• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
TV out would have been nice, but it literally wouldn't had made any sense when the regular Switch is $100 more and includes docking hardware. To make docking the Switch Lite possible, Nintendo would've had to make an accessory (not necessarily a "dock" like the regular Switch has) to handle USB-C to HDMI out with an AC outlet. Making such an accessory for a console like this would be janky as fuck, which is why the concept of a dock exists in the first place.

Pricing such an accessory would also be problematic as even if it was cheaper than the $90-$100 docks they currently sell, they'd have to price it at least in the $50-$60 range for an official licensed product. It doesn't make sense for someone to pay north of $250-$260 for the ability to dock when they could spend $40 more and just get the device that's actually designed for that.

They were pretty much trapped by pricing of the regular Switch.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
As close to $0 as you can get. The Tegra supports it as a platform level feature. You just have to wire up the USB-C connector.
I see. There's still the different clock speeds to consider though. As others have mentioned, they may have scaled down the cooling capabilities to make running in docked mode an impossibility.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo, but I doubt they would remove such an integral feature 'just cuz'.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
We knew it would be portable focused but the ability to dock costs them basically nothing. It has a USB-C port at the bottom so the only potential issue would've been fitting inside the current dock. And that's solvable by releasing a new smaller dock.

I can already imagine the nightmare of countless parents buying wrong sized docks

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
integrated-and-lite.jpg

lite-photo-02.jpg

lite-photo-05.jpg

So the gray one is actually darker than I thought, cool.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Would it really add that much? It's a genuine question, but I just think that they would make "less" money.
Either, for me, the amount of functionality being removed is worth far more than 100$.
Now, this is just another Nintendo handheld.

It should be mentioned that Nintendo handhelds have been among the highest-selling, most-profitable systems of their generation.

You don't like the functionality being removed? Cool, don't buy one. This isn't for you, this is for the millions out there that just want "another Nintendo handheld", and will probably sell accordingly.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Ok, I'm interested. I may jump in for 150usd but I'll have to wait until the platform get more games I care about. I guess by the time the next Zelda launches it will be cheaper.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
That is ridiculous. Going from $300 to $150 or $100 while also adding in features over the original Switch wouldn't make any sense, especially when the system is selling incredibly well, and would probably lose them money. By that logic, Sony should also have the PS4 for like $150 by now as it'd sell more and, hey, it can't be that expensive to make anymore

I'm a consumer, not a shareholder. Looking at Switch Lite, I don't find it an enticing proposition at that price point, especially when compared to the docked/original SKU.

to tempt me, it needs to be cheaper.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
This is a smaller handheld focused device, the thermal design will have been designed exclusively around handheld mode, which is part of why they are able to get it smaller. Running in docked mode the standard Switch clocks up, increases the power draw, and ramps up the fan etc.

The Switch dock is not just DRM, it has a chip for handling splitting out the displayport signal and for power management, such that you can play with HDMI video out and charge it at the same time.

So you mean they should have had USB-C display out just for use on monitors? USB-C display support is not a standard TV feature.

It doesn't matter how focused it is. Wiring up a connector does not detract from focus.

You are describing the DRM back to me. They pull the native-to-tegra Displayport signal. They do their weird, non-standard power delivery that serves no actual purpose. They also authenticate the dock in a billion different trivial-to-defeat ways.

USB-C Alt Display Mode is a chipset level feature. The Tegra can output Displayport and HDMI natively. You just have to actually do it. The system also supports USB-C Power Delivery.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks really cool :)

Can't wait for the inevitable stories this winter when people try to buy it and don't realize they're getting a handheld only version.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
It's gonna be a real shocker when this thing breaks records over the holiday season and people still complain about no docking.

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend has been hoping for a cheaper Switch, but she's going to be ticked at this. Not being able to play in docked mode kills it for her.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The whole "less is more" concept is annoying to hear repeated so often here. Less modes is less options. Period. Would have been impressed with a Switch Lite that retained docking at least. But cutting TV out removes any interest I will have for this

And that's lovely, this product is not for you. But having something cheaper also means you lose features. This is just the way products work.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
i don't get all the people confused on not being able to dock. It's a handheld. If you wanna dock, buy a regular switch. smh

Because there are literally docks that exist that are basically just a cable, no physical construct that holds the switch up.

Because to remove docking ability in the Tegra chip requires Nintendo to disable it in software. Tegra tv out is fundamentally integrated into the specs.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
That's a shame, if it weren't for the lack of tv output, this would have been the perfect gift for someone I know. Will probably just gift my own Switch after splurging on the elite version.

Still, I really hope they make D-pad joycons.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just came in here to LOL @ the inclusion of rock climbing in a rock climbing space while someone plays BOTW. that was funny.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
If you want to be play handheld and on the TV, get a Switch.
If you want handheld only, get a Switch Lite.
The Switch Lite is the budget option. It's not meant to replace the normal Switch.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok now that I had a little bit more time to think about it, I think that this is a really poor offering by Nintendo; removing the HD rumble, not putting a kickstand and removing the ability to connect to a TV is downright STINGY.
The Switch is a unique concept and and I really hope that they will stick with what made it unique. I hope for more things like Labo...

Optionality. If you need more, pay more. You want less, payless.

$199.99 x ( Open World Poke'mon + Holiday) = $$$$$$

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I actually really like the concept of this, but I'm shocked at how many core features (USPs) are missing here: removable joycons, kick-stand, HD rumble, docked play, instant local multiplayer... it's lost a lot of that unique identity.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Looks like nintendo vita lol. Might get it just for the dpad, bit seems to me you lose more features compared to the price difference. Did they say if the screen is oled or lcd? Also dunno why they don't enable video out via usb-c.

Oct 26, 2017
AxdiXZqom35WAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

The size difference is negligible as fuck when you account for the tablet and the 2nd joycon, which leaves me wondering: what exactly is the point of this version? 200 dollars is still pricey for the segment that you're going after (especially when they bought the 2DS for much cheaper than $200), and the elimination of features makes this arguably a worse value proposition than if you simply bought the base model.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So question for those who have used the transfer save data to move save games between Switches...how long does it take? I'm picking up one for my wife, and we plan to play Pokemon Sword and Shield concurrently, so it'd be nice to know how long we'll be waiting to transfer our Pokemon saves between systems. Also is their any limit to how many transfers you can do?

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Uh...where can you find a Switch for under $200? Serious question, because a complete Switch definitely goes for more than $200 in the 2+ years it has been on the market. Can't just make up a price for the old hardware and use that against the new hardware.

I'm a deal hunter and admittedly it may be a bit unfair to expect anybody to go deal hunting, but at the same time, if your reasoning for getting the Lite is primarily for the price difference you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to. Used, full Switch bundles for $200 or less aren't readily available but it wouldn't take me long at all to find one.

Or, to be fair, if you're considering it as an alternative to the Lite, you don't even need to compare it to a complete Switch. You could buy a Dockless Switch and have a more direct comparison, and a much easier time hitting that pricepoint. Looking at eBay, tablet-only Switches are readily available for $140, multiple Joycon sets for $55, add a dodgy Chinese AC adapter for $5 (not advised!) and it's right on the money: $200. For the same price as the Lite you can have a bigger screen, HD rumble, detachable Joy-Cons, and an upgrade path for docking later (albeit used condition). Or alternatively, check new listings periodically, check Craigslist, and get the dock included for the same price within a few days.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I see. There's still the different clock speeds to consider though. As others have mentioned, they may have scaled down the cooling capabilities to make running in docked mode an impossibility.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo, but I doubt they would remove such an integral feature 'just cuz'.

That isn't actually true, though, that's just apologist stuff. Chucking some fans in the dock would get you all the way there. Mariko itself gets you the rest of the way. There is no material level of 'scaled down cooling' that enables handheld mode play and disables TV play without an easy solution - the differential can easily be dealt with by external cooling.

Dec 23, 2017
Ha! People that are disappointed. It's exactly what I thought it would look like. Hope it sells well. This is supposed to be the kid friendly switch version and it's what it looks like. Those high end looking mock up and renders you can only hope the pro looks that way. I think this confirms at best we won't be getting a pro until LATER next year at best.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This is absolutely isn't for me, but this looks really cool for people who only want to play their Switch as a handheld.

And it's gonna sell like hotcakes this holiday season, especially with that price.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is the no deal for me too :/ I've been holding out on a switch but mainly cause I thought there'd be an upgraded/pro one, etc. as I mainly only play on tv. Guess I can just get the reg one now in peace lol.

But there will be a Pro. We knew a Lite and Pro version were coming. Just wait a bit longer.