• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Actually the smaller screen would make the usually low-res experience better, if anything.
Yeah, the CNET article mentions it's sharper (as it should be with the same resolution with a smaller screen). Also mentions it's harder to read some text because of the smaller screen.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Boom! Looks great! Not for me though...this will EXPLODE in sales! Does it have dedicated Bluetooth chip for Bluetooth headphones?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I think the lack of docking bothers me because the battery life did not increase enough to offset the loss of an option.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
They weren't going to confuse people with accessories. This is aiming to the same 2DS audience and let's remember how that model came with an AC adapter and the superior models didn't. No dock mode is the best option if there are no Joy-Cons. Just imagine people trying to fit the console into their current dock. Or new consumers buying a dock only to later find out they have no controllers to play with.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I will stick with my OG Switch till they announce a Pro model (or something of the like).

Will be interesting to see if this finds an audience, or rather if it'll be large enough.

For those criticizing the name – I would be interested in hearing good alternatives. Clearly it was not an easy trick: dropping the Switch name would have completely confused people, so Nintendo had to stick with it. Sure, the actual "switching" is no longer possible, but by now "Switch" has become a household name.

Personally I think "Switch Lite" is a good option, or rather the best possible compromise. "Lite" suggests the lighter built, but also the loss of some features, and in a positive way.

Plus I think they solved the problem caused by the lack of Joy Cons quite elegantly – you can still play those games, but you will need an extra pair of Joy Cons. Though I doubt people would really care about the handful of games (?) that require it.

Since I play both docked and handheld quite equally, it's not an option for me. But should prove interesting for those who were looking for a pure handheld.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Well that's the death knell for HD rumble. Gone the way of 3D on the 3ds. Not that it's been used particularly well either.

Won't that make some odyssey moons hard if not impossible?
Annoying, but not impossible. You'll just have to hunt around with no clues as to where it is. I beat the entire game, all Moons, using just the Pro controller with rumble turned off (since I hate rumble)

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
This is bizarre. As if the original Switch wasn't already confirmation of Nintendo's ability to completely miss the potential of a great idea, Nintendo somehow manages to make a handheld-only version of the Switch that has zero potential for docking OR for tabletop mode, as if the fact that you don't have Joy-Con to detach somehow makes a difference? Jesus.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting the Pokémon one as soon as it releases. I only play on handheld and my brother can have the OG Switch.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm watching the video and Koizumi mentions that the Lite only supports games that work in handheld mode. My question is though, is there any Switch games that DOESN'T support handheld mode? I was under the impression that they all do.

Only ones I can think of are Labo, Mario Party and 1-2-Switch. Maybe somebody posted more, but this thread exploded. Lol.

Now reveal the Nintendo Switch Advanced please!

I'm not gonna willingly bring the NSA into my home!

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
This is a great move all around. Japan will eat this up for people with long commutes and other than that just kids everywhere in general as a gift or something.

That being said, I couldn't have less interest in it personally.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That yellow and blue are so nice. I'm a 95% docked kinda guy so this makes no sense for me, especially since Nintendo's cloud save feature is pretty half baked. If they made it 100% seamless to transfer from one system to another though, I could be swayed to an impulse purchase.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
This is bizarre. As if the original Switch wasn't already confirmation of Nintendo's ability to completely miss the potential of a great idea, Nintendo somehow manages to make a handheld-only version of the Switch that has zero potential for docking OR for tabletop mode, as if the fact that you don't have Joy-Con to detach somehow makes a difference? Jesus.

Yeah, what a mistake of Nintendo to make this device that will sell millions.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Hopefully they don't use the same analog stick build they use in joycons, at least those you can swap out or fix.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If the display tech is the same and they are at the same brightness, the larger screen will pull more power.

If it's the same number of pixels and the same amount of light being pushed from the same display technology then it will pull the same power. Screen power draw is determined by the technology being used, number of pixels being controlled, and the brightness. Size is irrelevant. Even if there was some miniscule difference due to a smaller screen being able to use a more efficient backlight it wouldn't explain a 13% reduction in battery size and 25% increase in runtime (BOTW)

Oct 27, 2017
I barely ever have my Switch docked. I played nearly a 100 hours of Hollow Knight undocked, most of BOTW undocked. Cadence of Hyrule undocked... etc. This appeals to me quite a bit. Would have to wait and see how it handles moving game data from one to another, saves, SD card, etc.

Also not a fan of the smaller screen. I was hoping it would be at least the same size but with smaller bezels.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're not going to drop the portability on the Switch Pro for a Nintendo branded Nvidia Shield TV.

The Switch Pro will be a revision on the current model (like the New 3DS was to the 3DS) and it'll just replace the current model (like how cell phones get replaced).

The Switch Lite is a budget model designed to sell to kids and people who don't care about playing on a TV.

Its the equivalent of the 2DS/2DS XL to the 3DS.

Making a non portable Switch makes no sense.

Whoever said about dropping the portability altogether? I said the Pro could and should position itself more as a home console, without dropping the portability. Especially in the light of an portable-exclusive model like the Lite.

That being said, I couldn't be bothered by it personally and wouldn't lose a minute of sleep it they dropped it, but it's tied to the Switch brand (it's literally in the name) so they can't exactly drop it by saying "ehh, on second thought..." while still using the Switch name.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That yellow and blue are so nice. I'm a 95% docked kinda guy so this makes no sense for me, especially since Nintendo's cloud save feature is pretty half baked. If they made it 100% seamless to transfer from one system to another though, I could be swayed to an impulse purchase.
There's an option on the Switch to transfer your save game to another console. I think you'd still have the problem of the secondary Switch being limited in how long it can play your games, though.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wonder how long until we start seeing performance comparisons. I am going to assume it has the same performance as the base Switch, as there's currently no indication it doesn't, but I am eager to see for sure.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Guys one look at Nintendo's history and now especially this move soft confirms a Switch XL or hopefully Pro version is coming.