• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Looking at the battery life, it seems this may not use the new Tegra X1 revision we've been hearing about. Only a half hour more can probably be explained by the smaller screen and other optimizations.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but they're boxing the messaging in to say it "does not support TV Mode," not "it will support TV Mode through the Nintendo Switch Lite Dock (sold separately)."
It's a weird choice. The only reason I guess could be heat issues? Maybe they originally planned to make it dock but couldn't find a good way to dissipate the heat without making it a similar size to the full size Switch? The video-out stuff is all built in to the APU they use, the divots for the dock are there and it supports wireless controllers so there's not a lot of reason for it to not have that functionality.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How much internal storage does it have? I can't find any mention of it. I would think bumping it up to 64GBs would be nice but probably beyond what Nintendo would do

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
I highly doubt this is how Nintendo handles it but...

I wish they would have the rumoured "Switch Pro" model just be a more powerful OG Switch (which would replace all OG models going forward, so probably still just called Switch) and make a "Switch Home" model which is essentially the pro model but dock only (for the people who want the dedicated console experience only).

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Looks better but it doesn't deserve to be called a Switch since you can't detach the joycons or play on TV.

I'll hold onto my Switch until they revise it or make a more powerful version.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
But can I share my digital purchases across my OG and this?

Only way I can see juggling them making sense. I really wanted a more portable sidesystem, but not if it doesn't enable using it on the side.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
As a handheld gamer, Switch Lite looks so delicious. I have to get my hands on one. Doesn't matter if I already own the OG Switch, and I know a lot of handheld gamers feel the same way. It's all about the form factor.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Now they need a way to properly use the same account across multiple systems to justify me buying a 2nd.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No TV out? If I could handle my own save files myself I'd do it but that's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
If I had to take a guess, I believe they will gradually move from single device to two devices again for TV and portable gaming (only with the same ecosystem).
Next year I'm expecting the "TV only" counterpart.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
So the worst kept secret is finally revealed.

With no TV out capability I've got no interest in it, but I would've liked a cheaper Switch with a proper built-in dpad.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair on the people fearmongering, Nintendo does have a history of abandoning features with hardware revisions (3D, GBA support, face plates, New 3DS boosted power), but it definitely is ridiculous to jump to that conclusion this early, at least when it comes to docking.

The future of HD Rumble and other Joy-Con features is more in doubt than anything; I can't see them doing anything like Mario Odyssey's secret HD rumble moons again if a sizeable portion of the userbase can't find them.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
No reason for me to trade in my current Switch for this model since I do like playing docked. Even more interested in the "Pro" model now.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
And that's not possible with a normal Switch because....?

I guess she wants her own console, and we don't need a second dockable switch for over €100 more.
Like, i constantly leave my games running when in suspend the thing, and i figure she doesn't wanna need to ask for "permission" to quit out of my games.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But can I share my digital purchases across my OG and this?

Only way I can see juggling them making sense. I really wanted a more portable sidesystem, but not if it doesn't enable using it on the side.
definitely digital purchases will be able to be shared, what I'm concerned about is save files for games like animal crossing and Pokémon

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
It does only look slightly smaller than the regular Switch. Was hoping for something more portable but I guess they cant change the form factor that much.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's a weird choice. The only reason I guess could be heat issues? Maybe they originally planned to make it dock but couldn't find a good way to dissipate the heat without making it a similar size to the full size Switch? The video-out stuff is all built in to the APU they use, the divots for the dock are there and it supports wireless controllers so there's not a lot of reason for it to not have that functionality.
There's a remedy to this: just output to the TV at the same performance that's used in handheld mode.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo most likely had to put in some work just to disable the video out from USB-C Port. All in the name of business.

Other than that, its really cool.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the benefit of getting one myself as I already have a Switch. Considerably less functionality for only $100 less than the regular Switch. I'm sure it will sell well, but I'm slightly confused by it if I'm being honest.

I agree, this does not make sense to me. This would have to be $100-$150 for me to even consider it. The original does everything this does and far more. They say they are giving people options but they took many of them away.

There is no kick stand?

It should be $100-$125 or $150 and would have a bigger battery, better and brighter screen(See better in sunlight) and be able to dock(Dock not included).

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Relative to the current Switch. $100 off for no TV mode, no IR support, certain games not supported isn't enough. The consumer that only plays in handheld mode and assigns zero value to TV play only exists on Internet forums.

Changing the entire value proposition of the Switch - play at home or on the go - so as to offer a slight price cut doesn't make sense to me.
Well, that's simply not true.

The Lite is going to sell an incredible number of units. It not being for you is fine, but no one needs to worry about its future in the market.

Oct 25, 2017
How would design of a cable affect the price point of the new system if it's not included? And i'd argue they had more R&D to do for removing a connector than they would've done by keeping it.

Good grief. There enough people in this very thread that shows you that a more portable Switch with TV out would've enough demand.

Because they're going to have to make up the costs of producing it somewhere. It's costs *a lot of money* to design electronics. So are they going to try to make a profit off of these cables for a prohibitive price, a cable that would be used by a fraction of Switch Lite owners?

Also keep in mind that if you want to dock, you'd not only have to buy this cable or dock, but an HDMI cable and a controller as well. Again, the Switch Lite is for people who weren't tempted by the Switch at $300. It doesn't make sense.

"There enough people in this very thread that shows you that a more portable Switch with TV out would've enough demand."

lol my dude. This is one thread on a forum for gaming enthusiasts. I'll say it one more time. *We are not the target audience for this device*. It is for children and casual gamers.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely buy a switch lite in ATOMIC PURPLE

51TIgev9CUL.jpg
giphy.gif

Did they reveal the Lite's battery size?

No, just the average battery life is 30 minutes more than the switch

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They couldn't have improved the battery life more than half an hour? That's my biggest pet peeve about the Switch.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It does only look slightly smaller than the regular Switch. Was hoping for something more portable but I guess they cant change the form factor that much.
22% smaller and 31% lighter is a bigger difference than you'd think. It's not front pocket sized, but I mean, neither was the 3DS really. It'll fit in a jacket pocket now though.