• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Seems cool to have as an option and great for kids, though losing the docking ability makes it less appealing from a functionality standpoint. The pro model is gonna be the upgrade I'm looking for, so long as they redesign that eyesore of a bezel.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This is my obligatory comment lamenting that the Wii U didn't sell at least enough for that wireless streaming tech to be affordable enough to be used between this and whatever enhanced version they're working on

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Wat. Why not just sell the dock separately and have the option available?
For example because the ventilation is handled differently and optimized for handheld use. If it had to handle TV mode as well, this would probably be obsolete and bring additional cost with it. Also different docks would have to be manufactured due to the Lite's smaller size etc.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The name Switch loses its meaning with this, but I guess it has its uses nonetheless. It's clearly aimed at people who don't own a vanilla Switch.

While I am not without my own biases, because I am one of these people, I think others will be surprised how popular this ends up among people who already own a Switch. I am one of those people who always felt the base Switch was "too big for a handheld" and didn't have the battery power to sufficiently replace my 3DS or Vita, which I played a great deal. But this? This is perfect. This is what I've always wanted.

My Base Switch will stay docked permanently. My Switch Lite will become my primary system. I suppose it's true that it undermines the entire gimmick of the device, but for me the gimmick was never the biggest selling point in the first place.

Like Nintendo says:

Compare systems
It's always fun to have options.
Learn more about the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems to see which one (or two) works for you.

I do believe it will be a popular and appealing second option, even for people who already own a Switch. But that's just how I feel about it. I was always a Vita guy.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I am aware of what The Kids are doing. They're playing Fortnite on PS4s, mostly.

Kids understand that a TV is a bigger screen to play the same games on, and a bigger screen is nice when you have the option. Being able to play games without that screen is nice too. Which is why the Switch itself is nice - it is adaptable.

"The Kids" are mostly playing on their parent's phone or tablet. "The Kids" don't care as much about TV play as you want them to.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
How much of that would you estimate is attributed to the smaller screen? (And potentially more efficient screen tech in general as scouting for new screen tech was one of the earliest rumours)

The whole system sees a 38% decrease in power draw, so the only components they can really get better battery life out of is stuff like the SoC, Screen and RAM. overall some of these components are going to have to use even less than the 38% and I'd suggest the SoC is where they saved the most power, the 7.1 watt number I give is for the minimum brightness on the screen, which on the OG model, I'm estimating to be under a watt, so you can only save so much power draw there. The SoC uses somewhere around 4.5watts in the OG model, I'd have to guess that has been chopped in half here too, if the entire system is now only using around 4.5 watts.

Oct 26, 2017
Does the Lite still use a fan? It looks like that for me but I wonder if the reason for removing docked play (completely) might be the thermal budget.
It definitely look like it, I think we'll have to wait for more hands on impressions or a teardown. I think it will lack some of the cooling features that the Switch has like the big metal plate across the whole system.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Zelda is running an hour longer on the Lite. So a ~33% increase for this game.

The battery life range is intriguing
I hadn't seen the BotW battery life info, thanks.
But still, 3.5 hours (or so) for a portable device is not much (imo). This clearly should have been the focus.
And sure, we can have a higher clock here (and I even think that's the case, as N would benefit from some HW revision), but not one that wouldn't be possible on the original switch with some overclocking

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you easily confused?

I think parents and non-gamers being told to "look at the back of the box to see if that game can be played in handheld mode" obviously will be.

But still, 3.5 hours (or so) for a portable device is not much (imo). This clearly should have been the focus.

Err, what exactly is your opinion based on? Cos there isn't a handheld device out there the size of the Switch that can play a game as demanding as BOTW for 4 hours. Just ask anyone who plays games on an iphone etc.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
It's on this page, you have to click the "Nintendo Switch Lite Console" expanding button:

Code:
Nintendo Switch Lite console

Nintendo Switch Lite console
Size    91.1mm x 208mm x 13.9mm
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protusions.
Weight    Approx. 275g
Screen    Capacitive touch screen / 5.5 inch LCD / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU    NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory    32 GB
Please note: approximately 6.2 GB of internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features    Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1 / NFC (near-field communication)
Video output    -
Audio output    -
Speakers    Stereo
Control inputs  
"Left Stick
Can be pressed down and used as a button."

"Right Stick
Can be pressed down and used as a button."

A/B/X/Y/L/R/ZL/ZR Buttons

+ Button / - Button

+Control Pad

POWER Button

Volume buttons

HOME Button

Capture Button
USB terminal    USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging the console.
Audio jack    Stereo output
Game card slot    Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot    Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards.
Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors    Accelerometer / gyroscope
Operating environment    Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery    Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 3570mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life    Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions.
For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly four hours on a single charge.
Charging time    3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.
Thanks for sharing.
Tried desktop site but I still can't find the specs.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Hmm the weight is more appealing to me. 69.3% of the original weight with 78.5% of the original size.
Even lighter than New 3DS XL and roughly same weight as New 2DS XL. This will feel good in the hands.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I know there's already 37 pages of comments, but I think this is a great looking product, even though I won't be buying one due to it not connecting to the tv.

I don't know what the technical limitation was that prevented it from being dockable, but I feel like if they would've just made it able to connect to the tv it would've appealed to a much larger audience. I know I would've been a day 1 purchase if only that one additional feature was included.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not for me, (I generally dislike handheld gaming, so my Switch hardly ever leaves the dock unless I'm traveling) but I'm glad to see there are more options available.

Call me when there's a Switch Pro.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I really, really wished this had TV support.

Doesn't feel like a Switch this way. I don't see why Nintendo removed TV support when there was no reason to.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't seen the BotW battery life info, thanks.
And sure, we can have a higher clock here (and I even think that's the case, as N would benefit from some HW revision), but not one that wouldn't be possible on the original switch with some overclocking

They claim 4 hours for BotW.

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not saying that it won't sell; I'm saying that it's unnecessarily hampered from reaching its full potential. Heaven forbid Nintendo design the stupid thing so you could buy an add-on dock as an up-sell later.
the point is to differentiate it from the original switch. you need it to be missing some features to ensure the original switch has its place in the market. if it was dockable, they'd probably unnecessarily cannibalize sales of the more expensive switch. now when people are considering buying a switch they need to decide if they care about dockability or not, and if they do, they must spring for the more expensive one instead of going with the lite.

it's all business, even if it would have cost them nothing to make the dock work for the lite, it might not be a good idea.

itheawara

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2019

Releasing: September 20, 2019
Price: $199
Comes in three colors (Grey, Yellow, Turqoise)
Does not have detachable JoyCons (though JoyCons can be paired), can't be docked to the TV, no HD rumble
Has D-Pad!

Pfgmmlg.jpg

Full press release:

Full System Comparisons:

www.nintendo.com

Compare - Nintendo Switch - Nintendo - Official Site

Compare technical specs and more features of the Nintendo Switch™ – OLED Model, Nintendo Switch, and Nintendo Switch Lite systems.

D_HULAmXUAEdeGq.jpg

D_HUMSpXkAEDVbE.jpg

I'm proud of sending this to my annoying friend who always says PS4 is better than Nintendo Switch just bc it's cheaper (wtf)

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Oh my god, Old Nintendo is back again.

This is confusing and terrible. I mean, the price is to be expected (although people on here thought the Switch would be $200 at launch lol so I'm not expecting anyone to agree), but it's only slightly smaller and lighter, and doesn't dock whatsoever. You get so much less usability out of it. Just a terrible product.

I can get my son his own Switch, he only uses mine portable, he's going to be able to use it for 20-30% longer due to the better battery life, it's more robust and to boot, it's also smaller and lighter and will fit him better.

So no, it's not a terrible product. Look outside of your own bubble and see that just because it isnt for you doesnt make it a terrible product. It's not for me either since I use the hybrid aspect a lot but there's definately a good size market for this device and we're going to add one to our household since it's a good product for my son.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
The name makes sense to me - they were never going to drop Switch, because doing so would be preposterous, but 'Lite' implies less - I know Nintendo used it for a much improved DS revision, but it makes more sense here. It's not just slim or mini, it loses features and offers a purely handheld experience, so 'Lite' is a fitting moniker.
They shoulddve just used ""less" instead of "lite". Would sound much better and make more sense.

Switch Less.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LOL. You mean piss off people who buy this early which is all that will do? There's a 0% chance this gets a price cut in a year

I mean, Nintendo dropped the price on 2DS a about a year and a half into its life. Then again less than a year later. It went from $129.99 to $79.99.

This device, although more expensive than a 2DS, is going to be the 2DS of the Switch family.

It's going to be for families who want to buy a gaming system for their kid but don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for one. Especially in the wake of next gen consoles.

Since the original Game Boy, Nintendo has always sought to have the cheapest possible console on the market through their handheld line.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I wonder what happens on this revision of the Switch if you run a USB C cable from the bottom of the current dock to the Switch Lite. That's how I connect the current Switch to the TV without ever having to dock it. I imagine they simply disabled the ability to output to TV on the Lite. Also need to know if the screen is still cheap plastic or gorilla glass.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Omitting the ability to dock kills any interest I would have in this. I'm fine with all the other cuts, but not being able to play Smash or Mario Kart with friends on a TV makes this thing pretty pointless to me.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The biggest feature they removed is a Tegra platform feature that they get 'for free'. They actively had to work to disable it.
They'd be making the original switch obsolete by selling a $100 cheaper version that does the same thing. Also you dont know if it uses the same chipset or not.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've never used my switch on the tv, I might sell it and just get this if the build quality passes muster.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that would be great. I'd love to be able to migrate to and from the home device with something a little lighter to take on my commute.

For me it's that I don't want the kids breaking my Switch when out and about. But for them still to have the option to play on a big screen with sound system running at full pelt. 😂

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The TV option was removed because :
- they don't have to pack in a dock that way
- the battery size was reduced, which means it's heating less in portable mode (which was the point) and would have been heating much more in docked mode (to the point of potentially being dangerous for the internals)
- that's not the point of this device