important question:

Can I log in my existing Switch account on Switch Lite and play the games I already own? Will I have to do an account transfer?

If I can't play my library on both my regular TV Switch and my Switch Lite without an account transfer then this is 100% worthless to me.

You can make one Switch your primary Switch while any other Switch you use that has your account will be non-primary.

You can do either cloud saves (if you have NSO) or do manual individual game save data transfer. Their is the option to do a full account. But that is not required to transfer games/save data.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Switch Pro not coming this year makes sense. You already have the Switch Lite this year and don't want to overcrowd the market. Plus, the New 3DS came out about 4 years after the 3DS launch, so you want something closer to that, which gives you the final graphics boost before the Switch 2 comes out a few years later.

kdawg954

Oct 29, 2017

Tabletop Mode is the process of taking joycon off the switch, utilizing the kickstand and playing multiplayer with both joycon. That is obviously not possible here.

They may come up with a new term or maybe they just wont really dig into it as they are marketing this as a one player device that can connect wirelessly to other devices for multiplayer.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

You can't use it in table-top mode without buying extras such as Joy-Cons and a stand. That's why they state it doesn't do table-top out of the box. But yes you can connect Joy-Cons up to play MK.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The Nintendo Switch is still the main console for playing Switch games. If you want all the features that is the system to get. The Nintendo Switch Lite offers a cheaper way to play these games for people who don't mind playing exclusively in handheld mode. If you know that is not you then stick with or buy the OG . . . Or wait for another addition to the Switch family down the road that appeals more to you. Nintendo long ago stated they wanted an IOS like approach where their will be different ways/devices to play their library of Switch games without splitting the library like a Wii/DS approach and all their home console/handheld duos have done before.

The fact that is no longer happening is such a game changer, yet people are dwelling on 1-2 Switch and Super Mario Party not being playable with an out of the box NSL without additional controller. 2 games out of over 2000. Yes it won't be 100% smooth, yes there will be situations where a parent buys NSL and SMP for Xmas only to realize they need joycon to play. There will also likely be new packaging or detailed stickers on the front and back of the box that will explain the requirements to play those 2 games as well. Man some of y'all just wanna overly complicate stuff just to rage.

The only thing the Nintendo Switch Lite cannot play is Nintendo Labo. Everything else is possible.

We live in a world where the TV has become less and less relevant. Having a $100 cheaper SKU on the market for the Switch brand makes too much sense. It doesn't have to be for you to be a good decision.
It isn't a bad decision, but you have to admit its a bit weird , Labo and 12 Switch were part of their strategy to attract the casual audience so the cheaper model not compatible with those games is a bit weird.

And then, i really dooubt the Switch would have been a big hit if not for its Docked TV play, its part of the appeal and brand, Switch is not just a handheld or a home console its an hybrid, now its expanding but the hybrid nature was key to its success

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
If the controllers being hardwired into the thing eliminates the abysmal Joy Con drift problem, that is perhaps the biggest selling point this thing could have for me.

Also, I'm usually not one to be concerned about specs, but do we know if the Lite is at least as powerful as the original Switch is in handheld mode?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
So it looks like a Switch
Same exact look and form factor and controls
Almost the same exact set of features
Supports nearly all of the same accessories and controllers
Takes the same cartridges
And most importantly, plays the same games.

...but it feels more like a completely new device with the Switch name tacked on.
Something totally distinct from Switch despite being visually and functionally identical to Switch in almost every way that matters.
Because you cant dock it...

What is happening here? This thread is surreal. Every argument reads like people just throwing their shits at the wall to see which shits will stick.

The same exact set of features, except those that are the center of the platform like the ability to Switch or to use split controls?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can make one Switch your primary Switch while any other Switch you use that has your account will be non-primary.

You can do either cloud saves (if you have NSO) or do manual individual game save data transfer. Their is the option to do a full account. But that is not required to transfer games/save data.
Nice, although cloud save is fucked for major games like Smash, Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
ya ever heard a chihuahua go off?
ein ein ein ein ein ein ein ein ein
thing is you can't tell a chihuahua not to go off, it's what they love to do.

Are you drunk? I mean I am so I'm guessing that's why I can understand you
ya ever heard a tiny doggo go off?
ein ein ein ein ein ein ein ein ein
thing is you can't tell some doggos not to go off, it's what they love to do.

Are you drunk? ..... I mean, I am.. just checking if that's why I understand you

Edit: lol